Some People

Eckauskas

Need to get an f'ing grip.

I take football training for kids in Primaries 3 and 4 in Duns, absolutely love every minute of it. 95% of the kids have an enthusiasim that is really infectious. So much so, I'm taking my kids coaching badges after the summer.

But for every 5 kids that just wanna get stuck in, theres 1 who just doesn't understand that football is a contact sport. But I'm not too bothered about that, I don't let them fly into challenges.

It's parents I have the problems with.

One child in particular is a bit of a hypocrondriac. You look at him, he falls over. But I suppose with him being a Rangers fan and watching Nacho Novo on a regular basis, that's to be expected. But tonight took the biscuit.

Imagine the scene; Corner kick to the bibs. Ball comes in, said child is knocked over in the goalmouth scramble, ball is cleared to safety. When I turn around to make sure everyone is OK, I notice the wee guy is on his arse and with a face like fizz. He demands a penalty, which I don't give him.

2 minutes later, his dad/grandad has stormed onto the pitch to remonstrate with the wee guy who was marking his son/grandson. Screaming and shouting in his face that he's a thug and should be hauled off. Bear in mind, this wee boy is 7 years old.

When asked to leave the pitch, he shouts at me, demands his son gets a penalty and storms off when I refuse. At the end of the session, I'm helping pack up when this arsehole comes back.

Tells me he's reporting me and storms off again, telling me his son/grandson will not be back.

Seriously, what a *****. If you're unhappy at the prospect of your child taking a wee knock every now and again, you're clearly showing them into the wrong sport.

I sincerly hope no-one on Kickback is like this. If so, you need to have a word.

[/rant]

tommythejambo

It's ar**holes, much like that. That drive perfectly good coaches away from the game.

They need to get a ******ing grip indeed.

A work colleague of mine has stopped refereeing due to the behaviour of parents on the sidelines, some sickening stuff goes on.

scott_jambo

I take football training for kids in Primaries 3 and 4 in Duns, absolutely love every minute of it. 95% of the kids have an enthusiasim that is really infectious. So much so, I'm taking my kids coaching badges after the summer.

But for every 5 kids that just wanna get stuck in, theres 1 who just doesn't understand that football is a contact sport. But I'm not too bothered about that, I don't let them fly into challenges.

One child in particular is a bit of a hypocrondriac. You look at him, he falls over. But I suppose with him being a Rangers fan and watching Nacho Novo on a regular basis, that's to be expected. But tonight took the biscuit.

Imagine the scene; Corner kick to the bibs. Ball comes in, said child is knocked over in the goalmouth scramble, ball is cleared to safety. When I turn around to make sure everyone is OK, I notice the wee guy is on his arse and with a face like fizz. He demands a penalty, which I don't give him.

2 minutes later, his dad/grandad has stormed onto the pitch to remonstrate with the wee guy who was marking his son/grandson. Screaming and shouting in his face that he's a thug and should be hauled off. Bear in mind, this wee boy is 7 years old.

When asked to leave the pitch, he shouts at me, demands his son gets a penalty and storms off when I refuse. At the end of the session, I'm helping pack up when this arsehole comes back.

Tells me he's reporting me and storms off again, telling me his son/grandson will not be back.

Seriously, what a *****. If you're unhappy at the prospect of your child taking a wee knock every now and again, you're clearly showing them into the wrong sport.

I sincerly hope no-one on Kickback is like this. If so, you need to have a word.

[/rant]

You must be kidding! at 5-7 years old, you should not be letting them get knocked about at all. They do not need to learn football is a contact sport at age 5, they can learn that in the playground with other kids. Its your job to look after there safety.

you should be providing a positive coaching experience for ALL the kids, with the basis on fair play and having fun. Not teaching them that you have to take a few knocks. Like i said before, theyl learn that themselves.

If the parent was angry enough to go mental, and say they wouldnt be back, well maybe you should reflect on what you want the kids your coaching to get out of their sessions?

A work colleague of mine has stopped refereeing due to the behaviour of parents on the sidelines, some sickening stuff goes on.

