Billy McNeill

Gards

In amongst the understandable frustrations and anger with our current plight, I thought this piece on Billy McNeill was quite a sobering read:-

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/celtic-great-billy-mcneills-wife-9918666

Regardless of which team he played for - he is a giant in the game and such a shame to see his deterioration.

He is a great and completely non controversial figure. I doubt if anyone other than morons have ever had a bad word to say about him.

Very sad.

Very sad, obviously a Celtic great. A terrible disease (dementia, that is, not being a Celtic great).

Seriously, was there any need for that?

Sad to read.

First Scottish Cup final I can recall watching was Celtic v. Airdrie in 1975. His last ever game, I believe.

He seems to be liked and respected by all which speaks volumes for the type of bloke he apparently is.

Best wishes to Billy and his family.

Very sad, obviously a Celtic great. A terrible disease (dementia, that is, not being a Celtic great).

If that was an attempt at humour is was tasteless and unfunny in equal measure.

My old man's met him a few times in Celtic hospitality when we've been playing through there and said a nicer man you couldn't meet.

Dementia is shite.

Dave McCreery's knee

I was standing near him in hospitality before a celtic game at tynecastle when a hearts fan took his son, about 8 years old and in hearts colours over to meet him as he had told him this man had won the european cup. He was deep in conversation with John Reid at the time, who's face was tripping him at being interupted. But McNeill smiled, shook the boys hand, asked him if he played football and if so, what position. He showed genuine interest and said, enjoy your football son, remember to always play with a smile on your face.

Best wishes to him and his family.

A horrible disease that robs people of so much. Feel sorry for him and his family who have to watch him going through it.

There is much within that article I can relate to on a personal level. Early onset dementia is a truly horrible disease.

All the very best to Billy McNeil and his family. A great of the Scottish game and a gentleman.

Diadora Van Basten

It's a very cruel disease I seem to remember Billy McNeil struggling at a Champions league draw.

I always thought McNeil came across as a gentleman and spoke well (at the end of the day) it's sad to see this happening to him.

It's a horrible condition. The light at the end of the tunnel is that they are very close to having treatments now that will stop/slow the progression of Alzheimer's, far more so than other neurological disorders.

A gent and legend from a great generation for Scottish football. What we'd give for passion like his in our defence just now.

Fair bit of it in my family, it's horrific. My gran had it and for the last few years of her life she went from a strong and argumentative woman to a frightened and confused shell of her former self. Just buried another family member last week too.

Mental illness is a pretty horrendous thing to live with for every member of a family, not only those who lose themselves to it. It leaves a hole in the family unit before the person who's suffering has even physically gone yet.

There is some fantastic work going on in this field nowadays though, and there have been recent breakthroughs and discoveries that might one day prevent it.

Sad for Billy and his family.

Geoff Kilpatrick

If that was an attempt at humour is was tasteless and unfunny in equal measure.

Given it was Bowman I can get why he clarified it, given his perceived leanings towards shit blue Glaswegian teams.

Anyway, sad to read about a true legend of the game suffering like this.

I doubt Celtic have had a greater captain.

My best wishes to him and all his family.

Was one cog in a superb wheel that Jock Stein built. One of the best attacking teams I have ever seen.

Always thought he seemed a good guy.

Always thought that

In England there is a beginning of a campaign including by Ian St John to explore the possible link between heading the ball and dementia.

Might hear more about this up here now.

I'm very sorry to read this. Dementia is a terrible illness that affects so many now.

Billy McNeill is a legend of the highest order.

Maroon Sailor

It's a very cruel disease I seem to remember Billy McNeil struggling at a Champions league draw.

I always thought McNeil came across as a gentleman and spoke well (at the end of the day) it's sad to see this happening to him.

I said at the time on here that he didn't look well when he was doing that draw. Couldn't twist open the balls

Maroon Sailor

Funny moment when Billy was getting interviewed after a Celtic Rangers match at Parkhead when Terry Butcher came kicking through a door behind him. Billy jumped out his skin and said you can see how upset they are !

AlphonseCapone

Always thought that

In England there is a beginning of a campaign including by Ian St John to explore the possible link between heading the ball and dementia.

Might hear more about this up here now.

Some research has been done on this but they need more.

Never seen him play, obviously a legend for what he has achieved and seems like universally thought of as a good guy.

Really sad.

Stephane Grappelli

Seriously, was there any need for that?

Exactly.  Really poor taste.

I wish Billy McNeill well, he is an absolute gentleman and a Scottish football legend.

I wish Billy McNeill well, he is an absolute gentleman and a Scottish football legend.

He is

Those younger might not realise that we did once have genuine living legends in Scottish football.

The Real Maroonblood

Sad to read and good luck to him in the future, however non Hearts related topic,

So the op should have put non Hearts related.

Dearie me.

Sad to read and good luck to him in the future, however non Hearts related topic,

Just maybe dementia could affect Hearts players or fans

It's possible

Stephane Grappelli

So the op should have put non Hearts related.

Dearie me.

Exactly.  I was livid when I started reading a thread about Celtic's European Cup winning captain Billy McNeil only to find that it had nothing to do with Hearts!

Despite being one their greatest, Celtic doesn't seem to bring out the worst in him, unlike many others.

Sad news.

He was the captain of a European cup winning side that contained a squad where everyone was born within 20 miles of Glasgow.

This will never ever be repeated.

Now the legend cannot even speak, his family has my sympathy as I know what a ******* of a disease it is, and know what they are going through as my Dad has it, fortunately he can still talk, but it is so horrible to see the Father that you love and respect bearly being able to hold a conversation, it breaks my heart and my families.

I attended a Rangers European night at Ibrox as a sponsor's guest a few years ago - must have been quite a few as Donald Finlay was hosting the evening. Billy was an honorary guest. Finlay made a little speech and proceeded to try to take the piss out of Celtic and Billy. Billy just rose above it and ignored the sectarian stuff. Even Rangers fans were thinking what a tosser Finlay was and how impressive Billy had been in just ignoring the nonsense. Giant of a man.

Would like to echo the comments made on this thread (most of them anyway), there are not many in Scottish football who are held in as high regard than Billy McNeill.

Always comes across as a humble guy and has the respect of his opponents everywhere.

I attended a Rangers European night at Ibrox as a sponsor's guest a few years ago - must have been quite a few as Donald Finlay was hosting the evening. Billy was an honorary guest. Finlay made a little speech and proceeded to try to take the piss out of Celtic and Billy. Billy just rose above it and ignored the sectarian stuff. Even Rangers fans were thinking what a tosser Finlay was and how impressive Billy had been in just ignoring the nonsense. Giant of a man.

There's only one King Billy and that's McNeil.

Always seems a modest and unassuming person yet achieved things in football that is unlikely to be surpassed by any Scotsman

An all too rare example of a great footballer and very dignified gent, whose stature means he is respected by all regardless of allegiance. How many player can you say that about in the modern game?

Top man and so sad to see him deteriorate so horribly. The footballs that generation of player played with were like cannonballs compared with today's so a link to dementia wouldn't be a shock.

Archived