Today's Guardian half page about Cathro

Alva-Jambo

Yes these people covered the appointment but what a shocking attitude the writer had about Scotland.  The word Neanderthal was not used but I was expecting it. 

The writer was correct that our football is " way down there"  as is our educashun!

-  bottom in the world it seems.  However hs is positive about Hearts and the cathro appointment and it also goes into Austin's appearance. 

" Cathro.. will not encounter anyone in Edinburgh of the level he has worked with already"   ( though no mention of  Weediedom). 

Sorry I cant post up a link to this. 

Spot On. Scroll all the way down, there's big gaps.

Sometimes the feeling prevails that Scottish football deserves all it gets. Certainly, when asking why the country?s national sport has been reduced to laughing?stock status for so long, events of recent weeks would serve as a useful reference point. Where the attitude of the dark age is so prominent, where hypocrisy is rife, it really is no shock that Scotland continues to fail.

Heart of Midlothian?s courting of Ian Cathro as the head coach to replace Robbie Neilson triggered some quite astonishing coverage. Cathro, at 30, has now taken over at the Edinburgh club. He has realised the extent to which pre?conceived agenda hits home, not that, thankfully, anybody who knows Cathro thinks he will care one jot.

Amongst those to publicly express concern were Stephen Craigan, a youth development coach at Motherwell, Jamie Fullarton ? recently manager of Notts County for 12 games, winning three ? and Kris Boyd, a player as notable throughout his career for what he couldn?t do as what he could.

This has not been astute opinion forming. Rather, it represents crass demeaning of someone who deliberately ploughed his own furrow. Cathro has crammed more into the past eight years than the majority of Scottish coaches sample in a career.

During his journey, Cathro has dealt with professionals of a far higher level than he will ever encounter in Edinburgh. Whatever other issues may ensue, he is unlikely to quiver at the thought of giving dressing-room instruction to Conor Sammon and Robbie Muirhead.

Boyd used his newspaper column to insist Cathro will be ?way, way out of his depth? after issuing needlessly personal jibes relating to the Hearts coach?s supposed immaturity. Man management, Boyd asserted, ?is a part of the game he knows absolutely nothing about?. This appears to be based on Boyd encountering a ?shy? Cathro at a Uefa Pro Licence course.

This willingness to lacerate a young, innovative coach before he has even been pictured with a scarf above his head is one thing. The same language was not used when it emerged Rangers held talks with Cathro in 2015, just as when the Ibrox club?s former managers and current chairman speak of a need for over-investment, thereby ignoring the sins of the past, this is merely accepted at face value.

More serious is the ignorance with which Cathro has been treated. It is endemic of the attitude which holds Scotland back. The country appears petty and parochial, as if it wants this outsider ? Scottish himself, remember ? to fail. Only on Saturday, further small?mindedness was apparent as Mark McGhee, manager of Motherwell and assistant to the Scotland national team, claimed he did not know the name of Celtic?s assistant manager Chris Davies. McGhee welcomed Davies, by name, in his programme notes of the same day.

Nobody in Scotland can legitimately preach from a position of great power. If Hearts want to be bold and different, where is the harm?

On one hand, people bemoan systematic failure. On the other? Let?s mock someone who thought outside the box. If Hearts lose at Ibrox on Saturday, as they may well do given a dismal away record, Cathro will be whacked by yet another wave of negativity.

Of course, Cathro represents a risk for Hearts; just as Neilson was when plucked from under-20 coaching in 2014. That did not play out too badly. The reality is any appointment at any level of the game, let alone one as low as Scotland, may not succeed.

Cathro may be the victim of inverted snobbery. His pathway to the top flight took him from his own football school to Dundee United, Rio Ave in Portugal, Valencia and Newcastle, where Rafael Ben?tez thought the young Scot worthy of retention despite the rest of Steve McClaren?s backroom staff being shown the door. As Cathro was embarking on an alternative and admirable career path, Scotland?s reputation was taking a hammering with every passing European competition or international fixture.

