U20s at Ross County 2pm

Mikey1874

Footballfirst

FT

RC - 4

HMFC - 1

Jonathan Franks who scored two of the goals is a 26 year old midfielder, who was previously with Middlesbrough and Hartlepool as well as a couple of loan deals down south.

Lots of talent at under 16/17 level for sure. Only one Scottish player starting for first team hardly makes us any better than others these days trying to sell the club I guess! Plus the one Scottish player we are playing we all want to drop - maybe the days of having youth academy are coming to an end and redirect the money to better foreigners?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Strange comment, saying there is talent in one breath and in the other saying do away with the Academy.

What you are going to see over the next few years are the fruits of the Levein restructure of the club from the ground up. A plan has been put in place to bring through talent from a young age, push players all the time, take them out of their comfort zone so that by the time they are 17/18/19 they have been playing 20's football and are able to cope with the physical elements because that is the only thing they will struggle with.

The current crop of 16\17's who are coming through are very very good players, all have different attributes but put them together and you would struggle to find any better anywhere in the country and that includes your Rangers golden boy and the boys from Celtic. The club needs to be self sustaining and this currect crop and the ones following behind at 15's 14's are the future and they will be players as well not just footballers running around but real players because thats what the plan is doing.

Suppose it depends what you want from the club, produce their own players so that when they decide to buy then they can spend money to bring someone in or forget all about the youth and hike the prices so you can pay daft money to journeymen....isn't that what Romanov did??

The Apprentice

Jonathan Franks who scored two of the goals is a 26 year old midfielder, who was previously with Middlesbrough and Hartlepool as well as a couple of loan deals down south.

Of the Ross County line up there's Franks as you say, Oscar Gobern who they signed in January, the keeper McCarey who isn't a youngster and Tony Dingwall who has made more than a few first team appearances. Looks like they were more experienced than us on paper anyway.

jamboinglasgow

I also heard from a scout yesterday that Celtic currently have 34 U16/U17s on their books (Hearts have barely half of that).  No wonder they end up with the strongest youth sides when they hoover up all the kids with even a modicum of talent, to the detriment of all the other Scottish sides.

Thats shocking. If the SFA had any real desire to get the best out of Scottish youngsters they would criticise Celtic for hoarding youngsters and look to bring in limits to squad size (I know they want to reduce the number of academy players but that seems to be about reducing the number of academies.) But they would not have the balls to stop Celtic (especially as Celtic officials are so embedded in SFA committees.)

But with the money and prestige they can get away with it. 

orchardmaroon

Strange comment, saying there is talent in one breath and in the other saying do away with the Academy.

What you are going to see over the next few years are the fruits of the Levein restructure of the club from the ground up. A plan has been put in place to bring through talent from a young age, push players all the time, take them out of their comfort zone so that by the time they are 17/18/19 they have been playing 20's football and are able to cope with the physical elements because that is the only thing they will struggle with.

The current crop of 16\17's who are coming through are very very good players, all have different attributes but put them together and you would struggle to find any better anywhere in the country and that includes your Rangers golden boy and the boys from Celtic. The club needs to be self sustaining and this currect crop and the ones following behind at 15's 14's are the future and they will be players as well not just footballers running around but real players because thats what the plan is doing.

Suppose it depends what you want from the club, produce their own players so that when they decide to buy then they can spend money to bring someone in or forget all about the youth and hike the prices so you can pay daft money to journeymen....isn't that what Romanov did??

you miss my point - I agree entirely with you but I was asking the question whether we are seeing the end of the youth academy.

You are obviously a dad of one of the kids - has he signed and in 20's or signing? I have seen lots of the 20's so totally agree re talent.

Is golden boy Gilmour? He's decent to be fair.

jamboinglasgow

you miss my point - I agree entirely with you but I was asking the question whether we are seeing the end of the youth academy.

You are obviously a dad of one of the kids - has he signed and in 20's or signing? I have seen lots of the 20's so totally agree re talent.

