New York - Advice.

Walter Bishop

Walter Bishop

Looking for some advice please,

On places to eat (with kids), if city passes are worth the money and recommended spending money for 5 night stay? 

Also places to definitely visit and places that arent worth going?

Cheers in advance.

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bridge of Djoum

• Hendricks

• Walter Bishop

• benny

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

stevie1874

On places to eat (with kids), if city passes are worth the money and recommended spending money for 5 night stay?

Cheers in advance.

Bin the holiday and renew your season ticket the kids will love you for it. :)

Alwayssunnyingorgie

My advice is don't go on the statue of liberty tour boat its around $20each and is pretty shit imo, Ellis Island was a massive let down and that was one of the things I was looking forward to, get the orange ferry to staten Island its free and you get the same photos. There's is people in times square that give you a free CD and want $10 and the guys in the costumes that pose for photos also want paid and are seemingly aggressive if you don't pay. Best place to eat is up helis kitchen you'll find somewhere decent there it's a short walk from time Square also DO NOT go to ellies stardust diner for breakfast they sing in your face and it's bloody annoying first thing in the morning, for a light lunch best place to go is a deli or get a slice of pizza it's only like $1 a slice and is pretty decent everywhere sells it so you won't need to look hard, there is nothing worthwhile after central Park so I wouldn't waste your time going past it, and the zoo in central Park is shit its more like Gorgie Farm than Edinburgh zoo, You should get a tour bus pass for the day you can hop on and off and it's pretty decent. I took around $3k for 3nights for 2 and came back with about a tenner, things like bottles of juice are expensive around $2.50 each for a 500ml and a meal averaged $100 for 2 and watch the tips some add it on the bill and others don't so watch you don't end up tipping double. If your going shopping for clothes etc century 21 is next one wtc and the 9/11 museum which is also good and well worth the visit. If your flying to Newark get the train it's just as quick as a taxi but only costs a few quid and you get off at Penn Street station.

mrmarkus1981

Take as much money as you can afford is my advice

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

jamie1874

Depends on what sort of things you are hoping to do with the kids (don't have any so can't recommend)

If looking to do shows then TKTS is the place for cheap tickets, however things like Lion King assuming it's still on broadway rarely come up at TKTS, so down load their app to get an idea on frequency of discount tickets.

If you do get tickets from TKTS go to south sea port, opens earlier than the one at Time Sq and my experience is much smaller queues. You can also tie that in by spending time at WTC and Wall Street

Bus tours I enjoyed, a good way of seeing the city quickly.

Central Park is great place to wander around.

I like soho and TriBeCa for walking and eating but not sure how child friendly as mostly bars that I would pop into, but a good area away from the madness of Time Sq

For eating, you can definitely do on a budget. You will see small diners/ pizza places where you can pick up pizza, tacos etc pretty cheap and good food.

Around time Sq you will find all the child friendly type places like hard rock, planet Hollywood TGI etc.

Rockefeller has a good food court for grabbing snacks too.

I would recommend top of the rock ahead of empire.

Agree with poster who said avoid Ellis and Statue of Liberty as a lot of time spent queueing with little to see.

Walking along the high line doesn't cost anything as is another great place to walk and see the city (old disused rail line converted to park)

Can't help with budget for you, but I do think you can make it cheaper if you need to be if you do a bit of research before hand and depending on what type of places you want to eat.

For me and the Mrs, eating out in restaurants most of the time and drinking, but not doing many tours as we have done it a few times we would be around ?350-400 a day.

I would visit the Metropolitan Museum beside Central Park.

For me, by the far the most interesting museum, with soemthing for everyone.

You also pay what you want as an entrance fee. They recommend $25 for adults, which is the usual for NY museums, but I paid $12 and they did not bat an eyelid. Some paid less.

Don't eat or drink anywhere near Central Park though. Even for NY, it is very expensive.

The cheapest place was a bar on Statten Island, where I got a pint of draught Budweiser for $3.00, so dirt cheap (and an actual pint, not half litre).

Edited by Paolo

You spent a grand a day??

That is a lot. I spent around $120 to $140 a day.

If I really tried, I could have spent less.

