New Stand: Ongoing work (updated)

Clerry Jambo

Is all the griping based on that one picture from this Fozzy character? Serious question.

Firstly the view isn't to bad , secondly if looks like it has been taken to deliberately squue the view and make it appear worse than it actually is to encourage the debate and thirdly I expect the view to be acceptable to most patrons .

Looks a non issue to me , but nitpickers gonna nitpick.

This photo:

post-711-0-10552300-1499768549.jpg

Not too late to pull this back.

Mr S.....get yor camera oot !

Working today mate so I'll try and get doon, although whether this greetin-fest can be turned around I dunno!

Working today mate so I'll try and get doon, although whether this greetin-fest can be turned around I dunno!

I am fast reaching that conclusion Sif!

Francis Albert

The mosaic was not an Archibald Leitch feature. It was laid in the early 1930s as part of improvements to the stand.

Thanks. I didn't know that. (My know it all status takes a knock!) My source was Simon Inglis's "Engineering Archie" the definitive (I thought) work on Leitch. To quote the caption to a photo of the mosaic "A typical mosaic welcome in the entrance to Leitch's McLeod Street Stand, Tynecastle, one of only two examples known to survive. (The other is at Ibrox)." So maybe at least in the style of Leitch?

Francis Albert

I'd tend to agree with this - were it not for the fact that Thomaso has confirmed that there is definitely an issue with the lack of anticipated skyline view.

He said Ann was disappointed. Negative mad Budge oot!

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Anyone know what the next big items are on the schedule? Sorry I may have missed in between feeding times, nappy change and play hour

David McCaig

I don't often feel the need to comment on a fellow Jambo but in your case I'll make an exception.

There's nothing like a smart arse coming along with the benefit of hindsight to offer their 'expert' views. Unless I'm mistaken, you have no insider insight into what was investigated prior to planning or the restrictions the club worked under.

In what way am I being a smart arse? My comments were in response to comments that the club itself was surprised at the actual view relative to the artist's impression that they themselves released.

I have no inside knowledge or technical insight, I just mistakenly assumed the club would have used a drone/cherry-picker/very long selfie stick to check the view from the proposed height!!

It's not the end of the world, the stand still looks amazing, but in respect of the Skyline Lounge there has clearly been a screw up.

In what way am I being a smart arse? My comments were in response to comments that the club itself was surprised at the actual view relative to the artist's impression that they themselves released.

I have no inside knowledge or technical insight, I just mistakenly assumed the club would have used a drone/cherry-picker/very long selfie stick to check the view from the proposed height!!

It's not the end of the world, the stand still looks amazing, but in respect of the Skyline Lounge there has clearly been a screw up.

I find it hard to believe this is an oversight. I think the view was always going to be a cherry on top which turned out not to be possible presumably due to height restrictions.

Edited by kila

Thanks. I didn't know that. (My know it all status takes a knock!) My source was Simon Inglis's "Engineering Archie" the definitive (I thought) work on Leitch. To quote the caption to a photo of the mosaic "A typical mosaic welcome in the entrance to Leitch's McLeod Street Stand, Tynecastle, one of only two examples known to survive. (The other is at Ibrox)." So maybe at least in the style of Leitch?

y

Don't worry about it FA - we can't be right all the time - even you......;-)

Straightfromtheheart

I find it hard to believe this is an oversight. I think the view was always going to be a cherry picker on top which turned out not to be possible presumably due to height restrictions.

ftfy

I find it hard to believe this is an oversight. I think the view was always going to be a cherry on top which turned out not to be possible presumably due to height restrictions.

The height restrictions aren't to blame. The skyline lounge or whatever it's called is not the highest point of the structure. The stand behind it is higher.

What restaurant idea?? It will be used on match days and for private functions. It was never the intention to open it as a restaurant to the public outwith these periods.

Gutted. That's next year's birthday plans blown out of the water.

Think the view will be better in person but in all honesty, I couldn't give a flying.

What I think should be getting attention is the fact we've built a brand new stand where there appears to be a few seats too many with a restricted view! Thought the capacity lacked any real ambition in the first place but to hear it won't even get past the 20k mark is frankly ridiculous.

And if it is to open for the visit of the sheep, we need to expect minor miracles.

Hearts Heritage

The cement gattu was laid down in August 1929 and the mosaic added in February 1931.

