Van Dijk

hueyview

vegas-voss

Did Le Tessier not say last season he would rather Van Dijk went as it was Jose Conte that was the rock for Southampton.

Hearts_fan

In a league where you get ?100m for getting relegated, they're going to pay tens of millions for proven quality defenders. Though absurd, ?60m is hardly surprising given the prize money being dished out. And we have kids living in poverty on this island!

Azpilicueta (6.5M)

Alderweireld (11.4M)

Vertonghen (12M)

There's what the best three defenders in the league cost. None of them do anything majorly special (not may defenders do), they can all play any position across the backline and rarely make any mistakes.

Van Dijk for 50/60M? Crack on Liverpool.

Lucille's Thirsty

Azpilicueta (6.5M)

Alderweireld (11.4M)

Vertonghen (12M)

There's what the best three defenders in the league cost. None of them do anything majorly special (not may defenders do), they can all play any position across the backline and rarely make any mistakes.

In what world would Chelsea or Spurs sell their best players to a direct rival though?

If you think Chelsea would let azpilicueta go for ?6.5M now or Vertonghen or Alderweireld for that money you are deluded if those players are sold they'll go for 3x what they were brought in for.

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic

The fee doesn't matter in the EPL now. All 20 clubs basically have a limitless supply of money.

rudi must stay

A good wee period where Celtic made some good signings.

Unfortunately for everyone else they still are. Eboue in the midfield looks a great athlete, and they got him for ?2 million. Yes they have more money than everyone else but they scout well, there's a lesson there for the other SPL teams

Alderwierald is the best centre back, although he wasn't bought from another PL club, that's the reason for the astronomical price tag, two PL teams involved in a top centre back = crazy price tag.

Imagine what it would do to our club if we got ?60 Million for John Souttar?

It would revolutionise everything. New players, new facilities, new everything. It would more than pay for the new stand and it would probably win us the League to boot. We could buy Hibs outright, and turn their stadium into a Sunday Car Boot Sale location.

Now think about what ?60 Million means to your standard English Premier League team - it's just one more player. Chump change. Hardly worth the time and effort considering the prize money and TV money available.

Madness. ?60 Million for a player that routinely had the piss ripped out of him by Scottish supporters when he played up here proves that.

Can fully understand why Liverpool want him so badly/will pay ?60m. Since his move to Southampton he's become one of the best centre halves in the league, more headers won than any other CH, his long pass stats are miles ahead of any current Liverpool CH which can only help Klopp's frustration at slow build up play from the back. Not to mention that in 55 games for Southampton he is yet to make an error leading to a goal, Lovren, Matip et al are happy getting through a single game not giving a goal away.

Many of Van Djiks old coaches have said that his only flaw is finding things too easy and losing concentration, which explains some of his performances for Celtic

**** me I actually though he was going to sign for us until I opened this thread

:facepalm:

Shows you how out of touch I am with football nowadays.

In what world would Chelsea or Spurs sell their best players to a direct rival though?

If you think Chelsea would let azpilicueta go for ?6.5M now or Vertonghen or Alderweireld for that money you are deluded if those players are sold they'll go for 3x what they were brought in for.

They obviously wouldn't... Just pointing out what's available outside of England. So why spend ?50M/?60M on Van Dijk?

Ibrahim Tall

Azpilicueta (6.5M)

Alderweireld (11.4M)

Vertonghen (12M)

There's what the best three defenders in the league cost. None of them do anything majorly special (not may defenders do), they can all play any position across the backline and rarely make any mistakes.

Tbh the figures and transfers you're quoting aren't really relevant to today's market. Azpilicueta and Vertonghen were over 5 years ago and Alderweireld around 2 and even that involved a dodgy release clause. It's extremely unlikely even a similar quality player would go as cheap now.

Lucille's Thirsty

They obviously wouldn't... Just pointing out what's available outside of England. So why spend ?50M/?60M on Van Dijk?

Liverpool have defensive issues and it's been going on for years they lost the title in 13/14 because they're defence wasn't up to standard of their attack.

Van Dijk is PL proven and is a world class CB if Liverpool go abroad a get a player that is ?35M would he have a better impact than a Van Dijk I'm not convinced.

I for one think it's a terrific signing and will improve them in a area where they have been poor their attack is fantastic if Liverpool sort their back like out they could win the PL with Klopp.

Clyne Matip Van Dijk LB

If they get a left back of good standard like a Tierney or Mendy they have what looks like on paper a fantastic defence.

Van Dijk played for Celtic that's why some people are not having the ?50M which is nothing for a PL side especially the bigger ones.

The best CB in the league alongside Alderweireld IMO.

It's a ******* ridiculous amount of money to be paying, the epl turns my stomach sometimes.

It is beyond ridiculous now Smithee.  Making a mockery of the game.  How anyone can actively support teams in that league is beyond me.  Watching billionnaires outspend each other every season  - that is not football!

Azpilicueta (6.5M)

Alderweireld (11.4M)

Vertonghen (12M)

There's what the best three defenders in the league cost. None of them do anything majorly special (not may defenders do), they can all play any position across the backline and rarely make any mistakes.

