Uber, any drivers on here?

grumpyjambo

luckyBatistuta

I'll say bad, guessing the poor girl at Meadowbank would agree too.

Killing the black cab industry apparently

Black cab industry caught with their pants down and refuse to move with the times. They're getting a kick up the arse and they're only killing themselves by not changing.

Bridge of Djoum

I'll say bad, guessing the poor girl at Meadowbank would agree too.

Forgive my ignorance, what happened?

luckyBatistuta

Forgive my ignorance, what happened?

Pretty much the worst possible thing.

luckyBatistuta

Murder?

Not quite, the worst thing that could happen to a female making her way home with someone she trusts to get her there safely.

Thing that makes my blood boil is that they report these things as 'taxi driver' so we get labelled along with this scumbag who isn't a 'taxi driver'

KevinKyle10

Black cab industry caught with their pants down and refuse to move with the times. They're getting a kick up the arse and they're only killing themselves by not changing.

Not sure about that, you can order a black cab through the GettApp in exactly the same fashion as uber, just it's a black cab, and cheaper.

Not sure about that, you can order a black cab through the GettApp in exactly the same fashion as uber, just it's a black cab, and cheaper.

So why are uber killing their jobs? Black cabs are generally better so if they're also cheaper then surely they have nothing to worry about?

Alwayssunnyingorgie

I spoke to one the other day, they get loads of ?3fares so don't really make much money.

luckyBatistuta

Who says they're killing our jobs?

As KK said, there is now the Gett app for black taxis, which is world wide and a similar kind of setup as the ?ber one. You can use it abroad too, hardly not changing is it.

KevinKyle10

So why are uber killing their jobs? Black cabs are generally better so if they're also cheaper then surely they have nothing to worry about?

Sorry meant "often cheaper." Apologies.

I don't know the answer to that, I was just responding to your comment about not moving with the times. In that respect I don't know what else they can do.

I know personally I'd always use a Black Cab, just with their actual tests to get a plate and was always led to belief taxi drivers had to have background checks (not sure if that's accurate, but don't ruin it for me.)

Bridge of Djoum

I don't know the answer to that, I was just responding to your comment about not moving with the times. In that respect I don't know what else they can do.

I know personally I'd always use a Black Cab, just with their actual tests to get a plate and was always led to belief taxi drivers had to have background checks (not sure if that's accurate, but don't ruin it for me.)

Don't worry, Kevin. You're a good 6'3 and ugly as ****. No one will mess with you.

Dr. Sheldon Cooper

My mate ordered us an uber last weekend at 3am to get us all home. Four of us in the taxi and the driver had to do a bit of driving around the city (town - Granton - Slateford - Corstorphine) but nothing out of the ordinary.

?54. Why he proceeded to pay that when he knew the price was beyond me. I only found out the other night that's how much it cost.

luckyBatistuta

My mate ordered us an uber last weekend at 3am to get us all home. Four of us in the taxi and the driver had to do a bit of driving around the city (town - Granton - Slateford - Corstorphine) but nothing out of the ordinary.

?54. Why he proceeded to pay that when he knew the price was beyond me. I only found out the other night that's how much it cost.

And yet they play on the fact they're cheaper, but don't tell the whole story.

Dynamic pricing, great loyalty to your customers. During the London terror attacks, they screwed people trying to get away and get home, by putting the fare up by over twice the price.

So when you most need them, which is the busy times, they ram you with price hikes that are scandalous.

Killing the black cab industry apparently

Now that is a catastrophe.........

So when you most need them, which is the busy times, they ram you with price hikes that are scandalous.

On the assumption that you, yourself are an exemplary member of your trade - did you mean that the way it reads?

luckyBatistuta

Now that is a catastrophe.........

On the assumption that you, yourself are an exemplary member of your trade - did you mean that the way it reads?

As in?

This.

The comparison drawn between "Taxi" and "Uber" (and/or Private Hire if that fits within remit of "Hire"?) and the implementation of fare structure.