19904902_10212404747970219_4492150002293

The Treasurer

Is the new stand being built for a fleeting view of the castle while someone is in the restaurant, or is it being primarily built to create an arena to watch football..........

TBF, sometimes last season the only thing worth looking at was the view of the castle from the Wheatfield Stand  :oldsad: 

gerryjambo41

Dave , bet I get a much better view of the skyline seeing as you're a short arse :D

image.png

The seemingly 3- or 4-storey buildings in the foreground, which the camera angle is towering above might have been a give away that this view was somewhat unrealistic!

Does anyone recognise where the photo will have been taken from? I think there may be a slight chance Tynecastle itself wouldn't be a million miles from being in there somewhere.

David McCaig

Dave , bet I get a much better view of the skyline seeing as you're a short arse :D

To be fair Gerry, at your height the artist's impression is probably your actual view...lol.

Gutted. That's next year's birthday plans blown out of the water.

You've got loads of pals - book it for a big party

Think the view will be better in person but in all honesty, I couldn't give a flying.

What I think should be getting attention is the fact we've built a brand new stand where there appears to be a few seats too many with a restricted view! Thought the capacity lacked any real ambition in the first place but to hear it won't even get past the 20k mark is frankly ridiculous.

And if it is to open for the visit of the sheep, we need to expect minor miracles.

Minor miracles ? First I've heard , thought it was on schedule

This is the skyline view we would have been expecting: 

C9tfUIgXYAA4LzQ.jpg

Somehow the lounge has been built at height lower than the point in the Wheatfield from where this was taken.

Edited by Ray Gin

Ground levels photos only eh !

You'll get a better view than anyone, cloud-muncher !

:toff:

siegementality

Anyone able to tell me what is next in the schedule?

More greeting I would think if the last dozen pages are anything to go by.

Mars plastic

I'll have a stab. Not because I know the programme mind.

Founds to go in for the steel

Steel to be erected

Pre cast for the seats to go in.

Roof on

Get it weatherproofed. Once that's done then the m&e and fit out trades can go hell for leather

First fix plumbing has already started I believe as had the containment for the electrics

Forming the areas on the first floor

First fix electrics

Installation of the toilets

Wall cladding

2nd fix m&e

Flooring in the kiosks

Kiosk fit out

Ceilings

Joinery & decoration

Paint the floor

Commission & handover

And 7000 seats to be installed.....

I'll have no doubt missed a few things in there...

Thomaso, your informed comments that you share are greatly appreciated! Don't let the idiots distract you from the day job - less than 2 months to complete the job!

Your comments and the pictures shared by so many keep us fully engaged.

There's only one castle I would ever want to see in Gorgie and that's TYNECASTLE not Edinburgh Castle!!

Sifter needs to get one of these

q3rwr.png

That would blow my "aye, it's no very far as the crow flies hen, but..." line oot the water :-)

Is all the griping based on that one picture from this Fozzy character? Serious question.

Firstly the view isn't to bad , secondly if looks like it has been taken to deliberately squue the view and make it appear worse than it actually is to encourage the debate and thirdly I expect the view to be acceptable to most patrons .

Looks a non issue to me , but nitpickers gonna nitpick.

I didn't post any pictures only copied one from earlier and said that I could see the castle on it.

Some folk need to calm the fek doon about all this. Its hysteria from some about the square root of fek all.

I'm not too familiar with the intricacies of the design, but is it not possible that there could be a second terrace on top of the restaurant?

alwaysthereinspirit

C9tfUIgXYAA4LzQ.jpg

Somehow the lounge has been built at height lower than the point in the Wheatfield from where this was taken.

I would hazard a guess that is pretty much the exact same view we will see from the lounge. Obviously a 100 yards closer. The original photo was taken looking down slightly and at the base of the most outside wall.

I didn't post any pictures only copied one from earlier and said that I could see the castle on it.

Some folk need to calm the fek doon about all this. Its hysteria from some about the square root of fek all.

Wasn't a dig at you lad , the rest of your post is spot on , much ado about nothing

kingantti1874

I would hazard a guess that is pretty much the exact same view we will see from the lounge. Obviously a 100 yards closer. The original photo was taken looking down slightly and at the base of the most outside wall.

Spot on..some folk on here are absolutely nuts..

