Therapist

What do you recommend?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. What do you recommend?

• Tackle it yourself, but be very careful
    • Tackle it yourself, and don't worry about a few stings
    • Get the council to sort it
    • See if there's anyone at McDiarmid Park who could handle it

I have done a couple on my own, one was a bit difficult to reach. First off I wore long sleeves with gloves, taped my wrists so they could not get in the gloves or the sleeves. Waited to late evening, then used the foam which actually seals the entrances they use, then peeled it off gently into a full bucket of water.

What I did learn to watch for is if it was not late enough in the day it was like the buggers had sentries. When I got down to examine the nest a wasp appeared from nowhere started buzzing around me closely followed by a bunch coming from the nest.

It may be worth the money if its in a diffcult spot, because if you do it wrong and they come after you it can be a problem.

I just love that wee expression at the end there.

:)

i have just spoke to someone who is connected to the council he says the powder from B and Q works well, ALso one of my mates who works for one of the golf courses in edinburgh said the same or the other pion is to use petrol and burn the little feckers,but if its to close then i would say the powder.

use petrol and burn the little feckers

Ted, the nest is under my house. :dribble:

Leave gods creatures alone...

They are Beelzebub's creatures in the same way as hobos and tims are. :mad:

The Old Tolbooth

:D

I cant argue with that statement!!

Ted, the nest is under my house. :dribble:

I'll have a go for you, I don't mind them too much,come on, they're only wasps FFS.:)

I'll have a go for you, I don't mind them too much,come on, they're only wasps FFS.:)

You can come round and throw your chips at them. ;)

You can come round and throw your chips at them. ;)

So long as you have a park bench handy for me to fall over.

The Real Maroonblood
If you can get to it, then put a bag under it and knock it off into the bag, quickly tying the bag up, and then burn the thing!

If not, get the council to do it cos those are evil little mothers and need shot![/QUOTE]

What about the wasps.

:):):):):)

Ferk me after reading about those flying striped death mice I nearly sprinted to close me window. The feckers chop the heads of bees and eat their young! It takes 500 bees to kill 'em. And the Japanese like to eat them. Yum.

Sod the powder and all that stuff, you need these guys.

ateam460.jpg

Only if you can find them though.

Doctor FinnBarr

Ooh ooh, contraversial!

:confused:

Say What Again
You mean this one mate?

agh1.jpg

:D

The last time that pic was posted the ladies (and some 'men' :P) of the Shed nearly done one.

You're a very naughty man JM. :)

Legend Claws

Used to get 3-4 a year in my old house, we always just paid the council to do it although I enjoyed kicking something at the nest and running away as they all attacked the item. Not a solution but pretty fun!

We once had a nest in the bird box in the garden, so I stuffed a rag dipped in white spirits in the hole and lit it. Had flames 10 foot high off the thing and when other wasps returned to the nest they weren't to chuffed to find their house on fire so decided to attack me as I was attempting to stop the whole garden going up in flames. Good fun like!

Era Macaroons
Just discovered there's a wasps' nest in a vent close to my front door. :mad:

Any advice on how to tackle it? Should I try to destroy it myself , bearing in mind I could get killed or seriously hurt if they gang up on me, or do what I did last year and pay the council to deal with it?

Ive had 3 in the last 5 years

1 quite big (at least 100 wasps) in the 'grill' on the side of the house that lets air inbetween the two layers of bricks

used wasp foam spray which worked superbly

2 smaller ones in my shed about the size of golf balls, which hadnt really matured.

used 2 litre coke bottle with top cut off....put it over nest and slid a bit card along top to chop nest into bottle, squeezed bottle top together and taped up

followed by nature lesson for my daughter as we shook it about to expose all the wee grubs and destroy the (suprisingly soft) nest.

1 quite big (at least 100 wasps) in the 'grill' on the side of the house that lets air inbetween the two layers of bricks

used wasp foam spray which worked superbly.

That's exactly the situation I've got.

There's a Homebase close by so I'm off to buy some of that foam at lunch time. I will have a go at them tonight once they have stopped flying around.

That's exactly the situation I've got.

There's a Homebase close by so I'm off to buy some of that foam at lunch time. I will have a go at them tonight once they have stopped flying around.

the powder works pretty well to m8.

the powder works pretty well to m8.