Edited by Paolo

hmfc_liam06

That is a lot. I spent around $120 to $140 a day.

If I really tried, I could have spent less.

I was roughly the same. A grand is outrageous and no way reflects the spending money required for NY.

We had various trips and entry fees pre-paid before we went over, ate breakfast in the hotel, grabbed a slice of pizza or something at lunch time then went out for a meal at night. Throw in a few drinks and yeah I'd say a budget of $150 a day is fine, say $200 what with having kids.

The week subway pass is a great option for getting around the city too, only $30. We would use it to get to and from hotel to the area we wanted to explore that day.

We also went on some walking tours with these guys - http://www.freetoursbyfoot.com/new-york-tours/ - it's free (tip implied) and the guys we had both times were superb. We actually went on to spend the rest of the day hanging out with one of them as well as another couple from the tour in Greenwich Village.

Yep. The weekly pass is excellent. Even if you are not there for seven days. If you are there for around five, then it is worth buying. You will still save money, and a lot of hassle too.

I have no idea what the poster was doing, but a grand a day is ridiculous.

Edited by Paolo

Unless you are intent on visiting the champagne room in a strip club each night, or else including the costs of pretty big shopping sprees each day, I can't see how you could spend a grand a day.

Edited by Peebo

Unless you are intent on visiting the champagne room in a strip club each night, or else including the costs of pretty big shopping sprees each day, I can't see how you could spend a grand a day.

Very much this. Unless you were on a shopping frenzy or eating in Michelin restaurants every night. Even at that we are at Ramsey's place and it was under $500 for two.

The water taxi tour is decent.

Stops off at a big percentage of the tourist attractions, so you can hop on and hop off, get a lot of them bagged in a day and get amazing photos of the skyline and Statue of Liberty at the same time.

Pans Jambo

Comfy footwear. Walk almost everywhere as you will find lots a great wee deli's, pubs, shops & sights. Brilliant. If you are not hitting the shops, you can have a great time for 2 folk for around $300 - $400 USD a day and thats eating steak for dinner & having a drink. Take in a show if thats your thing. We didnt bother.

Get a rough plan of what you want to see for each day you are there but dont pack it in or you will end up having a stressful time trying to get around the city. Chill & enjoy. Its a fantastic place.

& deffo go up the Empire State on a clear day. Great views.

Edited by Pans Jambo

Alwayssunnyingorgie

We went shopping :D

We bought loads of clothes and she bought jewelery etc, if we never done that maybe $150ish food and drink a day the bus ticket was $60each iirc for the time we were there, She spent around 250-300 on gifts aswell. If we scrapped the shopping and gifts then 2-300 a day would have been OK.

Bridge of Djoum

Cheers in advance.

Where are you staying?

fast_blood

Oddly enough, I was going to ask a New York related question before seeing this thread so apologies for hijacking - Is Harlem decent? Potentially looking at going back to New York for a few days and found a decent hotel in Harlem.

Bridge of Djoum

My advice is don't go on the statue of liberty tour boat its around $20each and is pretty shit imo, Ellis Island was a massive let down and that was one of the things I was looking forward to, get the orange ferry to staten Island its free and you get the same photos. There's is people in times square that give you a free CD and want $10 and the guys in the costumes that pose for photos also want paid and are seemingly aggressive if you don't pay. Best place to eat is up helis kitchen you'll find somewhere decent there it's a short walk from time Square also DO NOT go to ellies stardust diner for breakfast they sing in your face and it's bloody annoying first thing in the morning, for a light lunch best place to go is a deli or get a slice of pizza it's only like $1 a slice and is pretty decent everywhere sells it so you won't need to look hard, there is nothing worthwhile after central Park so I wouldn't waste your time going past it, and the zoo in central Park is shit its more like Gorgie Farm than Edinburgh zoo, You should get a tour bus pass for the day you can hop on and off and it's pretty decent. I took around $3k for 3nights for 2 and came back with about a tenner, things like bottles of juice are expensive around $2.50 each for a 500ml and a meal averaged $100 for 2 and watch the tips some add it on the bill and others don't so watch you don't end up tipping double. If your going shopping for clothes etc century 21 is next one wtc and the 9/11 museum which is also good and well worth the visit. If your flying to Newark get the train it's just as quick as a taxi but only costs a few quid and you get off at Penn Street station.

