Unreal the only Englishman at the Euros and he has to **** it up :mad:

Never a pen in a million years...

Good decision by Webb in my book

Chad Sexington

Terrible decision IMO.

If they gave penalties for that in every game they would all finish 10-10.

If he was right then he should have given about 10 penaltys during the game for

the same thing , why that one?

The Old Tolbooth

It was coming, the Poles were getting away with shirt pulling most of the game, and he clearly had a hold of the Austrians shirt and pulled him over. Also on their first half showing the Austrians deserved something out of that.

Terrible decision IMO.

Unless it was Hearts playing the old firm of course, where it would still be 10-0

Was definitely a shirt pull but can't make my mind up whether it warranted giving a penalty. Prob say no but not going to give the ref too many pelters for it

First goal was offside so justice was probably done in the end.

Indeed - no matter what happened, a draw was probably a fair result

Dr. Bapswent

Perfectly legit decision.

And if it means games end up like 10 -10.

Well thats sounds good to me.

Indeed - no matter what happened, a draw was probably a fair result

Yep and 1-1 for me in Euro Predictor game ;)

It would definitely have been a free kick if the Austrian had been doing the shirt pulling. Maybe if more penalties were given then it would stop all the holding in the box.

Terrible decision IMO.

100% correct decision. Until more refs take this action we will continue to have mahem in the box at set pieces. Gary Caldwell is the worst offender in the Scottish game.

WorldChampions1902
I get the feeling it bust yer coupon :rolleyes:

It certainly bust MY coupon as I had a tenner on 1-0 Poland at 6/1 so I'm seriously p****d off.

Within the spirit of the rules there was a relatively minor tug and IF that WAS a pen, then why (as someone else has pointed out) weren't there another dozen spot kicks awarded in the match?

Week after week we see bear hugs by defenders at corners and nowt happens. I hope moving forward, we'll see pens being awarded for ALL such incidents.

:(

It would definitely have been a free kick if the Austrian had been doing the shirt pulling. Maybe if more penalties were given then it would stop all the holding in the box.

Correct. If penalties are given for it then it would soon stop. Never saw the whole match but if there were lots of instances it during the match and Webb only decided to give that one then I'm not sure it's a great decision.

Auld Reekin'

Well, as they say: "you've seen 'em given...". (Mainly for r*ng*rs, right enough, but that's beside the point.) It looked a bit soft, but big Lurchovski had a good hold of the Austrian guy's shirt so he was taking a big risk. One that didn't pay off.

Also, it could have been worse... just be thankful it wasn't a Scottish ref! :eek::hae36::cussing::banghead2::1132::dunce:

The short pull was at the front of the tussle when the ball came in, of course the ref's going to pick it up.

If it happened in a less obvious position then the ref could claim he didn't see it, but if he ignored it then he probably wouldn't would not be officianting again in the comp.

A draw was about right but Austria really need to work on their corners, always the same ball into the same place.

Poland were on the whole pretty poor apart from the goalie whoever he was!

Correct. If penalties are given for it then it would soon stop. Never saw the whole match but if there were lots of instances it during the match and Webb only decided to give that one then I'm not sure it's a great decision.

Thats exactly what happened, it was as if he knew i had money on it !!!!:mad:

Auld Reekin'
a PEN WASN'T GIVEN FOR THIS ONE

2006110801.jpg

Good! :)

Moe Szyslak
The short pull was at the front of the tussle when the ball came in, of course the ref's going to pick it up.

If it happened in a less obvious position then the ref could claim he didn't see it, but if he ignored it then he probably wouldn't would not be officianting again in the comp.

Exactly. A blatant grab of the shirt right under the ref's nose when he had just warned the players yet he gets pelters for giving the 100% correct decision!

Contrary to what some have said you don't get 20 situations like that in a game. Pushing and shoving in a crowd is one thing but if Webb didn't punish something as obvious as that one tonight he would deservedly get sent home.

It was coming, the Poles were getting away with shirt pulling most of the game, and he clearly had a hold of the Austrians shirt and pulled him over. Also on their first half showing the Austrians deserved something out of that.

John, I kinda agree, although it was soft :P BUT,

He obviously made it quite clear what he was looking for when he ordered the retake, the Poles did not take heid and BOOM, the Holy Goalie was picking it out of the old onion bag (to use a Tommy Smyth on ESPN's phrase)

a PEN WASN'T GIVEN FOR THIS ONE

2006110801.jpg

Crikey, there aren't 2 decisions ever the same, these things happen.

Thats the inconsistency that drives us all nuts

Cupar Jambo
I had HT/FT Poland.

Gutted.

Had them doubled with Croatia. Fergie was right, always trying to be the big shot is Mr Webb. Jeff Winter thought after him he was the best says it all. Tube

letsmakesomenoise
Terrible decision IMO.

