Van Dijk

hueyview

The former Celtic player is to move from Southampton to Liverpool, in a ?60 million transfer....the highest value ever seen for a defender. Celtic seem to be in for 10%.. Highlighting the returns of selling on to the English leagues further down the line

Tynecastlesmychurch

Oh great , more money for ra sellick.

Haha just the six million. Hardly think we need to worrie about them stopping our treble next season!

Unknown user

Six million to celtic is indeed a problem, but the bigger problem is the precedent set by Wanyama and van Dijk, and how attractive their career paths will make celtic to players who have a fancy for the epl.

The Future's Maroon

Nit picking, but I believe it's 7.5%.

Seymour M Hersh

Oh great , more money for ra sellick.

Money begets money. Always has, always will. 

60 million

:cornette:

He's a good player but isn't even worth half of that.

He's not even worth the ?5m odd Celtic will get as their share.

Ridiculous price.

The Internet

He's worth whatever the buying club is willing to pay. It's how top level football works now, value for money doesn't matter anymore.

60 million

He is these days though, if you know what I mean. Any player that goes from EPL club to another EPL club always has a massive over inflated price tag.

See John Stones, Raheem Sterling, Andy Carroll, Stewart Downing etc etc for details.

Bazzas right boot

Just me, I thought he was pretty suspect defensively and that was up here.

Southampton have hardly improved much since he joined, in fact they did take a few doings.

Good ball player, but imo a average center half at that level defensively, that of course can improve as he's young. But ?60 m?

The baw is burst.

Bazzas right boot

He is these days though, if you know what I mean. Any player that goes from EPL club to another EPL club always has a massive over inflated price tag.

See John Stones, Raheem Sterling, Andy Carroll, Stewart Downing etc etc for details.

Tbf, the list you mention most have been proven over time not to be worth what was paid. Kind of going against your point.

60 million

Agree, the figure of ?60 million does seem considerably over his worth......

I think Celtic got him for ?2.5 million and sold for ?13 million, with this ?6 million added... Does the selling club continue to get, in this case 10% for every transfer he gets down the line..

Can remember Tom English saying although he had great ability, he could go missing in some matches...

Mars plastic

He was also cutting a shift into that hot thing who can be found on a Fake Taxi video, so I'm told....

?200,000 a week.

Face. Palm.

Sent from my VFD 600 using Tapatalk

Bazzas right boot

He was also cutting a shift into that hot thing who can be found on a Fake Taxi video, so I'm told....

An uber video.......

Bazzas right boot

?200,000 a week.

Face. Palm.

Whit? Surely not?

Sent from my VFD 600 using Tapatalk

Cruyff Turn

I'm surprised that it has taken this long for a top club to make the move. Very good player however 60million for a CB is obscene, worth nowhere near that,maybe 26million.

Celtic seem to have done well scouting some of these guys. Wanyama has done well also. Not great that Celtic will get 10% but it shows that putting these clauses in is worth it when selling to the EPL and that the SPFL is a stepping stone

You've got to think now that some of the players this year will be breaking transfer records if this is the price for a CB and 45million for a keeper.

Mars plastic

Celtic seem to have done well scouting some of these guys. Wanyama has done well also. Not great that Celtic will get 10% but it shows that putting these clauses in is worth it when selling to the EPL and that the SPFL is a stepping stone

Said that a while ago. Whoever is scouting these players needs a pay rise. Say what you like about that lot but when it comes to finding players they're miles ahead of a lot of teams in the EPL.

Jambo, Goodbye

They love a Southampton player.How many ex Saints is that.

6 players since 2014 adding up to 98million.

This would be the 7th.

Son Of Anarchy

Money just nuts and puts me right off these days. ?60m ffs? A very good player but I despair, I really do.

The Treasurer

This just highlights how poor our transfer negotiations are when selling players.

I can't think of anyone we've got a windfall from due to a sell on clause but clubs like Dundee Utd and Hamilton seems to pick up wee bonuses down the line from players that left them years before.

vegas-voss

Just me, I thought he was pretty suspect defensively and that was up here.

Southampton have hardly improved much since he joined, in fact they did take a few doings.

Good ball player, but imo a average center half at that level defensively, that of course can improve as he's young. But ?60 m?

The baw is burst.

