Football's biggest underachievers

Locky

Speaking with a mate about clubs who haven't achieved enough as they maybe should've over the years. Hearts understandably got the ball rolling, despite some cup success in recent years.

Newcastle was our obvious choice for England. Watched by 50,000 every week but no major honours since 1955.

Roma. 8 top 2 finishes since 2000 but only once have they won the title. Only thrice in their history too.

And in Germany 2 came up. Schalke haven't won a title since 1958 but like Hearts haven't had too bad a time in the cups lately. And also Hertha Berlin, the biggest club in Germany's capital yet haven't won a league title since 1931 and have never won the cup.

Who else?

Newcastle, as you mention. Probably one of the biggest.

I would also actually say Arsenal. For all the plaudits Wenger gets, they haven't achieve what they perhaps should have.

Speaking with a mate about clubs who haven't achieved enough as they maybe should've over the years. Hearts understandably got the ball rolling, despite some cup success in recent years.

Newcastle was our obvious choice for England. Watched by 50,000 every week but no major honours since 1955.

Roma. 8 top 2 finishes since 2000 but only once have they won the title. Only thrice in their history too.

And in Germany 2 came up. Schalke haven't won a title since 1958 but like Hearts haven't had too bad a time in the cups lately. And also Hertha Berlin, the biggest club in Germany's capital yet haven't won a league title since 1931 and have never won the cup.

Who else?

They actually won what is now the UEFA cup in 1969. Still a long time ago. I would say Dundee have been underachievers here too.

Torino

Both Sheffield clus in England.

queensferryjambo

Who else?

Newcastle won the UEFA Cup (Fairs Cup) in 1969 but yes 100% agree they really haven't been at the races for decades. 

Man City were always underachievers and considering their players and budget they arguably still are.

Tottenham & Aston Villa definitely on the list as well. 

In Italy Torino were once giants but alas the men in maroon are a shadow of their former glory.

Edit - John Findlay are you reading my mind? :)

P.S. Please fix your message at the bottom of your posts - Hearts have won 8 Scottish Cups now :) 

queensferryjambo

I would say Dundee have been underachievers here too.

Dundee have taken H1b5 place in Scottish Cup crapness - they now hold the record of the longest wait for a club to win it.

Since 1910, since 1910, they've no won the big cup since 1910. 

Hibs - 5th biggest club in Scotland.

No league wins since the 50s

1 SC win in 115 years

Not won a tie in Europe in 30 years (excl the Inter-Tattie)

Now a firmly established lower league outfit.

If we are talking Scottish Cup then the team that has won it the most times after Celtic and Sevco queen's Park are underachieving.

Internationally considering the players they have had over the years Holland only having one European Championship to show for it is an underachievement. 

Newcastle, as you mention. Probably one of the biggest.

I would also actually say Arsenal. For all the plaudits Wenger gets, they haven't achieve what they perhaps should have.

I've got a couple of Arsenal supporting mates that have wanted Wenger out for years.

Hearts Heritage

Dundee have taken H1b5 place in Scottish Cup crapness - they now hold the record of the longest wait for a club to win it.

Since 1910, since 1910, they've no won the big cup since 1910. 

Dundee are 3rd.

Dumbarton & Queen's Park have waited longer.

I've got a couple of Arsenal supporting mates that have wanted Wenger out for years.

I am not a fan, but I agree with them.

No other top European club would tolerate only a couple of cup wins over such a long spell.

Wenger seems to want to put maintaining his reputation for playing tippy tappy stuff before success for Arsenal.

Newcastle won the UEFA Cup (Fairs Cup) in 1969 but yes 100% agree they really haven't been at the races for decades.

Man City were always underachievers and considering their players and budget they arguably still are.

Tottenham & Aston Villa definitely on the list as well.

In Italy Torino were once giants but alas the men in maroon are a shadow of their former glory.

Edit - John Findlay are you reading my mind? :)

P.S. Please fix your message at the bottom of your posts - Hearts have won 8 Scottish Cups now :)

I agree with City even now. Hundreds of millions spent on players in the last 6-7 years with just 4 trophies to show for it.

Genoa could also be classed underachievers in the same sense as Torino. Decent fan base, and the 4th most successful Italian club in terms of titles despite not winning one since 1924.

