White beer

Morgan

Used to hate this stuff when living in Edinburgh.

Saw one in Italy made by the company that make Moretti today and bought some to see if it was as crap as I remember it being.

It was.

Does anyone like this cloudy, funny tasting lager?

Daydream Believer

I quite like one pint of it but no more than that. I liked the Kronenbourg one but haven't seen it in a while.

You mean like an Erdinger type beer?

Love it actually, but only for one or two pints. Gets a bit too much and have to switch to something else!

Samuel Camazzola

I quite like one pint of it but no more than that. I liked the Kronenbourg one but haven't seen it in a while.

Kronenbourg Blanc IIRC.

Daydream Believer

Kronenbourg Blanc IIRC.

Yeah, that was it. Just googled it and it seems they still make it. Might pick some up tomorrow.

Jambo-Jimbo

Saw one in Italy made by the company that make Moretti today and bought some to see if it was as crap as I remember it being.

It was.

Not a great lover of Wheat Beer, but do try them on occasion, had one which is brewed in Venice, strangely called 'Bianca' and had a white label, funny enough, not that good to be honest.

I find it quite refreshing on a warm day, enjoy a pint or two of Hoegaarden, but not really a session beer for me.

?I've been checking out a lot of those new trendy IPAs that come in eclectic cans.  Some really nice beers among them, but need to be careful as some can be fairly potent, 6%+, 7%+ and higher.  The local offie sells one that is 10.2% ffs.  That would put the local jakies to shame with their Super Lager 8% pish.

Yeah, that was it. Just googled it and it seems they still make it. Might pick some up tomorrow.

It was taken out of the UK a number of years ago and I've not seen it here for a long time.

Daydream Believer

It was taken out of the UK a number of years ago and I've not seen it here for a long time.

You're right, that's a disappointment. Haven't thought about it in ages and now I'm dying for one and cant get it. :furious3:

I do like a Hoegaarden now and then . Some are minging . I had one that had a grapefruit twist to it . Made in the midlands but can't remember the name for the life of me . That was the absolute business .

You're right, that's a disappointment. Haven't thought about it in ages and now I'm dying for one and cant get it. :furious3:

Blue Moon is another wheat bear, Belgian style, quite pleasant and readily available.

It was.

As an aside Morgan, what do you recommend in the way of French Beer?  Just that my middle daughter is off to Toulouse next month for a year and I'm planning a visit in October. 

Lots of others around.

Decent Japanese one here that can be found in tesco and marks and Spencer https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/697/2013/

Meantimes wheat beer and Blue Moon is also decent. The markets huge.

I don't really drink them these days though so I'm a bit out of touch, I'm more into very hoppy American style IPA's these days.

As an aside Morgan, what do you recommend in the way of French Beer? Just that my middle daughter is off to Toulouse next month for a year and I'm planning a visit in October.

Drink wine instead. The beer in France is shit.

Daydream Believer

Incidentally, I'm drinking Marks and Spencer french lager right now.

It might be the worst lager I've ever tasted.

Really do like the wheat beer. Erdinger is tidy. Although I recently learned in Germany that it's not a 'sesh' beer. More a beer to be drunk with a meal.

I tanned about 10 pints of Hefe-Weizen and can't remember half the night. Was up at 5am on Saturday morning spewing and felt awful.

I was kind of thinking that may be the answer :)

Really do like the wheat beer. Erdinger is tidy. Although I recently learned in Germany that it's not a 'sesh' beer. More a beer to be drunk with a meal.

I tanned about 10 pints of Hefe-Weizen and can't remember half the night. Was up at 5am on Saturday morning spewing and felt awful.

if you like your wheat beer try this stuff, it is quite nice

Schneider-Weisse-Kampagnenbilder-tap7_0.

I got a mixed box of wheat beers from "Beerhawk" I've had a couple of other mixed boxes from them, really good company to deal with.

Not a great lover of Wheat Beer, but do try them on occasion, had one which is brewed in Venice, strangely called 'Bianca' and had a white label, funny enough, not that good to be honest.

Same name as my one tonight Jimbo.

Sorry the picture is askew!

IMG_0684.jpg

Doctor FinnBarr

Blue Moon is another wheat bear, Belgian style, quite pleasant and readily available.

It should be Belgian style, the guy that sold the Hoe brewery to Interbev (I think) moved to the USA where he now brews Blue Moon

As an aside Morgan, what do you recommend in the way of French Beer?  Just that my middle daughter is off to Toulouse next month for a year and I'm planning a visit in October.

French beer is pish.

I quite like 1664, my wife hates it.

Thankfully, because we live more or less on the French/Italian border we buy most of our stuff in Italy and have access to well priced and good Italian beers - Peroni, Moretti, Nastro, Porettii, Menabrea.

My beer of choice however is Heineken believe it or not.

Favourite lager ever though is the fantastic Estrella from Barcelona.

Enjoy Toulouse by the way, we've been there once for a football match and it was a really cool place.