I think you are putting too much significance  into the line up for the last game. At the moment we have made short term signings (which may have some long term contracts.) But the academy has always been central to it long term. Plus I would be staggered considering the amount of effort Levein (and others at the club) have made to completely rebuild the academy, for them to just give up would be bizarre. As pointed out earlier, we have gone from last season only offering 3 U17s full time contracts to offer 8. Suggests they feel its going the right way.

Rangers will cash in shortly with there Golden boy , He was down at Chelsea last week and there is a host of other big clubs looking to get him on board i also heard it's silly money that is being offered  . Having seen quite a few under 20's games and a few of the other younger teams at Hearts i honestly believe it is only a matter of time before it starts to bear fruits and make no mistake they are moving in the right direction .

orchardmaroon

I think you are putting too much significance into the line up for the last game. At the moment we have made short term signings (which may have some long term contracts.) But the academy has always been central to it long term. Plus I would be staggered considering the amount of effort Levein (and others at the club) have made to completely rebuild the academy, for them to just give up would be bizarre. As pointed out earlier, we have gone from last season only offering 3 U17s full time contracts to offer 8. Suggests they feel its going the right way.

i hope so - I have supported Hearts since I was a boy and am proud of the players who have developed through the club. However the competition seems now to be too fierce to retain the patience needed!!

jamboinglasgow

i hope so - I have supported Hearts since I was a boy and am proud of the players who have developed through the club. However the competition seems now to be too fierce to retain the patience needed!!

Same here. Part of me would like to see more youngsters play, but I can understand with Cathro that he is trying to get the balance right (think prior to the last window we had the youngest squad in the Premiership.) I do think we are going to see more and more of Currie which is pleasing, he is currently 3rd choice striker so if Johnson and Goncalves are both playing it allows him to come on. Certainly looking more confident with each appearance. I also hope Beith gets more appearances (most likely off the bench.) And Liam Smith will always be on the edge of playing. I think in the summer, and I would hope, that Cathro sits down with McPhee and Levein to decide how they want to develop some players to be in the first team squad to have a mix for the squad.

Rangers will cash in shortly with there Golden boy , He was down at Chelsea last week and there is a host of other big clubs looking to get him on board i also heard it's silly money that is being offered  . Having seen quite a few under 20's games and a few of the other younger teams at Hearts i honestly believe it is only a matter of time before it starts to bear fruits and make no mistake they are moving in the right direction .

I know not many will say this, but I want him to stay at Rangers. I want to see young Scottish talent flourish and he will just get lost at a club like Chelsea among the large ranks. Stay at Rangers and he will make appearances at 16 and build up.

I do have a vested interest in the Academy however it is obvious that clubs like Hearts must have a succesful academy. A lot of changes have been made and thre are a lot more to come but the club needs to bring through it's own players, to be fair all of the clubs outside of Celtic have to. If you stop producing then you lose the clubs identity, the fans lose that link with the club becasue the guys coming in are there for the money not for the club and would jump ship in a heartbeat for a few extra pounds..

If you look at the players in the current squad and you ask the fans who they relate to most they will give you the guys who have come through the Academy. Scottish football is changing, for the better, the dinosaurs who scream all the time from the side are being phased out and replaced by calm coaches who offer small bits of advice and not try to control every move their players make on the pitch. Changing these things takes time but the kids must be allowed to fail in order for them to learn.

The u17's lost 8-0 to Celtic a couple of weeks ago. Celtic started the game with 11 u17 full time players, Hearts had 5 u17's and the rest were u15's and they took off players to bring on more u15's. Now you would ask whats the point in that as an 8-0 defeat puts the kids heads down, but thats not the way the club see it. Playing against players like that, against a team that is drilled and functions as a unit will help these kids going forward and ultimately that is what it is about, getting the very best from your academy to try and push them into your 1st team.

I hope Hearts can keep the boys they have offered deals to and they can start to build. Strangely I am reading Gary Neville's autobiography and he talks a lot about the boys who came through the Academy together and how it hleped make them better players becaus ethey all pushed each other, I can see similar with the boys in the Academy just now, they are all very focussed and determined.....

