Edinburgh Marathon

casper

I'm running the marathon on Sunday and yeah it looks a bit hotter than would be ideal. Would be better at 10-12C rather than the 16-18C but way better than today!

In terms of gels, I take on about 10 gels during a marathon and feel that it makes a massive difference to me. Pretty regular every 20-25 mins it keeps the carb levels at the right level for me. Need to make sure it's not just glucose though but a lot of the gels are fruity as well so you're getting fructose so it's not a single type of carb you're taking on board.

But yeah, need to make sure you get a good dump in before the race. Give yourself plenty time to find a toilet and not be running about mad in the last few minutes before the start!

sunblestjambo

Good luck to everyone running tomorrow (and those doing the 5 & 10 today).

Looks scorchio albeit there should be a little more cloud cover than yesterday and today.

Marathon PB for me today. Not quite sure where I pulled that run from but managed to knock nearly 5 mins off my PB to come home in 3:21:35. Hope everyone else had a successful run!

Congrats to all. My wife's first, and possibly last, and a time of 4:41. She's a little bit disappointed as she was hoping for sub 4:30.

Went to cheer on the runners today. Fantastic atmosphere, well done to all competitors of all the events. Smashing effort to be able to say "i've done it!"

Thanks to all the tips and encouragement from everyone. Was just a little outside my time window at 4h 36m. Started slow and got slower. Last 5 or 6 miles were tough. The atmosphere where people were on the route was great and their encouragement and jelly babies were much appreciated. Will I do another one? Mibbes.

Marathon PB for me today. Not quite sure where I pulled that run from but managed to knock nearly 5 mins off my PB to come home in 3:21:35. Hope everyone else had a successful run!

That's a great time. Well done.

Was a PB for me too but it was my first.

Toxteth O'Grady

well done that is brilliant

Toxteth O'Grady

Congrats to all. My wife's first, and possibly last, and a time of 4:41. She's a little bit disappointed as she was hoping for sub 4:30.

She has done really well. I bet she does another

Toxteth O'Grady

Thanks to all the tips and encouragement from everyone. Was just a little outside my time window at 4h 36m. Started slow and got slower. Last 5 or 6 miles were tough. The atmosphere where people were on the route was great and their encouragement and jelly babies were much appreciated. Will I do another one? Mibbes.

Well done those last miles along the coast against the wind are the toughest. Enjoy a well earned beer and rest

She has done really well. I bet she does another

I dunno, she says mentally it stopped being enjoyable at the 22 mile mark. She's also not sure she could handle the time needed to train for a full again. She reckons she'll probably concentrate on halves and see if she can really get her time down for those instead.

162 out of 330 in her category though. No way I'd do it. Cheering everyone on at the 25 mile mark, the big thing that struck me was practically none of the runners looked like they were having fun! There was some guy with a pot, banging it away, trying to gee up the walkers to run that last bit. Every single one shot him daggers!

I thought that was fair enough. They've just ran most of the 26 miles. It's easy enough for some plum at the side of the road to say run the last part.

I did the third leg of the relay and all I can say is well done to anyone running the half and, in particular the full marathon today in that heat. I only did 8 miles and was sweating like Rolf Harris on a school bus.

I have decided I'm going to do a full marathon next year. Possibly Vancouver.

Captain Sausage

Congratulations to everyone who did the half and full marathons. A lot of dedication required that goes unseen!

Thanks guys. I would have been one of the few still smiling at 25 miles, basically because I knew all I had to do was keep putting one foot in front of the other to get a PB.

Unbelievably (first time I've ever done this) I managed the second half quicker than the first. About 1 hr 43 for the first half and somehow got stronger with the second half in 1 hr 38 minutes and change.

Totally buzzing. Day off tomorrow so been at a BBQ and still piling the beers away :)

Nookie Bear

In that heat, she outperformed her target imo

Well done to all who took that on. I did it 2005 and it was baking that day as well. Takes it out of you.

I done my first ever half yesterday with a time of 1:39:15. Placed 800th out of 9085 runners and 365 out of 1936 in my category.

Very pleased with that!

Congrats to all the other runners it was a great day

My first ever stab at the half yesterday. My first ever shot at anything like his in fact. 2 hours 34 which will do me. Thoroughly enjoyed it. A target to beat next year

Done my 1st ever half marathon yesterday as well, finished in 2hours 23 mins, was feeling good until 6 miles and had a lot of pain down my IT band pretty much unbearable at points but managed to push through it, loved it and will book into the Scottish half in September! Well done to everyone else who raced over the weekend especially the marathon runners hats off to you guys and girls incredible achievement!!

Archived