I could well believe that.

It's worrying that I go to Uni in September, basically leaving no-one to teach these kids instead as the other guy works with the Primary 1's and 2's.

And I don't think tonights fiasco will have many people stepping forward.

Which would be an almighty shame for the kids.

The Old Tolbooth

Fair play to you for being involved in the kids football Eck, it's a difficult thing to do, especially when you get cocks like the one you described above.

I'm surprised you didn't banjo the tosser, I hate folk like that.

You must be kidding! at 5-7 years old, you should not be letting them get knocked about at all. They do not need to learn football is a contact sport at age 5, they can learn that in the playground with other kids. Its your job to look after there safety.

you should be providing a positive coaching experience for ALL the kids, with the basis on fair play and having fun. Not teaching them that you have to take a few knocks. Like i said before, theyl learn that themselves.

If the parent was angry enough to go mental, and say they wouldnt be back, well maybe you should reflect on what you want the kids your coaching to get out of their sessions?

So what? You want them to play touch football? "Oh, I touched you, I get the ball now."

You clearly have NEVER seen a bunch of 7 year olds play football.

I'd respect your opinion if you knew what you were talking about.

I don't teach them to tackle, they know that already. However I teach them the basics of defending. Any child who goes into a slide tackle is immediately pulled up and told not to repeat it.

Trumpet.

Sorry mate but it's only a game of fitba. Even if the kid was fouled and Eck missed it, It doesn't excuse the fathers behaviour. It's a contact sport I'm sure if it was getting out of hand Eck woud have stopped it and anyway how much damage can a 7 year old do. In my experience parents are doing more harm than good in interfering with childrens football.

Sorry mate but it's only a game of fitba. Even if the kid was fouled and Eck missed it, It doesn't excuse the fathers behaviour. It's a contact sport I'm sure if it was getting out of hand Eck woud have stopped it and anyway how much damage can a 7 year old do. In my experience parents are doing more harm than good in interfering with childrens football.

Cheers mate, but as I said twice, I don't allow them to fly into challenges. Any slide tackles are immediately penalised as these kids can actually do a bit of damage with studs.

The 'foul' occured by someone jumping for a header and budging the other child by doing so.

scott_jambo
So what? You want them to play touch football? "Oh, I touched you, I get the ball now."

You clearly have NEVER seen a bunch of 7 year olds play football.

I'd respect your opinion if you knew what you were talking about.

I don't teach them to tackle, they know that already. However I teach them the basics of defending. Any child who goes into a slide tackle is immediately pulled up and told not to repeat it.

Trumpet.

Try teaching them not to floor each other during corners?

Try teaching them not to floor each other during corners?

You mean teach them not to jump for a header? Which is what brought about the 'foul'.

You clearly have no idea.

Cheers mate, but as I said twice, I don't allow them to fly into challenges. Any slide tackles are immediately penalised as these kids can actually do a bit of damage with studs.

The 'foul' occured by someone jumping for a header and budging the other child by doing so.

I sense Scott thinks you're trying to develop youngsters in the Barasa mould, although I'm not sure what his evidence for this is:confused:

scott_jambo
You mean teach them not to jump for a header? Which is what brought about the 'foul'.

You clearly have no idea.

hoofball.

I sense Scott thinks you're trying to develop youngsters in the Barasa mould, although I'm not sure what his evidence for this is:confused:

Next Friday will be the day I teach them about slyly elbowing someone in the face :rolleyes:

Dagger Is Back

Did he not say he was working with P3 & P4 and that this kid was 7YO?

Football is a contact sport - it's unavoidable. Bumps and bruises will happen and it's all part of growing up. Kids fall on the ground, they bump into each other, they get the ball in the coupon, etc.

I coach kids in sport and to be honest I don't have a problem with what Eck says.

Did he not say he was working with P3 & P4 and that this kid was 7YO?

Football is a contact sport - it's unavoidable. Bumps and bruises will happen and it's all part of growing up. Kids fall on the ground, they bump into each other, they get the ball in the coupon, etc.

