Under 20's v Motherwell

Four faces

stirlingshirejambo

I see Ewan Murray on twitter saying how well Oshinawa played at left mid and what a great help he was to the full back

Footballfirst

Anyone attend?.If so,any good displays?.I know we won 1 nil.Muirhead with the goal.

Yes I was there.

Hearts line up was

Noring

Jones, Ozturk, Nowak, Reid

Morrisson (Roy) Vladislav, Gillan, Oshaniwa

Murhead, Currie (McLean)

Despite the dreary conditions at a half-lit Excelsior stadium, it was an entertaining game.

Motherwell started the brighter and were given a soft penalty by the ref for holding by Jones at acorner, although no-one claimed for it.  The pen was poorly struck though and Noring saved easily to his left,

Hearts started to get in the game when Muirhead found that he had the pace to beat the defence, so we saw a number of balls over the top for him and Currie to run onto.  Hearts goal came from that tactic when Muirhead beat the keeper to a long ball from Ozturk to knock the ball into the net.

Hearts had their best spell up to half time and might have had at least one other goal when a Muirhead shot from 25 yards was finger-tipped onto the inside of the post by the Motherwell keeper.

Motherwell pushed forward more in the second half but found the Hearts defence to be solid.  I can recall one good save by Noring with his feet, but other than that it was routine stuff for the big keeper.

For a change there were no passengers in the Hearts side.  I thought both full backs did particularly well, Aaron Reid in particular handled the threat of Dom Thomas superbly i what was his best game for a few weeks.  Even Oshaniwa had one of his more productive games.  Muirhead was excellent in the first half with his runs in behind the defence, although he tended to play deeper in the second. 

Hearts deserved their win but given they played five overage player to Motherwell's two, it wasn't really a surprise.

Funtime Jambo

Anyone attend?.If so,any good displays?.I know we won 1 nil.Muirhead with the goal.

Great team performance,every player done well against a very good Motherwell team.

Footballfirst

Re the absentees last night, I believe that Jamie Brandon is out for a couple of months with a knee injury, Marcus Godinho may have a hamstring(?) problem, Harry Paton was ill and Alex Petkov is away with Bulgaria U19s for their UEFA qualifying.

Daniel Baur is likely to miss most of the season with his knee problem. Angus Beith and Dario Zanatta are both on emergency loans, so can't play, although Dario is away with Canada U20s in Honduras in any event. 

Yes I was there.

Hearts line up was

Noring

Murhead, Currie (McLean)

Despite the dreary conditions at a half-lit Excelsior stadium, it was an entertaining game.

Motherwell started the brighter and were given a soft penalty by the ref for holding by Jones at acorner, although no-one claimed for it. The pen was poorly struck though and Noring saved easily to his left,

Hearts started to get in the game when Muirhead found that he had the pace to beat the defence, so we saw a number of balls over the top for him and Currie to run onto. Hearts goal came from that tactic when Muirhead beat the keeper to a long ball from Ozturk to knock the ball into the net.

Hearts had their best spell up to half time and might have had at least one other goal when a Muirhead shot from 25 yards was finger-tipped onto the inside of the post by the Motherwell keeper.

Motherwell pushed forward more in the second half but found the Hearts defence to be solid. I can recall one good save by Noring with his feet, but other than that it was routine stuff for the big keeper.

For a change there were no passengers in the Hearts side. I thought both full backs did particularly well, Aaron Reid in particular handled the threat of Dom Thomas superbly i what was his best game for a few weeks. Even Oshaniwa had one of his more productive games. Muirhead was excellent in the first half with his runs in behind the defence, although he tended to play deeper in the second.

Hearts deserved their win but given they played five overage player to Motherwell's two, it wasn't really a surprise.

How was Nowak?

Yes I was there.

Hearts line up was

Noring

Murhead, Currie (McLean)

Motherwell started the brighter and were given a soft penalty by the ref for holding by Jones at acorner, although no-one claimed for it. The pen was poorly struck though and Noring saved easily to his left,

Hearts started to get in the game when Muirhead found that he had the pace to beat the defence, so we saw a number of balls over the top for him and Currie to run onto. Hearts goal came from that tactic when Muirhead beat the keeper to a long ball from Ozturk to knock the ball into the net.

Motherwell pushed forward more in the second half but found the Hearts defence to be solid. I can recall one good save by Noring with his feet, but other than that it was routine stuff for the big keeper.