Shanks said no

Wouldn't touch Uber with a barge pole, always black cabs for our family.

I used Uber a lot in DC - there were more available and 'cabs' weren't licensed in the same way as they are here. It was great over there, never had a bad experience with a driver and when one did take a longer than normal route, I got a refund. However, talking to the drivers - they seemed to get screwed over backwards. A low rating by one customer and they'll axe you, fine you or a host of other things according to one driver. It was quite obvious to see that the drivers were desperate for a high rating - free water, gum, phone charging cables, snacks etc - they weren't making a lot of money either.

The 'surge' when it's busy, i.e. fri/sat nights, was up as much as 7 times the normal rate. Checked in LA once (2am on Sat morning) and it was at 12 times - we managed to get a normal cab fairly quickly and cost next to nothing. I hear that it still only reaches about twice the normal rate here, however that's because they're still building a customer base. The prices and surge amounts will go up once they have more drivers/customers in Edinburgh. 

I would definitely use again in the states, but it's completely different here. Black cabs are highly regulated - the drivers have Disclosure Scotland (if working for a company, Central etc), they know where they're going (the cab test sounds pretty difficult) and the majority won't screw you over as the repercussions from their company and/or council are pretty severe. 

I downloaded Gett a couple weeks ago - it does everything Uber does but with black cabs. There's a lot more of them, they're cheaper (no surge charging) and the drivers know where they're going. If you're one for leaving stuff in the back of the cab, it's easy to get back in touch with the driver as well. 

I'd go with in Gett in Edinburgh every time over Uber. 

luckyBatistuta

I used Uber a lot in DC - there were more available and 'cabs' weren't licensed in the same way as they are here. It was great over there, never had a bad experience with a driver and when one did take a longer than normal route, I got a refund. However, talking to the drivers - they seemed to get screwed over backwards. A low rating by one customer and they'll axe you, fine you or a host of other things according to one driver. It was quite obvious to see that the drivers were desperate for a high rating - free water, gum, phone charging cables, snacks etc - they weren't making a lot of money either.

The 'surge' when it's busy, i.e. fri/sat nights, was up as much as 7 times the normal rate. Checked in LA once (2am on Sat morning) and it was at 12 times - we managed to get a normal cab fairly quickly and cost next to nothing. I hear that it still only reaches about twice the normal rate here, however that's because they're still building a customer base. The prices and surge amounts will go up once they have more drivers/customers in Edinburgh. 

I would definitely use again in the states, but it's completely different here. Black cabs are highly regulated - the drivers have Disclosure Scotland (if working for a company, Central etc), they know where they're going (the cab test sounds pretty difficult) and the majority won't screw you over as the repercussions from their company and/or council are pretty severe. 

I downloaded Gett a couple weeks ago - it does everything Uber does but with black cabs. There's a lot more of them, they're cheaper (no surge charging) and the drivers know where they're going. If you're one for leaving stuff in the back of the cab, it's easy to get back in touch with the driver as well. 

I'd go with in Gett in Edinburgh every time over Uber.

Good post

This.

The comparison drawn between "Taxi" and "Uber" (and/or Private Hire if that fits within remit of "Hire"?) and the implementation of fare structure.

As I said in another post on here mate, I've had a wee drink as I'm off tomorrow. Could you explain what your getting at in simple terms please :lol:

As someone who drove a black during my uni years, I wish nothing but misery on the superior complexed arseholes of the black cab 'trade'.

Fair enough you find a few nice cabbies if you meet enough of them, however ive never heard so much racism or bile spewed at other humans in my life, ie: muslim private hire drivers.

Anyway I support muslim/polish (or whatever) families coming to Scotland and finding a private hire 'trade' to provide and make a life for their families.

Just couldn't and wouldn't get on the I'm better than you bandwagon because I paid Jim Kerlin 400 sheets and memorised a listed of streets and main roads to become a superior human being.

