Gudjon from a Stoke fan...

Stokie

Afternoon Jambos.

We hear on our forum http://oatcakefanzine.proboards27.com/index.cgi?board=Potters that Mr G is possibly on his way to Tynecastle. Let's just say you'll get 'a character'- but maybe you've had enough of them in recent years?

Our perspective and some facts:

Mr G (as he asked us to call him) had teams that occasionally played very, very good passing football but occasionally played absolute ***** too.

He had a very strange idea that 3-5-2 would work in every game, no matter what the score was. After the Stoke crowd chanted 4-4-2 at him for a couple of weeks, he changed it a bit and we looked a bit better.

We rarely looked up for a local derby with Port Vale (RIP) when he was in charge.

He brought in a couple of immense players- namely Iceland midfielder Brynjar Gunnarsson (now at Reading), Belarus captain Sergei Shtaniuk from Dynamo Minsk and Peter Hoekstra, formerly of Ajax.

When he got us promoted, (2001-2) we were by and large lucky that season and pretty unconvincing for the most part- but we beat Cardiff away in the play off semi's which is fondly remembered as one of our best performances in recent years.

He has a history of falling out with Chairmen- he was sacked from us for reasons which have not become fully clear yet, the rumour was though that he HAD to go.

After his sacking he held an impromptu address to his fans in the car park of the stadium. On a loud hailer he declared 'the chairman is an arsehole'

He is a recovering alcoholic.

Apparently he has 9 kids by 3 different wives and three boys are pro football players, Bjarni Gudjonsson (Stoke, Bochum, Genk, Plymouth Coventry), Toddy Gudjonsson (Bochum, Genk, Stoke) and Joey (Leicester, Burnley, Wolves)

A rumour followed him from Iceland to Stoke that unless his team upped their performance after half time, he'd go round their houses and shag their wives! Dunno how the game finished though....

He won us our first trophy since 1972, the Auto Windscreens Shield (wow!) by beating Bristol City 2-1 at Wembley in front of 75,000.

His Stoke team also lost 8-0 at home to Liverpool in the Carling Cup. We did have something like 19 goal attempts though...(groan)

I personally like him and hope he does well for you. Very funny character and very down to Earth- but beware speaking his mind- mad Vlad doesn't seem the forgiving type.

Yours in Fitba'

Stokie

PS Ricardo Fuller is playing the football of his life for us right now!

Say What Again
After his sacking he held an impromptu address to his fans in the car park of the stadium. On a loud hailer he declared 'the chairman is an arsehole'

Tynecastle is the right place for him then.

Thanks for the info Stokie and good luck in the Premiership.

Cut The Crap

Worth appointing for that alone.

Get him in, Vlad!

Cambo_Jambo

Cheers mate, just what we need another bloody heid the baw at Hearts. Should be an interesting season if he comes.

p.s. What sort of money did he have to work with and did he appear to get the respect of the players?

Commander Harris

cheers for taking the time to post that for us. It looks like it's far from a done deal but good to have some background on him anyway. Sounds a very interesting character :D

rudi must stay
Afternoon Jambos.

We hear on our forum http://oatcakefanzine.proboards27.com/index.cgi?board=Potters that Mr G is possibly on his way to Tynecastle. Let's just say you'll get 'a character'- but maybe you've had enough of them in recent years?

Mr G (as he asked us to call him) had teams that occasionally played very, very good passing football but occasionally played absolute ***** too.

He had a very strange idea that 3-5-2 would work in every game, no matter what the score was. After the Stoke crowd chanted 4-4-2 at him for a couple of weeks, he changed it a bit and we looked a bit better.

We rarely looked up for a local derby with Port Vale (RIP) when he was in charge.

He brought in a couple of immense players- namely Iceland midfielder Brynjar Gunnarsson (now at Reading), Belarus captain Sergei Shtaniuk from Dynamo Minsk and Peter Hoekstra, formerly of Ajax.

When he got us promoted, (2001-2) we were by and large lucky that season and pretty unconvincing for the most part- but we beat Cardiff away in the play off semi's which is fondly remembered as one of our best performances in recent years.

