Liam Smith wanted by St Mirren

wattie exploited

wattie exploited

according to the sun Liam Smith is wanted on loan by Saint Mirren  .

I know he is meant to be injured right now but I thought Hearts would be wanting him as back up .

Cruyff Turn

Would be a good move for him. He'll get games and experience. I don't think he's good enough for the Hearts first team but he could become a decent FB at this level 3/4 years down the road. Reckon Brandon is seen as the better prospect.

Son Of Anarchy

Send him there. Let him take a dump on top of their boardroom table and return to us as backup.

Elias Henry Furst

Not good enough.

Release.

The young lad who played st Parkhead will provide adequate cover for Smith

Grizzly does the same at left back.

Not needed

Sadly don't think he is going to be good enough for us. Think a loan or permanent move is probably best.

Gorgie_Rules

I think they'll have a decent season St Mirren, if he can get 30+ games in a team thats having a semi-decent season then it'll be easier for us to guage by his performances whether he can cut it at us or not.

It seems to be unless youngsters hit the ground running for us then they don't really make it, there has been few that the jury is out on for over a year that suddenly become consistently good. Walker, Paterson, McGowan, Nicholson, Gordon, Berra etc all made immediate impact.

Finlay James

It'd be a good move for him.

Jack Ross has them firing and I'd expect see them top half so a season playing at that level will do him no harm.

Brandon looks very capable of being our back up RB this season.

On a side note, what ever happened to the Canadian lad, Godinho?

From reading between the lines, I get the impression that the real star in the making for RB going forward is the young boy Jay Sandison? Anyone know much more about him?

i wish jj was my dad

I like Liam. He will need games this season in his favoured position so difficult choice for the club

Hearts and Jack Ross didn't appear to part on the best of terms....will we send one of our players on loan to a team he manages ? I have my doubts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A_A wehatethehibs

Send him there for the season, with a recall option if we get a long term injury to Smith. Jack Ross is a good manager and 30 games in the championship might just be the kicker for smith to step up the intensity of his game. Between Brandon and McGhee we would have enough cover for RWB for resting Smith.

the jambo poet

Will be good for him to obtain games in his favoured position. An injury free confident season in the championship would be good for the lad. As with a few of our up and coming young defenders they are moved around the defensive positions too often and don't nail a position through no fault of their own. A season down there may be the making of him.

Jambof3tornado

Hearts and Jack Ross didn't appear to part on the best of terms....will we send one of our players on loan to a team he manages ? I have my doubts.

Jack Ross is still highly regarded so yes we may well send a player to them on loan.

I like Liam. He will need games this season in his favoured position so difficult choice for the club

I don't think it's difficult at all, just sell him to St Mirren, he is not good enough for Hearts.

I like Liam Smith. Initially I wasn't sure about him and its clear he isn't a particularly 'special' prospect like Paterson for example but he (as others have said) could be a very solid player at this level in a couple years time.

I'd love us to try and get a one club player out of one of the youth players we promote and I think Smith is Solid enough yet unspectacular enough for that to happen.

I don't mean that to sound negative about Smith, you can see he puts 100% effort in every game and I like his work rate. A 343/352 seems to actually suit him and had brought him onto a bit of a game all things considered. 

The Apprentice

Smith needs a proper run of games at a decent level so I think a move to someone like St Mirren would be good for him. It's clear Michael Smith is first choice so it'll be a case of Liam sitting on the bench playing the odd game here or there which won't benefit him. I must say I have my doubts whether he's the answer long-term, but getting him out playing regular football for a full season in the Championship will give the Management a chance to make a proper judgement on him.

I thought he looked back to his confident self towards the end of last season. When he first broke through, I thought he was guaranteed to be a proper player, but he seemed to lose his way a bit.

I don?t think things are as bad with CL and Jack Ross as it is perceived

Sy

Jack Ross seemingly very highly rated as a coach. Interesting to watch who, from his time at Tynecastle, he in turn rates highly enough to come looking for. Believe Nathan Flanagan already made move to St M, albeit now out on loan and likely to line up against us today as an East Fife player.

