To go or not to go to watch Hearts away from home

Maroon Sailor

Maroon Sailor

I could have went to the match last night but decided not to.

Dare say I wasn't the only one who didn't fancy it.

You just know what you are getting with Hearts, it's painful to watch and I had a feeling it would be grim.

Forget the result as sometimes you don't get what you deserve but it's just so boring and predictable ... as are the excuses.

I was at the Motherwell game and will usually take in another small number of away games throughout the season. I went to the Motherwell one because I have a friend who lives there and it was a chance to catch up. Other away games will either be for similar reasons, or cup games. I enjoy away games, but as I also have a young family, I am able to put football in to context and do not wish to spend every weekend away from my wife and young daughter. Despite this, I have had a season ticket for about ten years in the current location, and others before that, as well as being a walk up in times when I was harder up for cash.

Maroon Sailor

I just feel Hearts fans are getting short changed on the road and deserve better.

I've always preferred away games to home games but last night was predictably sterile.

Son Of Anarchy

Never go to Killie. Stopped years ago and its still the same as always,shite trip shite game, shitehole. Same with Perth.Enjoy Aberdeen/Ross county/Invernness and chose which games I'll go to as don't throw money when its tight.

I just feel Hearts fans are getting short changed on the road and deserve better.

I've always preferred away games to home games but last night was predictably sterile.

Maybe. I wasn't there so I can't say. Last home game was a pretty good atmosphere though, despite being in a similarly bleak and grim part of the country... maybe it was helped by being on a Friday and is winning convincingly.

Not sure... Could it also be down to interpretation of atmosphere by the individual, determined by personal mood at the time?

Will be doing the 300+mile round trip to Inversneckie on saturday,if its the usual fare,then will probably give away games a miss,until spring perhaps as expensive time of year approaching. Be tough abstaining though.

Going to Inverness on Saturday.

Have never chosen games based on entertainment value, always on whether or not I've got the time and money to go see my team.

Maybe. I wasn't there so I can't say. Last away game was a pretty good atmosphere though, despite being in a similarly bleak and grim part of the country... maybe it was helped by being on a Friday and is winning convincingly.

Not sure... Could it also be down to interpretation of atmosphere by the individual, determined by personal mood at the time?

FTFmyself. Meant the last away game, not home game.

Saturday will be my last for a while.

You spend a decent amount of money and it's frustrating enough to listen to a game unfold on the radio.

If you were guaranteed at least effort each away game I'd go to every single one.

Going to Inverness on Saturday.

Have never chosen games based on entertainment value, always on whether or not I've got the time and money to go see my team.

This.

If it was down to entertainment, I wouldn't go at all.

There is a compulsion to go and watch Hearts....probably the same for most supporters.

Going to Inverness on Saturday. Working most weekends dictates when I can get to see hearts, so when I can I will go. Have followed though both the good and bad times. I am just glad we have a team to follow after what we went through.

Maroon Sailor

This.

There is a compulsion to go and watch Hearts....probably the same for most supporters.

Obviously not the case last night

3,917 says it all

Dr. Sheldon Cooper

If you can afford it I don't see why you wouldn't want to go.

There will be plenty folk out there (including myself) who won't even waste time thinking about it. If I'm able and can afford to go then I'll be at the game and I'm sure there are many others in the same boat as me.

I'm going to Inverness on Saturday and a performance and result similar to last night won't stop me from going to the next away game. I've only started going to away games regularly in the last five years or so and still get the buzz every Saturday regardless of how we are performing.

We've got a core home support and we've got a core away support. I can't see that changing any time soon.

Could have went but Hearts away are hurting my eyes tbh. Dam awful football. Kids training makes midweek games impossible at times but not last night. Could have scripted it like many others tbh

Been to Partick, Perth and Well. Going to Hamilton but more as a day out with the kids - the game sometimes gets in the way of an enjoyable afternoon.

It's always been about more than football for me. I don't go to all away games, but when I do, it's about the day out with friends and my sons. A good performance and victory certainly makes things better, but there's more to it than that.

We go home and away. After last night I am having serious thougts about picking and choosing the away games. If the players can't be arsed, why should I make the painful trip to Inverness and back?

Last night typified recent matches, particularly away ones.

No pride, no passion, no urgency, no intensity, no inspiration and very little perspiration!

We must me the easiest team in the league to defend against. Sideways and backwatd tippy tappy crap is doing my head in. If we're gonna get pumped, at least do it having a go!

Was there and it made for painful viewing.The whole performance was just flat. Fans at least deserve some effort as football away days are quite costly.

Maroon Sailor

We go home and away. After last night I am having serious thougts about picking and choosing the away games. If the players can't be arsed, why should I make the painful trip to Inverness and back?

Last night typified recent matches, particularly away ones.

No pride, no passion, no urgency, no intensity, no inspiration and very little perspiration!

We must me the easiest team in the league to defend against. Sideways and backwatd tippy tappy crap is doing my head in. If we're gonna get pumped, at least do it having a go!

Good post

There's always the danger with threads like this of fans making it out to be a badge of honour type thing.

I went up to Dingwall on a Wednesday night in February last season and looked forward to it. I just never got the same vibe to go to Kilmarnock last night and can't say I made the wrong decision.

Interesting to note there were only 600 more fans at Rugby Park last night than were at that match in Dingwall.

Other than the desperate times in the relegation season and the good times in the championship season it's been pretty dire away from home for a long time. Almost back to the Burley era and that only lasted three months if that. Away games under Valdas, Sergio, JJ second time around were tedious to say the least. At one stage we had about three away wins in 40 or 50 odd matches if I remember correctly.