The new boss just in the door so he needs to stabilise and then look at the youth.

And the boy you talk about....football a game of opinions, decent player yes, superstar certainly not.

orchardmaroon

I do have a vested interest in the Academy however it is obvious that clubs like Hearts must have a succesful academy. A lot of changes have been made and thre are a lot more to come but the club needs to bring through it's own players, to be fair all of the clubs outside of Celtic have to. If you stop producing then you lose the clubs identity, the fans lose that link with the club becasue the guys coming in are there for the money not for the club and would jump ship in a heartbeat for a few extra pounds..

If you look at the players in the current squad and you ask the fans who they relate to most they will give you the guys who have come through the Academy. Scottish football is changing, for the better, the dinosaurs who scream all the time from the side are being phased out and replaced by calm coaches who offer small bits of advice and not try to control every move their players make on the pitch. Changing these things takes time but the kids must be allowed to fail in order for them to learn.

The u17's lost 8-0 to Celtic a couple of weeks ago. Celtic started the game with 11 u17 full time players, Hearts had 5 u17's and the rest were u15's and they took off players to bring on more u15's. Now you would ask whats the point in that as an 8-0 defeat puts the kids heads down, but thats not the way the club see it. Playing against players like that, against a team that is drilled and functions as a unit will help these kids going forward and ultimately that is what it is about, getting the very best from your academy to try and push them into your 1st team.

I hope Hearts can keep the boys they have offered deals to and they can start to build. Strangely I am reading Gary Neville's autobiography and he talks a lot about the boys who came through the Academy together and how it hleped make them better players becaus ethey all pushed each other, I can see similar with the boys in the Academy just now, they are all very focussed and determined.....

The new boss just in the door so he needs to stabilise and then look at the youth.

And the boy you talk about....football a game of opinions, decent player yes, superstar certainly not.

Nice post and I hope your son eventually makes me proud at Tynecastle!!

I do not however agree Scottish football is changing for the better - there are fewer and fewer kids getting a chance as teams take a short term view. I think that remains a disaster for our game as the imports are hardly world beaters. What do teams like Ross County and Inverness add to our game other than a haven for Irish, lower league English and sub standard foreign players? All of them 100% are entitled to ply their trade but it does nothing to progress the overall standard of the game in our country.

I hope my club gets the balance right in time. Ironically Celtic are giving more kids a chance these days but guess they have the quality to teach them and nurture them on the pitch.

Your point re identity is bang on - I always want Sam and Jamie to excel more than others who come and go.

As for the kid at Rangers I said he was decent and not a superstar - you sound a wee bit sour grapes here?? I think all kids at that age should stay out of the limelight and none of them will have the personal attributes to handle headlines and exposure. Clubs should be smarter than that as should the parents.

I hope the lad becomes a superstar along with your son and all his mates around him!!! HHGH

Rangers will cash in shortly with there Golden boy , He was down at Chelsea last week and there is a host of other big clubs looking to get him on board i also heard it's silly money that is being offered  . Having seen quite a few under 20's games and a few of the other younger teams at Hearts i honestly believe it is only a matter of time before it starts to bear fruits and make no mistake they are moving in the right direction

Maybe Rangers will try to keep him for a while longer and get him into the first team

RenfrewHearts

We have Paterson, Nicholson, Walker, Smith, Beith all in out first team squad? Is that not decent enough?

Nice post and I hope your son eventually makes me proud at Tynecastle!!

I do not however agree Scottish football is changing for the better - there are fewer and fewer kids getting a chance as teams take a short term view. I think that remains a disaster for our game as the imports are hardly world beaters. What do teams like Ross County and Inverness add to our game other than a haven for Irish, lower league English and sub standard foreign players? All of them 100% are entitled to ply their trade but it does nothing to progress the overall standard of the game in our country.

I hope my club gets the balance right in time. Ironically Celtic are giving more kids a chance these days but guess they have the quality to teach them and nurture them on the pitch.

Your point re identity is bang on - I always want Sam and Jamie to excel more than others who come and go.