Yeah that's my view.Think the landscape of what a centreback's my priority is now I always thought first and foremost they should be great at defending but it does not look like it anymore.Shame he is going to Liverpool I was pissing myself at him and Stones forming a ?100m centreback pairing.

Cruyff Turn

Said that a while ago. Whoever is scouting these players needs a pay rise. Say what you like about that lot but when it comes to finding players they're miles ahead of a lot of teams in the EPL.

And they've recently brought in Lee Congerton to find even more players.

They don't make many bad signings these days unfortunately.

This just highlights how poor our transfer negotiations are when selling players.

I can't think of anyone we've got a windfall from due to a sell on clause but clubs like Dundee Utd and Hamilton seems to pick up wee bonuses down the line from players that left them years before.

Who have we sold in the past five years that's subsequently been sold for big money? Genuine question as I can't think of anyone.

vegas-voss

Who have we sold in the past five years that's subsequently been sold for big money? Genuine question as I can't think of anyone.

I think the ?1.2m we got for Sow was substantial to Hearts it's all relative especially as he never really cost much in wages.

In today's money, I think he is worth every penny.

For me, the 2015/16 season he was the best centre back in the premiership.

He has been a little bit quieter this season but in my opinion he has it all. Quick, strong, good in the air and with the ball at his feet, reads the game well and has age on his side.

He deserves to be playing for one of the top sides.

I think the ?1.2m we got for Sow was substantial to Hearts it's all relative especially as he never really cost much in wages.

I meant somebody who's then been sold on which would've got us a cut if we put a sell-on clause in. Sow is a good example to the counter-argument though - if we'd put a clause in, we'd never have got ?1.2m, which was a great piece of business by the club.

vegas-voss

I meant somebody who's then been sold on which would've got us a cut if we put a sell-on clause in. Sow is a good example to the counter-argument though - if we'd put a clause in, we'd never have got ?1.2m, which was a great piece of business by the club.

Sorry man I misread your post

bauld willie

Its a cert they will try and retain Roberts from Man C, with this and he was absolutely devastating against us last year.

If Dembele goes for some of the sums being thrown about, is going to be impossible for anyone to get close to them.

I really dispise that football club.

rudi must stay

60 million

Totally agree, hes worth ?20 million at most IMO. Great signing though for Liverpool, a leader at the back and a threat at set pieces. They seem to have their eye on the ball these days transfer wise

Seymour M Hersh

I don't even think he's that good.

He's not. Nobody is worth that but unfortunately due to the vast amount of cash washing about the EPL this is the sorted of massively inflated price clubs have to pay.

Even Levein said we were lucky to get it.

Seymour M Hersh

Its a cert they will try and retain Roberts from Man C, with this and he was absolutely devastating against us last year.

If Dembele goes for some of the sums being thrown about, is going to be impossible for anyone to get close to them.

I really dispise that football club.

It's already impossible with or without that money. They got ?30+ million for the CL appearances alone last year.

Jambo Bruce

Yeah and it's unfortunate that Celtic have a good scouting system, so more of the same, can't see anybody getting near them for years

Cupar Jambo

60 million

Lucille's Thirsty

?50M is pocket change for Liverpool.

?35M for Carroll was a major mistake does it deter them no because they have hundreds of millions lying around due to PL money,CL money etc

Cupar Jambo

60 million

I think he is the best centre half in the premiere league

Lucille's Thirsty

Agreed.

Alderweireld and a fit Kompany might have something to say about it but Van Dijk is a terrific defender and he's worth ?50M

I heard Troy deeney would be worth ?30M if he got a move :lol:

vegas-voss

Southampton lodged official complaint to the FA about an illegal approach from Liverpool about Van Dijk

Bazzas right boot

Bold statement.

Imo players like konscieinly (so)are way ahead.

Don't know what van dijk has done to deserve that price tag. Even folk like Stones had been around for a few years In? The epl.

Lucille's Thirsty

Bold statement.

Imo players like konscieinly (so)are way ahead.

Don't know what van dijk has done to deserve that price tag. Even folk like Stones had been around for a few years In? The epl.

Koscielny :lol:

Van Dijk is up there with Alderweireld and Kompany for the best CB in the premier league how much would they go for?

Unknown user

It's a ****ing ridiculous amount of money to be paying, the epl turns my stomach sometimes.

Archived