I coach kids in sport and to be honest I don't have a problem with what Eck says.

As I've repeatedly said, they aren't allowed to slide tackle. They don't know how to time them right and will end up hurting someone.

My group play games at the weekend and I at least want them to know that the odd bump is going to happen, so they know what to expect.

scott_jambo

I have revised my position on the basis that i my alcoholic content restricted my reading of the text! They are in fact Primary 4 and not 5 years old :confused:

Apoligies to all concerned! Not you Eck. Joke...:P:eek:

Dagger Is Back
As I've repeatedly said, they aren't allowed to slide tackle. They don't know how to time them right and will end up hurting someone.

My group play games at the weekend and I at least want them to know that the odd bump is going to happen, so they know what to expect.

Well I coach kids in a variety of sports between ages of 5 and 9 and as far as football is concerned, sliding tackles are out at all ages (mind you we're indoors). Tackles are allowed and I don't see a problem with that - it's part and parcel of the game.

The odd bump is gonna happen no matter what sport they play - we coach in baseball, basketball, cricket, football, hockey, tennis, rugby and volleyball.

Bumps can and will happen in every single one of those sports. Mind you when you see some of the cotton wooling that goes on when a bairn gets a bump these days, you'd cry!

Luckily the majority will get a knock of some sort and just get up and get on with it.

These kids are a joy to teach.

Griclesfield

i think for your next lesson you should show them the John Hartson kick to the heed of Eyal Berkovich and also John Hartson versus Judas Webster when he elbowed him to the ground.

in all seriousness its a shame that parents get involved in the way they do, sky sports news were doing documentaries on this a few months back bout how parents become involved and threaten the teachers and refs, its scary ... its more or less saying " dont play football, become a football thug instead son "

i think for your next lesson you should show them the John Hartson kick to the heed of Eyal Berkovich and also John Hartson versus Judas Webster when he elbowed him to the ground.

in all seriousness its a shame that parents get involved in the way they do, sky sports news were doing documentaries on this a few months back bout how parents become involved and threaten the teachers and refs, its scary ... its more or less saying " dont play football, become a football thug instead son "

Nah, I taught them that the same week I taught them how to dive like Miko.

I genuinely think a couple of them are gonna end up supporting Hearts. I decided to name them depending on positions.

I have my Stewart, Miko, Ruben, etc. They all wanna know if we're signing anyone new as well. It's great.

It's ar**holes, much like that. That drive perfectly good coaches away from the game.

They need to get a ******ing grip indeed.

I agree totally with this sentiment.

Keep up the good work Eck, it can't be easy doing stuff like this while getting abuse from parents there.

I agree totally with this sentiment.

Keep up the good work Eck, it can't be easy doing stuff like this while getting abuse from parents there.

The guy can get stuffed TBPH.

I'm good at what I do, and if he doesn't like it, there are plenty of other things he could be doing on a Friday night.

The rest of the kids are the kind that would take a wee knock, get back up and slam home the resulting free kick. These ones are an absolute joy to work with.

I'll leave this open to any KB'ers who might be around the area anytime. If you're in Duns for any amount of time, PM me and let me know. I'd be happy to let your kids join in if they wanted a kickabout for an hour or so with us. They'd be more than welcome.

They proclaim on the news every few weeks that people like Wayne Rooney and Ashley Coles behaviour towards officials rubs off on youngsters and shows them a bad example, from what I have seen its the halfwit parents that are learning more from then than the kids.

I imagine it would have been quite scary for the kids at 6/7 year old to have such conflict going on when they are trying to have some fun learning how to play football.

Its the neanderthol halfwit parents who sit in front of the TV calling the ref everyname under the sun that is setting a bad example for the kids I reckon.

I could go on but its getting late. Reading your post Eckauskas has got me annoyed, I hate when a fun activity like sport is ruined by people who take things to seriously.

