Elvis re Cathro/Levein

Clerry Jambo

Morgaro Gomis

Whilst I don't think he should have went into the dressing room - I don't understand the issue with Levein getting involved. Surely if he notices something which he believes may help us turn a poor performance round (obviously it didn't work), then it's his job to pass his thoughts onto the Manager to help out. This doesn't mean that Levein is telling Cathro what to do, purely that he is passing on his thoughts/advice.

I would think that this is a good thing and I'd far rather have that than him sat, watching a poor performance, doing nothing.

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

so tell me Ray -

if the message he was passing down to Cathro during the game was NOT about a suggestion to change formations OR tactics OR players - what could have been about??????

Also why did he appear in the dressing room at half time - just for a cup of tea I suppose???

He could have been able to see stuff happening on the other side of the pitch that isn't clear from down on the touch line.

e.g. "whenever our right back pushes forwards their central attacking midfielder is moving wide ready to exploit that space if we lose possession."

He can make observations like this without instructing the coach on what he must do in response.

As for being in the dressing room, he can just be quietly evaluating how Cathro and McPhee are addressing the team and the way the squad engages with them. The coaching staff are his responsibility. There's no evidence to suggest he is actually taking over team talks etc.

He could have been able to see stuff happening on the other side of the pitch that isn't clear from down on the touch line.

e.g. "whenever our right back pushes forwards their central attacking midfielder is moving wide ready to exploit that space if we lose possession."

He can make observations like this without instructing the coach on what he must do in response.

As for being in the dressing room, he can just be quietly evaluating how Cathro and McPhee are addressing the team and the way the squad engages with them. The coaching staff are his responsibility. There's no evidence to suggest he is actually taking over team talks etc.

Aye right you are then Ray   :whistling:

Aye right you are then Ray   :whistling:

You are so bloody dogmatic that you are right and you almost certainly don't know the facts any better than anyone else.

And if Snakey says something that's virtually a guarantee that it's wrong.  Failed Fleetwood manager - what an authority!

Can't stand the snake and hope he never darkens the Tynecastle doorstep again.

Legends don't get it up the fans that cheered, sang his name and adored him. He will never be a legend.

However i agree with him re Levein.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unfortunately Levein getting directly involved did not improve the performance of the team or the result did it.

Secondly, if the D of F has to pass messages down to the Head Coach to suggest he has to change formations/tactics/players during the game, AND has to appear in the dressing room at halftime, then that must raise massive concerns that his appointment of a totally inexperienced Head Coach must be brought into question.

I agree with all that but it doesn't answer the original question. So would you rather he just sat in the stand and done nothing?

Never complained as I was unaware it was happening!

If this is the case then that blows the theory from some on here that Levein has every right to intervene with the team and tactics if things are going badly!

Theres a difference between intervening and offering advice. No evidence at all that levein has done anything except offer advice, support and insights from his experience. It's up to cathro how he uses that advice.

Football managers have all sorts of advisors on nutrition, health, media. Why not tactics or man management or other parts of managing a large group of players.

Putting message-gate aside for a minute. There is a statement in football that really rips my knitting. Lots ex players most failed or wannabe managers use it. And it's the line about "what goes on in the dressing room" normally what follows smacks of a bunch of spoilt overpaid ungrateful brats looking for any excuse for playing shite or not putting in 100% effort.

I can only assume it's used by the ex-player wannabe or failed manager brigade as a way of saying they have the experience to fix a club that's toiling. When the reality is they probably pander to said overpaid ungrateful brats and that's why they're shite managers!

Buster HMFC

When it was rumoured Levein was passing notes down to the dug out and entering the changing room at half time it was ridiculed on here. That doesn't happen and you have no proof etc

Now we know it goes on the latest excuse is maybe Cathro is asking for this, we just don't know.

Open up your eyes. Levein has far to much influence and it clearly isn't working. Something must change.

This 100%. The football side of the Club is a shambles. Personally i think Levein is on borrowed time.

i wish jj was my dad

DOF spots something from his stand view point that may not be obvious from Head Coach's touch line view - and lets him know via other coach.