Well, in a post full of dubious ''advice'', the highlighted part is just....... I don't know....... wrong.

Arthur Avenue, Yankee Stadium, Bronx Zoo, Apollo Theater, the restaurants in Harlem, the Cloisters....... I can continue.

argyjambo

I was there in October 2016, stayed at the distrikt hotel in hells kitchen. Good restuarants and bars locally, and a short walk to the theatre district.

We did a lot, highline, helicopter flight,Empire state, 9/11 museum but for me the best wasbthe circle line boat tour from pier 37? On the west side, down round manhattan, up to harlem, tide was with us so we got through the harlem canal and emerged into some fabulous, virtually unspoilt country back on the hudson river.Weather was great, so was the tour guide, really knew his stuff and quite funny too.

Agree with usingbthe ticket booths, we got top class tickets for Phantom at around $130 for 2 tickets, great seats great show.

Central park is good to escape the noise and bustle, beware bars in the park are expensive.Expect to pay between 8/9 dollars for a beer in manhattan. Head to hells kitchen for restuarants, a bit pricey but good food.

DarthVodka

Don't bother shopping in NY. If you are there for a while have a look at travelling to a mall in New Jersey. A lot cheaper and no tax on clothes

Bridge of Djoum

The Lucerne Hotel.

Great!

You're on West 79th. Walk all the way west to the Hudson, staying on 79th, you'll want to go to the Boat Basin bar/cafe. Amazing views over the Hudson to Jersey. Go in the evening, beautiful sunsets.

As mentioned already, the Circle line is worth the cost, around $30 for the 3 hour full cruise around Manhattan. You can get a beer onboard too. 

It gets expensive eating with kids, I'd stick to diner's. Try stay away from Times Square. It's just too much, in every sense. I can't give advice on the City Pass, never used it.

Things you def want to do...

A walk through Central Park. 

Rockefeller Center, ''top of the rock'' gives the same views as the Empire State Building, but you get the added bonus of seeing the ESB from 30 Rock.

The 9/11 museum, Oculus, reflection pools etc are a must see. They are right next to each other.

Walking the Brooklyn Bridge is iconic, but it's crazy busy. The Manhattan Bridge is right next to it, gives the same views, and is less busy.

The Hudson river parkway is lovely too. Worth a long walk downtown.

If going shopping, Broadway will cater to pretty much everything you want. Start downtown near Canal Street and head up through Union Square/14th Street if you're looking for the trendiest items. This span stretches from Chinatown through SoHo and Greenwich Village. Most of the shops are mid-range to expensive, with a Bloomingdale's near Spring and Broome streets.

There are obviously hundreds of other things to do. Feel free to PM. 

Bridge of Djoum

Don't bother shopping in NY. If you are there for a while have a look at travelling to a mall in New Jersey. A lot cheaper and no tax on clothes

And the quality of the shopping is reduced too. It's ok for sports gear and such, pretty poor if you're looking for nice stuff.

Walter Bishop

Great!

You're on West 79th. Walk all the way west to the Hudson, staying on 79th, you'll want to go to the Boat Basin bar/cafe. Amazing views over the Hudson to Jersey. Go in the evening, beautiful sunsets.

As mentioned already, the Circle line is worth the cost, around $30 for the 3 hour full cruise around Manhattan. You can get a beer onboard too.

It gets expensive eating with kids, I'd stick to diner's. Try stay away from Times Square. It's just too much, in every sense. I can't give advice on the City Pass, never used it.

Things you def want to do...

A walk through Central Park.

Rockefeller Center, ''top of the rock'' gives the same views as the Empire State Building, but you get the added bonus of seeing the ESB from 30 Rock.

The 9/11 museum, Oculus, reflection pools etc are a must see. They are right next to each other.

Walking the Brooklyn Bridge is iconic, but it's crazy busy. The Manhattan Bridge is right next to it, gives the same views, and is less busy.

The Hudson river parkway is lovely too. Worth a long walk downtown.