Ever met a taxi driver who paid meaningful tax? Of course the Kickback taxi forumites will say they pay tax, but ask any taxi driver you are good friends with and if they are honest, minimum tax if any is paid. Outwith perhaps some drivers that want a credit rating/income over a few years for mortgages purposes or whatever, before reverting back to making ?9999 per year or whatever it suits their best interests.

So in my opinion the black cab trade has a bunch of jumped up tax dodging racist thieves, complaining about foreign private hire drivers.... then Uber - ruining their 'trade', probably next it will be Gettit cut price fares, followed by driverless cars. All the while sitting in the privileged position of using greenways and other streets.

Which brings me to my concluding point... complaining about Uber and trying to block there license in major cities is looking out for ones on best interests. Just like the Muslims family man driving private hire is looking out for his best interests. They are no different, we are all people, we all want the best for ourselves and our loved ones. So stop sitting in your Black being a total arsehole.

Roll on driverless cars, they will be here sooner than you think. Ill welcome them with open arms because they will be cheaper than a driver operated car. The future is bright, the future complies with my own and other punters best interests.

-Mic-drop

luckyBatistuta

Just couldn't and wouldn't get on the I'm better than you bandwagon because I paid Jim Kerlin 400 sheets and memorised a listed of streets and main roads to become a superior human being.

So in my opinion the black cab trade has a bunch of jumped up tax dodging racist thieves

Just couldn't and wouldn't...and yet you did....supposedly.

Oh wait, if you actually did, does that make you a...

jumped up tax dodging racist thief?

We're horrible people according to you, but yet you just slagged off and tarred thousands of people with the same brush :facepalm:

Unknown user

Just couldn't and wouldn't...and yet you did....supposedly.

Oh wait, if you actually did, does that make you a...

jumped up tax dodging racist thief?

We're horrible people according to you, but yet you just slagged off and tarred thousands of people with the same brush :facepalm:

No offence intended, I like you as a poster, but didn't you do exactly the same when you slagged uber drivers?

Bridge of Djoum

Back on topic lads....

Any Uber drivers in the house??

luckyBatistuta

No offence intended, I like you as a poster, but didn't you do exactly the same when you slagged uber drivers?

No offence taken :thumb:

I'm not seeing the post where I slagged them all off bud. I did single out 'a scumbag' which was reported as a taxi driver, which he isn't.

Edit: the post where I said they ram you with their price hikes...that's not the drivers, that's Uber, so not slagging them off there either.

Unknown user

No offence taken :thumb:

I'm not seeing the post where I slagged them all off bud. I did single out 'a scumbag' which was reported as a taxi driver, which he isn't.

Edit: the post where I said they ram you with their price hikes...that's not the drivers, that's Uber, so not slagging them off there either.

Gotcha, I didn't know that's something uber did themselves, fair play :thumbsup:

luckyBatistuta

Gotcha, I didn't know that's something uber did themselves, fair play :thumbsup:

Cheers :thumb:

Craig Gordons Gloves

I'm not an Uber driver but I use them often, as Toggie says, it's way different over here in terms of regulations and licensing of regular cabs. One thing I've found is that Uber cars tend to be cleaner and more comfortable than the ex police cars favored by taxis here.

I have 2 friends that drove for Uber, both while between jobs. They didn't really need the money but wanted to get out and do stuff. One of them drove an Audi Q7 so was rated as a select car, he always just did airport runs and enjoyed meeting lots of people. The other did it to stop being bored and really enjoyed it. Neither of them made a huge amount.

Seymour M Hersh

Than what? Uber or the normal price you'd get charged in a hackney? As for the background checks I believe all licensed drivers in Edinburgh whether private hire or hackney have these checks done by the council/police.

I'll always choose Uber over a black cab. Why would I pay more to sit in a bone rattling loud and uncomfortable ancient design of a car?

luckyBatistuta

I'll always choose Uber over a black cab. Why would I pay more to sit in a bone rattling loud and uncomfortable ancient design of a car?