At any other club there is no news in this amazing turn of events. 

Big respect for Elvis the Hearts Captain but he disappoints me here. I question his motives on this. 

Indeed.  If he was so interested he could have picked up the phone to his old boss and had a chat with him about it rather than questioning through the media.

You are so bloody dogmatic that you are right and you almost certainly don't know the facts any better than anyone else.

And if Snakey says something that's virtually a guarantee that it's wrong.  Failed Fleetwood manager - what an authority!

To be fair Ray was being pretty dogmatic that there was nothing in it - or are you just dogmatic if you offer a different view from yourself?

Indeed.  If he was so interested he could have picked up the phone to his old boss and had a chat with him about it rather than questioning through the media.

Now THAT would have been an interesting call....

To be fair Ray was being pretty dogmatic that there was nothing in it - or are you just dogmatic if you offer a different view from yourself?

I'm not being dogmatic. 

I'm saying that nobody knows the full story. Not me. Not you. It is conjecture on everyone's part. While this is the case, public criticism of something that may or may not be happening, and calling for someone's head on a stick is ridiculous.

I'm not being dogmatic. 

I'm saying that nobody knows the full story. Not me. Not you. It is conjecture on everyone's part. While this is the case, public criticism of something that may or may not be happening, and calling for someone's head on a stick is ridiculous.

:527:

Now stretching it that Cathro asked Levein for information!

Take your head out of the sand Ray - passing information/instructions/advice/suggestions to our Head Coach during a match IS getting involved with the first team

So now Cathro is a liar too?? Cathro was quoted as saying he asked Levein to sit in the stand and pass info on how he saw things from up high. 

So now Cathro is a liar too?? Cathro was quoted as saying he asked Levein to sit in the stand and pass info on how he saw things from up high. 

Yes Cathro is a liar too if he disagrees with Thomaso - or so it seems.

He's not going to say he wishes Levein stayed out the team affairs and let him do is job though is he? 

He's not going to say he wishes Levein stayed out the team affairs and let him do is job though is he? 

He's definitely not going to say that if Levein already stays out of team affairs, is he?

He's definitely not going to say that if Levein already stays out of team affairs, is he?

Of course he wouldn't make up Levein is involved in team affairs if he isn't.  He's much more likely to say he's happy for Levein to be involved even if he's unhappy about it though. 

The problem with all of this is while results and performances are shite it's open season for all to criticise.

Start winning or at least playing well and no one would care who was telling who what.

If we continue the way we are then the criticism will get louder and then a decision has to be made. It's not about the media they can say what they like but when the fans get fed up the real problems start.

Levein has not been in the Hearts Dressing Room in the past 14 months.

Don Cowie on Sky Sports News.

Well that'll be that then.

Did Cathro not confirm he was in dressing room at Aberdeen?

OmiyaHearts

Yet Cathro said Levein was in the dressing room. Hmmm...

Levein haters will take no heed of this. Cowie must be lying etc.

OmiyaHearts

Levein haters will take no heed of this. Cowie must be lying etc.

So who do you believe, Cathro or Cowie?

So who do you believe, Cathro or Cowie?

Both. Levein may have entered the dressing room and briefly chatted with the coaches but did not address the team so they weren't aware of his presence.

I have looked again on Sky Sports Scotland Twitter and cannot now see it.

Can anyone else confirm it is / was there or am I losing my feckin marbles?

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/hearts-ace-don-cowie-insists-10133820

"Again, just to reiterate since I've been at this club for 14 months, at no stage has been in the dressing room saying anything to any player."

Clerry Jambo

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/hearts-ace-don-cowie-insists-10133820

"Again, just to reiterate since I've been at this club for 14 months, at no stage has been in the dressing room saying anything to any player."

So could have been in the dressing room speaking to coaching team but not the players!!