If going shopping, Broadway will cater to pretty much everything you want. Start downtown near Canal Street and head up through Union Square/14th Street if you're looking for the trendiest items. This span stretches from Chinatown through SoHo and Greenwich Village. Most of the shops are mid-range to expensive, with a Bloomingdale's near Spring and Broome streets.

There are obviously hundreds of other things to do. Feel free to PM.

Thanks, appreciate all the info.

brunstanejambo

If it's shopping that you are after, take a bus trip to Woodbury Common Premium Outlets - one of the biggest designer outlet malls I've ever seen.

A nice spot for a bit of lunch and to chill out is Bryant Park - loads of cafes and takeaways around there and you can sit in the park to do a bit of people watching.

Joey J J Jr Shabadoo

Is 7 days enough time to do New York, Boston and Cape Cod/Martha's Vineyard ?

It should be. I had 10 days in the north east last year (not in NY, though), that included 4 nights in DC and a trip up to Kennebunk in Maine. NY to Boston isn't far.

Also, Boston isn't a big city, you can do a lot in a short space of time.

Edited by Joey J J Jr Shabadoo

fast_blood

Oddly enough, I was going to ask a New York related question before seeing this thread so apologies for hijacking - Is Harlem decent? Potentially looking at going back to New York for a few days and found a decent hotel in Harlem.

Anybody??

Bridge of Djoum

Cutting it fine. 

Bridge of Djoum

Anybody??

Harlem has great restaurants and bars, colorful place. Still a few blocks you really have to avoid or at least be very careful. Worth a visit absolutely, 

Edited by Fidel Cathro

Joey J J Jr Shabadoo

Missed the Martha's Vineyard part - you'll struggle to get there. You might be able to do some of Cape Cod, but not MV.

Hendricks

If you take your passport with you, you don't pay tax in the likes of Bloomingdale's and Macy's.

Francis Albert

The Lucerne Hotel.

A nice hotel, stayed there on one of our first visits. Lots of places to eat within walking distance, the Planetarium and Natural History museum next door, Central Park a block or two away. A few subway stops from mid-town. Enjoy.

Hendricks

In Fidel Cathro's excellent post he mentions TKTS. He is spot on about the Seaport sales office being a better bet than Times Square however given you are staying on 79th Street you would be far better going to the TKTS at Lincoln Square which is literally 15 blocks south of your hotel (so less than a 15 minute walk). To give you an idea these shows all had discounts today:

https://www.tdf.org/nyc/81/TKTS-Live?loc=linc

Bridge of Djoum

In Fidel Cathro's excellent post he mentions TKTS. He is spot on about the Seaport sales office being a better bet than Times Square however given you are staying on 79th Street you would be far better going to the TKTS at Lincoln Square which is literally 15 blocks south of your hotel (so less than a 15 minute walk). To give you an idea these shows all had discounts today:

https://www.tdf.org/nyc/81/TKTS-Live?loc=linc

Thanks for the praise, but I don't think I mentioned TKTS.

Hendricks

Within a couple of blocks north of The Lucerne you have some cracking places to eat that the kids would likely love; The Meatball Shop, Island Burgers and Shakes and Luke's Lobster (maybe you'd like that one more!). Also if you intend on getting out without the kids for a few drinks then there are several good bars in the neighborhood including one of the best whisky bars in the city Caledonia on Amsterdam between 80th and 81st and Manhattan Cricket Club (which has an awesome speakeasy upstairs) on 79th between Amsterdam and Broadway.

Edited by Hendricks

Hendricks

Thanks for the praise, but I don't think I mentioned TKTS.

My apologies it was Jamie1874.

You're post was still excellent though.

Bridge of Djoum

My apologies it was Jamie1874.

You're post was still excellent though.

Oh my!

Are we friends now?

Francis Albert

Anybody??

Harlem? Went there just after Obama's election and when it was supposedly in a new renaissance with Bill Clinton having an office there. It was TBH shit. 125th Street, the"5th Avenue" of Harlem was a sad collection of cheap shops. Marshalls is a pretty low mark US chain but the one on 125th Street was the worst I've seen - in the perfume section every box selection had been opened and items nicked. I wouldn't spend much time there but if you have a few days worth seeing another side of the city.

