Billy McNeill

Gards

Met him in estonia years ago when i was at a scotland game, as people have said you couldn't have met a nicer man

Bridge of Djoum

Very sad, obviously a Celtic great. A terrible disease (dementia, that is, not being a Celtic great).

Is it really that difficult to keep your tribute act sympathies out of this?

One of the iconic images of football. Billy lifting the European Cup, surrounded by a bunch of rag-tag but very talented boys from Glasgow.

My father is going through the same illness, horrendous thing. I wish Billy Mcneill and his family all the very best.

Stephane Grappelli

Very sad, and rather worrying, that some people can't just pay tribute to a true great without having to have a wee dig at Celtic.

MacDonald Jardine

Very sad. He always seemed decent.

As well as a great player he was a decent manager too.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

As an aside, how did McNeill only win 29 caps for Scotland?

Was there far less games at the time? Was long before I was born so I've no idea, just seems odd that the captain for over a decade of what at the time was one the best sides in the World has about the same number of caps as Grant Hanley.

Was there far less games at the time? Was long before I was born so I've no idea, just seems odd that the captain for over a decade of what at the time was one the best sides in the World has about the same number of caps as Grant Hanley.

Someone more knowledgeable than I can confirm this, but, I think they never used to be presented for friendlies, and I think you only physically get one for a tournament. Or something like that.

Someone more knowledgeable than I can confirm this, but, I think they never used to be presented for friendlies, and I think you only physically get one for a tournament. Or something like that.

I think that you were only given one cap per season, embroidered with the names of the teams you played against, however if you played in 3 games it did count as 3 caps in your record.

With regards to dementia, there were 2 members of my golf club who were professional footballers in the old Scottish first division and both of them were diagnosed with dementia at a fairly young age.

Anyone of my age will remember the old leather ball that was brick hard at the best of times, but when it got wet it was like a cannonball and it honestly would come as no surprise to me if there was a link between the two, especially for centre halves and centre forwards who headed the ball countless times in the game when at that time both teams had two wingers constantly crossing the ball.

Fewer games and more competition for starting place. You have European cup winners from the 60s, 70s, 80s, with sub 20-30caps... I'm thinking of the likes of Alan Evans and Alan Hansen. John McGovern captained Notts forest to two consecutive European cup victories... not one Scotland cap..... can you imagine that now? Regular starter In second tier of the English football with a Scottish granny and you are almost certainly in double figure caps for Scotland. It's sad what a joke we have become.

Malinga the Swinga

Dementia, like cancer, doesn't give a toss about religion, colour or creed. It transcends sporting rivalry and I can only offer sympathies to those who suffer from it. Saw McNeill play many times v Hearts and he seemed a fair enough player who was respected wherever he went.

A good reminder that players like him, and indeed our own elder relatives and friends, should be celebrated whilst they are still with us and we shouldn't wait until death to remember the great things that he and others achieved. I very much doubt we will see Scottish players achieve as much for a very very long time.

I remember asking a Celtic supporter of my vintage who he considered to be the greatest Celtic player in Stein's era.  Big Billy he said, head and shoulders above the rest.  He proceeded to tell me about games where Celtic fell apart when BM was missing.

I expect a lot of Celtic supporters would share that view.

Sad to hear this. As a player and a leader he was a true giant of the game in Scotland when I was growing up.

Always seemed very odd to me that, as captain of the first British team to win the European Cup, he's never got a knighthood.

Archived