Tony Watt out Wide

That-Day-In-May

That-Day-In-May

Was thinking this while at the game today. In my opinion, we lost the first two goals due to us having too many central midfielders on the park and only one wide player in Walker, meaning that Paterson and Rherras were exposed and Caley exploited. Being a young supporter, I struggle to remember a better player with the ball at his feet than Watt, and then when he gets into a goal scoring position there's nothing, his deliveries from corners were also pretty good today. Could this mean that he could be an effective wide player? With his mentality he'd maybe not be one for tracking back but it would surely be worth a try as him up top sadly isn't really working. HHGH!

Jambof3tornado

Not positionally disciplined enough.

Off a main striker for me.

Could he not be drilled discipline wise? Even during a match he could be reminded of his responsibilities.

No 10 for me but pretty sure he could play wide.

Number 10 with a free-ish role but don't let him drop off as far as he has been doing. Gets in Djoum's space and leaves the other striker isolated.

A_A wehatethehibs

I think he could convert to a winger. Probably worth a punt at some point while nicholson is out. Not sure if he can cross it though

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Was thinking the same last night, has skill to skin most defenders, love to try it but would our coach, doubt it.

The same coach who said this week he had a free role?

Zero credibility to this type of post

Dropping watt instead of being able to use his talents is a major flaw in our game. He looks like a No10 to me and would then suit being part of a 3 man central midfield.

I've been saying Watt should be on the wing for a few weeks now. In my opinion his decision making (or lack of) is his biggest flaw. Shoots when he should pass, passes when he should shoot or tries to beat an extra player too many.

Put him on the wing and his decisions are easier. Beat the man and cross or cut in and shoot/pass.

The same coach who said this week he had a free role?

Zero credibility to this type of post

Why are no English teams looking at this managerial heavyweight if he's as great as you make out?

Unless you are Robbie, or a member of the Neilson family your absolute devotion and blinkeredness are a real worry.

Another thread about a player morphs into a Neilson bash.

Player. Yes he has to play. On the balance of the player's attributes and weaknesses and our squad's strengths and shortages, I agree that him playing as a winger has a lot going for it. Not quite sure which side would be better but I'm leaning towards left side. Not sure either about what general formation would suit it best. Maybe a 4-1-4-1.

Hamilton

Paterson Souttar Rossi Rherras

Kitchen

Walker Cowie Djoum Watt

Striker

Balanced. Accomodates the 5 midfielders. Keeps Watt in creative positions and in touch with the other attacking players.

I think he could convert to a winger. Probably worth a punt at some point while nicholson is out. Not sure if he can cross it though

He's too greedy and would always drift inside.

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Why are no English teams looking at this managerial heavyweight if he's as great as you make out?

Unless you are Robbie, or a member of the Neilson family your absolute devotion and blinkeredness are a real worry.

A real worry third in the league? Zero credibility post.

Where is the quote about the managerial heavyweight or are you away with the fairies. . . . Again

He's too greedy and would always drift inside.

That's what Jamie & Sam do 9/10. I wish they'd hit the bye line more often. Johnsens goal v Dundee came from a great Walker cross

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That-Day-In-May

Djoum is he best player in our team to play as a number 10. He's good with the ball at his feet, has a good shot on him, can find a pass, is an threat in the box and can cover the pitch. So many people say we need an attaching midfielder but we've got one, just wish Neilson would realise he isn't a right midfielder! Only way Watt will be successful for Hearts is if starts to play like Walker and Nicholson, if he tracked back we'd have a real asset in him.

A real worry third in the league? Zero credibility post.

Where is the quote about the managerial heavyweight or are you away with the fairies. . . . Again

No chance were you at Kilmarnock or Inverness, I was at both. I reckon that makes me more qualified to discuss his tactical prowess of late, which has been utter toilet.

I can see the positives of what Robbie Neilson has done. You are utterly, deliberately ignorant of the negatives. That's the difference between us.

Watt out wide wouldn't work. No danger he would track back or give any cover to his full back, he had to play off a main striker

Does not raise his head enough to pick out a pass for me to be a number 10.

Sums it up.

It's also why he's at Hearts. :lol:

Great talent. But that's his shortcoming.

Lord Beni of Gorgie

No chance were you at Kilmarnock or Inverness, I was at both. I reckon that makes me more qualified to discuss his tactical prowess of late, which has been utter toilet.

I can see the positives of what Robbie Neilson has done. You are utterly, deliberately ignorant of the negatives. That's the difference between us.

No. The difference between me and you is context. You have none. You can't see beyond the surface I am afraid. Don't worry you are not alone.

No. The difference between me and you is context. You have none. You can't see beyond the surface I am afraid. Don't worry you are not alone.

Well let's put it this way, you've been unable to contextualise any success Neilson has had in charge of Hearts, preferring to use stats independent of any context. Doesn't fit your narrative I'm afraid.

Number 10 with a free-ish role but don't let him drop off as far as he has been doing. Gets in Djoum's space and leaves the other striker isolated.

Djoum has scored twice as many goals as Watt, and that's playing as a midfielder. Jonsen has scored twice as many league goals as Sammon with a third of the starts.

Dloum further forward as a number 10 behind Jonsen. Watt has the makings of an attacking midfielder beside a defensive Kitchen. Width provided by Walker/Cowie/Buaben/Muirehead/. Alternatives to Jonsen would be Sammon/Muirhead- until we can do somethinfg about strikers in the transfer window.

Archived