He has a history of falling out with Chairmen- he was sacked from us for reasons which have not become fully clear yet, the rumour was though that he HAD to go.

Apparently he has 9 kids by 3 different wives and three boys are pro football players, Bjarni Gudjonsson (Stoke, Bochum, Genk, Plymouth Coventry), Toddy Gudjonsson (Bochum, Genk, Stoke) and Joey (Leicester, Burnley, Wolves)

A rumour followed him from Iceland to Stoke that unless his team upped their performance after half time, he'd go round their houses and shag their wives! Dunno how the game finished though....

He won us our first trophy since 1972, the Auto Windscreens Shield (wow!) by beating Bristol City 2-1 at Wembley in front of 75,000.

His Stoke team also lost 8-0 at home to Liverpool in the Carling Cup. We did have something like 19 goal attempts though...(groan)

I personally like him and hope he does well for you. Very funny character and very down to Earth- but beware speaking his mind- mad Vlad doesn't seem the forgiving type.

Yours in Fitba'

Stokie

that's brilliant! He sounds like just the type of manager we need :rolleyes:

Cheers mate, just what we need another bloody heid the baw at Hearts. Should be an interesting season if he comes.

p.s. What sort of money did he have to work with and did he appear to get the respect of the players?

Hi there

He broke our transfer record by signing Gunnarsson for ?600k- the most he spent.

Shtaniuk was free, Hoekstra was free, got in some good foreign lads on the cheap. Also signed Peter Handyside from Grimsby who made a great start but was later made to look a chump in the Championship- liked a pint or two I understand but thats what being from Dumfries does to you I guess!

Players liked him- very much a players manager. But sometimes over relied on the ability to try and get silky play whilst being bullied in the physical cut and thrust of League 1- prob equivalent to lower half SPL, no offence intended of course.

Only problem was he never addressed payers of different nationalities hanging out in their own cliques- when Pulis took over, the dressing room might as well have had office partition up. I hear this is the case already with your Baltic Boys is it not?

And thanks for the good luck- 4th from bottom will do me! Listen out for Delilah on the TV....

The Old Tolbooth

I'm loving the way your trying to justify an 8-0 gubbing :D

that's brilliant! He sounds like just the type of manager we need :rolleyes:

well if that happens at tyncastle he will have at least half the stadium shouting it with him..................

Cambo_Jambo

Thanks Stokie. Always good to hear it from the horse's mouth so to speak. Now, who here closely follows Artmedia Bratislava?

For the first time in weeks I have felt upbeat about a potential appointment.

Son of Thordar is the man to take Hearts to another level.

I'm loving the way your trying to justify an 8-0 gubbing :D

Listen, I'll take small consolation where I can. We hit the post after 2 minutes.... :)

It's a good thing really. We may have only angered Liverpool in that five trophy season and got a REAL knobbing. :wacko:

Buffalo Bill

I remember that Liverpool game. To be fair, I think a few teams would've taken a shoeing off them that night.

Thanks for the info.

The man does sound like a 'Maverick'.

Matthews.jpg

Buffalo Bill

Worth appointing for that alone.

Get him in, Vlad!

I'll second that!!! Legend in the making!

Vlad: "Mr G do you argree the old firm and scottish media are monkeys"

Thor: "Nah they are just arseholes"

PLUS 3-5-2 = no wing backs = Jose sittin in tighter, hopefully leading to the best out of him and no RB place for a centain Mr Neilson! :eek:

Guest Scottish Cup Semi 2006
Afternoon Jambos.

We rarely looked up for a local derby with Port Vale (RIP) when he was in charge.[/B]

Yours in Fitba'

Stokie

hope his derby record improves - the peg sellers will have enough to laugh about re Del Boy & Rodders. I don't care if we are competing for 3rd (just realistic) but unbeaten against the Hobos is a must for morale.