2630.jpg?w=300&q=55&auto=format&usm=12&f
Malky Mackay is on the SFA?s radar for the role of performance director despite the scandal that has seen him not work in football for nearly two years. Photograph: Phil Noble/Reuters

Craig Levein, now Hearts? director of football and the man who spotted Cathro?s promise when in charge of Dundee United, knows better than anyone about the latter?s talent. It should be remembered that, since exiting administration more than two years ago, Hearts have got precious few decisions wrong.

Advertisement

Cathro?s first was to turn to his long-time friend Austin MacPhee as his assistant. Their paths have been similar, with MacPhee progressing to the point of being a key influence on Michael O?Neill?s hugely acclaimed Northern Ireland squad. MacPhee not only takes football analytics to a new level, he retains the capacity to properly impart relevant information on players and teams. Together, Cathro and MacPhee are being painted in some quarters as the Nutty Professors of Scottish football.

MacPhee?s decision both endorses Cathro and rather leaves the Scottish FA in a pickle. The 37-year-old had been a strong candidate and perhaps the favourite to take on the governing body?s performance director role before opting for Tynecastle. MacPhee?s appeal to the SFA was obvious, from collection and use of data for clubs and national teams to implementation of a full coaching curriculum.

With MacPhee out of the equation, Malky Mackay is left as the supposed frontrunner for the performance director job and that is where the proper focus in Scotland should lie: the willingness of the governing body to seriously consider Mackay, to the point where he was present in the Hampden Park director?s box for the recent League Cup final.

Mackay is, of course, backed by old friends in high places. The respective managers of the Old Firm, Brendan Rodgers and Mark Warburton, have touted Mackay for what is a seriously important post. At no point have that pair, or anyone else, had the gumption to point out exactly why the 44-year-old is wholly unsuitable.

The first point is a basic football one. When Mackay was flying high at Watford or Cardiff City, he would have had no interest whatsoever in Scotland?s performance plan. He is a manager, not a youth football strategist; just as, should any decent English club show interest in Mackay?s services again, the notion would persist that he could not cross the border quickly enough.

Advertisement

More pertinent still is the means by which Mackay is now happy to make himself available and why he will not be touched by a club with self-regard. Nobody should need reminding of message exchanges which referred to ?*** chinkys? and ?dogs?, ?not many white faces? on a transfer list, ?a bounce on her falsies? of a female agent plus other texts which verged from antisemitic or racist to simply offensive. Two elements of this affair were ludicrous: the sense that this was endemic of football culture, plus Mackay?s explanation of ?friendly text message banter?.

Here is the appropriate context; a Scottish role which oversees schools, academies, male and female teams plus the coaches responsible for them. What possible message would it send out for someone with Mackay?s previous to be in charge? For all Mackay has a right to work and a second chance, being given this in such a job would be staggering, even by the SFA?s questionable standards of judgment. Equal opportunity? Two fingers to the suggestion, more like.

Cathro?s arrival plus MacPhee?s acceptance link these two affairs. One has sparked anger, the one which follows logic and reason. Only in Scotland.

Can't argue with this article.

Our club really is standing out at the moment for all the right reasons.

Yes these people covered the appointment but what a shocking attitude the writer had about Scotland.  The word Neanderthal was not used but I was expecting it. 

The writer was correct that our football is " way down there"  as is our educashun!

-  bottom in the world it seems.  However hs is positive about Hearts and the cathro appointment and it also goes into Austin's appearance. 

" Cathro.. will not encounter anyone in Edinburgh of the level he has worked with already"   ( though no mention of  Weediedom). 

Sorry I cant post up a link to this. 

By "The writer", you mean Ewan Murray the Jambo from Edinburgh?

By "The writer", you mean Ewan Murray the Jambo from Edinburgh?

He's certainly a Jambo. He's not from Edinburgh though.

It's the bit on Malky Mackay that got my attention. How anyone with his record could eventually be anywhere near youth development in Scottish football beats me.

From the Press up to the SPFL Scottish football is dominated by second-rate writers, administrators and Old Firm connections.

God help us, or maybe Ann Budge.

