Ziggy Gordon

Swimmer

Aye but where's the passion?? You don't need tactics, just a manager who gets the players wound up. 

Some still say.

Bring Back Paulo Sergio

Aye but where's the passion?? You don't need tactics, just a manager who gets the players wound up.

Some still say.

TBF what you describe would be more effective than whatever our 'astute' coaches are conjuring up now.

Some still say.

There in lies the problem with some Scottish Football managers, IMO. 

The Treasurer

This approach requires players that want to improve and have the determination and intelligence to do so.

Can you really imagine the majority of Scottish players giving Nando's a miss because they have "homework" to do on their next opponents ?

Where are all those world class Polish managers and coaches ?

I know it makes a good story but he's been there 4 months and suddenly he's a fountain of knowledge on all things coaching....

"I almost feel I didn't know how to play football until I came here, which is quite incredible"

........amazing isn't it that for all the poor coaching he received he was wanted by his current club and if he didn't know how to play football then he should look at himself for a start.

Livvyjambo

I know it makes a good story but he's been there 4 months and suddenly he's a fountain of knowledge on all things coaching....

"I almost feel I didn't know how to play football until I came here, which is quite incredible"

........amazing isn't it that for all the poor coaching he received he was wanted by his current club and if he didn't know how to play football then he should look at himself for a start.

The attitude that has us a backwater of football .

The lad is better placed to comment than you to be fair and sometimes we need to recognise and take this sort of criticism on board to move forward . Learn from it and if better than we do then implement

Spellczech

Hello Kris Boyd! 

Granite95

Look at polish clubs in european competitions, look at some of the talent they are producing and look how consistent Poland are at international level

Scotland is completly backwards for coaching when compared to mainland Europe and it shows with the players being produced and the state of the natioanl teams

And where exactly are all the world class Scottish managers and coaches?

Poland are currently #11 in the World, according to the FIFA Rankings, up from a low of 76th in 2013.

There might not be a lot of world class Polish managers and coaches, but their players are obviously superior to Scotland in pretty much every way.

And where exactly are all the world class Scottish managers and coaches?

Poland are currently #11 in the World, according to the FIFA Rankings, up from a low of 76th in 2013.

There might not be a lot of world class Polish managers and coaches, but their players are obviously superior to Scotland in pretty much every way.

The last time Poland beat Scotland was 1980. It has a population of almost 40milion. I think you are selling us short.

Maybe explains why Djoum's form has gone steadily downhill since joining us...:)

Spellczech

The last time Poland beat Scotland was 1980. It has a population of almost 40milion. I think you are selling us short.

If you exclude friendlies then it was 1965 - but then that would mean Scotland have never beaten Poland...

Didn't read the article at all, but I just think players should revert to 1-6 stop the ball from going in the net, and 7-11 try and get it in the net. Simple stuff that will see us sweep Hamilton, Kilmarnock etc away. None of this knocking it around the back to then hoof it into a channel that no one is running for 6-7 weeks in a row - to then say it'll start paying off and the fans have to be patient. A lot of shite. Just get the strikers practising shooting and the defenders practising defending.

If you exclude friendlies then it was 1965 - but then that would mean Scotland have never beaten Poland...

I would include friendlies tho :) was just sticking up for wee old Scotland who Poland scraped to draw with twice recently and where built up like like some machine.

Spellczech

I would include friendlies tho :) was just sticking up for wee old Scotland who Poland scraped to draw with twice recently and where built up like like some machine.

I understood - was just having a bit of fun to illustrate how easy it is to mess with facts that are used to support an argument.

I think the health of a country's football is inevitably reflected by its performance at International level. Ours is not good this millenium. It was bad enough when Ireland surpassed us by bringing in better Anglos than we did, but now the Welsh and N Irish are ahead of us too...Things are pretty bad IMO.

Things are bad when you get the likes of Sam Nicholson thinking they are ready to leave one of the top 5 clubs in the country on a Bosman and regard that as a good career move...I don't know if he is confusing himself with Paterson or what, but the game in this country is dying on its ass...

We really need things to change, which is why it is so disappointing that things are not going well for Cathro thus far...

CJGJ, the oracle of all things football.

