Willie Bauld Dinner - Entrance to Gorgie Suite

andythejambo

andythejambo

For those planning to attend the Willie Bauld Dinner on Saturday 11th, please be aware that entrance to the Gorgie Suite will be via the Gorgie Road Entrance. The normal access via McLeod Street will be closed after the Hamilton match as the site gets handed back to the contractors. 

Thanks for the pics Iain.  Would love to hear more about this from people who attended.  Tremendous that this dinner is still held decades after the King hung up his boots.

How many were there?  Who is Duncan McKenzie?  Who got pissed?  Is Donald Trump sane?

So many questions.

Hope it was a great night.  Sure it would have been.

RIP Tommy Preston.  I know he was a regular attendee for years.

Were Hibs represented?

Any info genuinely appreciated.

Donald Ford looking great.

Thanks for the pics Iain.  Would love to hear more about this from people who attended.  Tremendous that this dinner is still held decades after the King hung up his boots.

How many were there?  350 - FULL HOOSE

Who is Duncan McKenzie?  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duncan_McKenzie

Who got pissed? everyone

Is Donald Trump sane? no

So many questions.

Hope it was a great night.  Sure it would have been.

RIP Tommy Preston.  I know he was a regular attendee for years.

Were Hibs represented?

Any info genuinely appreciated.

Donald Ford looking great.

The dinner was hosted by Scott Wilson in his usual manner!

Donald Ford spoke with passion about his 12 years as a player and what it meant to play for the club.

Robbo concentrated on similarities between himself & The King - won the School Board Cup at same age, scored first goal for Hearts on exactly same day, same number of caps (16) and both played with Bowman & Mackay.

"Willie was supplied with a conveyor belt of chances by Andy Bowman & Dave Mackay. I was supplied with a conveyor belt of chances by Gary Mackay & Dave Bowman supplied a conveyor belt of yellow cards!"

Journalist Brian Scott delivered the "Toast To The King" and had a book of poems about Willie he bought with his lunch money as a 12 year old. Ken Stott read one of them.

Duncan McKenzie regaled us with tales from his illustrious football career and did a pretty good "Cloughie" impersonation.

The one sour note - for me anyway - was John Hunter from the FHSC (Federation, not Foundation) who delivered the "Toast To The Heart of Midlothian". He used this as a personal platform to criticise the club for letting Gary Locke go and appointing Craig Levein as DoF. Now, I know we've all got our own individual views on these matters but this was wrong time, wrong place. I'm not sure how you can raise a toast to the club whilst having a go at the same time.

Dougie Masterton

Donald Ford spoke with passion about his 12 years as a player and what it meant to play for the club.

Robbo concentrated on similarities between himself & The King - won the School Board Cup at same age, scored first goal for Hearts on exactly same day, same number of caps (16) and both played with Bowman & Mackay.

"Willie was supplied with a conveyor belt of chances by Andy Bowman & Dave Mackay. I was supplied with a conveyor belt of chances by Gary Mackay & Dave Bowman supplied a conveyor belt of yellow cards!"

Journalist Brian Scott delivered the "Toast To The King" and had a book of poems about Willie he bought with his lunch money as a 12 year old. Ken Stott read one of them.

Duncan McKenzie regaled us with tales from his illustrious football career and did a pretty good "Cloughie" impersonation.

The one sour note - for me anyway - was John Hunter from the FHSC (Federation, not Foundation) who delivered the "Toast To The Heart of Midlothian". He used this as a personal platform to criticise the club for letting Gary Locke go and appointing Craig Levein as DoF. Now, I know we've all got our own individual views on these matters but this was wrong time, wrong place. I'm not sure how you can raise a toast to the club whilst having a go at the same time.

And you can rest assured that the last part won't happen again.

Did Duncan McKenzie not jump over parked cars as a party trick?

I know his next door neighbour who sometimes drives him to events.

He says Duncan is a great guy with hundreds of stories.

Not on the night!

But he did show a picture of him doing exactly that in a car park - 1 hour before a game!

And you can rest assured that the last part won't happen again.

A brilliantly organised event Dougie. Well done to everyone involved.

Does that dinosaur still have a platform?   Heard John Hunter slaver p!sh many a time, so not surprising.  