As for the kid at Rangers I said he was decent and not a superstar - you sound a wee bit sour grapes here?? I think all kids at that age should stay out of the limelight and none of them will have the personal attributes to handle headlines and exposure. Clubs should be smarter than that as should the parents.

I hope the lad becomes a superstar along with your son and all his mates around him!!! HHGH

Certainly not sour grapes, I have no influence or interest in how he does, in fact I wish him well however a reality check is needed by the people putting him in the papers and broadcasting how wonderful he is. So far as to say he is the only young CM in Scotland who will make it.......

I can only base the improvement by looking at the youth players. I look at Motherwell giving boys a chance, Falkirk, St Johnstone, Celtic, Hearts, Aberdeen, Thistle and you can only think the standard is improving as these boys are getting gametime. The problem with giving a managerial job to someone with no experience is the pressure they are under when things go wrong. Looking at ICT, they are a case in point. New manager, no experience also no one to offer the advice needed, so solution is more players who he hopes will dig him out of a hole. The Hearts  model works because of CL being the constant so he is a calming influence when the press, fans are all getting a bit hyper.

The Scotland youth sides have some very very good players, with bright futures if they listen and learn, problem is the hype that surrounds some, Dembele at Celtic is another example. Should he be in the u16's national team, in my opinion no, he is out of his depth and he is also flitting between Scotland and England, are we so desperate that we  are allowing a child to dictate when he will play for the national team...supposed to be an honour and the boys who are there have been through trials and wear the shirt with pride....and lets be honest when push comes to shove he will go to England or Ivory Coast becasue they are better sides than Scotland.

I think the management at the club will ensure there is always a pathway into the 1st team for the bets the academy has, they ahve shown it in the past and they understand that to make the club sustainable they need to produce and then sell on talent, same as every club in Scotland.

orchardmaroon

Certainly not sour grapes, I have no influence or interest in how he does, in fact I wish him well however a reality check is needed by the people putting him in the papers and broadcasting how wonderful he is. So far as to say he is the only young CM in Scotland who will make it.......

I can only base the improvement by looking at the youth players. I look at Motherwell giving boys a chance, Falkirk, St Johnstone, Celtic, Hearts, Aberdeen, Thistle and you can only think the standard is improving as these boys are getting gametime. The problem with giving a managerial job to someone with no experience is the pressure they are under when things go wrong. Looking at ICT, they are a case in point. New manager, no experience also no one to offer the advice needed, so solution is more players who he hopes will dig him out of a hole. The Hearts model works because of CL being the constant so he is a calming influence when the press, fans are all getting a bit hyper.

The Scotland youth sides have some very very good players, with bright futures if they listen and learn, problem is the hype that surrounds some, Dembele at Celtic is another example. Should he be in the u16's national team, in my opinion no, he is out of his depth and he is also flitting between Scotland and England, are we so desperate that we are allowing a child to dictate when he will play for the national team...supposed to be an honour and the boys who are there have been through trials and wear the shirt with pride....and lets be honest when push comes to shove he will go to England or Ivory Coast becasue they are better sides than Scotland.

I think the management at the club will ensure there is always a pathway into the 1st team for the bets the academy has, they ahve shown it in the past and they understand that to make the club sustainable they need to produce and then sell on talent, same as every club in Scotland.

I agree with you re talent but not that they are all getting a chance - Aberdeen?? Who is getting a chance there? St Johnstone, nope. Motherwell have stated it's part of their plan which is great. Rangers, nope.

I totally agree we have tons of talented kids in this country but opportunities are now the exception not the rule. I hope the big guy McKay can bang some heads and open up the paths to first teams around the country. I am a massive advocate of this as my country needs it!!!

However this thread started with me simply reflecting on my team starting only one Scot in the starting XI and merely hoping this was not a trend and just a blip - an entirely reasonable reflection.

I am on your side :)

We_are_the_Hearts

I agree with you re talent but not that they are all getting a chance - Aberdeen?? Who is getting a chance there? St Johnstone, nope. Motherwell have stated it's part of their plan which is great. Rangers, nope.