Each to your their own mate, it's your choice. Just got to defend my taxi here, it's a brand new Mercedes with all the latest, air con,leather,cup holders, charging points etc

Each to your their own mate, it's your choice. Just got to defend my taxi here, it's a brand new Mercedes with all the latest, air con,leather,cup holders, charging points etc

Fair enough mate.

Riddley Walker

Happy ending?

Stuart Lyon

LB - i normally prefer the 5 seater cabs but a few weeks ago I hailed one of the big ones and it turned out to be a Merc with all the luxury you describe - a very comfortable ride home and the automatic doors are a blessing especially after a few pints.

luckyBatistuta

LB - i normally prefer the 5 seater cabs but a few weeks ago I hailed one of the big ones and it turned out to be a Merc with all the luxury you describe - a very comfortable ride home and the automatic doors are a blessing especially after a few pints.

Thanks bud,

My passengers are always commenting on how great the doors are.

The step is also lower than the traditional hackney for the slightly older folk, not that I'm saying...

3fingersreid

uber , massive backers to donald trump , that says it all really

AlphonseCapone

As someone who drove a black during my uni years, I wish nothing but misery on the superior complexed arseholes of the black cab 'trade'.

Fair enough you find a few nice cabbies if you meet enough of them, however ive never heard so much racism or bile spewed at other humans in my life, ie: muslim private hire drivers.

Anyway I support muslim/polish (or whatever) families coming to Scotland and finding a private hire 'trade' to provide and make a life for their families.

Ever met a taxi driver who paid meaningful tax? Of course the Kickback taxi forumites will say they pay tax, but ask any taxi driver you are good friends with and if they are honest, minimum tax if any is paid. Outwith perhaps some drivers that want a credit rating/income over a few years for mortgages purposes or whatever, before reverting back to making ?9999 per year or whatever it suits their best interests.

So in my opinion the black cab trade has a bunch of jumped up tax dodging racist thieves, complaining about foreign private hire drivers.... then Uber - ruining their 'trade', probably next it will be Gettit cut price fares, followed by driverless cars. All the while sitting in the privileged position of using greenways and other streets.

Which brings me to my concluding point... complaining about Uber and trying to block there license in major cities is looking out for ones on best interests. Just like the Muslims family man driving private hire is looking out for his best interests. They are no different, we are all people, we all want the best for ourselves and our loved ones. So stop sitting in your Black being a total arsehole.

Roll on driverless cars, they will be here sooner than you think. Ill welcome them with open arms because they will be cheaper than a driver operated car. The future is bright, the future complies with my own and other punters best interests.

-Mic-drop

Can't believe you actually said "mic-drop", I'm cringing for you.

luckyBatistuta

Can't believe you actually said "mic-drop", I'm cringing for you.

IMG_3200.gif

sick.of.romanov

Back on topic lads....

Any Uber drivers in the house??

Drove for uber for about a year just finished up a few weeks ago when they never paid me for nearly 2 weeks due to a computer problem! What do you want to know

William H. Bonney

Drove for uber for about a year just finished up a few weeks ago when they never paid me for nearly 2 weeks due to a computer problem! What do you want to know

I've got a question. What the **** is an uber driver?

luckyBatistuta

Well I think uber means a supreme example of something, so is that not a someone who drives a black taxi...

Just saying :cornette:

The Real Maroonblood

It's a driver that is above.

As in Deutschland ?ber alles.

deesidejambo

Who says they're killing our jobs?

As KK said, there is now the Gett app for black taxis, which is world wide and a similar kind of setup as the ?ber one. You can use it abroad too, hardly not changing is it.

Thanks for the info on Gett.  Just downloaded it.  Looks good but doesn't it disadvantage drivers as there is no option to tip if you use card to pay?

luckyBatistuta

Thanks for the info on Gett. Just downloaded it. Looks good but doesn't it disadvantage drivers as there is no option to tip if you use card to pay?

You can add that on the app after if you want too and also rate the driver.

Archived