:107years:

Stokie - good info and you appear to know a bit about Scottish football outwith the old firm. Quite unique for an Englander

Welcome and thanks for the info

Vlad wont go for him IMO. He doesnt like anyone with an opinion or spine

maroonlegions

A rumour followed him from Iceland to Stoke that unless his team upped their performance after half time, he'd go round their houses and shag their wives! Dunno how the game finished though.... :107years:

how many wage thief's are marred or have birds at Hearts just now, like him already and of course big Terry could always kick them were the sun dont shine as back up eh.:P;)

Csaba's Broon Shoes

Looks like Mr G is the man

I really like his style

Lock up the WAGS

recovering alcoholic doesn't make him a bad person

however not Vlads style

"...He won us our first trophy since 1972, the Auto Windscreens Shield (wow!) by beating Bristol City 2-1 at Wembley in front of 75,000..."

Whhops, I just realised I cocked up here, We actually won the Auto Windscreens in 1993- it was the more prestigiously titled LDV Vans Trophy in 2000!

Sorry, I've been ****ed senseless since the first week of May.

And yes I know my Scottish footy- am proud to say I'm of celtic ancestry myself, albeit the western side of the water from Caledonia. And the Mrs is Scottish.

And here's another connection for you- Gudjon tried to sign McSwegan when he was here. I think he eventually did when he was at Notts County.

And yes I know my Scottish footy- am proud to say I'm of celtic ancestry myself, albeit the western side of the water from Caledonia. And the Mrs is Scottish.

Good lad.

Careful though - loose language on here will set the dogs on you ;)

I thought about the 'celtic' reference as I wrote it and glad to see it was taken as intended.

Such things are more enlightened down here. Nobody gives a monkey's crutchpiece regarding religion/surnames/schools you went to/areas you live in.

I have more important things in the world to worry about- like where my next pint is coming from or what to have for tea. Always saw Sectarianism as an exhausting, endless, waste of time perpetuated through centuries of poison. (Although I know you mean Celtic the club... :) )

The People's Chimp

cheers for the info. The boy sounds like a bit of a legend; and perhaps someone who could unite the fans in comedy.

Glad to hear fuller is playing well for you. He had some really special performances with us.

I thought about the 'celtic' reference as I wrote it and glad to see it was taken as intended.

Such things are more enlightened down here. Nobody gives a monkey's crutchpiece regarding religion/surnames/schools you went to/areas you live in.

I have more important things in the world to worry about- like where my next pint is coming from or what to have for tea. Always saw Sectarianism as an exhausting, endless, waste of time perpetuated through centuries of poison. (Although I know you mean Celtic the club... :) )

I thought that was you describing Celtic and Rangers!;)

Reminds me of when Man City beat Huddersfield 10-1.

One City fan said "I wish I was at that game, when was kick off?"

"About every 8 minutes" replied his mate...

I thought that was you describing Celtic and Rangers!

You got me there! But it sells shirts .... :(

Goldstone Wonder
Reminds me of when Man City beat Huddersfield 10-1.

One City fan said "I wish I was at that game, when was kick off?"

"About every 8 minutes" replied his mate...

Remember watching the highlights of that game. I'm pretty sure City were wearing some awful red and black checkerboard effort.

Best bit was after the game when Malcolm McDonald, the Uddersfeeled manager said "I honestly thought we were the better team for the first 10 minutes..."

Stokie - Legend. Great post

Mr G - Gets my vote. Entertainment at last!!

Nelly Terraces

Absolute class geezer. GET THOR IN NOW!!!! 100% LEGEND.

Recovering alcoholic? I feel a kindred spirit with the man.

Carl Fredrickson
Remember watching the highlights of that game. I'm pretty sure City were wearing some awful red and black checkerboard effort.

Best bit was after the game when Malcolm McDonald, the Uddersfeeled manager said "I honestly thought we were the better team for the first 10 minutes..."

I mind that game too - November 1987 if my memory serves me right - the day before the Eniskilling bombing in Ireland.

I mind it as I was in hospital and watched the highlights on TV. It was in the days when we only got a Scottish game but due to the scoreline Scotsport showed it.

Man City indeed wore a honking black and red checked shirt - which my bro had a replica of!

Back on topic - I think Mr G & Tel could work for us - I am a glass half full kind of person.

Afternoon Jambos.