Edited by kingantti1874

sairyinthat

Think you need to address that comment to a few others on here!

Relax Thomaso your input is well appreciated.

The Future's Maroon

The concrete, for foundations pitch side, was being started today, with the steel erectors quickly following the groundworkers as they go over next couple of weeks.

They have to make sure the area is safe for the game against Newcastle....can't have a player running off the side of the pitch into a fence/building site/rubble....so that is the priority at the moment.

The Future's Maroon

Anyway let's get back on topic. Where's the photo updates?

I think I said this last night, we are going to struggle with photo updates now, with the majority of work now being done pitch side. I wouldn't assume we will see too much from McLeod St in coming weeks.

Someone asked about if the stand will be ready for Aberdeen game, according to my mate working there the answer is yes...it will be ready for fans to sit on seats for games.....it will be far from finished though as that carries on for a good six months after the Aberdeen game.

I would hazard a guess that is pretty much the exact same view we will see from the lounge. Obviously a 100 yards closer. The original photo was taken looking down slightly and at the base of the most outside wall.

I would hazard a guess it won't be given that Thomaso has confirmed that Budge and co have been up, expecting that view and being thoroughly disappointed when they realised the school was in the way of the castle, unless you are standing on the right hand side of the roof terrace.

FFS Thomaso! Calm down! :laugh:

It's not Thomaso who needs to calm down.

Thomaso has done his best to keep us all up to date to the best of his knowledge.

It seems there are those amongst us who for some reason like to spread negativety and jump on every little set back to turn it into a major issue.

Then when they get pulled up about it start greeting about not being allowed an opinion. As if anyone could stop them.

The mosaic was not an Archibald Leitch feature. It was laid in the early 1930s as part of improvements to the stand.

What, our resident self-styled amateur architect doesn't know what he's talking about after all?

Maybe now you've made an archie of yourself you, and all the other armchair experts, general curmudgeons and wibblewibble.net infiltrators, will give it a rest for a while. Stuff like the roof-top patio and other trappings are the icing on the cake, not the raison d'etre for the stand build. We will have a completed stadium which will be a cohesive design creating a superb amphitheatre atmosphere and we will have significantly improved facilities for the fans, the team, the club and for corporate offerings. 

This project is extremely ambitious, subject to extreme restrictions (which would not magically disappear 2 years into the future) and was an opportunity that the club could not resist. And to do this build with such minimal disruption in readyness for next season, is a superb feat of project management and engineering.

Since Robinson and his awful stewardship, and through the roller-coaster years under Romanov, we were always on the precipice of disaster. Now we have bounced back in rude health, in no short thanks to the most loyal fans in Scotland, and every fan of the club should be proud of their contribution to their club and extremely proud of the new stand and completed stadium. 

Discussion of the build and aspect thereof are interesting, but let's leave the aggressive sniping to jealous hibbies, where it belongs. 

Onwards and upwards, imo. 

FTH. 

IMG_7995_zpsyofzxyg6.jpg

:heart:  :heart:  :heart:  :heart:

Edited by Gizmo

C9tfUIgXYAA4LzQ.jpg

This image shows the floor levels compared to the floodlight pylons.

19756601_10213571093222682_4639162841994

For me it looks like the floor level is about in line with the 2nd "square" down in the pylon, beloq the lowest beam on the truss. Actually sitting below the height of the old Main stand.

You can see the stairs that will lead to the top of the stand which will take you to the height of your photo d

Ray gin.

Edited by hughesie27

Spot on..some folk on here are absolutely nuts..

So, the guy heavily involved in the facade, who is probably up and down on a scissor lift daily and who has no doubt stood on the terrace and in the spot where the restaurant will be, has confirmed that the view the mock ups promised will not be delivered.

Yet, 3 pages later, people who say "we are disappointed about this confirmed fact" are nuts, not the people who are denying reality.

The fact is, we have 2 photos from the terrace. One, presumably from around the centre showing a very restricted view of the castle and one from the right hand side of the terrace where it is visible.

Neither are anything like the photo above you are referring to.

I agree that we have to get on with it, I understand the reasons why it's happened given the tight timescales and I don't approve of the people giving Thomaso or anyone else involved in the project a hard time.

There are too many know it all's on this thread, but there are also too many people denying reality.