The fact I'd have to resort to Google to figure out who these guys are or who they play for is probably fair summation of where I'm at in terms of my knowledge of the EPL.

Blissful ignorance. Its a stance I'm quite proud of as well.

The fact I'd have to resort to Google to figure out who these guys are or who they play for is probably fair summation of where I'm at in terms of my knowledge of the EPL.

Blissful ignorance. Its a stance I'm quite proud of as well.

This in spades.  Add the Spanish league to that too.

Now here's a shock...have to think there was something in the tapping up accusations

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/40194862

Liverpool have apologised to Southampton over "any misunderstanding" and ended their interest in defender Virgil van Dijk.

Saints had said they would report Liverpool to the Premier League over an alleged illegal approach for him.

The 25-year-old centre-back is wanted by a number of clubs and had stated his preference for a move to Anfield.

Liverpool manager Jurgen Klopp had made signing the Netherlands international a top priority.

Statement in full:

"Liverpool Football Club would like to put on record our regret over recent media speculation regarding Southampton Football Club and player transfers between the two clubs.

"We apologise to the owner, board of directors and fans of Southampton for any misunderstanding regarding Virgil van Dijk.

kingantti1874

Lol.. Clearly there was. Micky quinn was saying theyd spoken on the radio 2months ago.. What the chances someone else nicks in and grabs him for a fraction of the price

'Misunderstanding' is a funny word to use in these circumstances.

Someone is in trouble for this

Magic Numbers

Bet the agent is spewing. 

Bet Celtic are spewing even more than the agent

:profit::nozal::sincere:  

Liverpool has 'Hibsed' it...

:) Seemed done and dusted when I opened thread...... Be interested to see where he ends up......

Bet Celtic are spewing even more than the agent

:profit::nozal::sincere:  

Meh, Chelsea will just come in and offer similar money

Jambo, Goodbye

:) Seemed done and dusted when I opened thread...... Be interested to see where he ends up......

Southampton don't even need to sell him. I don't think they want to either.

Seymour M Hersh

What exactly are the ankle tappers accusing LFC of doing (i know the allegation is tapping up) but what are they meant to have done specifically?

What exactly are the ankle tappers accusing LFC of doing (i know the allegation is tapping up) but what are they meant to have done specifically?

by not getting permission to even speaking to the player which is against FA rules, the story was leaked by a board member who has apparently been sacked. Southampton also maintained they don?t want to see the player as he is on a 5 year deal. Also they are not happy as VVD advised his prefer choice was Liverpool so they must have spoken at some point ( i.e. tapping up)

In a nut shell total shambles.

jamboinglasgow

Van dijk certainly hinting over his social media that he is not happy with southampton

RustyRightPeg

I don't think it's unusual for there to be talks

They just don't become public

Yeah find this a bit strange. There is no doubt in my mind that "tapping up" will happen all the time. It looks as if Liverpool have a mole in their camp however and it's all came out to the press before they've even made contact with Southampton.

Seymour M Hersh

by not getting permission to even speaking to the player which is against FA rules, the story was leaked by a board member who has apparently been sacked. Southampton also maintained they don?t want to see the player as he is on a 5 year deal. Also they are not happy as VVD advised his prefer choice was Liverpool so they must have spoken at some point ( i.e. tapping up)

In a nut shell total shambles.

LFC have not spoken to him. His agent has said both Chelsea and LFC had clandestine meetings but tbh I don't believe either club would do that. What I have now heard it seems Edwards briefed some media that VVD's preferred option was LFC thinking this would give LFC the upper hand. Appears to have backfired. Also don't think he's been sacked (Edwards). 

http://metro.co.uk/2017/06/09/liverpools-transfer-talks-with-virgil-van-dijk-revealed-after-deal-breaks-down-6699288/

It appears that Liverpool may have held unsanctioned meetings with Van Dijk himself before coming to any agreement with the Saints over signing the player.
the former Celtic man held detailed meetings with Liverpool manager Jurgen Klopp over tactics and his role in the first-team at Anfield.

The 25-year-old is also understood to have received video messages from the German as well as agreeing personal terms on making the move to Merseyside.

Southampton have since reported Liverpool for the unsanctioned approaches made to Van Dijk, with the club said to be furious at all parties involved, including the player and his representatives.

Lucille's Thirsty

Do Southampton want to keep an unhappy player there if there is a bid of ?55M - ?70M they'll accept even from Liverpool.

It's been said that Liverpool had written permission from Saints to speak to Van Dijk but that Liverpool never made a bid.

Southampton got pissed off when Liverpool (Edwards) starting briefing the media about Van Dijk preference to go to Liverpool.

Saints have just went enough is enough.

It's a shame but Liverpool need a defender as good as VD.

Lucille's Thirsty

Southampton considering reporting Chelsea now for unauthorised contact

I think Southampton are pissed off that there wasn't going to be a bidding war between City,Liverpool and Chelsea.

Archived