Extra UEFA place....

Drylaw Hearts

Smoked-Glass

Is this to do with Scotland's success in the rankings/seedings and rangers getting far in Europe?

Some good has come of rangers run i suppose.

WE're still going to struggle to qualify then. They should offer a CL place for the 'Champions' of the bottom 6 mini league :(.

Drylaw Hearts

There is now 3 UEFA Cup places.

SPL : 3rd and 4th.

Plus the SC winners.

This is to do with the Inter-Toto Cup being axed after this Summer.

The extra place kicks-in next Season but it means an extra qualifying round will be played.

There is now 3 UEFA Cup places.

SPL : 3rd and 4th.

Plus the SC winners.

This is to do with the Inter-Toto Cup being axed after this Summer.

The extra place kicks-in next Season but it means an extra qualifying round will be played.

So does this mean 5th place in the SPL will also qualify for Europe if the SC winners finish in the top 2?

Drylaw Hearts
So does this mean 5th place in the SPL will also qualify for Europe if the SC winners finish in the top 2?

?

Not sure.

The Runner-up may well get that spot depending on where they finish in the League.

Or in the top 4 i presume.

Or in the top 4 i presume.

Hmm - yeah maybe. I think the SC winners traditionally had less qualifying games to play then the team finishing in 3rd place. Was it not the case a couple of years ago that, Had Hearts won the Cup and finished 3rd, the UEFA Cup spot would have went to 4th place in the league but as we had finished 2nd, it went to Gretna?

I know the SFA were going to change this last season but failed to inform UEFA in time - I trust they're planning to go though with the change this time?!:confused:

Hmm - yeah maybe. I think the SC winners traditionally had less qualifying games to play then the team finishing in 3rd place. Was it not the case a couple of years ago that, Had Hearts won the Cup and finished 3rd, the UEFA Cup spot would have went to 4th place in the league but as we had finished 2nd, it went to Gretna?

I know the SFA were going to change this last season but failed to inform UEFA in time - I trust they're planning to go though with the change this time?!:confused:

Well if both the finalist finished top 4 then 5th plce would have to get the spot.

I'm not talking to myself, this is the real Kev. It's usually my alter ego that posts....

They are still letting the cup runners up take the euro spot if they are beaten by a team that has already qualified. Scotland can / will be represented by a diddy team in uefa cup.

Guest Dipped Flake

uefa stopped Scotland from changing this. They have said that we need to keep the same rules until the new uefa cup format is up and running so probably be a couple of years at least before we can stop the runner-up getting into europe. Don't really see peoples problem with it though as we qualified twice that way...

I'm not talking to myself, this is the real Kev. It's usually my alter ego that posts....

They are still letting the cup runners up take the euro spot if they are beaten by a team that has already qualified. Scotland can / will be represented by a diddy team in uefa cup.

Ok - Cheers Kev.

;)

uefa stopped Scotland from changing this. They have said that we need to keep the same rules until the new uefa cup format is up and running so probably be a couple of years at least before we can stop the runner-up getting into europe. Don't really see peoples problem with it though as we qualified twice that way...

As I said yesterday the new UEFA Cup format starts after the season coming. So from the end of next season there will be five Euro spots for Scotland.

As I said yesterday the new UEFA Cup format starts after the season coming. So from the end of next season there will be five Euro spots for Scotland.

Thats a bit much, especially considering England only get 6 normal places.

Could go up to 7, depending on how UEFA work the demise of the Intertoto.

Hearts Heritage

There is NOT an extra UEFA Cup place. As David Ross has pointed out here

Somehow they have managed to convince most of the sporting press over the weekend that the abolition of the Intertoto Cup and subsequent revamping of the UEFA Cup for 2009-10 has resulted in an "extra" Scottish place when nothing of the kind has happened. All that has changed is that the formerly voluntary Intertoto place is now a compulsory UEFA slot. The fifth team will still enter European competition at the same stage and around the same dates as before.

There is NOT an extra UEFA Cup place. As David Ross has pointed out here

Somehow they have managed to convince most of the sporting press over the weekend that the abolition of the Intertoto Cup and subsequent revamping of the UEFA Cup for 2009-10 has resulted in an "extra" Scottish place when nothing of the kind has happened. All that has changed is that the formerly voluntary Intertoto place is now a compulsory UEFA slot. The fifth team will still enter European competition at the same stage and around the same dates as before.

This is quite right, all that has really happened is that the snobbery surrounding the Intertoto Cup is no longer a factor and the fifth Scottish representative will have to play in early July whether they like it or not. Although that team would have to play three rounds to get to the group stage instead of the current four.

Archived