Why are people so easily offended these days?

Solid Snake

I always see people getting offended by the most trivial shite these days.

Just a couple examples...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leicestershire-38156650

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/gymnastics/37832754

Has the world always been like this or is it a new thing?

I'm not saying people should be allowed to do/say what they want with absolutely no repercussions, but come on man. :lol:

It's not just specific to religion (although many of the easily offended stories I've seen are infact religion based), it seems to be everything.

Main reason is that their lifes are too fast and have their heads up ntheir own backsides.

Seem to be more plonkers going about than their used to be, think they are better

than everyone one else, 

Samuel Camazzola

I'm not saying people should be allowed to do/say what they want with absolutely no repercussions, but come on man. :lol:

It's not just specific to religion (although many of the easily offended stories I've seen are infact religion based), it seems to be everything.

Yip. Even ten years ago, a few folk were foaming at the mouth when an ex-player celebrated a late winner whilst playing for his new team. Who'd have thought, that even to this day, it still disturbs a handful of folk?

When did becoming offended matter? What happened to;

"that offended me!"

"So ****ing what? I couldn't care less if you feel offended. Grow up and get on with it tulip"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yip. Even ten years ago, a few folk were foaming at the mouth when an ex-player celebrated a late winner whilst playing for his new team. Who'd have thought, that even to this day, it still disturbs a handful of folk?

I'm offended that you expect folk to believe that story.

It's just too far fetched.

:lol:

When did becoming offended matter? What happened to;

"that offended me!"

"So ******* what? I couldn't care less if you feel offended. Grow up and get on with it tulip"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep.

"I'm offended"

"Don't worry, you'll get over it"

alwaysthereinspirit

Participation Trophy Winners.

I'm not even 100% sure what being offended actually is. Seem like in most cases people use the word to point score or have been told that they should feel offended and for some reason that means something.

Far too many people are far too easily offended these days. The feminists are by far the worst, but religious groups, especially Muslims are absolutely awful for it too.

Boycotting money because it contains animal fat ffs, cringeworthy.

Far too many people are far too easily offended these days. The feminists are by far the worst, but religious groups, especially Muslims are absolutely awful for it too.

You do undetstand how religion works?

Brian Whittaker's Tache

Easy outlets for them to be offended though! FB, twitter etc etc!

I'm with Bill Hicks and Stephen Fry

This idea of ?I?m offended?
Well I?ve got news for you. I?m offended by a lot of things too. Where do I send my list? 
Life is offensive. 
You know what I mean? 
Just get in touch with your outer adult. And grow up. And move on. 

I?ve seen many comics I?ve hated. I?ve seen many shows that have offended me. I?ve never written a letter. I just go about my life.

?It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more... than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so ******* what."

Given the groups that are outraged by the new fiver I think all money should contain tallow, in fact, double it's content.

Brian Whittaker's Tache

Given the groups that are outraged by the new fiver I think all money should contain tallow, in fact, double it's content.

I ate a bacon sandwich this morning then spent a ?2 coin in Scotmid on Granton Road without washing my hands. Vegans you have been warned!

It's because it's all a massive attention seek these days, and with the Internet, these people now have a platform on which to be a complete and utter bell end. The most offended gets the most likes on Facebook, which is something that clearly matters.

The amount of tiptoeing around people you have to do these days is pathetic.

Perhaps is because of attempts to eradicate bullying......

Certainly as a kid we used to pelt each other with racial, homophobic and all kinds of other abuse pretty much all the time

The fat kid was mocked, the red head the same, the short kid , the spotty kid , the "loose" girl

You developed a thick skin and pushed on.

Now you're not allowed to take the piss out of anyone (though this in many cases is undoubtedly a good thing)

It's because it's all a massive attention seek these days, and with the Internet, these people now have a platform on which to be a complete and utter bell end. The most offended gets the most likes on Facebook, which is something that clearly matters.

Quite agree. You can't breathe these days without offending someone.

Saw a post on my facebook the other day that said feminists are offended about Movember.. Apparently its sexist and offensive for men to grow beards and moustaches in order to highlight male cancer issues...

I couldn't spend 5 minutes in the company of the sort of person who would get offended by such things. Absolute waste of spunk the lot of them.

Of all the things that are shit in this world, people highlight the fact that men can grow beards and (most) women can't.

It would be completely impossible to win a logical argument with that type of ****wittery.

Saw a post on my facebook the other day that said feminists are offended about Movember.. Apparently its sexist and offensive for men to grow beards and moustaches in order to highlight male cancer issues...

I couldn't spend 5 minutes in the company of the sort of person who would get offended by such things. Absolute waste of spunk the lot of them.

Of all the things that are shit in this world, people highlight the fact that men can grow beards and (most) women can't.

It would be completely impossible to win a logical argument with that type of ****wittery.

Most feminists I know aren't like this at all. In fact I believe there is a very large misconception of what most feminists are actually like.

There'll be one radical feminist out of a hundred, but those are the ones who make the news.