MoncurMacdonaldMercer

everything is working so well I'm surprised this is an issue at all

levein's interference or not, cathros collaborative success it's all there to be seen

It's all good no need to change anything

club to support etc, 5 year plan, 50 youngsters signed up

Yes Cathro is a liar too if he disagrees with Thomaso - or so it seems.

You seem to be upset by me - did you not get my Xmas card? It was definitely in the post...

http://www.deadlinenews.co.uk/2017/03/31/no-chance-craig-levein-will-hearts-dressing-room-hearts-host-celtic-ian-cathro-seeks-finally-draw-line-director-football-debate/?platform=hootsuite

IAN CATHRO has guaranteed that Craig Levein will not be in the dressing room when Celtic visit Tynecastle tomorrow as he sought to end the controversy surrounding the director of football?s role once and for all.

The debate regarding Levein?s position has been resurrected after he was pictured shuttling notes to Cathro, via under-20s coach Jon Daly, during a 2-0 defeat against Aberdeen a fortnight ago.

The former Scotland boss also entered the Pittodrie dressing room at half-time.

It prompted several high-profile figures to suggest Cathro was at risk of being undermined, with former club captain Steven Pressley insisting match-days should be left to the manager and ex-Jambos boss Gary Locke urging Levein to explain the dynamic.

However, Cathro has revealed that Levein entering the dressing room is far from commonplace and explained that they were seeking privacy away from the television cameras.

Asked whether Levein could be in the dressing room on Sunday, Cathro said: ?No, he never is. That?s not normal.

?It was a strange situation at Aberdeen and it?s better to deal with that directly: what?s normal is that we reach half-time, I?ll bring all the staff together and we?ll spend a couple of minutes just going through what we need to go through ? our feelings, our thoughts and so on.

?Instead, in the game against Aberdeen, there was no access to any private area and there was a camera following us. We didn?t know that the story [passing of notes] had already started and the camera comes in.

?In order to avoid the creator of the story [bT Sport], we probably added to the story by going for privacy in the back of the changing room! That was the one and only time.?

On the subject of notes from on high, Cathro is adamant he encourages the input, but has left no one in any doubt that he can veto any instructions from his director of football.

Indeed, the structure at Hearts is effectively identical to what it was during Robbie Neilson?s two-and-a-half years in charge, when Levein regularly utilised Jack Ross and, latterly, Liam Fox, to pass messages to the head coach.

The difference now, Cathro suspects, is the fact the Jambos are on a run of just five wins in 17 outings.

?The form of a team always controls the story,? the former Valencia and Newcastle assistant continued. ?You sometimes get the sense that people waiting for a certain moment for this. I understand that there was a similar tone at times towards Robbie [Neilson].

?This had almost become a story previously and it was addressed at that point ? then history repeats itself. I find that a bit strange.

?We are working as part of a group and Craig [Levein] is one of those who has experience we can draw on. We are taking advantage of everything we can and that is my decision.
?I absolutely, 100 per cent, make the calls.?

He added: ?I?m sure this will die down if we win against Celtic.? That, however, will be easier said than done, as Hearts seek to become the first side to inflict a domestic defeat on Celtic ? a unit he describes as ?machine-like? under Brendan Rodgers.

?They?re a very consistent team with strong players,? he added. ?The way they play is clear, they have a process and it?s machine-like at times. That?s why they?ve achieved what they have.

?What we do, as in every week, is to look into the game. Our attitude is always the same. How do we win?

?It?s one of those games where we know there will be an atmosphere inside that stadium come half-past 12 on Sunday. We want to be in control of that, leading it and driving it.

?Our attitude is to approach the game wanting to win the game. Maybe that?s the first difference. I?m not sure how many teams approach Celtic with that attitude. They maybe say it, but we mean it. They?ll have a team to play against tomorrow.?

http://www.deadlinenews.co.uk/2017/03/31/no-chance-craig-levein-will-hearts-dressing-room-hearts-host-celtic-ian-cathro-seeks-finally-draw-line-director-football-debate/?platform=hootsuite

IAN CATHRO has guaranteed that Craig Levein will not be in the dressing room when Celtic visit Tynecastle tomorrow as he sought to end the controversy surrounding the director of football?s role once and for all.

