Uber, any drivers on here?

grumpyjambo

My mate ordered us an uber last weekend at 3am to get us all home. Four of us in the taxi and the driver had to do a bit of driving around the city (town - Granton - Slateford - Corstorphine) but nothing out of the ordinary.

?54. Why he proceeded to pay that when he knew the price was beyond me. I only found out the other night that's how much it cost.

Wasn't Uber but my girlfriend ordered us a private hire to take us from Muirhouse to Dalkeith. I expected to go straight through the Waterfront, Harry Lauder Road and bypass.

Instead driver turned left towards Lauriston Farm and D Mains, back along Ferry Road, up past the Western, round Charlotte Square, up Lothian Road and through the Leadows before linking up with the bus route through Gilmerton all the way.

****ing crook.

Heartsmad1874

Wasn't Uber but my girlfriend ordered us a private hire to take us from Muirhouse to Dalkeith. I expected to go straight through the Waterfront, Harry Lauder Road and bypass.

Instead driver turned left towards Lauriston Farm and D Mains, back along Ferry Road, up past the Western, round Charlotte Square, up Lothian Road and through the Leadows before linking up with the bus route through Gilmerton all the way.

****ing crook.

I doubt taxi drivers ever take shortcuts :lol:

****ing crook.

Except for going in the wrong direction at the start (the curse of the private hire reading sat nav's I suspect) it is probably the shorter route that he took - I don't know enough about taxi's to suggest that it would necessarily be the cheaper!  Perhaps a friendly JKB taxi driver could comment

Never used them but did install the app.

To be fair, they do tell you the estimated fare about three times, and the rate it has been multiplied by at peak times before you confirm your booking, so you get plenty time to back out.

Howdy Doody Jambo

****ing crook.

Should always say if you have a preferred route, through the meadows seems more direct, bypass is always a gamble traffic can be horrendous

Seymour M Hersh

Except for going in the wrong direction at the start (the curse of the private hire reading sat nav's I suspect) it is probably the shorter route that he took - I don't know enough about taxi's to suggest that it would necessarily be the cheaper!  Perhaps a friendly JKB taxi driver could comment

Would it not depend where exactly in Muirhouse the starting point was. Also the poster didn't really make it clear if the driver took them all the way to Cramond Rd South then back up to D Mains and along Main St. Now that would be a terrible route.

I use Uber in cities where cabs are generally shit (in India, USA, South East Asia, Australia) but when I have been back in Edinburgh I am always happy to use a cab.  I have to say I have never had a problem with Uber anywhere.  They've always been great.

In Edinburgh though, it is nice getting into a cab, telling the driver the address and then getting dropped right at the front door.  Get in a cab in Sydney and they don't even know which suburb you're going to.

Should always say if you have a preferred route, through the meadows seems more direct, bypass is always a gamble traffic can be horrendous

It was about 2 in the morning. :lol:

Sorry I should've added that to my post. I was reeking so didn't even tipple until the next morning.

Seymour M Hersh

I use Uber in cities where cabs are generally shit (in India, USA, South East Asia, Australia) but when I have been back in Edinburgh I am always happy to use a cab.  I have to say I have never had a problem with Uber anywhere.  They've always been great.

In Edinburgh though, it is nice getting into a cab, telling the driver the address and then getting dropped right at the front door.  Get in a cab in Sydney and they don't even know which suburb you're going to.

Maybe you should tell them.  :smuggy:

if i want a taxi anywhere in Edinbrugh then Uber is my 1st point of call, yes there are occasions when there is surge pricing or there's nothing really available but the vast majority of the time there is an Uber a few mins away that will take me where I want to go for a good bit less than a black cab.

Normally drink in the Black Bull on Leith Street and an Uber from there home (just next to Ocean terminal) is almost never more than 6 quid, black cab is at least 8 quid. Not to mention the glorious peace and quiet you get in an Uber, not once had to endure 'cabby banter'   

• 2 weeks later...
grumpyjambo

Drove for uber for about a year just finished up a few weeks ago when they never paid me for nearly 2 weeks due to a computer problem! What do you want to know

Retiring soon and looking at a couple of shifts a week at the Private Hire taxis, just wondering how Uber treat their drivers and if it is worth considering.

I've used gett and uber but do favour gett. That said in the 2 occasions I have had a problem it was sorted within 15 minutes.

The major one was a wrong route home. A journey that should have been around ?16 cost me ?38. I emailed them with my grievance and I was refunded the entire fare and given a fiver credit for the hassle.

I found their customer service decent. Haven't used them in ages though

No point using Uber in Edinburgh - Gett have a much better service.

No surcharging, a hell of a lot more cars and they know exactly where they're going. 

sick.of.romanov

Retiring soon and looking at a couple of shifts a week at the Private Hire taxis, just wondering how Uber treat their drivers and if it is worth considering.

They've put too many cars on the circuit now. To rent a car your talking roughly ?175 a week. A 12 hour shift will earn you about ?75-?100 before fuel and everything else you have to take off. I wouldn't recommend uber now fares are too cheap and not enough work to compensate for that. You would have to make ur own mind up though

Archived