First time attending the Dinner and it was an excellent night, Duncan McKenzie was before my time but enjoyed his stories.

I don't know John Hunter but did find it strange he used his time to have a dig about the sacking of Locke and hiring of Levein given what the night was about, not really the time or place.

Rabbie_Burns

Had to miss this year's dinner due to working nightshift alas, seem to remember Duncan McKenzie being one of the guests several years ago too ? Spoke very well and gave some very interesting and amusing stories I recall

What exactly did this chap say about Lockie and Levein?

Thanks though Iain, great pics. Good to see Gary Mackay in among them. Been enjoying his articles the last few weeks.

Many congratulations to everyone involved in making this event happen.

Just brilliant.

broxburnjambo

Thanks for the update guys and apologies i missed this years dinner.

The views of John Hunters are his personal views and are not the views of the Federation of Hearts supporters clubs. He had no mandate from the Federation.

Thanks for the update guys and apologies i missed this years dinner.

The views of John Hunters are his personal views and are not the views of the Federation of Hearts supporters clubs. He had no mandate from the Federation.

Someone needs to tell him that then as it's not the first time.

So what did he say ?

I asked this yesterday.

I think without knowing what was said we shouldn't be condemning the guy.

John Findlay

I asked this yesterday.

I think without knowing what was said we shouldn't be condemning the guy.

Read all the thread.

Read all the thread.

Had a go at the club getting rid of Lockie and not happy with Levein. I got that John

Looking for this to be expanded on

Had a go at the club getting rid of Lockie and not happy with Levein. I got that John

Looking for this to be expanded on

Not much to expand on. He went on about the Federation standing up to Pieman / Romanov etc and chucked in his unhappiness about the treatment of Locke and the appointment of Levein right at the end.

the big show

Not much to expand on. He went on about the Federation standing up to Pieman / Romanov etc and chucked in his unhappiness about the treatment of Locke and the appointment of Levein right at the end.

Although he has not fully elaborated the full story i would guess it was the way Levein and the club went about it , you don't ask the guys ... ie Lockie and Billy Brown out for a meal and then sit there and discuss things about the football side of things knowing full well you are going to tell the guys 5 or 6 days later you no longer require there services and not bat a eye lid about it on the night in question .  PS... i never seen Levein in any of the photos was he there ? or was there a reason why he was not there .

Thanks mate.

I'd say he is half right. Levein is a nightmare but keeping Locke would have been madness, look what he is doing now. That tells you all you need to know!

The Treasurer

Thanks mate.

I'd say he is half right. Levein is a nightmare but keeping Locke would have been madness, look what he is doing now. That tells you all you need to know!

I don't think it's what he said (everyone will have their own views) it was more the platform he used to express his own personal opinion

I don't think it's what he said (everyone will have their own views) it was more the platform he used to express his own personal opinion

Exactly this.

Using the "Toast To The Heart of Midlothian" as a platform to air personal views is well out of order.

Footballfirst

Yes I would agree with that.

I assume he won't be invited back then?

At age 81 he should be allowed to "retire"

...a bit disco

At age 81 he should be allowed to "retire"

A tad extreme FF, no?

iceman-6.jpg

:whistling:

I remember having a 'disagreement' with J H on the Orwell bus in the early 90s. I would never raise my fist against an old Hearts Man.

So his laddie got it instead....

Joking apart as many have said its not the place to air personal viewpoints especially when remembering a great and representing an important organisation such as the Federation.

Even one there with my birthday cake. :party:  :happybday:

Did you suss out what the candles said?

....as many have said its not the place to air personal viewpoints especially when remembering a great and representing an important organisation such as the Federation.

Don't think he was representing the Federation - he was just there in a personal capacity - and I fully agree with you, not the right time or place for what he said

Don't think he was representing the Federation - he was just there in a personal capacity - and I fully agree with you, not the right time or place for what he said

He was wearing a maroon blazer but not sure if it was his own or a representative one.

Dougie Masterton

Did you suss out what the candles said?

Never noticed mate, half pissed by that time.

broxburnjambo

He was wearing a maroon blazer but not sure if it was his own or a representative one.

Iain

That would be the federation blazer, however as already indicated he was not there representing the federation. If John chose to wear this, again that was his personal choice, 

Archived