Then your average 'lad' on Facebook will generalise all feminists as crazy based on these stories.

Beat me to it bud. I have a bit OCD. Like things a certain way, always have to check and double check stuff is switched off etc. Some bint was on FB the other day whingeing that a Xmas jumper had a reindeer and "Obsessive Christmas Disorder on it". It offended her cos she "suffers from" OCD. In my callow youth, if something offended me I might tell the person who'd said it that it was offensive, provided they couldn't kick me head in. Nowadays you just post that shit up on fb or whatever and other saddoes like it. World's going to hell in a handbasket. And another thing...........

Someone should tell them about Fanuary

What realy irks me, are those who are offended on behalf of other people. Whether on TV or print, (I'm glad I dont use twitter or facebook) it always appears to be some irrelevant attention-seeking luvvie or politician hijacking an issue or debate to suit there own agendas.

Spot on bud.

• 2 weeks later...

What realy irks me, are those who are offended on behalf of other people. Whether on TV or print, (I'm glad I dont use twitter or facebook) it always appears to be some irrelevant attention-seeking luvvie or politician hijacking an issue or debate to suit there own agendas.

That irks me. Sometimes it will be that the person they are offended on behalf of are not offended themselves.

As for social media, it is full of people trying to be more offended than the previous person. They seem to think by posting about how offended they are, it makes them a better person.

Regal Kingston

The cow is sacred to Hindus and we have added a small amount of the slaughtered beast into our money.

Surely there must have been a synthetic option?

I think it would piss me off as a Hindu.

Louis Smith is just an arsehole

The Treasurer

The cow is sacred to Hindus and we have added a small amount of the slaughtered beast into our money.

I don't see the connection between the first two. 

The option used would, I'd imagine, be the best and most cost effective one

Third comment probably corrrect

With regards to the ?5 note, I look forward to free stuff when I pay using it and someone refuses to take it (no necessary a hindu, could be a vegetarian).

zoltan socrates

Are you a hindu?

I remember there was a time when you can have a laugh at the football. Now people are so easily offended that if you try and start something, then you risk being ejected. No wonder the famous Tynecastle atmosphere is more like a morgue.

Liberalism is a cult like The Moonies , Scientology  or any religion for that matter that tops up its members brainwashing everyday on the internet and in the evening by way of the idiots lantern.

We must be near the end now.

Liberalism is a cult like The Moonies , Scientology or any religion for that matter that tops up its members brainwashing everyday on the internet and in the evening by way of the idiots lantern.

A worldview based on the concepts of liberty and equality is a cult?

That doesn't even make sense

Liberalism is a cult like The Moonies , Scientology  or any religion for that matter that tops up its members brainwashing everyday on the internet and in the evening by way of the idiots lantern.

Liberalism is a return to what we should have been before religious oppression and artificial societal constructs "taught" us that women are lesser, gays are abnormal and so on.

Yes some take it a bit far, but they should be dismissed as swivel eyed loons

People who get easily offended need binned from society imo

"Being offended" is one of those things that people say without even thinking about what it actually means.

Nothing happens when you're offended, apart from people that make themselves angry and upset about it.  I would say that "shocked" is probably a better term for most people who claim to be offended, and then it's those people themselves that make a big song and dance about it, instead of just ignoring it and getting on with the rest of their day.

I've already said it, but being offended is more about how much attention you can draw to yourself on social media, than actually being upset about something.

No-one has ever died from being offended, but the way people go on about it, you think it's a cancer that's killing society, when in fact, it's these people themselves that are the ****ing problem.

Man up*, shut up, and get on with it.

*inb4 offended because you're genderfluid and the word man triggers your home diagnosed PTSD.

jack D and coke

Are Hindus not the ones who have that utterly barbaric ritual where thousands of animals are slaughtered in the streets and there's basically rivers of blood? Like this? Chopping off their heads etc?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2852739/Nepal-devotees-sacrifice-thousands-animals-Hindu-ritual.html

But they can't touch a fiver?

Would Louis Smith have offended many people if he'd have slagged the Christian god?

Sorry regal not having a pop at you pal just you pointed out those two examples.

Are Hindus not the ones who have that utterly barbaric ritual where thousands of animals are slaughtered in the streets and there's basically rivers of blood? Like this? Chopping off their heads etc?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2852739/Nepal-devotees-sacrifice-thousands-animals-Hindu-ritual.html

Would Louis Smith have offended many people if he'd have slagged the Christian god?

Sorry regal not having a pop at you pal just you pointed out those two examples.

Its just lucky it wasn't pork in the fivers........

I think it's down to the animal in question.

The fiver to Hindus is a bit like inviting the local Rabbi and Immam round to yours for breakfast and offering up bacon rolls.  

And then being offended that they refuse them.

jack D and coke

I think it's down to the animal in question.

The fiver to Hindus is a bit like inviting the local Rabbi and Immam round to yours for breakfast and offering up bacon rolls.

And then being offended that they refuse them.

Except it's no.

Archived