Clearly I know more than you...someone gullible enough to read one story from one player who has been away from Scotland for 4 months and take it as truth

It's all too easy to read a story but look at the facts

Polish teams getting to the latter stages of the Champions League or Europa League..NO

Polish coaches and managers at the helm of top sides in Europe...NO

Polish football the envy of Europe..NO

The worlds coaches attending the licensing courses in Poland.., NO

Poland has not had anywhere near the quality of managers Scotland has produced in all their history..there's no Ferguson, Stein or Shankly in their history.

They have a large population so of course they should be better off than Scotland in a playing sense....in any case its the silly statement Gordon makes after less than 4 months that we are discussing. Players like and dislike managers often depending upon whether they are picked or not and he's happy for now but lets see what happens in a year or two when he's lost his place and wants to come back to Scotland (or the UK)..he's hardly going to tell the world the set up is rubbish and lose his place

I'm happy for him and well done for going abroad but I doubt there is this large number of top class coaches in their country overall........like anywhere else the good coaches will be at the better clubs and he is with one of their top sides so I would hope he does get decent coaching which might be a step up from what he received previously... given he was at Partick Thistle and Hamilton Accies then that could well be the case...and of course no mention of the resources on and off the field available to those clubs in comparison with the team he is representing at present.

weegie jambo

By all accounts the training facilities are far superior to anything he was getting at Thistle or Accies. Hamilton's training regime was like a battlefield under Neil and Canning hence their aggressive style of play and Thistles very laid back by comparison.

So Make Some Noise..

Scottish football is and will likely remain in the dark ages, unless we give the new breed such as Cathro a chance. It's been a hellish few months but he's still got my backing for pretty much everything Ziggy says in that interview. 

Seymour M Hersh

Where are all the Scottish world class players and coaches? 

Finlay James

Whether he is correct or not, the fact is that in Scotland we are miles behind and being left in the wake of countries that we would previously have dwarfed in a footballing sense. Whether this is down to coaching, attitude, attention to detail is up for debate but whatever it is, we are not doing it well.

However, there is one club in Scotland that is trying break the mould...............

A_A wehatethehibs

Whether he is correct or not, the fact is that in Scotland we are miles behind and being left in the wake of countries that we would previously have dwarfed in a footballing sense. Whether this is down to coaching, attitude, attention to detail is up for debate but whatever it is, we are not doing it well.

However, there is one club in Scotland that is trying break the mould...............

That's right, Celtic

Bazzas right boot

Clearly I know more than you...someone gullible enough to read one story from one player who has been away from Scotland for 4 months and take it as truth

Polish teams getting to the latter stages of the Champions League or Europa League..NO

Poland has not had anywhere near the quality of managers Scotland has produced in all their history..there's no Ferguson, Stein or Shankly in their history.

They have a large population so of course they should be better off than Scotland in a playing sense....in any case its the silly statement Gordon makes after less than 4 months that we are discussing. Players like and dislike managers often depending upon whether they are picked or not and he's happy for now but lets see what happens in a year or two when he's lost his place and wants to come back to Scotland (or the UK)..he's hardly going to tell the world the set up is rubbish and lose his place

I'm happy for him and well done for going abroad but I doubt there is this large number of top class coaches in their country overall........like anywhere else the good coaches will be at the better clubs and he is with one of their top sides so I would hope he does get decent coaching which might be a step up from what he received previously... given he was at Partick Thistle and Hamilton Accies then that could well be the case...and of course no mention of the resources on and off the field available to those clubs in comparison with the team he is representing at present.

All fair points.

But I'd argue they are improving and in the past twenty years we have gone back at an alarming rate both at club level and national? level.

There is some merit, but he does come across a bit too much after being abroad for only 4 months.

john brownlee

That's right, Celtic

wrong smellic and RANTIC are doing what they always do, buy the best Scottish players bench them, buy players from world /Europe that other Scottish teams would only dream of.

They have been doing that as long as I can remember , where as in MHO we HMFC are trying to change the long established farce that is Scottish football. Playing the same style from Tens to the first team is the way forward. Patience is needed, I think it will come good.

we had a little hic up with the Un planed departure of RN. We have to take a couple of steps back and regroup.

Get behind the system, I'm sure that we will benifit in the long run, we are still in the top six. We can't get big money players, the MSM will put us down at every opportunity as the see us as the only threat to the uglies and even some of our supporters want to stick the boot in.

Next season we will get into the top three and a place in Europe.