Hendricks

Harlem? Went there just after Obama's election and when it was supposedly in a new renaissance with Bill Clinton having an office there. It was TBH shit. 125th Street, the"5th Avenue" of Harlem was a sad collection of cheap shops. Marshalls is a pretty low mark US chain but the one on 125th Street was the worst I've seen - in the perfume section every box selection had been opened and items nicked. I wouldn't spend much time there but if you have a few days worth seeing another side of the city.

Harlem like plenty other areas of the city has seen swathes of gentrification in recent times so going up there and having a wander is totally safe and interesting. The hop on hop off bus for me is the best value tourist thing anyone can do when visiting as you'll get taken around all the major sites. Any that interest you get off at then get on another bus after you are done. You can get several routes (I would certainly do the downtown loop) and the uptown takes in the likes of Harlem. It's a great way to see a lot in a relatively short period of time.

Hendricks

Oh my!

Are we friends now?

Just cos we agree about little related to the football side of Hearts right now doesn't mean I can't appreciate a good post full of helpful pointers and advice!

Bridge of Djoum

Just cos we agree about little related to the football side of Hearts right now doesn't mean I can't appreciate a good post full of helpful pointers and advice!

Oh.

So, no?

Watt-Zeefuik

Boston isn't worth it.  Given seven days I'd spend exactly none of them in Boston.  I guess there's a few things worth doing, but a more overrated city you will never find, although San Francisco gives it a bit of a run.  Cape Cod is pretty but not worth a trans-Atlantic flight to see.

On New York -- do not try to do everything.  You can spend a month in New York and not run out of things to do. I also endorse the "comfortable walking shoes" bit.  Cabs are expensive and you DO NOT want your first experience driving in the US to be in Manhattan.

Times Square is not worth seeing.  If you want to try to get half-price Broadway tickets, that's worth a stroll over, but Times Square is just an overcrowded hellish tourist trap.

The current crop of Broadway shows is very good right now, with a lot of classics open with revivals like Les Mis, Chicago, the Lion King, and Wicked.  Of course the best of all of them is Hamilton but good luck getting tickets, even with most of the original cast gone now.  Avenue Q is hilarious but probably too raunchy to take the kids to (it's basically R-rated Sesame Street), roughly the same for Book of Mormon.

Take the kids to the top of the Empire State building (get tickets ahead of time I think).  I love train stations and Grand Central Station is a beautiful one.  The reading room of the New York Public Library is good if you're a bookworm (it's in the opening scene in Ghostbusters if that rings a bell).  Central Park is famous for a very good reason, but Prospect Park is also beautiful.  

If you're at all into higher art like orchestra or opera or anything, check the New York Times Arts and Leisure section before going to see what's on.  It will likely be extremely good.  The Met is the US's answer to the British Museum (with apologies to the Smithsonian) if museums are your thing.  

There's not a much more New York thing to do than see a game at Yankee Stadium or Citi Field, but be advised that Yankees tickets will cost you through the nose.  (Taking the whole family is one way to get to get you well on your way to $1k/day for that day at least).  Mets tickets are a lot cheaper.

Brooklyn is, well, Brooklyn.  It's now the undisputed capitol of American hipsterdom.  But that means there's some damn fine beer and chocolate and such to be had there to go along with the ironic trucker hats and earlobe plugs and kombucha.

I get a kick out of the tall ships at Southside Seaport, but you can probably see something like them over in the 'Weeg.  Still cool.

The advice on seeing the Statue of Liberty from the Staten Island ferry is good -- landing on the island doesn't get you much, but you want to see the statue at some point, right?

But by all means go.  Just a wonderful city, if expensive, smelly, hot, full of rude people, and exhausting.  Also wonderful.

Hendricks

Oh.

So, no?

I'm sure we will continue to 'debate' things Hearts related! As far as I'm concerned that's what the board exists for. Nothing I say is personal, I call it as I see it. So not sure about "friends" but we were never enemies! Lol.

Bridge of Djoum

I'm sure we will continue to 'debate' things Hearts related! As far as I'm concerned that's what the board exists for. Nothing I say is personal, I call it as I see it. So not sure about "friends" but we were never enemies! Lol.