Caveat - Sun so all probably single fish anyway

Bazzas right boot

Smith is a decent player that was hung out to dry at left back.

Is he good enough for us, he needs a run at right back to be proven other way?

I think he hs the potential to be a good right back, a loan move to a  team doing well in the championship would be a good move for him and let us decide on his future.

Brandon is also good enough to fill in for a few games if need be for us, so a loan move for Smith makes sense for all parties.

Neilson was a far better player when he returned from a loan with QoS, possibly a stint at St Mirren could have the same effect for Smith rather than him being in and out the team and not playing regularly?

Brandon is still there to offer cover. How far is Godinho from being 1st team ready as he could be another backup option

Smith finished the season pretty well for us when he got a run at RB, he was very good at Ibrox. He needs to bulk up a bit and find some consistency and he isn't going to be first choice this year,so I think a season of playing first team football in a decent championship side could be excellent for him. Then he can come back and we can guage how much he's improved and if he's ready to challenge.

kylelauren01

Here we ago - people hailing Jamie Brandon as the new Cafu after how many games? In 10 games he'll be pish like Liam Smith, Kevin McHattie and numerous others. I truly despair.

To me suggests that Hearts feel Brandon can be back up at the moment.

Brandon's shown that he wouldn't be out of place as back up for Michael Smith, and in turn that would allow Liam Smith to go out and get a full season of first team football which would benefit all parties.

Here we ago - people hailing Jamie Brandon as the new Cafu after how many games? In 10 games he'll be pish like Liam Smith, Kevin McHattie and numerous others. I truly despair.

I don't see anyone doing that. Suggesting that the club rate him as the more likley cover for right back is not comparing him to anyone other than perhaps the potential candidates for that position. Smith is unlikley to get much better and if the club feel that he isn't good enough then fair enough. As for McHattie, I liked him going forward but he was simply unable to defend a ball over his head due to poor positional sense. Do you think he was Cafu?

Brandon's shown that he wouldn't be out of place as back up for Michael Smith, and in turn that would allow Liam Smith to go out and get a full season of first team football which would benefit all parties.

Nowak back up too

It could be a good move if it comes off

Still not sure about Liam Smith. Consistent good performances would give him a chance. Championship might be too low a level though.

Futurejambo1

This makes sense for both parties, Smith doesnt want to sit on a bench playing odd minutes throughout the season and wants to go on loan to get games and improve as a player, the club want him to play regularly but can't guarantee games so best solution is to go out on loan. I've seen enough to suggest that he is a decent prospect and should have been given a run after Calum's injury. I'm sure he will go on to have a decent career just remains to be seen whether it's with heats or otherwise.

:wtf:

Three posters have referred to Brandon as "decent back up", one said he reckons he's "considered the better prospect". Insanely over-the-top praise, I agree. Poor boy will never live up to the billing he's being given.

John Findlay

He's one of the defenders at the club who can actually defend. He is a very good tackler and for a natural right footer is not to shabby with his left. I wouldn't send the laddie out on loan.

Both Liam and Angus Beith are starting to run out of time imo, they're at that awkward sink or swim stage between the development team and the first team and if either of them are going to develop into capable spfl players then they're only going to get there with this type of loan, if they both get leapfrogged by the younger Brandon and Cochrane then it's game over for them imo, on another note I was looking forward to seeing if Zanatta had developed into a useful player for the first team but he's really not featured much so far, really hope either him or the talented Moore can be the next breakthrough player

Sent from my F5121 using Tapatalk

I'd be happy for him to go. Even 6 months to start with. If you look at him versus Paterson he needs to massively bulk up.

Bridge of Djoum

Agreed.

Sennd them Liam Smith. He's pish.

No, he's not.

Your spelling, however.......

grumpyespana

It's in the Sun. And we're playing East Fife this weekend.

Say no more.

:smiley2:

Sorry Craig but I cannie see a connection to be honest lol.

Gene Parmesan

Regular game time under a good coach at a decent level. This would be a very useful move for Liam Smith I think.

Archived