I used to go and see ma nephew play footy and was disgusted by the parents at the sidelines,they need to listen to themselves sometimes.But keep up the good work m8

kids are just not allowed to be kids anymore

i used to play a bit of hockey when i was at school and the amount of times i ended up with skint knees/shins/thighs from playing on blaize, or with bruises from the hockey sticks or whatever.....

we're breeding a nation of chavs, layabouts and ill mannered little forkers, so fair play to you eck, and those like you, helping to get kids away from their pc's & playstations, and out playing a good old fashioned bit of sport.

i always say i can't be arsed with kids, but in fairness its usually the parents who rip my knitting the most

i used to play a bit of hockey when i was at school and the amount of times i ended up with skint knees/shins/thighs from playing on blaize, or with bruises from the hockey sticks or whatever.....

we're breeding a nation of chavs, layabouts and ill mannered little forkers, so fair play to you eck, and those like you, helping to get kids away from their pc's & playstations, and out playing a good old fashioned bit of sport.

i always say i can't be arsed with kids, but in fairness its usually the parents who rip my knitting the most

Teach them to sing i say !!

:)

Teach them to sing i say !!

:)

just like in the coca cola advert you mean?

Well done Eck - for not descending to his level and decking the tosspot.

(Unless you really did and just aren't telling us) :D

If the dont want there sons to have contact sports give them the phone number of the local ballet clases. jessie's the lot of them...:mad:

My 12 year old cousin plays rugby and football, he is very good at both and whilst I have not seen him play football, I have seen him play rugby and been told stories of parents grievances.

My aunt hates going to watch him play football because the parents spend all day ripping into kids that aren't flying into tackles and chopping their opponents. Therugby parents are completely different and generally more supportive.

Respect to you Eck for running a team - I'm a scouter so have experience of working with kids, but couldn't do what you do.

Eck, if the dad/granddad comes back, and he probably will, tell him the wee lad is welcome but he isn't unless you get an apology.

Do it front of any other parents that are around and stand your ground.

Explain that you won't stand for that behaviour and that storming onto the pitch is unacceptable and could be quite frightening to the other laddies.

Be polite but be firm... then either watch him squirm and apologise or fly off the handle again in front of the other parents. Win / Win for you.

jamboinglasgow
My 12 year old cousin plays rugby and football, he is very good at both and whilst I have not seen him play football, I have seen him play rugby and been told stories of parents grievances.

My aunt hates going to watch him play football because the parents spend all day ripping into kids that aren't flying into tackles and chopping their opponents. Therugby parents are completely different and generally more supportive.

Respect to you Eck for running a team - I'm a scouter so have experience of working with kids, but couldn't do what you do.

As I went to a rugby school I played rugby since p5 (played minirugby, the equivlent of football youth clubs for two years before that.) It can be quite rough as young kids will get stuck in. Used to love have my bath when I got home from rugby as I liked seeing the new bruise that I had attained. There were times when there were parents whose behaviour you could not believe as they would go mad at their 12 year old son for not playing as well as a proffesional rugby player, for taunting the opposition players. Thankfully it is rare.

For me, I think kids need to take bumps in games, not delibartly and obviously not slide tackles, but parents need to remember what they are watching is young kids and not proffesional footballers or in the example you gave Eckauskus, the parents need to learn that a quiet word to the coach is better then going mental. Think its good that there are coaches who take up coaching of young ages as these are needed and maybe some drastic action is needed to stop these idiot parents from ruining it. Maybe banning some parents from the touch line.

That's maybe the real reason our refs are so poor in this country.

If 90% of the refs get scared of by the intimidation at U12's then the chances of us producing world class refs is seriously diminished. (90% is a guess, but it ain't realistic).

A guy at my work did his ref badges as part of his sports coaching course and started taking a few youth games, but as soon as he had to make a tough decision, that was it.

The parents on the sidelines couldn't control their filthy sewers, and he said the abuse he got was the worst he's ever had (this from a guy who grew up in Wester Hailes).

I used to run an under 14 team and ultimately packed it in because of parents who thought their lads were ronaldo and couldn't understand why they were left on the bench. The irony is, the kids knew the score and were just delighted to be involved.