He's right though. Just because it's uncomfortable reading, doesn't mean it should not be said. I feel no loyalty or indeed embarrassment towards or about his withering assessment of the state of our national sport. I'd rather we faced up to the omni-shambles that these weegie arseholes have presided over for all these years, rather than us pull ranks with them and circle the wagons. The arseholes running our game need called out for what they are.

The fact Malky Mackay is anywhere near paid employment again shows just how ludicrous football has become

Francis Albert

Read it on line when posted in another thread. Not a word in it I disagree with.

Only slight surprise is that as a Guardian story it didn't blame the state of Scottish football on Brexit.

Read it on line when posted in another thread. Not a word in it I disagree with.

Only slight surprise is that as a Guardian story it didn't blame the state of Scottish football on Brexit.

Give them time FA and i'm sure they will pin that on us .

He's right though. Just because it's uncomfortable reading, doesn't mean it should not be said. I feel no loyalty or indeed embarrassment towards or about his withering assessment of the state of our national sport. I'd rather we faced up to the omni-shambles that these weegie arseholes have presided over for all these years, rather than us pull ranks with them and circle the wagons. The arseholes running our game need called out for what they are.

Spot on

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good article.

Need more worldwide exposure on this, it's a shame no paper yet has blamed the real culprits for the state of Scottish football.

Sack Doncaster and Reagan.

Kris Boyd has shown the world the 'future' of Scottish football.

Change needed now!

I started this thread yesterday and have re read the article.  Some of it indeed does seem to slag off Scotland in general,

which is not very usual for a Guardian writer. I am even more surprised now I know he is  Jambo.  

However I can see he had planned to write about troglodyte aspects of the Scottish game,

in the manner that Cathro was already attacked by Boyd etc.   

He does also make a good set of comments about Malky  McKay.  

His views on  Cathro appointment, his background, /Hearts however, is very fair and intelligently penned.

I can see Scotland''s football that " is a laughing stock" into the 21st Century.   

'd have appreciated it if he had

stated     "  the laughing stock that is the SFA and its senior officials".   ( I see others here have picked up on this ).

O/T

My Brother in England  admits to me  yes, Scots football is denegraded in areas he knows, but it is part of local racism against the " Jocks " and anything Scots

apart from Whisky of course however there isn't anything I can do about it. 

But well, time will tell , Hearts do have a decent press down south from what I have occasionally read.  And no wonder England's top flights are so

great - they are bolstered by TV billions, and that's not because their clubs are any damn good, its because there are so many Englishmen with Satellite bundle contracts, compared  to Scots. They are  in other words, damn jammy - and employ many foreign players of quality ( for now)  .

I started this thread yesterday and have re read the article. Some of it indeed does seem to slag off Scotland in general,

which is not very usual for a Guardian writer. I am even more surprised now I know he is Jambo.

However I can see he had planned to write about troglodyte aspects of the Scottish game,

in the manner that Cathro was already attacked by Boyd etc.

He does also make a good set of comments about Malky McKay.

His views on Cathro appointment, his background, /Hearts however, is very fair and intelligently penned.

I can see Scotland''s football that " is a laughing stock" into the 21st Century.

'd have appreciated it if he had

stated " the laughing stock that is the SFA and its senior officials". ( I see others here have picked up on this ).

O/T

My Brother in England admits to me yes, Scots football is denegraded in areas he knows, but it is part of local racism against the " Jocks " and anything Scots

apart from Whisky of course however there isn't anything I can do about it.

But well, time will tell , Hearts do have a decent press down south from what I have occasionally read. And no wonder England's top flights are so

great - they are bolstered by TV billions, and that's not because their clubs are any damn good, its because there are so many Englishmen with Satellite bundle contracts, compared to Scots. They are in other words, damn jammy - and employ many foreign players of quality ( for now) .

You are correct about the money being the main difference between our game and theirs. A watch of 'The Big Game Revisited' on ITV on a Sat/Sun morning when the match featured is from the 70s shows you how shite English football was too. We don't have the money up here but there are things we could do to make it more appealing.

It's not nice that our national sport is as shitely run as it is, but there's no getting away from it, it needs radically overhauled, beginning with the offices situated in that embarrassingly shite national stadium of ours.

Archived