U20's V Dundee Utd

mainstandjambo

United team

Zwick Ritchie Donaldson Dailly Dixon Allardice Murdoch Cooper B.Smith C.Smith Garden

Subs Long Reekie Taylor M.Smith Morrell Appare Davie

The Old Tolbooth

Why is our U20 side so damn poor when we have excellent facilities an are meant to be attracting top young lads to the club? It literally means we have no one coming through, whereas Hibs are top of the league and look like they could have a few to come through, although popcorn teeth won't give them a chance, he never does.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

United team

Zwick Ritchie Donaldson Dailly Dixon Allardice Murdoch Cooper B.Smith C.Smith Garden

Subs Long Reekie Taylor M.Smith Morrell Appare Davie

That's a strong United team

Why is our U20 side so damn poor when we have excellent facilities an are meant to be attracting top young lads to the club? It literally means we have no one coming through, whereas Hibs are top of the league and look like they could have a few to come through, although popcorn teeth won't give them a chance, he never does.

The majority of clubs seem to play a few experienced players in the u20s.

We rarely do.

I don't think John Daly is cutting the mustard. There's talent there but he's just not bringing it out in them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk[/quote

As craig leveling said yesterday the academy was starved of money for years by the old owners hence the lack of decent u 20s just now. They have had to find players to fill in for the lack of investment at this age group

I don't think John Daly is cutting the mustard. There's talent there but he's just not bringing it out in them.

Which players do you think are talented

The Old Tolbooth

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk[/quote

As craig leveling said yesterday the academy was starved of money for years by the old owners hence the lack of decent u 20s just now. They have had to find players to fill in for the lack of investment at this age group

Cheers mate, I didn't realise that.

Think that's bad,2 days ago,Aberdeen 1 Motherwell 9.

disgruntledfan

Guess where 4 of those 20s come from especially the one that has just scored his second hatrick in 2 weeks ?  :tiny:

I'd be more looking at our u17s right now if we're wanting to put a marker on where we are with our youths ATM. We've already outright admitted our u20's aren't all there, so losing your shit over such a lame duck helps absolutely nobody.

Footballfirst

Motherwell coached by Stephen Craigan

Someone might be worth a look at

Stephen Craigan?   He's got a pro licence don't you know.

Seriously though. It was pretty well the same Aberdeen XI that beat Hearts 2-0 last week, and Motherwell had no overage players in the side.  They are certainly doing something right.

Guess where 4 of those 20s come from especially the one that has just scored his second hatrick in 2 weeks ? :tiny:

Ollie shaw released by us and banging them in for hibs.

Stephen Craigan? He's got a pro licence don't you know.

Seriously though. It was pretty well the same Aberdeen XI that beat Hearts 2-0 last week, and Motherwell had no overage players in the side. They are certainly doing something right.

I wonder if one important factor might just be Mark McGhee and how he gives opportunities into the first team

The players perhaps have a clear encouragement, incentive and motivation.

Whereas at Hearts we go and sign foreign players giving a different message.

Think that's what Hearts will be aiming for too in next couple of years especially with the better youngsters coming through.

FT 2-2. United goal disallowed in 90th minute

Bussed my coupon :lol:

Good to see the youngsters pick up a point though.

Footballfirst

Ollie shaw released by us and banging them in for hibs.

I've seen Hibs a few times this season and I actually went along to watch them at the Oriam yesterday.  They are playing with the confidence you would expect of a team at the top of the league.  Yesterday they started with James Keatings and Neil Eardley as overage players, but they have used Cummings, McGeouch, Forster and others in previous games.

In addition to his hat trick Ollie Shaw missed three sitters from inside the six yard box, so he could easily have doubled his tally. 

Hibs youngest player in the U20s tends to be Jamie Gullan (also ex Hearts) who is an U18 atm. 

Fort Vallance

If Zanattas back he should take Sammons place on the bench at the very least.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

I think the terms of the development loan means he can still play for the under 20's while he's on loan.

Footballfirst

I wonder if one important factor might just be Mark McGhee and how he gives opportunities into the first team

Think that's what Hearts will be aiming for too in next couple of years especially with the better youngsters coming through.

From what I've seen of Motherwell both last season (youth cup winner) and this, they are well drilled and play as a team.  They press a lot and force opposing teams into mistakes, then they play at a good tempo themselves and have decent pace across the team. 

I think Hearts U20s all too often play in a similar manner to the first team and show the same frailties. Happy to keep possession in defence where it doesn't hurt the opposition and too slow when attacking and to get forward in support create chances.

Hearts last victory in the development league was a 1-0 win against Motherwell. However that night we played with Ozturk, Nowak and Muirhead as overage players.

I think the terms of the development loan means he can still play for the under 20's while he's on loan.

Appreciate your point

I don't think Zanatta was a development loan. He certainly hasn't played for U20s since he went. It was initially an emergency loan then extended.

Footballfirst

It was an emergency loan he was on, which prevents him playing in the Devl  League, so his loan spell must be over.  It may be a factor in allowing Sammon to go out on loan now.