Ummmm, "poxy Brooklyn studio"?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The only time I've been to Harlem was purely so I could take a photo of the street sign at Lexington-125.

Sad I know.

Edited by Tazio

Bridge of Djoum

Boston isn't worth it.  Given seven days I'd spend exactly none of them in Boston.  I guess there's a few things worth doing, but a more overrated city you will never find, although San Francisco gives it a bit of a run.  Cape Cod is pretty but not worth a trans-Atlantic flight to see.

On New York -- do not try to do everything.  You can spend a month in New York and not run out of things to do. I also endorse the "comfortable walking shoes" bit.  Cabs are expensive and you DO NOT want your first experience driving in the US to be in Manhattan.

Times Square is not worth seeing.  If you want to try to get half-price Broadway tickets, that's worth a stroll over, but Times Square is just an overcrowded hellish tourist trap.

The current crop of Broadway shows is very good right now, with a lot of classics open with revivals like Les Mis, Chicago, the Lion King, and Wicked.  Of course the best of all of them is Hamilton but good luck getting tickets, even with most of the original cast gone now.  Avenue Q is hilarious but probably too raunchy to take the kids to (it's basically R-rated Sesame Street), roughly the same for Book of Mormon.

Take the kids to the top of the Empire State building (get tickets ahead of time I think).  I love train stations and Grand Central Station is a beautiful one.  The reading room of the New York Public Library is good if you're a bookworm (it's in the opening scene in Ghostbusters if that rings a bell).  Central Park is famous for a very good reason, but Prospect Park is also beautiful.  

If you're at all into higher art like orchestra or opera or anything, check the New York Times Arts and Leisure section before going to see what's on.  It will likely be extremely good.  The Met is the US's answer to the British Museum (with apologies to the Smithsonian) if museums are your thing.  

There's not a much more New York thing to do than see a game at Yankee Stadium or Citi Field, but be advised that Yankees tickets will cost you through the nose.  (Taking the whole family is one way to get to get you well on your way to $1k/day for that day at least).  Mets tickets are a lot cheaper.

Brooklyn is, well, Brooklyn.  It's now the undisputed capitol of American hipsterdom.  But that means there's some damn fine beer and chocolate and such to be had there to go along with the ironic trucker hats and earlobe plugs and kombucha.

I get a kick out of the tall ships at Southside Seaport, but you can probably see something like them over in the 'Weeg.  Still cool.

The advice on seeing the Statue of Liberty from the Staten Island ferry is good -- landing on the island doesn't get you much, but you want to see the statue at some point, right?

But by all means go.  Just a wonderful city, if expensive, smelly, hot, full of rude people, and exhausting.  Also wonderful.

Good post but the part about Yankees tickets is wildly incorrect.

Bleacher tickets start at $14 or, there is a pinstripe pass at $15. This gets you standing room, (which I enjoy as you can still move freely around your concourse) and a beer or soft drink. Pretty good for $15. Yes, tickets CAN cost a fortune, but they also have a lot of very cheap admission.

Edited by Fidel Cathro

Bridge of Djoum

Someone mentioned Grand Central. Beautiful building. Please, have a cocktail in the Oyster Bar.

Watt-Zeefuik

Good post but the part about Yankees tickets is wildly incorrect.

Bleacher tickets start at $14 or, there is a pinstripe pass at $15. This gets you standing room, (which I enjoy as you can still move freely around your concourse) and a beer or soft drink. Pretty good for $15. Yes, tickets CAN cost a fortune, but they also have a lot of very cheap admission.

My info was wrong then -- been a long time since I tried to go, sorry for the wrong info.

Hendricks

Ugly American - a great post with lots of fun ideas and advice. One thing though: the Yankees are being very proactive re ticketing especially on midweek evenings. Obviously a lot depends on the OP's dates and the Yankees schedule but for instance tonight you can go to the Blue Jays game in the Bronx for as cheap as $15 and on Wednesday tickets are as cheap as $10. They also have discounts for using MasterCard etc. You can still rack up some spending on food/drink and merchandise whilst there but for an activity that lasts several hours and where you can get sone brilliant pictures with the kids it's certainly worth considering.