On a seperate note, you would not believe the parents here in Spain. I was at an under 12 game recently where the slightly chubby centre half headed the ball into his own net for a last minute winner for the opposition. a group of around 8 mums were chanting and pointing at him something which translates roughly as "you useless fat pig!". The lad was disconsolate and it nearly sparked a riot as the wee boys dad went for them - un fecking believable! :mad:

Guest S.U.S.S.

How the hell is he supposed to stop something before it happens?

Your sound like one of these parents who cant take the fact your son wont be the next Ronaldo so blame everyone for that fact.

I take it you support the stopping of sports days so nobody has to lose.

Take a look at yourself before having a go at someone giving something back to a game he loves.

Guest S.U.S.S.
Eck, if the dad/granddad comes back, and he probably will, tell him the wee lad is welcome but he isn't unless you get an apology.

Do it front of any other parents that are around and stand your ground.

Explain that you won't stand for that behaviour and that storming onto the pitch is unacceptable and could be quite frightening to the other laddies.

Be polite but be firm... then either watch him squirm and apologise or fly off the handle again in front of the other parents. Win / Win for you.

And if that doesnt work, happy slap him and get it uploaded!:)

Ray Winstone

[/rant]

Having worked with taking kids for training at Rugby and Hockey I can say there is one thing that always remains the same.

When a kid gets knocked over, ball in the face - whatever - If you look at them - by god they will react.

If however you ignore them (I dont mean completely as you have to make sure they are ok) but just tell them to get up and crack on 9 times out of 10 they will.

As for this boys dad or whatever that ran on the pitch for a rant - sounds to me like a d**k who needs to sort his life out.

Probably in a dead end job, hates his kids, hates his life so just gets angry about everything. Probably shouts at his kid for not trying hard enough.

portobellojambo1
How the hell is he supposed to stop something before it happens?

Your sound like one of these parents who cant take the fact your son wont be the next Ronaldo so blame everyone for that fact.

I take it you support the stopping of sports days so nobody has to lose.

Take a look at yourself before having a go at someone giving something back to a game he loves.

Agree with you totally S.Us.S.S.., it is things like the above that are turning this nation into a bunch of lah deh dah, spineless, winless tossers.

How can you have competitive fecking sport and not have winners and losers, we are destroying the pride you get in winning and replacing it with PC correct, love and harmony style "participating is the most important thing". Is it feck, winning is the most important thing, you shouldn't get prizes for participating, you should get prizes for winning.

And in relation to football the best time to drill that into kids, and to start finding out who has got what it takes to be winners is when they are young.

Teach them young the skills of the game, but also teach them to be winners. Feck all this poofy "well done, you got beat today but..." malarky, teach them that the riches come to those who are best and if they are not good enough encourage them to bugger off and play rugby or croquet.

It is perfectly possible to teach kids the rudiments of the game and train them to be winners at the same time, those who have made the wrong choice games wise will quickly be found out.

Miller Jambo 60

[/rant]

Well played mate for helping the bairns.

My nephew was a promising centre half and as you say certain mature clowns would want to make a fuss.

To be honest i was not one to hang back when i played sat and sun Amt.

But some nob would be on the side to call me a dirty bas.

You are right if they cant cope go home and get the knitting out.

[/rant]

Big up to yu taking brats in the first place Eck. I am glad you don't take them for math though:)

Sadly true. Husref Jnr will have no such nonsense!

Eck,

More power to you. Each and every person that devotes their own time to coach young kids should be treasured. I hope you push forward with your badges and continue to coach despite the stupid parents.

Just make sure and remind the kids that the Hibs are gay and their footballing dreams can be lived at Tynecastle. :)

Sadly true. Husref Jnr will have no such nonsense!

Eck,

More power to you. Each and every person that devotes their own time to coach young kids should be treasured. I hope you push forward with your badges and continue to coach despite the stupid parents.

Just make sure and remind the kids that the Hibs are gay and their footballing dreams can be lived at Tynecastle. :)

As I've said, theres a few who come to training, but only support an English team.