Yours in Fitba'

Stokie

cheers for taking the itme mate - we appreciate it

Gotta say he sounds like an absolute joker

He will probably fit in well with us. We have been going nowehere fast for 2 years :mad:

Many thanks Stokie,

We appreciate you taking the time to fill us in on your ex gaffer.

How much of him did you see when he was manager at Barnsley and Notts County? A season at Notts where they played 50 and lost 21 horrifies me.

I should know better by now, but I really like the sound of this guy. :biggrin:

Thanks Stokie, all info much appreciated.

StrikersInstinct

Gudjon is very strict and makes more enemies than friends. Just ask Gudni Bergsson, once of Tottenham and Bolton. He was the mainstay in the Icelandic national side, the captain, the rock in defence and at the height of his career as the Bolton captain.

He then once refused to play in a meaningless friendly for Iceland. Gudjon never selected him again much to the dismay of Icelandic soccer fans. I mean he was the captain, the most recognized player at that time and he gets the boot because he refused to play in a meaningless friendly. But thats Gudjon Thordarson for you.

Despite of that Icelandic came close to qualifying to the Euro2000 finals!!!

coppercrutch
I should know better by now, but I really like the sound of this guy. :biggrin:

Thanks Stokie, all info much appreciated.

Same here. The guy is clearly a mentalist. For some reason I respect that....:wacko:

StrikersInstinct

The view of a Barnsley fan when Gudjon was appointed at Notts County:

Why did Gudjon Thordarsson leave Stoke City? When your club appoints a new manager fans don't generally look too deep into the manner of the departure from his previous club. The fact that he'd led Stoke to two Wembley finals in his first season, the playoffs in his second and got them promoted via the playoffs in the 3rd was good enough for us.

Gudjon worked wonders at Oakwell at a time when we were in administration,with a poor squad and no ability to sign players.

By the first weeks of his only season at Oakwell we were in the top 6 of the table, and pretty much stayed there until Christmas, varying between 1st and 6th spots during that time.

Then it all went wrong- some would say it was poor tactics, and there's no doubt Gudjon did make some strange decisions. But for me I think he could have pushed on if he'd have been allowed to bring in a couple of new faces.

A second season would possibly have also been fruitful had be been given the chance, but unfortunately a new administration was in at Oakwell by then and he was never given the chance. I'd certainly back Gudjon to do well in League 2 and he works wonders on tight budgets."

Another fan of the Tykes, Rhys Corke, also seemed to back-up Paul's well-detaield opinion of our new manager.

Rhys - editor of popular Barnsley unofficial site BarnsleyFC.net - told NCM:

"Personally speaking, I thought he was a very good manager and did wonders for our club at a time when no-one expected anyone to. Our over-achievements in the first half of the season raised expectations to such an extent that a losing/drawing streak in the New Year effectively signed his death warrant.

Coupled with a new administration at the club who were keen to get their own

man in (Paul Hart, who was useless) meant that Gudjon was sacked without seeing a full season out.

I'd have him back at Barnsley, and now he's came to you you'll do well next season."

Gudjon is very strict and makes more enemies than friends. Just ask Gudni Bergsson, once of Tottenham and Bolton. He was the mainstay in the Icelandic national side, the captain, the rock in defence and at the height of his career as the Bolton captain.

He then once refused to play in a meaningless friendly for Iceland. Gudjon never selected him again much to the dismay of Icelandic soccer fans. I mean he was the captain, the most recognized player at that time and he gets the boot because he refused to play in a meaningless friendly. But thats Gudjon Thordarson for you.

If thats the case spot on! exactally the kind of manager we need. Bergsson as captain should have led by example its an honour to represent your nation. I think he completely deserved being dropped.

Same here. The guy is clearly a mentalist. For some reason I respect that....:wacko:

I think we've been desensitised to madness and probably also a wee bit conditioned into thinking that complete mentalists are actually normal. Gah. Such is life. I think underneath it all, I'm just thinking that he sounds like someone who will kick some serious butt, can handle the media and will give us something to cheer for again.

It's difficult though. I may also just be getting desperate.... :)

jambosean75

about time somebody did that with "captain barry" and his team mates who always seem to be injured when scotland have a friendly.

Archived