Think what people need to remember is this is a development league, clue in the name. Hearts for the main part of the season have been playing 14/15/16 yr olds in the team and that is mixed with a few a little bit older. When they are playing against most of the other teams they are all a good bit older, all full time players so they are stronger, quicker and a little more streetwise.

The point of the club doing this is to gauge who has the temprament to play at this level, to push their young players to step up. Hearts have a selection of the u17's in full time on a Thursday training with the 20's so the coaches know what these boys are capable of.

Ultimately the goal is to get these boys into the 1st team. Results are nice but the ultimate goal of the coaches and the academy is to put a young player onto the pitch at Tynie, that is success, not wining an under 20's game.

I see comments like this, "Why is our U20 side so damn poor" and think to myself why do you watch football. Does it make you feel good to slag off the young boys who play for your teams academy. Support your team and stop thinking you have a divine right to win. Try to see the bigger picture and if you cant then don't say anything at all.....

Merry Xmas.....

You realise our last starting lineup had Hamilton, Smith, Paterson and Walker in it? They all came through the academy, as did Nicholson who would have started as well.

You realise our last starting lineup had Hamilton, Smith, Paterson and Walker in it? They all came through the academy, as did Nicholson who would have started as well.

I'm talking about now. Motherwell now. Hearts maybe 18 months away.

I'm talking about the first team

Nicholson etc is a different era

jamboinglasgow

Think that's bad,2 days ago,Aberdeen 1 Motherwell 9.

Made me laugh when people were trying to make a point online based only on that score. Having followed U19/U20 games for years, mad results like that happen and should not be given too much weight. I remember in a season of Under 19s where we finished 2nd, there was a run of games where we were scoring for fun and winning by 3 or 4 goals, then Hamilton turned up and won 7-0 against us at home. It was a freak result, but if someone saw only that result then they would presume we were poor and Hamilton are an amazing team.

Lord Beni of Gorgie

A couple of years yet before we see a strong 20s team, according to Levein at yesterday's AGM

Footballfirst

Think what people need to remember is this is a development league, clue in the name. Hearts for the main part of the season have been playing 14/15/16 yr olds in the team and that is mixed with a few a little bit older. When they are playing against most of the other teams they are all a good bit older, all full time players so they are stronger, quicker and a little more streetwise.

The point of the club doing this is to gauge who has the temprament to play at this level, to push their young players to step up. Hearts have a selection of the u17's in full time on a Thursday training with the 20's so the coaches know what these boys are capable of.

Ultimately the goal is to get these boys into the 1st team. Results are nice but the ultimate goal of the coaches and the academy is to put a young player onto the pitch at Tynie, that is success, not wining an under 20's game.

I see comments like this, "Why is our U20 side so damn poor" and think to myself why do you watch football. Does it make you feel good to slag off the young boys who play for your teams academy. Support your team and stop thinking you have a divine right to win. Try to see the bigger picture and if you cant then don't say anything at all.....

Merry Xmas.....

I know where you are coming from, but it is becoming all too easy to blame the previous regime for lack of investment.  The guys that we have seen come through over the last two or three seasons are the products of the old regime's time in charge of the academy, so they can't really be accused of neglecting the Academy, at least up to 2012.

What we have now are hopes that it will all come good in two or three seasons time when the current U16s might be capable of fighting for a place in the first team squad.

This is now the fifth successive season where results/performances of the U19/U20s have been bang average at best. Another two or three seasons could take us up to seven or eight seasons. That is beyond the Academy careers of any kid.  

I think the perceived problems may be down more to ineffective scouting / recruitment, and on the coaching side I personally think the style of play we adopt is too passive to be successful in the Scottish game.

For the record the U19/U20/Development League positions have been as follows:

2016/17 - currently 16th out of 17

2015/16 - 12th out of 17

2014/15 - 15th out of 17

2013/14 - 16th out of 16

2012/13 - 10th of of 15

2011/12 (U19s) - 2nd  out of 12 

2010/11 (U19s) - 2nd out of 12

Who were the mainstays of the sides in 2010 - 2012?   Walker, Holt, D Smith, B King, Hamilton, Mullen, Kane, Paterson McHattie, Carrick, Prychynenko, Robinson, McKay, Nicholson, McGhee.

From what I've seen of the Academy teams this season, the middle age groups of U14-U16 give some hope that more than just the one or two might make it. These are the last age groups that were first recruited into the academy under the old regime.  However, I just haven't seen a general raising of standards at the youngest age groups, barring the odd individual performance over the last couple of years while the new regime has been in place. It may all come good, but I'm yet to be convinced that the new regime's approach is more successful than the previous one.

Gene Parmesan

I've not been to a Hearts youth level game in years but I do hear the odd thing from those that do. There doesn't seem to be an awful lot of talent in the current U20s that you would bank on 'making it' (Danny Baur maybe the exception?)

Seems to be a wee buzz around the lads who were in the Scotland Victory Shield squad though. MacDonald, Hamilton, Cochrane and Leonard (currently U17s I think). I thought Cochrane was stand out in that tournament but have heard a couple of guys saying MacDonald looks extremely promising.

Archived