Tziolis signs (updated)

DB-14

Thought Police

Greek international midfielder Alexandros Tziolis will join Hearts before the transfer window closes, the Evening News can reveal. The 31-year-old is a free agent after agreeing to terminate his contract at PAOK Salonika. He is due to sign a short-term deal at Tynecastle and become head coach Ian Cathro's seventh signing this month. Tziolis is a current member of Greece's international squad and holds 62 caps. He represented his country at the 2010 World Cup and 2008 European Championship and was also part of their 2014 World Cup squad. He carries an impressive CV having played for clubs including Panathinaikos, Werder Bremen, Racing Santander, Monaco and PAOK. His signing represents a major coup for Cathro as he reinforces the Hearts squad for the second half of the season. He recruited his sixth new player yesterday with the arrival of Moha El Ouriachi Choulay on loan from Stoke City. The 21-year-old Moroccan winger agreed a move to Tynecastle until the summer. He is a Morocco Under-23 internationalist and joins Aaron Hughes, Lennard Sowah, Malaury Martin, Andraz Struna and Dylan Bikey as Hearts' new arrivals so far this month. Known as Choulay, the player began his career in Spain with Espanyol before joining Barcelona. He won the UEFA Youth League in 2014 but moved to England the following year. Having been unable to break into Stoke's first team, he spent three months on loan at Shrewsbury Town earlier this season. He joins Hearts eager to gain experience of top-flight football. Cathro is not finished in the transfer market and could add two more new faces in addition to Tziolis before the January window closes on Tuesday night. The Anorthosis Famagusta forward Esmael Goncalves is expected in Edinburgh in the next 48 hours to sign for Hearts. He scored twice for the Cypriot club in Saturday's 4-1 win at Ermis before throwing his shirt to supporters in a final farewell gesture. Afterwards, he told local media: "The first time I left for the money. Now I go only for the football." Hearts and Anorthosis officials have discussed a transfer fee of ?175,000 for the player, whose contract in Famagusta runs until summer 2018.

Hearts to sign Greek international midfielder Alexandros Tziolis:

edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football? #HMFC #Greece #Live

kingantti1874

Tziolis + Goncalves would round off what looks to be a great bunch of signings!

And Berra and McGinn? Am I being greedy?

One thing you can say about Cathro and Macphee they certainly attract players. My feeling is that these signings we've completed are guys who are aware of the coaching on offer and are keen to be part of it. Obviously playing for the Famous is a major part of the attraction.

If this actually happens it's probably the biggest signing we've since his compatriot Takis.(who id imagine we can probably thank for putting in a good word)

Could be curtains for Kitchen, good if we got some cash in for him.

I can see Kitchen going back to the MLS on a free

I can see Kitchen going back to the MLS on a free

Would hope not given Derby County were interested only a few weeks ago...

Would hope not given Derby County were interested only a few weeks ago...

Paper talk i cant honestly see how any English Championship side would be interested.

Cathro and McPhee have clearly identified weaknesses and gone about addressing them quickly. Kitchen is far too lightweight for the SPL. This guy looks hard as nails and exactly what we need in DM.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Read a reference to him on another thread. Checked him out online (not in a creepy, thorough, obsessed, greenginger.nut kind of way) and he would appear to be a cracking player.

Good times.

Imagune being a .netter looking in like

:muggy:

:rofl:

Unbelievable

Welcome aboard.

If this is actually genuine, then it could be an incredible transfer window, at least based on pedigree.

A Slovenian International, a N.Ireland international, a Greek International, a guy who's banged in the goals in the Scottish Premiership and the Cypriot League plus Martin, Sowah, Bikey and Choulay, this is some window. I wonder how many we'll be able to keep hold of.

Oh and obviously Cathros style does does not suit the current squad. We'll only get better. **** me. One happy happy clappper right here. :)

See he came on as a sub in extra time of the 2009 UEFA cup final in same Werder Bremen team as Mesut Ozil. Played in Spain, Italy, Germany, France, Greece, Cyprus and Turkey

Think we can definitely call this one a coup

I'm wet with this news. He is a fantastic player and wil compliment Martin perfectly in my opinion. Cathro really has made a statement on the current squad he inherited. All low risk and with Goncalves set to sign on Monday it's all perfectly timed for the tramps cup game. This guy is quality folks

This shows the board have a belief and vision to support Ian cathro and his plans for our team.

Im happy, i believe in what we're aiming for.

Goncalves is a gimme. Berra would be....

:sweeet:

The one thing about all this is that Cathro will need to start getting results. The "He's dealing with Robbie's shite" excuse won't really cut it.

Lucille's Thirsty

And Berra and McGinn? Am I being greedy?

:lol:

I think you're being quite reasonable mate.

I only care if they are grafters, fighters and winners. It is all great getting all these players in but fancy names mean **** all, we have had many the past 12 years.

I'm losing count of how many have been signed! It must be the most (both quantity and quality [relative to existing]) any club have signed in a January window. It's all rather exciting and a big statement of intent by the club! Could be deemed a bit of a gamble, but as there are no long term contracts involved it's very low risk.

See he came on as a sub in extra time of the 2009 UEFA cup final in same Werder Bremem team as Mesut Ozil. Played in Spain, Italy, Germany, France, Greece, Cyprus and Turkey

Think we can definitely call this one a coup

Won the German cup with Werder as well

Archived