Lovely stuff.

Not something for regular drinking but a nice glass with dinner is the business.

did i read that right? Morgan turning his nose up at a beer?

:lol:

Still drank it like!

:olly:

Off topic slightly but I'm thoroughly enjoying my first one of these tonight with some excellent German smoked cheese.

CraftyHen_058620a.jpg

Off topic slightly but I'm thoroughly enjoying my first one of these tonight with some excellent German smoked cheese.CraftyHen_058620a.jpg

Is that like Old Speckled Hen Bauld?

Mate of mine in Edinburgh used to do five or six pints of OSH every lunchtime.

:phface:

Had that on a recent work trip to Italy. Was ok, but nothing great.

:thumb:

Mind you, at 99 cents for 66cl it's not to be sniffed at.

That's what I paid today.

Won't buy again though.

so that explains why jonno is the way he is

Old speckled hen but a bit stronger. 6.5%

OSH is 5.2% which I drink often and enjoy as well as the old golden hen.

This stuff goes down very nice though and I'm not a lightweight by any means but you get a lovely wee buzz off this after about 3/4 of the way through.

Nice, think I paid a fair bit more in a supermarket. Do you go to some kind of hypermarche?

Nope, just a standard supermarket near Sanremo.

French beer is pish.

I quite like 1664, my wife hates it.

Thankfully, because we live more or less on the French/Italian border we buy most of our stuff in Italy and have access to well priced and good Italian beers - Peroni, Moretti, Nastro, Porettii, Menabrea.

My beer of choice however is Heineken believe it or not.

Favourite lager ever though is the fantastic Estrella from Barcelona.

Enjoy Toulouse by the way, we've been there once for a football match and it was a really cool place.

Cheers Morgan, might stick to the French wine or 'foreign' beers when I'm over.

Estrella is a lovely pint, been to Barcelona a few times and love the city.  Nothing better than enjoying a cold pint of Estrella while soaking up the sun.

It should be Belgian style, the guy that sold the Hoe brewery to Interbev (I think) moved to the USA where he now brews Blue Moon

Blue Moon is brewed by Coors.

Auld Reekin'

Hefeweiss is brilliant - unlike yourself, I find it's the German beer that gives me the fewest problems the next day: my head and guts are usually OK, unlike when I've been on the pils or export or whatever. The unflitered (Klosterbier? / Zwickl?) lagers are great too: cloudy but really tasty and don't often get hangovers after knocking back a good few litres of the stuff. Deutschesbier ?ber alles!

Some of the seasonal brews they do are pretty good also. Unfortunately never make it over here, but always worth a try when over in the USA

Harry Potter

Mind i had 2 pints of old speckled hen in Ryries after a Hearts game, you knew you had downed a rich beer.

As for wheat beer, normally have lager.

Mind i had 2 pints of old speckled hen in Ryries after a Hearts game, you knew you had downed a rich beer.

As for wheat beer, normally have lager.

Two pints Harry?

Reckless beast.

:lol:

Except for this stuff....

3836_1_1.jpg

Usually found in 75cl bottles without a closer so there's always a good portion

Jambo-Jimbo

Same name as my one tonight Jimbo.

Sorry the picture is askew!

IMG_0684.jpg

This is the one I had in Venice.

bianca_comp.jpg

Wasn't that good to be honest.

The best Venetian brewed beer I had was a ruby beer called San Marco (8.6%), the lager was bog standard and the Rossa was ok just.

Had a bottle of beer at Caffe Florian (their own label) ?13 for a 330ml bottle, expensive I know, but hey just had to be done when in Venice, besides I didn't have a choice as the wife wanted to have a glass of wine and a sandwich at Caffe Florian in St. Mark's Square.

French Beer,

Upon checking, I've had a wheat beer from Corsica called Colomba which for a wheat beer was alright, had a hint of lemon flavour to it, according to my notes.

Used to be quite partial to CH'TI Amber, not had one of them for quite some time now.

Apart from that there isn't really any other French beers I've tried which stand out.

if you like your wheat beer try this stuff, it is quite nice

Schneider-Weisse-Kampagnenbilder-tap7_0.

I'll keep my eyes peeled. :thumbsup:

Hefeweiss is brilliant - unlike yourself, I find it's the German beer that gives me the fewest problems the next day: my head and guts are usually OK, unlike when I've been on the pils or export or whatever. The unflitered (Klosterbier? / Zwickl?) lagers are great too: cloudy but really tasty and don't often get hangovers after knocking back a good few litres of the stuff. Deutschesbier ?ber alles!

Previously I'd heard that it doesn't give you a hangover. But my German mates told me the morning after I tanned a fair bit, that because it's extremely gassy, it's not great to drink a lot.

Remember being in Munich a few years back. Could buy bottles of Erdinger, Schneider Weiss, Weihenstephan etc in the local Aldi for about 70 cents, 20 cents of which was the bottle deposit!

Archived