For a change there were no passengers in the Hearts side. I thought both full backs did particularly well, Aaron Reid in particular handled the threat of Dom Thomas superbly i what was his best game for a few weeks. Even Oshaniwa had one of his more productive games. Muirhead was excellent in the first half with his runs in behind the defence, although he tended to play deeper in the second.

Might seem a silly question, but is Muirhead a stand out at this level? Would like to see him being given a few games starting as centre forward in first team. Just hope he's not another player like Kevin Thomas who despite being a cut above at this level could never really push on to be a regular first team player with Hearts.

Footballfirst

How was Nowak?

Quietly competent last night. Nothing of note either positive or negative.  Good back-up for the centre-back spots, and can do a job at right back too.

So was Oshaniwa very good or just not shite?

It will take more than anything he might have done against Motherwell U20s to convince me he is anything other than.

It will take more than anything he might have done against Motherwell U20s to convince me he is anything other than.

Okay, cheers. :thumbsup:

Anyone able to answer my question? A few folk I know have suggested playing him further forward in the past. Would be keen to know how he got on there, against a side that someone above described as quite strong. Ta.

It's a good result. First teamers coming in doesn't always mean better performance. This is a good Motherwell team.

Maybe signs of how first team will be playing over winter - long.

Footballfirst

So was Oshaniwa very good or just not shite?

He was decent in what was a decent team performance. 

If you had seen him in his previous outings you would call last night's performance an incredible transformation.

If he played as he did last night every week, then you would have no issue with him returning to first team action, but he will have to achieve some consistency before that happens.  The only consistency he has shown to date is how ineffective he has been.

He was decent in what was a decent team performance.

If you had seen him in his previous outings you would call last night's performance an incredible transformation.

If he played as he did last night every week, then you would have no issue with him returning to first team action, but he will have to achieve some consistency before that happens. The only consistency he has shown to date is how ineffective he has been.

Cheers.

Footballfirst

How did lad Currie do?

He did ok, but it was one of his quieter games. 

I still think he needs to be stronger when in possession of the ball, but that can be improved upon.

The coaching staff seem to like him though in that they see him as having good vision and pace.

orchardmaroon

That's probably fair from what I have seen - but certainly looks like he has something so keen to hear progress.

Irving not playing? He has been decent lately. Pleased to hear Reid done well as thought he has potential but not heard so much lately.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Footballfirst

Mason Vladislav Reid Jones K Smith paton Morrison Irving Currie McLean Trialist (Ackers)

Subs Gallacher Roy Leonard Gillan Cochrane

disgruntledfan

FF, any chance of you getting hold of the Hearts Twitter account, so you can post updates. 

The coverage from us is truly appalling for the Under 20s.

Footballfirst

FF, any chance of you getting hold of the Hearts Twitter account, so you can post updates.

The coverage from us is truly appalling for the Under 20s.

Raise it at the AGM.

Footballfirst

Cheers! You have the Saints team aswell?

Willison Macpherson Stewart Fawkes McKendry Mcdonald Gallagher McLear Orsi OKeefe Flanagan.

disgruntledfan

Willison Macpherson Stewart Fawkes McKendry Mcdonald Gallagher McLear Orsi OKeefe Flanagan.

Is that Nathan Flanagan ?

Footballfirst

Is that Nathan Flanagan ?

Yes. Three overage players in the Saints side.

They have had a goal chalked off for offside and Paton has had a shot saved thus far.

Footballfirst

A minute before the goal the ref bottled a red card decision as Currie would have been clear in on goal had he not been tripped by their centre back.

Footballfirst

Saints coaching staff are Andy Webster and Alan McManus. Jack Ross is also here.

Unusually Craig Levien isn't, apparently after an all day session yesterday.

Oshinawa is a far better player than he's portrayed to be on here. This place has become about who can be the most disparaging about him as though some form of contest. Blissfully forgetting he's our player and we should be supportive if him.

I would like to see him get a chance. Perhaps after January he could be at left back with Rherras at right back.

Oshinawa is a better left back than Rherras imo.

Some of the abuse dished out to him has been disgraceful

Saints coaching staff are Andy Webster and Alan McManus. Jack Ross is also here.

Unusually Craig Levien isn't, apparently after an all day session yesterday.

All day session - football, drinking or gambling? Or a combination of all 3

Oshinawa is a far better player than he's portrayed to be on here. This place has become about who can be the most disparaging about him as though some form of contest. Blissfully forgetting he's our player and we should be supportive if him.