Needless to say, I'm subtley trying to lean them towards Hearts.

One wee guy even turned up yesterday wearing a Hearts top because he had started to like them more :laugh:

As I've said, theres a few who come to training, but only support an English team.

Needless to say, I'm subtley trying to lean them towards Hearts.

One wee guy even turned up yesterday wearing a Hearts top because he had started to like them more :laugh:

Haha good work Eck. I used to do the same for local kids that I babysat for. Turn them into jambos when they're young and you're sorted.

I had one wee boy who pinned up an SoH poster which I still had on me after a match! He then promptly marched round the house for the rest of the night shouting "Keep Hearts in Gorgie"! He'd been a Rangers fan up til that point cos his best friend at school was one. He was only 6!!

His parents even called me a couple of weeks later to ask about getting his a Hearts strip!

:cool:

Haha good work Eck. I used to do the same for local kids that I babysat for. Turn them into jambos when they're young and you're sorted.

I had one wee boy who pinned up an SoH poster which I still had on me after a match! He then promptly marched round the house for the rest of the night shouting "Keep Hearts in Gorgie"! He'd been a Rangers fan up til that point cos his best friend at school was one. He was only 6!!

His parents even called me a couple of weeks later to ask about getting his a Hearts strip!

:cool:

You can get done for child abuse you know Jen;)

Got a phonecall this evening fro the guy I take training with.

The guy phoned the representitive of the SFA that we work with to complain about me.

Apparently he threw a complete wobbler when he stuck up for me and refused to have me blacklisted as a coach.

I sincerly hope he's back on Friday, tw@t.

Ray Winstone
Got a phonecall this evening fro the guy I take training with.

The guy phoned the representitive of the SFA that we work with to complain about me.

Apparently he threw a complete wobbler when he stuck up for me and refused to have me blacklisted as a coach.

I sincerly hope he's back on Friday, tw@t.

The sad thing is it will be his son that misses out.

I imagine he looks forward to going to football training every week (I certainly did when I was that age) and his old man wont let him go now because he has taken the huff.

I feel sorry for the little guy.

The sad thing is it will be his son that misses out.

I imagine he looks forward to going to football training every week (I certainly did when I was that age) and his old man wont let him go now because he has taken the huff.

I feel sorry for the little guy.

I'm not sorry tbf.

He was disruptive and agitated the other kids to the point where they wouldn't wanna be paired off with him. He's clearly only there to kick a ball around, not to actually learn anything.

I know it sounds harsh, but if he's not willing to listen, I'm not willing to teach.

My boy has just started playing football in Aus and here they play 4 a side with no keepers, no offsides, no goalies (pug goals), no corners, no shys, no leagues etc etc

has been running for 8 weeks now and I have yet to see a foul awarded. Mostly it is just accidental bumps that happen and the kids generally just pick themselves up and get on with it. Yes, there are some tears but not too many.

Re the behaviour of the parents I have not personally witnessed anything and most of the parents cheer for both teams and it is all very positive.

I have,however, been told of incidents etc but having said that the clubs here do not stand for any crap. The guy in your story would have been told to leave the grounds immediately and banned. Simple as.

My boy has just started playing football in Aus and here they play 4 a side with no keepers, no offsides, no goalies (pug goals), no corners, no shys, no leagues etc etc

has been running for 8 weeks now and I have yet to see a foul awarded. Mostly it is just accidental bumps that happen and the kids generally just pick themselves up and get on with it. Yes, there are some tears but not too many.

Re the behaviour of the parents I have not personally witnessed anything and most of the parents cheer for both teams and it is all very positive.

I have,however, been told of incidents etc but having said that the clubs here do not stand for any crap. The guy in your story would have been told to leave the grounds immediately and banned. Simple as.

Because you haven't said how old your lad is, I'm going to assume that he's roughly around the age that my group are. Where the balls goes, 75% of them follow. Bumps and knocks are always going to happen.

I still struggle to grasp quite why this man thought his son was never going to get a bump every now and again.

It beggars belief.

Archived