What do you recommend?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. What do you recommend?

• Tackle it yourself, but be very careful
    • Tackle it yourself, and don't worry about a few stings
    • Get the council to sort it
    • See if there's anyone at McDiarmid Park who could handle it

Just discovered there's a wasps' nest in a vent close to my front door. :mad:

Any advice on how to tackle it? Should I try to destroy it myself , bearing in mind I could get killed or seriously hurt if they gang up on me, or do what I did last year and pay the council to deal with it?

The Old Tolbooth

Any advice on how to tackle it? Should I try to destroy it myself , bearing in mind I could get killed or seriously hurt if they gang up on me, or do what I did last year and pay the council to deal with it?

If you can get to it, then put a bag under it and knock it off into the bag, quickly tying the bag up, and then burn the thing!

If not, get the council to do it cos those are evil little mothers and need shot!

If you can get to it, then put a bag under it and knock it off into the bag, quickly tying the bag up, and then burn the thing!

If not, get the council to do it cos those are evil little mothers and need shot!

It's under the floor of Therapist Towers John. :mad: I can't get at it, only the opening.

its funny how you always stir up a wasps nest when you come on here and you now have one:p:p:p:p

good luck m8 had a bee nest last year and it was hard used foam to stop them getting into it and it worked.

good luck m8 had a bee nest last year and it was hard used foam to stop them getting into it and it worked.

Interesting idea. What kind of foam?

fire extinguisher? shaving foam

Don't have an extinguisher.

I thought about shaving foam, but wouldn't that evaporate before it did any damage?

Ted, I can't afford to run the risk of permanently blocking the vent.

I hate wasps. :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

winston churchill

i work for the cooncil mate.

phone 200 2000 and ask them to put you through to pest control.they will do the business and it wont cost you a bolt.

SMOKE? stick a fag in the vent? that helps for definate.

am 15 and i know this :)_

Cheers for the advice mate, but I have no bad habits.

i work for the cooncil mate.

phone 200 2000 and ask them to put you through to pest control.they will do the business and it wont cost you a bolt.

Cheers Jerry. They charged 75 bar last year though.

the wife? or children, that works for definate my step-mum done that when she had them.

Er, my wife doesn't smoke :rolleyes: and I don't have kids*.

* Nothing wrong with the manhood department btw.

The Old Tolbooth

Nothing wrong with wasps either, they breed fast!!!

wasps.jpg

pee in the vent lol, and light it rofl lolololololol

pee in the vent lol, and light it rofl lolololololol

chester copperpot

Hate the evil feckers. There was a nest under my mum in laws a few years ago, kept coming out the laminate flooring in the house.

Horrible horrible things. Get the pest control onto them mate, sure there's a few council one's going about that still do it. Even if you have to pay, surely worth it to get the evil feckers away.

No one post those japanese Hornet's, that will kill me.

Boab Mugabe

Had one last year up near the chimney. A bit out of the way so didn't bother doing anything, but I hate them with a passion.

If you're going to take matters into your own hands then I suggest waiting at night when they're in the nest, then dousing the blighters with liquid nitrogen if you can get your hands on it. Perhaps not the most cost-effective option, but it would be interesting to see the results. :cool:

The Old Tolbooth
Hate the evil feckers. There was a nest under my mum in laws a few years ago, kept coming out the laminate flooring in the house.

Horrible horrible things. Get the pest control onto them mate, sure there's a few council one's going about that still do it. Even if you have to pay, surely worth it to get the evil feckers away.

No one post those japanese Hornet's, that will kill me.

You mean this one mate?

agh1.jpg

:D

I suggest waiting at night when they're in the nest

I was wondering about that. I reckoned night time would be the time for an offensive, but wasn't 100% sure.

You mean this one mate?

agh1.jpg

:eek: :eek: :eek:

I had a wasp in the sleeve of my jacket once and got stung four times before I realised what was happening. Thank feck it wasn't that. :eek:

winston churchill
Cheers Jerry. They charged 75 bar last year though.

sorry it's not my department mate,i've just made a call and your right. they now charge ?69 to spray and remove it.

The Old Tolbooth

I had a wasp in the sleeve of my jacket once and got stung four times before I realised what was happening. Thank feck it wasn't that. :eek:

Mate, that beastie would have chewed your arm off!

sorry it's not my department mate,i've just made a call and your right. they now charge ?69 to spray and remove it.

No probs.

You mean this one mate?

agh1.jpg

I actually cramp up when I look at that. Pretty much bent double with the heebie-jeebies.

You, sir, are a knob.

The Old Tolbooth
I actually cramp up when I look at that. Pretty much bent double with the heebie-jeebies.

You, sir, are a knob.

:rofl:

Jambof3tornado

You wouldnt fit your arm in your sleeve if one of those fekkers was in it!!!:eek:

chester copperpot
You mean this one mate?

agh1.jpg

I really hate you. And that was before I saw that pic you posted. ;)

The Old Tolbooth
I really hate you. And that was before I saw that pic you posted. ;)

I'm popular tonight eh, first Neave and now you :D

I think Therapist is fascinated with them now :)

Pour some of your Tescos Tequila on it and light it :)

Doctor FinnBarr

Do not do what my old man did and put on my full facer (like wasps can,t get into them) and poked it with a stick! He was lucky, they got quite upset!

:confused:

Pour some of your Tescos Tequila on it and light it :)

I'll remember that when you try to blag your way into my next cup final champagne breakfast. :sad:

chester copperpot
I'll remember that when you try to blag your way into my next cup final champagne breakfast. :sad:

Haha.

mandarinia2.jpg

I have done a couple on my own, one was a bit difficult to reach. First off I wore long sleeves with gloves, taped my wrists so they could not get in the gloves or the sleeves. Waited to late evening, then used the foam which actually seals the entrances they use, then peeled it off gently into a full bucket of water.

What I did learn to watch for is if it was not late enough in the day it was like the buggers had sentries. When I got down to examine the nest a wasp appeared from nowhere started buzzing around me closely followed by a bunch coming from the nest.

It may be worth the money if its in a diffcult spot, because if you do it wrong and they come after you it can be a problem.

Destroy it?! Don't do that! Invite them in and have a good old conversation about being Proddies!

Cairneyhill Jambo

Phone up your local gamekeeper and ask them for some illegal Cymag. :whistling:

100% effective in 1 minute.

Just don't breathe it in or you'll have to stab a syringe of adrenalin into the heart Pulp Fiction style.

Phone up your local gamekeeper and ask them for some illegal Cymag.

Don't want to contact him just yet after we poisoned those three golden eagles last month.

Don't want to contact him just yet after we poisoned those three golden eagles last month.

already got it ordered for you ;););)

Doctor FinnBarr

Oh oh, controversial!

:rolleyes:

I P Knightley

Had one in the kids' playhouse last summer.

Got a tin of wasp spray from B&Q;

covered myself from head to foot - couldn't find anything 100% for the face but had a swimming cap on, goggles & wrapped a scarf round my mouth.

Approached carefully, took aim, fired (Straight into the hole) and ran like Linford Christie.

Repeated a few times until the tin was near empty then hit the nest to bits with a 9-iron.

Didn't look daft at all.

jambos are go!

I've used the powder mentioned before successfully a couple of times. Just puff it around the entrance and its carried back into the nest and posons them. Worked for me but the Council is the best option.

Archived