The debate regarding Levein?s position has been resurrected after he was pictured shuttling notes to Cathro, via under-20s coach Jon Daly, during a 2-0 defeat against Aberdeen a fortnight ago.

It prompted several high-profile figures to suggest Cathro was at risk of being undermined, with former club captain Steven Pressley insisting match-days should be left to the manager and ex-Jambos boss Gary Locke urging Levein to explain the dynamic.

However, Cathro has revealed that Levein entering the dressing room is far from commonplace and explained that they were seeking privacy away from the television cameras.

Asked whether Levein could be in the dressing room on Sunday, Cathro said: ?No, he never is. That?s not normal.

?It was a strange situation at Aberdeen and it?s better to deal with that directly: what?s normal is that we reach half-time, I?ll bring all the staff together and we?ll spend a couple of minutes just going through what we need to go through ? our feelings, our thoughts and so on.

?Instead, in the game against Aberdeen, there was no access to any private area and there was a camera following us. We didn?t know that the story [passing of notes] had already started and the camera comes in.

?In order to avoid the creator of the story [bT Sport], we probably added to the story by going for privacy in the back of the changing room! That was the one and only time.?

On the subject of notes from on high, Cathro is adamant he encourages the input, but has left no one in any doubt that he can veto any instructions from his director of football.

Indeed, the structure at Hearts is effectively identical to what it was during Robbie Neilson?s two-and-a-half years in charge, when Levein regularly utilised Jack Ross and, latterly, Liam Fox, to pass messages to the head coach.

The difference now, Cathro suspects, is the fact the Jambos are on a run of just five wins in 17 outings.

?The form of a team always controls the story,? the former Valencia and Newcastle assistant continued. ?You sometimes get the sense that people waiting for a certain moment for this. I understand that there was a similar tone at times towards Robbie [Neilson].

?This had almost become a story previously and it was addressed at that point ? then history repeats itself. I find that a bit strange.

?We are working as part of a group and Craig [Levein] is one of those who has experience we can draw on. We are taking advantage of everything we can and that is my decision.

He added: ?I?m sure this will die down if we win against Celtic.? That, however, will be easier said than done, as Hearts seek to become the first side to inflict a domestic defeat on Celtic ? a unit he describes as ?machine-like? under Brendan Rodgers.

?They?re a very consistent team with strong players,? he added. ?The way they play is clear, they have a process and it?s machine-like at times. That?s why they?ve achieved what they have.

?What we do, as in every week, is to look into the game. Our attitude is always the same. How do we win?

?It?s one of those games where we know there will be an atmosphere inside that stadium come half-past 12 on Sunday. We want to be in control of that, leading it and driving it.

?Our attitude is to approach the game wanting to win the game. Maybe that?s the first difference. I?m not sure how many teams approach Celtic with that attitude. They maybe say it, but we mean it. They?ll have a team to play against tomorrow.?

MacDonald Jardine

That doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

You seem to be upset by me - did you not get my Xmas card? It was definitely in the post...

I didn't.

You should have put a stamp on the envelope

MoncurMacdonaldMercer

That doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

does anyone take a single word cathro says as serious now?

I like the guy I hung on until his 'I guarantee we will never not compete again not even for 5 minutes' speech before filing him under credibility=0

Cut The Crap

Our match day "process" sounds quite shambolic.

Explains a lot, not least some of our second half performances under Cathro.

Cathro needs to make his mind up.

After the Aberdeen game he said it wasn't unusual for it to happen and therefore it was no big deal.

**** sake - you are nearly all deranged.

It isn't unusual for him to speak with / get input from Levein and the other coaching staff.

What is unusual is at Aberdeen there is no private room allocated for him to have a discussion with Levein so he was in the dressing room.

Cathro is perfectly clear - it is just how he wants it and he chose to come into it. Levein and he know each other well and how the other works

Seriously put this utter drivel to bed FFS.