The five year plan is still on track, bareing in mind that it could be delayed again as we bring on good young coaches that will be tempted south with big money deals. A sure sign that something is working. In reality there's not much we can do about it.

Coooooooomoan the mighty JTs.

wrong smellic and RANTIC are doing what they always do, buy the best Scottish players bench them, buy players from world /Europe that other Scottish teams would only dream of.

They have been doing that as long as I can remember , where as in MHO we HMFC are trying to change the long established farce that is Scottish football. Playing the same style from Tens to the first team is the way forward. Patience is needed, I think it will come good.

we had a little hic up with the Un planed departure of RN. We have to take a couple of steps back and regroup.

Get behind the system, I'm sure that we will benifit in the long run, we are still in the top six. We can't get big money players, the MSM will put us down at every opportunity as the see us as the only threat to the uglies and even some of our supporters want to stick the boot in.

The five year plan is still on track, bareing in mind that it could be delayed again as we bring on good young coaches that will be tempted south with big money deals. A sure sign that something is working. In reality there's not much we can do about it.

I agree with most of this. 1st team recruitment MUST improve if any of this can work though.

Also I think, while they still buy up other teams best, o do see an improvement from Celtic in youth development.

I agree with most of this. 1st team recruitment MUST improve if any of this can work though.

Also I think, while they still buy up other teams best, o do see an improvement from Celtic in youth development.

Celtic are now known for taking all the best young players up and down the country. Not they I agree with what JB says as he's clutching at straws fantasy land.

A_A wehatethehibs

We should have signed someone like Ziggy Gordon to plan for when CP left and compete for a place at full back, instead we've signed Rherras Struna and Sowah. That's the 5 year plan in a nutshell for me.

When they were talking about Ziggy's comments on Sportsound last night one of the 'panellists' (not sure which one but I think it was the journalist) said something along the lines of "I doubt Poland have a young player as technically gifted as Billy Gilmour" 

Couldn't believe what I was hearing...A country with 6 or 7 times the population of Scotland which, in recent years has produced one of the best strikers in the world and has a bunch of players playing in the EPL, Serie A, Ligue 1 and the Bundesliga, doesn't have a young player to match some 15 y-o kid who plays for one of the erse cheeks.

Talk about being blinkered...

I suppose on the plus side we can look forward to Billy Gilmour single-handedly leading Scotland to World Cup glory in 2026 or 2030 if he's as good as that.

...a bit disco

When they were talking about Ziggy's comments on Sportsound last night one of the 'panellists' (not sure which one but I think it was the journalist) said something along the lines of "I doubt Poland have a young player as technically gifted as Billy Gilmour" 

Couldn't believe what I was hearing...A country with 6 or 7 times the population of Scotland which, in recent years has produced one of the best strikers in the world and has a bunch of players playing in the EPL, Serie A, Ligue 1 and the Bundesliga, doesn't have a young player to match some 15 y-o kid who plays for one of the erse cheeks.

I suppose on the plus side we can look forward to Billy Gilmour single-handedly leading Scotland to World Cup glory in 2026 or 2030 if he's as good as that.

They forget so quickly...

'Barrie McKay is worth double RB Leipzig offer and Rangers shouldn't pick up the phone for less than ?12m'

:gok:

Finlay James

The media in Scotland have zero clue what they are talking about. Rangers may have youth reams but no youth development to speak of. Players like Billy Gilmour have come through there by chance rather than by design but yet there is of course no guarantee that he will make it. Plenty of superstars in the youth teams dont make it and he could well fall into that category.

Hearts are being radical in Scottish terms, it may not work but I'd rather we at least tried and failed than stick with the same tired policies that have seen us produce no national team to speak of in 20 years.

Livvyjambo

Bet they've never seen Billy gilmour play . Fawning over a lad that's got it all to prove is wrong and our media are worse than the coaches

Wayne Rooney = John Fleck was the last one prior to Gilmour. Let's hope it doesn't go all Islam Feruz.

siegementality

Interesting read

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/39793314

Seems like Poland coaches with similar attention to detail as Cathro and McPhee. I wonder how this will be interpreted by the MSM

So one player finds it difficult to get his head round. Imagine trying to get a new footballing philosophy over to an entire squad of players, in a short period of time. Just saying like.

hmfc_liam06

I'm happy for him and well done for going abroad but I doubt there is this large number of top class coaches in their country overall........like anywhere else the good coaches will be at the better clubs and he is with one of their top sides so I would hope he does get decent coaching which might be a step up from what he received previously... given he was at Partick Thistle and Hamilton Accies then that could well be the case...and of course no mention of the resources on and off the field available to those clubs in comparison with the team he is representing at present.