I totally agree we have tons of talented kids in this country but opportunities are now the exception not the rule. I hope the big guy McKay can bang some heads and open up the paths to first teams around the country. I am a massive advocate of this as my country needs it!!!

However this thread started with me simply reflecting on my team starting only one Scot in the starting XI and merely hoping this was not a trend and just a blip - an entirely reasonable reflection.

The PY system does produce talent but for me a lot of the kids coming through lack the competitive edge, the mental toughness, will to win and the wee bit devil you need to get to the next stage. Not sure the PY friendlies then U20 kickabouts are getting them ready. The PY is all too "nice" for me. Paterson has these attributes but then he came through Club football.

orchardmaroon

The PY system does produce talent but for me a lot of the kids coming through lack the competitive edge, the mental toughness, will to win and the wee bit devil you need to get to the next stage. Not sure the PY friendlies then U20 kickabouts are getting them ready. The PY is all too "nice" for me. Paterson has these attributes but then he came through Club football.

Agree with some of that but PY football is producing talent without doubt. The 20's games I have seen are generally not kick abouts but do not have experienced players to play against. The loan system is key to bringing the edge required I think. Calum is a fantastic talent but we have all seen some of his technical deficiencies also - happy medium required!

We_are_the_Hearts

Agree with some of that but PY football is producing talent without doubt. The 20's games I have seen are generally not kick abouts but do not have experienced players to play against. The loan system is key to bringing the edge required I think. Calum is a fantastic talent but we have all seen some of his technical deficiencies also - happy medium required!

Can't disagree with that.

Think the main thing is the club have a good structure in place and will continue to develop players for the 1st team, only then will we now if the Academy is a success.  I hope MacKay gets the backing from all the clubs as I think that has been the issue previously, some bought in some didnt, annoying as the Performance Schools program is a great idea but clubs need an input into what thier players are being taught...are we developing players for systems or purley working on making the player better and leave the rest to the clubs.

Pushing these young kids into 20's football is good but there probably needs to be more older/ experienced players in that setup as well so the kids can learn from them....its ok someone telling you what will happen, you need to experience and learn and also have someone there to help you through it...

The 2020 Euros is why the performance program was introduced, we are still 3 years away from that and that is when it needs to be judged, have we produced players who have made it to 1st team\international team as that is what will define the success.

Poor thing is that both sides of the Old Fimr have their own schools, so no joined up planning again...

Lets hope the future is as bright we all want it to be....and I am sure that the single Scot was a blip, and over the next couple of years you will see the Academy bearing fruit....

Maybe Rangers will try to keep him for a while longer and get him into the first team

Not going on the reports i have heard m8 they are more less trying to put him out to the highest bidder which is why there is a list of other big clubs after him , Celtic done much of the same with there wonder kid however he has now got decent agent JC = KEYS SPORTS MANAGEMENT to look after him now and what happens with him .

Not going on the reports i have heard m8 they are more less trying to put him out to the highest bidder which is why there is a list of other big clubs after him , Celtic done much of the same with there wonder kid however he has now got decent agent JC = KEYS SPORTS MANAGEMENT to look after him now and what happens with him .

Ah fair enough

Hopefully he goes somewhere where he has a chance of playing - can only be good for Scottish football...

And a bonus is that he will be leaving rangers - this will no doubt annoy their fans too!

Do you think it will happen this summer?

Ah fair enough

Hopefully he goes somewhere where he has a chance of playing - can only be good for Scottish football...

And a bonus is that he will be leaving rangers - this will no doubt annoy their fans too!

Do you think it will happen this summer?

it's a big possibility m8 with a host of big club scouts raving about him and him being down at Chelsea and a few other big clubs after him .  i hope he goes somewhere were he will get a chance as well but in this day and age money talks sadly .

We_are_the_Hearts

it's a big possibility m8 with a host of big club scouts raving about him and him being down at Chelsea and a few other big clubs after him .  i hope he goes somewhere were he will get a chance as well but in this day and age money talks sadly .