It's embarrassing - joining the red top gang of shysters to have a pop at our club without any good reason.

I didn't.

You should have put a stamp on the envelope

Damn it - I dogmatically beloved I did not need one.....

i wish jj was my dad

It doesn't matter what the club says or does. Levein is the devil incarnate and haters gonna hate.

Gigolo-Aunt

I really don't like saying this but when you read that we sound an utter shambles behind the scenes.

the big show

It doesn't matter what the club says or does. Levein is the devil incarnate and haters gonna hate.

IT does matter what the club says though and that's exactly why so many are questioning it , The problem though is there is quite a few choosing to forget and dismiss what Levein has already said when it all started ... Now we have the same situation as we had when Robbie was in this role and it is a repeat scenario .. However Levein sitting back saying nothing letting Cathro take all the flak which is exactly what he done when Robbie was here is not helping the situation one iota and Cathro now coming out with further information which contradicts what he said in the 1st place only adds more fuel .. quite frankly it's a shambles and it is time quite a few took the blinkers of ....  Personally i Don't believe for a minute that Ann Budge is happy with what's being going on as quite frankly it's ludicrous for a club of our size and given how much the fans have backed them to the hilt i honestly believe we should get answers and deserve better .

I really don't like saying this but when you read that we sound an utter shambles behind the scenes.

Correct.

We need a clear out from Levein all the way down. Auld Budgie will never let him leave though. Thinks the sun shines out his arse.

Worrying times.

i wish jj was my dad

IT does matter what the club says though and that's exactly why so many are questioning it , The problem though is there is quite a few choosing to forget and dismiss what Levein has already said when it all started ... Now we have the same situation as we had when Robbie was in this role and it is a repeat scenario .. However Levein sitting back saying nothing letting Cathro take all the flak which is exactly what he done when Robbie was here is not helping the situation one iota and Cathro now coming out with further information which contradicts what he said in the 1st place only adds more fuel .. quite frankly it's a shambles and it is time quite a few took the blinkers of ....  Personally i Don't believe for a minute that Ann Budge is happy with what's being going on as quite frankly it's ludicrous for a club of our size and given how much the fans have backed them to the hilt i honestly believe we should get answers and deserve better .

Thanks for proving my point.

OmiyaHearts

Thought he spoke well to finally clear up exactly what happened at Pittodrie.

It proves there is no one else to blame for mess we're in. It's all down to Cathro.

jack D and coke

I'm not one that jumped on the snake bandwagon -

But Elvis has no right whatsoever to tell Cathro what Cathro needs.

Cathro is the one who decides this

IF he is happy with Levein's role - as he has said he is on more than one occasion - then Elvis should keep his ******* trap shut.

We do not all live in the world accordingly to Pressley. Cathro in particular - who has already had a much more successful coaching career than him.

^^^^this.

Phressley is a bellend who's opinions matter not one iota to PHM.

Lincon Premier

The problem for me is the team did not play the same way as Robbie had us playing in the Championship once we were promoted, and then Cathro came in with an attacking style that has also disappeared. The common denominator is Levein. 

Many saying they thought he was a great manager but I fail to see it. Personally think the club ( in financial terms ) is not big enough for a DoF role, and no other director in the box would send down messages to the manager, so why is he so different? IF Levein was this great tactician and his influence had us playing like Barcelona, we would not be having this discussion, however his playing style and tactics are not working and his choice of an inexperienced manager that needs his in put, is costing us league position and cash. Something has to change and for me that is Levein dumping the DoF role ( stay on the board if he must but stay away from the football side ) and getting in an experienced manager that will take full control of the football on the park. IF he fails then move him out and get someone else and so on until we are where we deserve.

Thought he spoke well to finally clear up exactly what happened at Pittodrie.

It proves there is no one else to blame for mess we're in. It's all down to Cathro.

Of course he did.

Some 'fans' have just nailed their colours to the mast and won't change now until the whole football structure of the club is dismantled.

Pathetic.

They don't have the brain cells to understand a system that works the world over.

Archived