I'll trust someone who's actually experienced it. Ziggy's 4 months = more than your lifetime spent in your bedroom.

He's not saying they're world beaters, he's not saying they are producing world class coaches or managers, he's said their approach is totally different and that we can learn from their preparation. I'm sure he'll believe the Poles can learn things from us at the same time.

In fact, he goes on to say he doesn't believe there's a great amount between us in terms of quality but their understanding is far superior.

So tell me, how many Scottish players do we have turning out for top sides across Europe in comparison to Scotland? Why can we produce top youth talent but then watch as these youngsters don't progress?

Winston Ingram

Amazingly that was Ian McCall... a football manager! Because Poland haven't produced any players of vastly superior technical standard to Scotland every year for about the last 25!

rudi must stay

European teams are getting better all the time. Look at Man Utd in the europa league, they have gone to extra time against teams worth a quarter of what they're worth and that's down to the quality of the coaching teams in Poland, Belgium etc. We are way behind

European teams are getting better all the time. Look at Man Utd in the europa league, they have gone to extra time against teams worth a quarter of what they're worth and that's down to the quality of the coaching teams in Poland, Belgium etc. We are way behind

And we are going to stay way behind. My youngest teams coach has introduced a third training session of purely running!!! No ball skills at all during any of the sessions but all focussed on running and getting fitter - he is 13! His team had a session at the Man City academy where the full 2 hours was ball skills - how to move and control the ball in small distances. The kids were breathing out their ass after 2 hours of ball work! 

The game has changed considerably over the years and the Scottish style of kick and rush is so outdated! Mind you , when your fans are screaming to get the ball up the park, just to see it come back at us doesn't really help!

siegementality

And we are going to stay way behind. My youngest teams coach has introduced a third training session of purely running!!! No ball skills at all during any of the sessions but all focussed on running and getting fitter - he is 13! His team had a session at the Man City academy where the full 2 hours was ball skills - how to move and control the ball in small distances. The kids were breathing out their ass after 2 hours of ball work! 

The game has changed considerably over the years and the Scottish style of kick and rush is so outdated! Mind you , when your fans are screaming to get the ball up the park, just to see it come back at us doesn't really help!

Maybe time your young one switched teams, unless he has designs on becoming a sprinter.

Maybe time your young one switched teams, unless he has designs on becoming a sprinter.

I agree! His team win most games comfortably and are the best team in the league, which doesn't say much about the coaching of the other teams either........

Polish folk in working harder than Scottish folk shocker.

Aye it's quite amazing that when RN first became H/Coach he worked the players 3 shifts and was roundly praised but when we are talking about a Polish coach(es) bla bla bla

weegie jambo

We should have signed someone like Ziggy Gordon to plan for when CP left and compete for a place at full back, instead we've signed Rherras Struna and Sowah. That's the 5 year plan in a nutshell for me.

We were offered Ziggy Gordon in the January window. We turned him down and he went to Poland instead.

So the 5 year plan has fallen apart because we didn't sign Ziggy Gordon

Bazzas right boot

The 5 year plan to sign quality sounding names is in tatters because of it tho.

A_A wehatethehibs

No the 5 year plan hasn't fallen apart but it is far from "on track" because rather than signing good spfl players we've signed useless nobodies and our squad is now packed full of them. Gordon Vs Struna+rherras+sowah+oshaniwa is 1 example.

I'll trust someone who's actually experienced it. Ziggy's 4 months = more than your lifetime spent in your bedroom.

He's not saying they're world beaters, he's not saying they are producing world class coaches or managers, he's said their approach is totally different and that we can learn from their preparation. I'm sure he'll believe the Poles can learn things from us at the same time.

In fact, he goes on to say he doesn't believe there's a great amount between us in terms of quality but their understanding is far superior.

So tell me, how many Scottish players do we have turning out for top sides across Europe in comparison to Scotland? Why can we produce top youth talent but then watch as these youngsters don't progress?

I am clearly not the right person to answer your questions being incarcerated in my bedroom my whole life.

However there are other points of view

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/39802420

Archived