Noted. That's what the council used last year. I may buy both and start with the one that I can use from furthest away.

had one last summer.bought the powder out of B&Q worked a treat................

squeeze in powder round about dusk and the returning wasp carry it into the nest .couldnt have been easier tbh......................

make sure you wear a pair of gloves and a hood thats all lol :)

Ok. You need to go to woolies and buy a pinyata (which they sell these days). You will also need a video recorder and some sticks. Cut a hole the size of the nest in the pinyata. Put the pinyata over the wasps nest. Have a party and invite some Hibs fans. Get them drunk enough to hamper any possibility of escape and tell them the pinyata is full of their favorite sweets. Hand them a blindfold and record the fun from a safe distance. Post footage on here. Sorted.

just do the obvious if u somehow are daft and can't get the powder to work wap it oot and pee in the vent, then light it up or for ?2.20 you can get a can of lynx and burn the feckers alive!

wap it oot and pee in the vent

That's not an option as I'd have to get really close. :rolleyes:

The Old Tolbooth
That's not an option as I'd have to get really close. :rolleyes:

Your wife might enjoy the swelling :rolleyes:

The Old Tolbooth
The last time that pic was posted the ladies (and some 'men' :P) of the Shed nearly done one.

You're a very naughty man JM. :)

No idea what your on about mate :whistling:

Your wife might enjoy the swelling :rolleyes:

Not bad John, but if it's all the same to you I'll persevere with my vacuum developer. :cool:

The Old Tolbooth
Not bad John, but if it's all the same to you I'll persevere with my vacuum developer. :cool:

They don't work :rolleyes:

They don't work :rolleyes:

The jury's still out as far as I'm concerned. By the time I've done enough pumping to create the vacuum I'm too tired to do anything anyway. :sad:

The Old Tolbooth
The jury's still out as far as I'm concerned. By the time I've done enough pumping to create the vacuum I'm too tired to do anything anyway. :sad:

Ahh, old age, it hits us all at some point mate ;)

The foam will probably be the most sensible option.

However, don't rule out the white spirit idea.

The foam will probably be the most sensible option.

However, don't rule out the white spirit idea.

The bloke in Homebase said the foam was great stuff as you can spray it from two metres away. :)

Forget the white spirit - I am not setting Therapist Towers on fire.

I told myself I wasn't going to watch it.

I told myself I would hate it.

I told myself no good would come out of watching that video.

I watched it. And now I feel ill. ****ing terrifying.

I think I'll call him Steven.

I think I'll call him Steven.

If that video doesn't creep you out there's something wrong with you. Why would the boy a) want that thing anywhere near him and B) keep it as a ****ing pet?

If that video doesn't creep you out there's something wrong with you. Why would the boy a) want that thing anywhere near him and B) keep it as a ****ing pet?

I hate wasps. I've never been stung, but watching that doesnt bother me.

I wouldnt be in the same room as Steven though.

The Old Tolbooth
I told myself I wasn't going to watch it.

I told myself I would hate it.

I told myself no good would come out of watching that video.

I watched it. And now I feel ill. ****ing terrifying.

I cant stop laughing at that post Neave :D

Brilliant!

Sawdust Caesar

My mate's old man had a wasp nest in his hut in an allotment, he asked us to get rid of it so we used the deodorant can and lighter to burn them out. Bad idea. The nest caught fire spewing out hundreds of livid wasps hellbent on revenge, so we legged it but the fire spread to the roof of the hut, luckily another allotment user turned a water hose on the hut and tried to douse the flames. From our safe distance it looked like he was having some sort of fit as his hands were waving about like mad and the hose was spraying water everywhere but on the hut. The poor guy was being attacked by the very same insects he was trying to save from burning, the ungrateful gits.

Wasps - the skinhead of the insect world.

Glamorgan Jambo

We're quite wimpy in this country about allowing the general public to get their hands on strong pesticides. When I lived in the states you could buy from the B&Q equivalent a directional (narrow) spray which you just fired from 3 - 4 metres away and as soon as it touched the nest the little bugges fell out dead.

Having said that the powder stuff works pretty well but not nearly as much fun as watching 20 wasps falling out dead within a couple of seconds of contact.

Toxteth O'Grady

I've got rid of a 3 wasp nests

The first time I used the JohnMitchell method of whacking it into a bin liner with a stick, not recommended because a few flew away and one stung me! This nest was in a bush in the garden.

Twice after that I scooshed ant powder into the nests at night(apparently they don't sell wasp powder to the public anymore but it's the same stuff). One of these nests was in the garage and the other inside an air brick vent in the house wall.

If you do it yourself make sure it is on a cold night and you won't have any bother.

I "foamed" them this morning. Left for the gym as usual at 6:15. At that time I only saw one flying out of the brickwork. Made sure I left the car running at the bottom of the steps that lead up to the front door then zapped them from about a metre away.

I'll check what's happened tonight, but I doubt they'd be very happy. :dribble:.

Therapist 1-0 Wasps :)

Thanks for all the advice.

That foam is serious stuff. Do you think it would work on other pests like hobos? :dribble:

Therapist 1-0 Wasps :)

Thanks for all the advice.

That foam is serious stuff. Do you think it would work on other pests like hobos? :dribble:

Glad you didnt have to revert to the first idea and glad they are all gone ( for the time being):P:p:p

There's some dried-up foam residue around the vent. If they do show up again, it looks as if there's enough to deter or kill them. :)

Archived