UK Comedy

dicksojo

Just wondering if there are any good comedy shows on tv at the moment that may have passed me by? I might be in a bit of a nostalgic mood but I'm thinking of some of the best comedy shows over the last 20 years such as Spaced, Father Ted, Mighty Boosh etc and I don't think I have seen anything recently which comes close to their quality.

Comedies such as My Family, Outnumbered, Miranda and Mrs Browns Boys don't really do anything for me.

Outnumbered was good at the beginning, but the kids antics and comments contributed to a lot of the comedy. Not the same now they are grown up.

rudi must stay

Just wondering if there are any good comedy shows on tv at the moment that may have passed me by? I might be in a bit of a nostalgic mood but I'm thinking of some of the best comedy shows over the last 20 years such as Spaced, Father Ted, Mighty Boosh etc and I don't think I have seen anything recently which comes close to their quality.

Comedies such as My Family, Outnumbered, Miranda and Mrs Browns Boys don't really do anything for me.

Really like Toast of London, very obscure. Friday Night Dinner is excellent too

Really like Toast of London, very obscure. Friday Night Dinner is excellent too

Will give them both a try. I have heard of Toast of London before, think it's written by Arthur Matthews.

...a bit disco

Quite liked Cuckoo.

In a mad sort of way.

...a bit disco

Russell Howard is a cockwomble.

:lol:

True.

But ironic!

Siblings first series was funny although never saw the second series.

Catastrophe was really good.

I also liked London Irish as well though didn't seem to get much applause and got binned after one series.

House Of Fools, especially the second series has moments of true genius.

Fleabag was very good but not a conventional comedy.

Carl Fredrickson

A couple of older ones that you may have missed - Black Books and Early Doors. 

I love them both - especially ED.

I was fairly impressed with Revolting, on BBC 2, last week. Satirical sketch show. Next one is tomorrow at 10pm.

House Of Fools, especially the second series has moments of true genius.

Fleabag was very good but not a conventional comedy.

Agree about Fleabag. Great programme. Hope there's more.

Henry. Henry.

A couple of older ones that you may have missed - Black Books and Early Doors.

I love them both - especially ED.

Recently got into Early Doors thanks to it being on at daft o'clock on UK Gold. It's superb !

Just started watching Man Down and it seems promising. Not UK but also a few series in to It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia and it is excellent.

ive been watching Dave Gorman's Modern life is Goodish on Dave. although they are showing repeats just now, its still one of the funniest programmes on tv at the moment

Not UK but also a few series in to It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia and it is excellent.

Season 12 has just started.

:pleasing:

...a bit disco

Does a massive disservice to cockwombles.

To be fair, it was Russell Howard who I first heard using the term cockwomble before I introduced it to JKB.

A big thumbs up to the Howard fellae for that alone, surely?

To be fair, it was Russell Howard who I first heard using the term cockwomble before I introduced it to JKB.

A big thumbs up to the Howard fellae for that alone, surely?

Nah. He is still a dick, and an unfunny one at that.

The recent Aberdeen game has given me more laughs, and been more entertaining, than anything he has done.

Russell Howard is a cockwomble.

:spoton:

"Do you remember the Eighties? Wasn't is just mad?"

No Russel...your audience were all born in the 90's so they have no fecking clue about the 80's, you twat.

rudi must stay

Thanks for the replies chaps. Will give some of these a bash.

Cheers

Josh starring Josh Widecombe is worth watching as well

Kevin Bridges - dreadfully unfunny in a grating ned way with the most awful accent to boot.

Frankie Boyle too - complete assclown and that posh, annoying, punchable Jimmy Carr taxdodger whilst Im at it.

Kevin Bridges - dreadfully unfunny in a grating ned way with the most awful accent to boot.

Frankie Boyle too - complete assclown and that posh, annoying, punchable Jimmy Carr taxdodger whilst Im at it.

Spot on 

Mups like Russell Howard get shown up on shows like 8 out of 10 cats does countdown or mock the week when amongst quick witted and just funnier comedians.

Mind you, there's other ones on those shows too that get shown up when they appear.

Especially that Irish comedian Aisling Bea(correct spelling?) unfunny as ****. How they make it I don't know? Think it's just gift of the gab sometimes rather than being actually funny.

Same as that other twat with the beard who thinks it's funny playing a keyboard as he attempts wee jokes and quips. Brutal.

rudi must stay

Mups like Russell Howard get shown up on shows like 8 out of 10 cats does countdown or mock the week when amongst quick witted and just funnier comedians.

Mind you, there's other ones on those shows too that get shown up when they appear.

Especially that Irish comedian Aisling Bea(correct spelling?) unfunny as ****. How they make it I don't know? Think it's just gift of the gab sometimes rather than being actually funny.

Same as that other twat with the beard who thinks it's funny playing a keyboard as he attempts wee jokes and quips. Brutal.

Or the woman who puts masks on people and pretends they're her puppet. Creepy

Does that dreadful black 'comedienne' still appear on Mock The Week?

Or the woman who puts masks on people and pretends they're her puppet. Creepy

Nina Conte?

To be fair, she can be funny sometimes.

chester copperpot

The problem with comedy is that people's taste in it is so diverse. It doesn't mean one is shite or one is good. It all depends on individual taste.

Some suggestions make me cringe whereas I am sure that my suggestions will put others off too.

I don't think you can go wrong with Peter Kaye and Phoenix Nights. I don't really watch any of the current stuff. Most of the stuff I like the now I would have knocked my head in 10yrs ago if I had saw myself watching some of the stuff. The Big Bang Theory springs to mind.

I guess my taste in comedy as in music has mellowed over the years as stuff I quite like now I would have turned my nose up at 10/15yrs ago.

Not very helpful but there you go!

Yeah, I found Kevin Bridges funny about 5 years ago. Saw some of his latest show on TV the other night and turned it off after 5 minutes. Dreadful.

i think so, not seen it for a bit.

If you're talking about Gina Yashere, no she doesnt and she hasnt been on for a good few years.

Female comedians are just not funny. Sarah Milligan gtf

She's not very good but there's a few decent ones. Katharine Ryan and  Zoe Lyons are two current ones who I find particularly good.

Rabbits on about not getting a man.

Take a look in the mirror ya mocket boot.

Apart from being married to fellow comedian, Gary Delaney.

To follow from my post above, the second episode of Revolting was very decent again. Hope they can keep it up.

Female comedians are just not funny. Sarah Milligan gtf

I went to a show last year with several comedians.

There were three female ones (all shit). Their acts and jokes were almost a carbon copy of each other. 'My ex is a dickhead, and he is shit in bed'.

I went to a show last year with several comedians.

There were three female ones (all shit). Their acts and jokes were almost a carbon copy of each other. 'My ex is a dickhead, and he is shit in bed'.

My ex girlfriends are all comedians?

I am just amazed that Lenny Henry's career has lasted so long.

Saw a recent documentary on him which was decent. He was quite a sensation at the time and I will never hear a word said against Tiswas.

Now does theatre and is highly rated,by all accounts.

I wouldn't pay to watch him live though, I'll admitm

Saw a recent documentary on him which was decent. He was quite a sensation at the time and I will never hear a word said against Tiswas.

Now does theatre and is highly rated,by all accounts.

I wouldn't pay to watch him live though, I'll admitm

Not seen him in theatre, but yes, he is suppose to be very good.

I was merely talking about post TISWAS comedy, where his act was pretty much making a high pitched squak or squeaking noise.

Not seen him in theatre, but yes, he is suppose to be very good.

I was merely talking about post TISWAS comedy, where his act was pretty much making a high pitched squak or squeaking noise.

Yes, very poor. He appears to be quite political so could have made more of that imo.

Can't agree that female comedians are rubbish but as has already been said, it's all about personal taste. I think Katherine Ryan is brilliant, but that Gina Yashere is beyond awful. I can't stand her. However even she is surpassed for awfulness by Luisa Omielan. The darling of The Guardian reading, right on types,I saw her at the fringe a couple of years ago and couldn't believe how anyone could find her funny (although my daughters did). Her act was basically swearing and talking (shouting) about sex; as blunt as a sledgehammer and about as enjoyable as being hit by one. Lots of anti-men stuff, which can be very funny when done properly. Unfortunately she didn't and I found myself thinking that I was watching a female version of Chubby Brown; offensive, crude and boorish. If a bloke had been making those sort of comments about a woman he would have been booed off the stage. Regrettably, the shrieking harpies in the audience thought this was comedy gold.

As I say it's all about taste and I can't understand why one of the JKBers doesn't like Bill Bailey for instance . The best for me is Peter Kay closely followed by Rich Hall. He is a bloody genius.

Can't agree that female comedians are rubbish but as has already been said, it's all about personal taste. I think Katherine Ryan is brilliant, but that Gina Yashere is beyond awful. I can't stand her. However even she is surpassed for awfulness by Luisa Omielan. The darling of The Guardian reading, right on types,I saw her at the fringe a couple of years ago and couldn't believe how anyone could find her funny (although my daughters did). Her act was basically swearing and talking (shouting) about sex; as blunt as a sledgehammer and about as enjoyable as being hit by one. Lots of anti-men stuff, which can be very funny when done properly. Unfortunately she didn't and I found myself thinking that I was watching a female version of Chubby Brown; offensive, crude and boorish. If a bloke had been making those sort of comments about a woman he would have been booed off the stage. Regrettably, the shrieking harpies in the audience thought this was comedy gold.

As I say it's all about taste and I can't understand why one of the JKBers doesn't like Bill Bailey for instance . The best for me is Peter Kay closely followed by Rich Hall. He is a bloody genius.

Agree on Bill Bailey. His shows are funny and the music angle is always clever. Also no swearing and ok for kids.

As for Ryan well she's the exception that proves the rule.

Archived