Tziolis kills the game ( merged threads )

Dr. Bapswent

Dr. Bapswent

I like this guy, I think he is one of the better footballers we have had at Tynecastle, classy and quality. He is good at what he does, mops things up, keeps possession and plays a simple ball. He is big imposing and effective. ge doesn't start great moves, but that's not what he is good at, if he had other quality players next to him who could take the ball from him and start forward killer moves they would work amazing together and he would be an integral part of a quality side.

The problem is - we don't have that other player to play along side him. And he doesn't have anything else in his locker besides that one style, one gear and one trick. And that one thing he does well does not fit in Scottish football without quality players around you. So all he serves to do is kill the game, take any momentum out of our play and disrupt us from having any attacking rhythm.

I want to like him, he could be top class, i'd love to watch him stroll confidently through games making us look great. But instead I fear he is one element that is really holding us back and blocking the team from getting any sort of playing style or attacking consistency going. So bizarrely I think he is one player who I think is one of the better ones in the squad that I think it would be better we got rid off than built a team around.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like this guy, I think he is one of the better footballers we have had at Tynecastle, classy and quality. He is good at what he does, mops things up, keeps possession and plays a simple ball. He is big imposing and effective. ge doesn't start great moves, but that's not what he is good at, if he had other quality players next to him who could take the ball from him and start forward killer moves they would work amazing together and he would be an integral part of a quality side.

The problem is - we don't have that other player to play along side him. And he doesn't have anything else in his locker besides that one style, one gear and one trick. And that one thing he does well does not fit in Scottish football without quality players around you. So all he serves to do is kill the game, take any momentum out of our play and disrupt us from having any attacking rhythm.

I want to like him, he could be top class, i'd love to watch him stroll confidently through games making us look great. But instead I fear he is one element that is really holding us back and blocking the team from getting any sort of playing style or attacking consistency going. So bizarrely I think he is one player who I think is one of the better ones in the squad that I think it would be better we got rid off than built a team around.

Agree.

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic

Good OP. Totally agree. I can only see him being really useful if there's some serious thrust and pace ahead of him.

He did well today breaking up their play and won a lot of headers against their big centre forward (21). He does over complicate it sometim s and gave poor Smith some horrible passes to deal with.

Glottis, on 08 Apr 2017 - 8:36 PM, said:

Top post.

If we took away the posts it would match others :tiny:

I mentioned to my other half when I got in earlier that Tziolis is one of the best players we've had in recent years. It should be a privilege watching him. But its not...

You can see flashes of the world class player he is, but he spends most of time smiling ruefully at players around him, the opposition who just try to boot him in the air and our woeful match officials.

We don't have a central midfielder in the squad to compliment him.

Seymour M Hersh

Top post.

Is that it as a response?  Why exactly is it a "top post"? Enlighten us.

Gorgie_Rules

If you replaced him with a busier ball winner who can also pick a pass we would be different to watch. I also want to like the guy, and in different styles of football abroad where it is a hotter climate and less of a frantic game he'd no doubt excel, but I struggle to see a way we can make the team work with him.

Tokyo Drifter

I'm sorta hoping those other players you talk about are on Cathro's summer shopping list. Something tells me Tziolis will be staying.

The question for me is do we try and keep him but bring players in to compliment him.

He showed today what he could bring to the team.

Think there is always a place for a guy like that who can control the tempo

Ryan jack at Aberdeen does a similar job but it works for them because they have decent midfield players like shinnie and McLean

Dr. Bapswent

If you replaced him with a busier ball winner who can also pick a pass we would be different to watch. I also want to like the guy, and in different styles of football abroad where it is a hotter climate and less of a frantic game he'd no doubt excel, but I struggle to see a way we can make the team work with him.

I think this is why we are going to struggle to change.

We either build a style of play around him and his limited repertoire (which doesn't seem sensible) or we get rid of him although he is one of the better talents (which also doesn't seem sensible).