West Ham. Never won league. Have won a European trophy and the World Cup mind [emoji3]Been a while since FA cup even

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Locky is correct.

The old Fairs Cup is not recognised as a major trophy/honour by UEFA and isn't a forerunner of their UEFA Cup.

queensferryjambo

Locky is correct.

The old Fairs Cup is not recognised as a major trophy/honour by UEFA and isn't a forerunner of their UEFA Cup.

Funny it says on the UEFA website - 'This forerunner to the UEFA Cup, the Inter-Cities Fairs Cup, was founded on 18 April 1955, two weeks after the founding of the European Champion Clubs' Cup.' 

http://www.uefa.com/uefaeuropaleague/history/index.html

Funny it says on the UEFA website - 'This forerunner to the UEFA Cup, the Inter-Cities Fairs Cup, was founded on 18 April 1955, two weeks after the founding of the European Champion Clubs' Cup.' 

http://www.uefa.com/uefaeuropaleague/history/index.html

The Fairs Cup had nothing to do with UEFA. It wasn't their competition and they don't recognise the results or winners. When it was abolished UEFA stepped in with their Cup in 1971/72.

However, FIFA do recognise it as a "major" so there is a conflict there.

Not between us though, qfj. :D

queensferryjambo

The Fairs Cup had nothing to do with UEFA. It wasn't their competition and they don't recognise the results or winners. When it was abolished UEFA stepped in with their Cup in 1971/72.

However, FIFA do recognise it as a "major" so there is a conflict there.

Not between us though, qfj. :D

Actually reading my post back it seems a bit blunt and I didn't want it to sound that way - should have put a  :tt2: at the end.

Interesting stuff though martoon  :2thumbsup:

Actually reading my post back it seems a bit blunt and I didn't want it to sound that way - should have put a  :tt2: at the end.

Interesting stuff though martoon  :2thumbsup:

?

Any number of English clubs with huge supports which win nothing, these days at least. Leeds Utd, Sunderland, Middlesbrough, Birmingham, Wolves, Newcastle, to name a few.

If the arse-cheeks ever get to the promised land same will be true for them.

queensferryjambo

Dundee are 3rd.

Oh ok.

I heard it on Off the Ball when they were having a laugh about not all teams happy with Hibs cup win (an understatement if you are a Hearts fan :) )

Bring Back Paulo Sergio

Could well be Man Utd the next one.

A shambles since Ferguson left

Just shows that the manager is the most important position in football.

England

Newcastle United

Leeds United

Off the top of my head.

For Leeds to be underachievers they'd need to be achievers surely?

Internationally considering the players they have had over the years Holland only having one European Championship to show for it is an underachievement.

They love an argument with each other though! England are the real underachievers internationally - outside of games they've played at Wembley, they've made one semi-final.

We're as big as any, for the 3rd biggest and basically 3rd most successful team in Scotland to only have won the relatively few trophies we have is pretty abysmal.

Hibs - 5th biggest club in Scotland.

No league wins since the 50s

1 SC win in 115 years

Not won a tie in Europe in 30 years (excl the Inter-Tattie)

Now a firmly established lower league outfit.

Brilliant

West Ham. Never won league. Have won a European trophy and the World Cup mind [emoji3]Been a while since FA cup even

I see West Ham as a bang average EPL side tbh, sometimes go down, sometimes finish reasonably high up but just a bit of a nothing mid table side for the majority.

Tennant's  6's

Valentin. They may have had success at the turn of the century, but since then they've been a shambles on and off the park, like Atleti prior to Simeone

I see West Ham as a bang average EPL side tbh, sometimes go down, sometimes finish reasonably high up but just a bit of a nothing mid table side for the majority.

They're one of those teams, or were anyway that once you'd been to see em at Upton Park you were hooked. I sometimes wish I didn't support em, heaven knows I do but what can you do?

Nucky Thompson

Defo Newcastle and Leeds with the support they carry. I would say they were bigger clubs than Chelsea

However they have over-achieved massively in producing players.

It's Newcastle for me.  My heart bleeds for my Newcastle supporting mate.

Hibs are interesting though.  When did they last seriously challenge for the league.  1964?

Our record isn't great but we have pushed a few times in recent years.

Dundee are 3rd.

Dundee are 3rd.

As have Renton and Vale of Leven. 

Archived