I would like to see him get a chance. Perhaps after January he could be at left back with Rherras at right back.

I'll support him if he plays and obviously want him to do well but let's be honest. He's been truly awful and given the chat that he's one of the biggest, if not our highest, earner then he's been horrific value for money.

As I say I'll support him if he plays but the fact that Neilson played Liam Smith, am inexperienced right back ahead of Oshaniwa at LB speaks volumes. There's a huge difference between looking decent for the under 20's and in the first team where the opposition are better and there's far more pressure to do well in front of fans.

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Not imo but I understand your position. If he was up to it he would be involved.

It's not cool these days to support the team, much more clever to abuse

Toxteth O'Grady

All day session - football, drinking or gambling? Or a combination of all 3

A good chance he'd have been at Musselburgh races today

I'll support him if he plays and obviously want him to do well but let's be honest. He's been truly awful and given the chat that he's one of the biggest, if not our highest, earner then he's been horrific value for money.

As I say I'll support him if he plays but the fact that Neilson played Liam Smith, am inexperienced right back ahead of Oshaniwa at LB speaks volumes. There's a huge difference between looking decent for the under 20's and in the first team where the opposition are better and there's far more pressure to do well in front of fans.

We've got a guy on this thread who says we're statistically better when Ozturk is in the back four. I wonder how the stats read when Oshinawa plays

He's not had a great chance if we're really honest

Ah Ozturk again and the undeniable truth that we're better than Barcelona when he plays

So you're saying we shouldn't boo Oshaniwa because he's a Hearts player, but Ozturk is fair game?

[emoji23]

We've got a guy on this thread who says we're statistically better when Ozturk is in the back four. I wonder how the stats read when Oshinawa plays

He's not had a great chance if we're really honest

Oshaniwa has had a fair crack, needs to improve a lot n not sure he will.

Footballfirst

Not a great performance tonight. The defence looked shaky throughout and it was if a bomb scare moment was just around the corner.

In the first half Saints striker Lewis McLear had a goal chalked off for offside, then hurled abuse at the assistant ref, but no action was taken against him (it was an almsost identical situation to what Jason Cummings was sent off for in an U20 game last week).  It suggested that the ref was weak and it was to prove that way when he bottled a red card decision later in the game.

Harry Paton then had an effort from the edge of the box the was headed for the top corner but the keeper got across to save.

Nathan Flanagan hit the post and had another effort saved by Mason as Saints looked to have the edge attacking wise.

However Rory Currie looked to have been brought down by Saints centre back Andrew McDonald when he was clear in on goal about 30 yards out.  It looked a clear red card decsion, but the ref gave a yellow.

A minute later Hearts too the lead. Callumn Morrison supplied the pass to Zidan Akers at the edge of the box and the winger struck his shot hard and low just inside the right hand post.

The second half started much like the first with St Mirren having the best of the play and Hearts defence creaking.  They were given a warning when a McDonald header from a corner was blocked at point blank range by Mason.

Just when Hearts looked as though they were getting some measure of control back into the game another couple of pieces of poor play cost them the game.  First McLean lost possession of the ball about 30 yards out and the ball was played quickly to McLear who was unmarked at the edge of the box and he knocked the ball past Mason's right hand and into the corner of the net.

Two minutes later the Hearts defence went awol at a corner and McLear was left unmaked on the six yard line and knocked the ball high past Mason.

Injuries and substitutions saw Paton, Vladislav and Smith go off for Cochrane, Gilland and Leonard respectively, The last substitution saw McLean drop back to centre back.

In the closing minutes, Hearts had a couple of half chances to equalise, but it was not to be.

I don't think that there were any good performances from anyone in a Hearts shirt that were worthy of giving a MOTM.  Rory Currie went closest to scoring in the second half with a shot from 20 yards that just went wide after a good run coming in off the left flank but that was about it.

I mis-read the team sheet earlier. Zidan Akers is not 18 until the 14th Dec and not today.  Despite the goal he had a quiet game.  Early on he looked to have the pace to trouble the Saints defence but looked uncomfortable playing on the left.  John Daly obviously saw that too so he switched wings midway through the first half.  He took his goal well, but thereafter didn't really get involved too much.  He will need to learn to go to the ball a bit more as he lost out a few times to the defender nicking the ball just as he looked to receive a pass.

Archived