I heard Southampton were the favourites and his parents had been down to look at houses. That was a month ago though.

the boy gilmour has been the highest profile player in any academy year since he was 10 years old and it has never stopped since, only grown and there are differing opinions of "how good he really is". i actually do not care but wish him the best as i do for all young scottish players irrespective of the club they play, time we seen scottish teams populated by our academy players instead of journeymen from all over the place. 

hearts 16s & 17s are interesting as if you go through them they are all unique in how they compare to each other. none of them are alike in position or styles. this really opens the door for a number of them to progress since there is not 3 wide men for 1 position as an example. 

it would be good to know who will sign as mcdonald and sandison have said they will on twitter but the rest nothing has been confirmed, wonder when we will know about everyone. certainly the rumours about hamilton and leonard to celtic/rangers i hope they can be "put to bed" as we need to keep the group together as they compliment each other

I heard Southampton were the favourites and his parents had been down to look at houses. That was a month ago though.

Not 100% sure m8 although i did hear his father was impressed with what happened when he was down at Chelsea last week .

We_are_the_Hearts

Not 100% sure m8 although i did hear his father was impressed with what happened when he was down at Chelsea last week .

Be interesting to see where he ends up then mate. The few times I have watched him he is a tidy player and good at making space for himself but would have liked to have seen more end product. His upper body strength will need work as well so a move down South now would be beneficial

jamboinglasgow

Would be a good move if he wants a club who will play him sooner (provided that he progresses.)

pattythejambo

the boy gilmour has been the highest profile player in any academy year since he was 10 years old and it has never stopped since, only grown and there are differing opinions of "how good he really is". i actually do not care but wish him the best as i do for all young scottish players irrespective of the club they play, time we seen scottish teams populated by our academy players instead of journeymen from all over the place.

hearts 16s & 17s are interesting as if you go through them they are all unique in how they compare to each other. none of them are alike in position or styles. this really opens the door for a number of them to progress since there is not 3 wide men for 1 position as an example.

it would be good to know who will sign as mcdonald and sandison have said they will on twitter but the rest nothing has been confirmed, wonder when we will know about everyone. certainly the rumours about hamilton and leonard to celtic/rangers i hope they can be "put to bed" as we need to keep the group together as they compliment each other

Celtic defenitly have an eye on someone from that sge group as the black New Balance jackets have been st the last 4 or 5 games. As you said they all compliment each other so would be fantastic if they all signed on But silence is deafening! Hope not though.

Be interesting to see where he ends up then mate. The few times I have watched him he is a tidy player and good at making space for himself but would have liked to have seen more end product. His upper body strength will need work as well so a move down South now would be beneficial

It will be m8 ,  really hope the young guy does well . 

centremidjambo

It will be m8 , really hope the young guy does well .

yep, lad looks a superstar with all of the attributes - seen him a few times and great head on small shoulders. Fact he gets all the press coverage shows how keen we are to have a star in Scottish football!

However we have some top talent as well and I am positive about the future - the lad Irving in midfield surely has a fantastic future - see he scored again this week.

Some very young lad from Austin Macphee's academy I think.. Kelbie n Gadja both injured.

Did anybody find out who the trialist goalkeeper was?

Would be a good move if he wants a club who will play him sooner (provided that he progresses.)

Aye Southampton about as good as it gets really.

Disagree to an extent re Chelsea. He'd be hoping for a decent loan move from there which would fo no harm and have him playing high level, maybe even overseas.

jamboinglasgow

Has no one heard who the trialist keeper was or at least whether he was a development trialist or not.

Go a few posts back.

centremidjambo

Aye Southampton about as good as it gets really.

Disagree to an extent re Chelsea. He'd be hoping for a decent loan move from there which would fo no harm and have him playing high level, maybe even overseas.

Real tough one for the kid - seems great on the one hand having so much interest in you and being the top talent at your age but stay or go or where to go and all that talent may never see the light of day!

The Southampton one may be interesting with their track record and a Scotsman in charge. They took the lad Freeman last year who was widely regarded as the best in his age group also down there from Dundee United.

Archived