I can see why he gets picked for the team, but I also fear that means we won't progress without finding some quality to play alongside him. And that's easier said than done. Or we take the painful decision to get rid of a quality player and taking a step back in quality that we rarely attract to Tynecastle for the benefit of helping a style of play with lesser players.

Elias Henry Furst

It's not a top post.

It's an admission of ignorance.

Tziolis is being asked to play a role that is alien to him. He should be the midfield general, comfortable knowing that there is a player alongside him and behind him covering.

As was the case when he first broke into the team.

Nowak being required to play at centre half meant Tziolis had to drop deeper. He neither has the pace nor aptitude to play such a role.

Its really quite simple.

Dr. Bapswent

The question for me is do we try and keep him but bring players in to compliment him.

He showed today what he could bring to the team.

Think there is always a place for a guy like that who can control the tempo

Ryan jack at Aberdeen does a similar job but it works for them because they have decent midfield players like shinnie and McLean

I don't think he controls the tempo - I think he sucks all tempo out the game. And that's not going to help us at all unless we can find someone who is very good at creating a tempo every time it is removed.

Is that it as a response? Why exactly is it a "top post"? Enlighten us.

Christ.

Are you looking for an argument or something?

The OP has made an excellent and detailed point and the guy has agreed with what he has said by saying 'good post'. What more do you want him to say?

I mentioned to my other half when I got in earlier that Tziolis is one of the best players we've had in recent years. It should be a privilege watching him. But its not...

You can see flashes of the world class player he is, but he spends most of time smiling ruefully at players around him, the opposition who just try to boot him in the air and our woeful match officials.

I think your closing sentence is bang on the money. It's looked that way since he arrived.

Tziolis imo is a top top player. It's up to Cathro to find the right players to compliment him if he's being retained next season

I think he will be here next year

It's a fair point.

You look at one of our best midfields , maybe 2, in the last 20 years.

There was a combination of 1 player who's strength was covering while another , or maybe two depending on what we played, were more mobile and attacking, they had more nous for going forward.

Salvatori, Cameron, Fulton.

Brellier, Hartley, Aguiar. Or even Rudi, who had the athleticism and technique to come inside and then go wide.(his first spell)

We have too many similar midfielders and I'll never understand the need for more than one water carrier in the SPL unless you are away to Celtic.

We should be looking for a more mobile, forward thinking midfield and a quality wide man for next season. Hopefully our judgement is better in this summers window.

Bazzas right boot

He's not what we need.

He's too slow, kitchen looks speedy compared to him.

He's neat and tidy but not influential or effective enough

He's not what we need.

He's too slow, kitchen looks speedy compared to him.

He's neat and tidy but not influential or effective enough

Right then. Keep Kitchen and get Tziolis hunted.

Good stuff

Agree with most of your post. He is a class act. Reads the game very well. Always in the thick of it. We need a couple of players who can get in front of him and attack the opposition. Sadly we don't have anyone of that ilk at the moment. Assuming we can pick a couple up in the summer Tziolis would be worth keeping for another year.

Should try Tziolis at CB and Buaben in mid

I thought that was how they would line up today. Well worth trying.

Luscious Laryea

Agree with the OP - he's a classy player whose job is generally to break up play and keep things simple.

It's a lot like Darren Fletcher for Scotland. We were expecting him to drive games forward and be a classy box-to-box midfielder but that wasn't his role when he was in his peak years at Man United. Too many expecting the same from Tziolis.

Bazzas right boot

Good stuff

Agreement.

Good stuff.

I think he could be a very good player for us, you can tell he knows how to play possession football, he takes time on the ball when he can and releases it instantly to a player in space when he needs to, he's always looking around him to see where the other players are, finding spaces and maybe more importantly, talking to his less experienced team mates, instructing them where to move, he keeps things simple.

gashauskis9

Classy and quality? Think folk are judging this guy the way they'd like him to play rather than what he actually demonstrates.

hmfc_liam06

Good stuff

I know which one I'd prefer playing for me based on today.

