Why are people so easily offended these days?

Solid Snake

jack D and coke

Its just lucky it wasn't pork in the fivers........

Ain't that the truth[emoji1]

I see in Birmingham they're having to put up concrete barriers round the Christmas market for fear of people driving vehicles into the place in terror attacks.

Cultural enrichment I think is the phrase.

Liberalism is a return to what we should have been before religious oppression and artificial societal constructs "taught" us that women are lesser, gays are abnormal and so on.

Yes some take it a bit far, but they should be dismissed as swivel eyed loons

No ****ing danger we should be like this.What it used to be like was that people minded their own business and helped themselves up.Self reliance instead of blame.

Peoples minds are made up now by bright colours and loud noises,they cannot tell the difference between an advert and an instruction.

Bird on the radio today thinks it's shocking that guys can post topless photos on Instagram yet women aren't allowed, to her it's a sign of inequality. I like this easily offended woman and look forward to seeing her baps.

People used to be offended by "vulgar" and "crass" language.  

Black men in the US were lynched because they made what someone thought was an inappropriate comment to a white woman.  The superb movie "Loving" covers how in certain US states you couldn't marry across races because it offended the sensibilities of people who thought the races needed to stay "pure."

Blasphemy used to get you thrown in jail.  Didn't someone in Edinburgh get his tongue ripped out of his mouth with pliers on High St. because he said "God Save the King" during Cromwell's rule?

But pity the poor right winger now -- he has to hear someone say, "that offends me."  Such an awful state of affairs!

Tallow is used in many machine shop disciplines. It's used to help manufacture every day gadgets and utensils. After these offending fivers have done the rounds there will be a lot more nastier shit on them than tallow. Yuck! 

My Scottish wife was born to Indian (Sikh) parents who moved here via Leeds and Birmingham from Northern India in the Sixties. My mother-in-law is a strict vegan, though she makes meat dishes for her family. She has seperate cooking utensils and even cloths for her own food. I asked her what she thought about the new fivers. She said they feel a bit weird, but she has gotten used to them. I then said that there is animal fat used in making them. She shrugged and said she wasn't really bothered, as she didn't intend on eating them. :lol:

I'm not even 100% sure what being offended actually is. Seem like in most cases people use the word to point score or have been told that they should feel offended and for some reason that means something.

You don't know what being offended is?

Are you a complete moron?

My Scottish wife was born to Indian (Sikh) parents who moved here via Leeds and Birmingham from Northern India in the Sixties. My mother-in-law is a strict vegan, though she makes meat dishes for her family. She has seperate cooking utensils and even cloths for her own food. I asked her what she thought about the new fivers. She said they feel a bit weird, but she has gotten used to them. I then said that there is animal fat used in making them. She shrugged and said she wasn't really bothered, as she didn't intend on eating them. :lol:

ha ha, quality reply.

Are Hindus not the ones who have that utterly barbaric ritual where thousands of animals are slaughtered in the streets and there's basically rivers of blood? Like this? Chopping off their heads etc?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2852739/Nepal-devotees-sacrifice-thousands-animals-Hindu-ritual.html

But they can't touch a fiver?

Would Louis Smith have offended many people if he'd have slagged the Christian god?

Sorry regal not having a pop at you pal just you pointed out those two examples.

I think you'll find it's actually (some) Nepalis (who happen to be Hindu) that participate in that ritual, rather than Hindus in general. As the article itself states:

More than 80 per cent of Nepal's 27 million people are Hindus, but unlike most of their counterparts in neighbouring India, they frequently sacrifice animals to appease deities during festivals.  ". I'm no expert on these matters, but I'd imagine the vast majority of the worlds' Hindus would be horrified by this.

jack D and coke

I think you'll find it's actually (some) Nepalis (who happen to be Hindu) that participate in that ritual, rather than Hindus in general. As the article itself states:

" More than 80 per cent of Nepal's 27 million people are Hindus, but unlike most of their counterparts in neighbouring India, they frequently sacrifice animals to appease deities during festivals. ". I'm no expert on these matters, but I'd imagine the vast majority of the worlds' Hindus would be horrified by this.

Yeah I'd imagine they are.

Doesn't take away from the fact what a fuss about absolutely nothing over a fiver.

Like mothy says his mother in law reacted in the correct way. You know like a rational human would.

Yeah I'd imagine they are.

Doesn't take away from the fact what a fuss about absolutely nothing over a fiver.

Like mothy says his mother in law reacted in the correct way. You know like a rational human would.

Well, you know what? Everyone's capable of being offended by something; everyone has their limits and their buttons to be pushed. I'd give very good odds indeed that the folk on this thread most "offended" by other people being offended by things that they, themselves, regard as trivial are very much offended by certain things: paedophilia, for example.

I had a conversation years ago with an old mate who was railing against "PC views" and the "easily-offended". He was putting forward the point of view that everyone should just be able to do or say whatever they like (within the law, presumably...), and that if others don't like it they can just stop listening to you, walk away, or turn off the TV or whatever. (Or, indeed, punch you in the face, presumably...) His son was 9 or 10 years old at the time.

My argument to him was that would it then be fine with him if some high-profile and famous comedian, musician, TV host, broadcaster, or film-maker, had based their whole act, or work, around how great it was to have sex with wee boys, and were actively promoting that as a lifestyle choice and were encouraging others to join in? Would he have been fine with that and just walked away, stopped listening or watching, turned off? Would he have just shrugged his shoulders and upheld the right of that high-profile and famous figure to do or say whatever they wanted?

The answer was, of course, no.

Like I said, all of us are capable of being offended by something.

(Respect to The Earl's mother-in-law though: with a great deal more of that attitude, the world would be an easier place to live in!)

Great response. :lol:

I found this online earlier (vice.com so it might be bollocks, but it would be amazing if true):

Tallow is rendered cow or mutton fat, but for the sake of argument let's go with cows here.

How much do cows weigh? Between 1,100kg for a male (bull) and 720kg for a female. So, on average, a cow weighs 910kg.

The body fat content of an average cow is 25 percent. Therefore, the amount of fat in an average cow's body is 227.5kg.

How many kilograms of this fat is contained in offcuts you could use to make tallow? About 40kg, according to a man at the James Elliott butcher in Islington.

How much tallow is used in one note, according to the Bank of England? "A trace", which chemically means less than 100 parts per million, or 0.01 percent. A polymer consultant I called confirmed that the tallow present in a given polymer would be a fraction of a single percentage.

New ?5 notes weigh 0.7g, therefore there is roughly 0.00007 g of tallow present in one ?5 note.

How many fivers are in circulation now, and therefore will be around by May of 2017, when all the old paper ones have been phased out? 329 million notes.

To work out how much tallow will be used in total in all of these fivers, we need to multiply 0.00007g by 329 million, which gives us 23,030g, or 23kg. 

And if you get about 40kg of tallow-worthy fat from the average cow, how many cows would you need to make every single ?5 note in circulation?

JUST OVER HALF OF ONE COW

Great response. :lol:

I found this online earlier (vice.com so it might be bollocks, but it would be amazing if true):

What do they do with the other half? Poor animal.

• 2 weeks later...

No such thing as bad publicity and Joy clothing know it.for every one customer saying you have lost me. They will have gained ten more fromantic the not offended at the slightest thing persons in society.advert did it's job.

Seymour M Hersh

The older generation get it Mothy. No matter what culture they come from. Great response from you MiL.

Archived