No they wouldn't. As soon as defenders realised they'd get done for it, they'd stop it

$ilvery_Moon

How can you say that wasn't a penalty? He pulled the guys shirt in the box. You can't do that and expect to get away with it. Definite penalty.

It certainly bust MY coupon as I had a tenner on 1-0 Poland at 6/1 so I'm seriously p****d off.

Within the spirit of the rules there was a relatively minor tug and IF that WAS a pen, then why (as someone else has pointed out) weren't there another dozen spot kicks awarded in the match?

Week after week we see bear hugs by defenders at corners and nowt happens. I hope moving forward, we'll see pens being awarded for ALL such incidents.

:(

so your upset your bet went down on a dodgy penalty decision but surely you would have refused on principal to accept any winnings on an equally dodgy offside decision which provided the Polish goal.Didnt think so!

lost in leith

Anyone else remember what Red Star Belgrade were like defending corners in the Cup Winners Cup game in 1996? We could have had half a dozen pens that night the way they grappled with our players, particularly Dave McPherson :mad:

markletissier

i'm with Webb 100% on this one. Frankly it should be done more often, hopefully after 4 or 5 major incidents it would deter players from shirt pulling and grappling in the box. Does my tits in when free-kicks amount to nothing from a good attacking position and go in favour of a defender when he is just as much at fault as an attacker.

If it's a foul everywhere else on the pitch, why not the box?

Great decision by the referee. GIRUY hholy goalhie. :)

Jam Tarts 1874

Prior to the tournament getting underway UEFA had given a directive to the participating officials to clamp down on shirt-pulling. I would expect to see a few more penalties over the next couple of weeks for the same offence.

It was a foul in the box which would have resulted in a direct free kick if it had happened anywhere else on the park. Ergo it was a penalty.

The fact that players 'foul all the time' in the box reflectes badly on referees who should be given a good kicking until they start penalising them all the time. Stamp the nonsense out !

BervieJambo

Pens like this happen in 4 cases

1) The ref is trying to even up for a howler against the attacking team earlier in the match.

2) The ref is annoyed by a member of the defending team and gives it out of spite.

3) The ref is influenced by the home crowd

4) The attacking team are either one of the OF in a domestic match.

In this case, the first 3 could all have been reasons to give it.

Personally I think it was very soft and would be very annoyed if Hearts/Scotland were denied a win by a decision like that.

Bert Le Clos
Pens like this happen in 5 cases

1) The ref is trying to even up for a howler against the attacking team earlier in the match.

2) The ref is annoyed by a member of the defending team and gives it out of spite.

3) The ref is influenced by the home crowd

4) The attacking team are either one of the OF in a domestic match.

In this case, the first 3 could all have been reasons to give it.

Personally I think it was very soft and would be very annoyed if Hearts/Scotland were denied a win by a decision like that.

5) Shirt pulling is a foul and if a foul takes place in the box a penalty is awarded.

penalties for shirt pulling etc should be given more often.

footballers are pretty simplistic sort of folk; if you penalise them they wont do it again. they'll adapt.

problem is its got to be consistantly carried out & initially taht could end with games having 5 or 6 penalties awarded but it would soon drop off as players adapt and use their skill tactical ability to find other ways to stop forwards.

the refs at euro2008 have been told to clamp down on it & its surprising its taken till this game for a ref to act upon the guidelines given. :107years:

It was an act of monumental stupidity by the Polish defender. The referee stopped play, went over to them and warned them then ordered the kick to be retaken. How much brainwork does it take to work out that he'll be watching for them doing it again when the kick is retaken?

The defender gave Webb no choice but to give the penalty and deseves everything he got.

BervieJambo
5) Shirt pulling is a foul and if a foul takes place in the box a penalty is awarded.

If it were that simple we would, rightly or wrongly, see a lot more penalties awarded.

Moe Szyslak
If it were that simple we would, rightly or wrongly, see a lot more penalties awarded.

It isn't always that simple as the ref's view is often blocked by the crowd of players.

Last night it was blatant and right in Webb's face. If he hadn't awarded the penalty his UEFA bosses would quite rightly have told him to pack his bags.

Great decison by the ref.

See it happen all the time but nothing gets given, well done Webb.

Your right and just before the re-take he warned 2 of polands players for it and they done it again so I think it got to the point where he said '****** it pen'.

Bert Le Clos

It is that simple. Shirt pulling is a foul, and if a defender does it the ref should award a penalty. It happens a lot more when attackers do it and the defending team get a free kick.

If it was correctly penalised consistently, teams would stop doing it.

Corrie Jambo

I was delighted as I had backed the draw but a couple of observations.

1) Shirt pulling normally does not cause any problem to a player. In the picture example, do you honestly think that Jones cannot win that ball. The strips are designed to "give". It does not affect him or most shirt pulls in the least and results in dives from most who get their shirt pulled.

2) In defending the referee - it does seem strange that so few penalties are given from corners and freekicks to the attacking side. I don't have stats but would imagine it would be about 99/100.

Archived