Is that it as a response?  Why exactly is it a "top post"? Enlighten us.

Apologies that my response didn't fit your standards.

I was just about to take my daughter to bed so a quick response from my phone was the best I could muster.

I agree with the OP.

Tziolis is a cracking footballer. He's confident and comfortable on the ball. 

He's not going to hassle and break up attacks (although we may yet see this). He's also not going to become our creative talisman.

He needs each of those in the team around him.

Today was arguably his best game for us.

We played and defeated a poor Dundee team.

From our past 3 months of him, I don't think we've seen enough to justify signing him despite how talented he is.

Howdy Doody Jambo

I think he could be a good centre half for us he is a top player when he canbe arsed, im not so sure he likes the midfield battle of scottish fitbaw as you don't get the time on the ball he likes to have

Im not so sure he will be here next season though

One of his better games today. Guy is a class act (but doesn't often show it) but we really shouldn't extend any of the current squad's contracts.

heartsfc_fan

Did well today, but I do agree he does slow things down.

Playing him at centre half might not be a bad should actually as he does win a lot of headers.

Tziolis makes moves and space to receive the ball, when he gets it the same cannot be said of his colleagues.

Played well today but definitely not his fault we were slow.

I think your closing sentence is bang on the money. It's looked that way since he arrived.

Tziolis imo is a top top player. It's up to Cathro to find the right players to compliment him if he's being retained next season

I think he will be here next year

I hope you're closing sentence is on the money.

The same guy who has been horse for most of our games? The same guy who has cost us goals? Cool story.

Jason Dufner

He did well today breaking up their play and won a lot of headers against their big centre forward (21). He does over complicate it sometim s and gave poor Smith some horrible passes to deal with.

A lot of passes he gave Smith were ones you'd expect a good footballer to take in and find a man with.

I'd rather have Tziolis than Kitchen any day of the week. Our 'captain' has played one effective game since he's been here. He's definitely one I'd be looking to move on on the summer.

A lot of passes he gave Smith were ones you'd expect a good footballer to take smithin and find a man with.

HillmanHearts

He is a top player. He would look better if there were more efective options for him to pass to. MOTM for me today. No disrespect to Prince and Don who were also decent today.

I have to say he played well today but having said that we were playing one of the worst teams in the league. I can't beleive that is the same team who have produced some decent performances just a month or so ago.

Tzilois is one of those players who if you give him a bit of time and space will hurt you but put some pressure om him as most half decent teams will do and he falls apart under the pressure.

Going forward he is no good to the Scottish game as he wants far too much time on the ball as do a number of our recent signings and ends up either giving the ball away or falling down claiming for a foul.

rudi must stay

Problem is he has some much experience most of the team look to him to create moves and drive the team forward and that isn't his game. Him and Kitchen is a very solid midfield though especially in tough matches away from home, would give him a deal for a few years

I'd rather have Tziolis than Kitchen any day of the week. Our 'captain' has played one effective game since he's been here. He's definitely one I'd be looking to move on on the summer.

I can't believe the number of times he wants to turn backwards towards his own goals, then he has the cheek to point forward as if urging the player he has just passed the ball back to, to launch the ball forward.

Should try Tziolis at CB and Buaben in mid

I reckon he'd make a great CH in this league.

I thought that was how they would line up today. Well worth trying.

I thought he was dropping in at centre back when Prince went forward, similarly filling in for Smith at times.  We seemed to have players switching positions quite smoothly today.

I am of a similar opinion to the OP.  But apparently Tziolis is looking to move to the English Championship, and sees his spell at Hearts until the end of this season (at least that is what Robbo said at the recent shareholders dinner).

Legend Claws

World class? Steady on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Five to One

OP nails it. He's the sort of player that probably wouldn't look out of place in a far better side. The pace and physicality of Scottish football doesn't suit him at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived