War Medals

Solid Snake

Inherited a bunch of war medals. How might one get these valued and sold?

v9N2ka6.jpg

Belonged to Pte William Tate of the Gordon Highlanders (great great grandfather I believe). I have no use for them and need the cash.

Interesting set of medals, and quite an assortment of Regimental Cap badges, no idea about value, I would suspect condition would be a factor in value though, 

If they are all your great grandfathers he was certainly a career soldier with at least 30 years service. I don't know much about values but the First World War service medals aren't worth much due to the sheer quantity of them handed out. The Victorian campaign medals would probably fetch more.

I don't think I could sell them though, I still have my grandad's medal tucked away in a drawer. Get them out rarely but like the fact I've been entrusted with them x

Shanks said no

If they are your Great Grandfathers then you really should hold on to them. I have my both Grandfathers and would never part with them. Are you sure about the Tate spelling?

I did have about 3 medals from a distant non blood relative, around turn of century, sold them at an auction for couple of hundred.

If they are your Great Grandfathers then you really should hold on to them. I have my both Grandfathers and would never part with them. Are you sure about the Tate spelling?

I did have about 3 medals from a distant non blood relative, around turn of century, sold them at an auction for couple of hundred.

Tait I meant.

After a bit research it turns out he is listed on the Bonhill War Memorial in Dumbarton.

The Egypt medals are dated 1884. Must be worth a few bob surely.

I just think they would be better off in the hands of someone else. They will just sit in my attic otherwise.

Sadly, the medals won't be worth much in a financial sense.  Their true worth is in the sentimental value.

There was a Private William Tait of the Argyle and Sutherland Highlanders (not the Gordons) who was killed in January 1918, at the age of 32.  I notice there is some Argyle's stuff in your picture, so that might be him.  He was born in Dunoon.

My advice is to do whatever you can to keep them in the family.  They're irreplaceable, so once they're gone, they're gone.

Good luck.

Edit:  The soldier I'm referring to is buried in Manchester Southern Cemetery

Please don't sell them, as in years to come you'll regret it.

They are part of your family's history, a history which helped to shape your family.

What I would do is find out as much as I could about the stories behind the medals, how your G.G. Grandfather was awarded them, record that information and pass it down.

There is military shop just of cannon gate. Can't remember the street name but I pass it all the time if you pm the medals I will ask them as they will know the value.

:thumbsup:

Sadly, the medals won't be worth much in a financial sense. Their true worth is in the sentimental value.

There was a Private William Tait of the Argyle and Sutherland Highlanders (not the Gordons) who was killed in January 1918, at the age of 32. I notice there is some Argyle's stuff in your picture, so that might be him. He was born in Dunoon.

My advice is to do whatever you can to keep them in the family. They're irreplaceable, so once they're gone, they're gone.

Good luck.

Edit: The soldier I'm referring to is buried in Manchester Southern Cemetery

According to the rim on all the medals it was Gordon Highlanders he part of. Is it possible to be part of both? As you said there is Argyle and Sutherland stuff in there too.

Taken this from another forum:

"I can tell you this for now. An average Egypt and Star pair is anywhere from 400 - 600 US, 350 - 480 GBP and the rest depends on the clasp combinations. Your Egypt medal is from the 1884-85 campaign, and the Kirbekan clasp was always issued with the 1884-85 clasp. Comparable 1/Gordons medal without the 1884 Star sold at auction for 360 pounds in 2006.

The WWI Trio on its own, even to an 'Old Contemptibles' group like the 1st Gordons, can be around 300 - 400 US or higher, or around 245 - 300 GBP.

Now, if the two are linked by family (or the very unusual circumstance that all five belong to the same W. Tait, twenty years apart with no long service medal), again, the value will increase."

If they're worth that much, I'd sell them to be honest. Did you know they existed before you got them? Swap them for beer tokens!!

As an ex forces chap I'd sell a kidney before I sold military medals.

Please dont do it.

That's the way I feel too, but who knows what the OP's financial situation is?

Maybe he's already sold a kidney!  :wink:

If they're worth that much, I'd sell them to be honest. Did you know they existed before you got them? Swap them for beer tokens!!

Feckin mercenary.

Psychedelicropcircle

You'll regret selling these, these took along time to earn and no doubt a little time to squander the proceeds.

450 quid? You're willing to part with the sentimental value for 450 quid? I'll not say what i truely think as it'll get me banned but what a kick in the teeth that is to your great grandfather.

450 quid? You're willing to part with the sentimental value for 450 quid? I'll not say what i truely think as it'll get me banned but what a kick in the teeth that is to your great grandfather.

You do get that not everyone is sentimental? I'd sell them too if they were mine, fwiw.

If I never earnt it I really don't want it. Including medals, jewellery and money ect. If I ever do inherit anything then it will be getting put into a savings account for the laddie.

Strange post. Who said I was willing to part with them for ?450?

Going by advice I've received elsewhere they could be worth much more than that.

Also, I don't know the guy. I never heard of him until a few days ago. The medals will literally just sit in my attic for the next however many years. They would be better of in a collectors hands.

Also, I don't know the guy. I never heard of him until a few days ago. The medals will literally just sit in my attic for the next however many years. They would be better of in a collectors hands.

I agree, if they were my Dad's or Grandads them I'd maybe more inclined to keep them, but, as I said before, if you never even knew about them and never new the relation who won them, I'm sure you'd be better with cash and a collector with the medals, imo.

• 4 weeks later...

Sadly, the medals won't be worth much in a financial sense.  Their true worth is in the sentimental value.

There was a Private William Tait of the Argyle and Sutherland Highlanders (not the Gordons) who was killed in January 1918, at the age of 32.  I notice there is some Argyle's stuff in your picture, so that might be him.  He was born in Dunoon.

My advice is to do whatever you can to keep them in the family.  They're irreplaceable, so once they're gone, they're gone.

Good luck.

Edit:  The soldier I'm referring to is buried in Manchester Southern Cemetery

My Grandfather on my dad's side was an argyll and Sunderland highlander in ww1. Private Robert findlay. Was at paashendale in 1917. I don't have his medals. Have two of my own. South Atlantic medal for the Falklands in 1982 and general service gulf for two deployments out there between 1987 and 1989. These will be handed down to myou oldest child my daughter on my death and I hope she then passes on to her eldest daughter an so forth.

S

Say What Again

There is military shop just of cannon gate. Can't remember the street name but I pass it all the time if you pm the medals I will ask them as they will know the value.

:thumbsup:

Scottish Regiment Shop.

It's on Jeffrey Street :thumb:

Jambof3tornado

My Grandfather on my dad's side was an argyll and Sunderland highlander in ww1. Private Robert findlay. Was at paashendale in 1917. I don't have his medals. Have two of my own. South Atlantic medal for the Falklands in 1982 and general service gulf for two deployments out there between 1987 and 1989. These will be handed down to myou oldest child my daughter on my death and I hope she then passes on to her eldest daughter an so forth.

S

My son will get my 5 medals when I go.

If he then sells them I'll boot his arse!

Samuel Camazzola

Anybody know how to get in touch with the op ?

Park in a residential space in Leith or confess to having a Greggs. He'll appear to vent his Fury or call you a scaff.

Archived