Been a regular at away games for a long time but this season it's becoming harder to convince myself to make the effort. Aberdeen, Inverness, Dingwall don't do it for me anymore. Parkhead is vile. And from what's left Hamilton has zero atmosphere. Killie on a Wednesday and Ibrox/Firhill with the current state of the M8 are further reasons to question it. Hopefully when that's complete it will be better but over two hours to travel 40 miles to Firhill makes for a long day.

Feels so predictable when we lose away games. Just something about the way we go about our business away from home. We are everything we aren't at home. Easily bullied. Poorly disciplined. No cutting edge. This isn't a critiscm of Robbies hearts, we've been that way for years. I find increasingly harder to go watch hearts away from home, not just for the poor fair, but the cost as well. So expensive to go watch hearts. It's made ten times harder to stomach when we are beaten so easily.

I'm going up to Inverness on Saturday, staying over with the boys for a night out, a win would make it a brilliant trip but I'm sure we'll have a good time anyway

I don't go to all away games but if I have the money and free time I go. No matter how bad it got (which I don't think it is now btw) I just can't imagine losing it. There's been times I've came home from games and thought f+$? it. I'll no be going back (like after Easter road last year) but come the next game the pull back to hearts comes back.

I go to all the games with my 15 year old daughter, last night and Saturday will have cost me the best part of ?150 after bus, tickets, food etc, it's not cheap nowadays to follow a football club, not thought about stopping going to away matches but do understand why fans do, especially after dross like last night.

Italian Lambretta

Even if the football is eye bleeding stuff there is always the beer mate. The only thing I look forward too on match days at the moment.

I go to all the games with my 15 year old daughter, last night and Saturday will have cost me the best part of ?150 after bus, tickets, food etc, it's not cheap nowadays to follow a football club, not thought about stopping going to away matches but do understand why fans do, especially after dross like last night.

Even if the football is eye bleeding stuff there is always the beer mate. The only thing I look forward too on match days at the moment.

Snap! The bonus of a victory is the icing on the cake.

To go to any away game I have an hours drive to get to Edinburgh first. After the cup tie at Perth when the traffic was awful and we missed the first 15 minutes or so and lost a match that we should have won I said no more away games, never mind midweek ones, so just why I said to my son that I fancied going to Killie last night is beyond me, it's just something we do that we probably wouldn't if we thought about it and applied some sort of logic to the whole process and cost. We are limited in the games that are within reach anyway as we always drive, ICT, Ross County and Aberdeen are just a bit too far and Parkhead and Ibrox are a bit too horrible/dangerous/nasty to make it an enjoyable experience. After last night there will definitely be no more midweek away games for a while, not because of the game but because of the traffic around Glasgow. We left at 4.00pm and just made kick off with 2 minutes to spare, that just makes the whole thing not worthwhile for us.

If you can afford it I don't see why you wouldn't want to go.

There will be plenty folk out there (including myself) who won't even waste time thinking about it. If I'm able and can afford to go then I'll be at the game and I'm sure there are many others in the same boat as me.

I'm going to Inverness on Saturday and a performance and result similar to last night won't stop me from going to the next away game. I've only started going to away games regularly in the last five years or so and still get the buzz every Saturday regardless of how we are performing.

We've got a core home support and we've got a core away support. I can't see that changing any time soon.

I could have posted that.  I go to most away games, and really enjoy the 'event'.  Sadly, the event is usually travelling there and the banter with the mates.  Less often the event is the game.  But I'm an eternal optimist, and any feelings of pissed-offness are usually gone within 24 hours.  I won't make it to Inverness on Saturday due to family commitments, but I'll be at the absolute shitehole and worst ground in the league at New Douglas Park which I think is our next away venue.

I wanted to go but couldn't.

If you asked me now if I was given the chance to go knowing all that I know would I still be there?

****ing right I would.

Hearts is a marriage. Sickness and in health I'd never turn my back even in the face of guaranteed defeat.

Even at my most pissed off I'd never turn my back.

I live in Glasgow, but stopped going to Ibrox and Parkhead years ago due to our constant negative approach to these games and the secterian crap we had to endure at these grounds. Decided to miss the last Motherwell game because of last years 1-0 debacle, besides, i've always found our performances there very lackluster in recent years, and it's a horrible wee stadium that lacks atmosphere to boot!

Haven't really enjoyed the last few visits to Kilmarnock either. Always find our performances here very disappointing overall, even the cup game when we won 3-2 was a struggle. Last nights performance was easily the worst in my opinion, static in the final 2/3 against a very poor Kilmarnock team.

Is it enjoyable following Hearts this season to away games ?

No. Robbie just hasn't got the system that suits our players.

portobellojambo1

This.

This, I will not go if my health is such that I can't make it otherwise it is off on the road with HMFC. It is more than just the game it is the whole day, with friends. I would doubt there are many, if any, HMFC fans going purely based on the entertainment factor. I go to watch HMFC win, hopefully, and if it is free flowing, a bit scrappy or pure fluke I'm not fussed.But win, lose or draw you prepare yourself for the next game and next stop is Inverness on Saturday, which is a good day out  League wise, so far, I think we did all right at Pittodrie, with a little bit more composure in front of goal could have won it, played well and won at Firhill, played OK but had a howler in front of goal against St Johnstone and lost it, poor first but much better 2nd half versus Motherwell and won it. Then we arrived at last night, the team just didn't function at all and we lost. Up until last night performances away from home have been better this season than they were on many occasions last season. Just didn't happen at all last night.Didn't really help taking almost 2.5 hours getting through as well, but we did get home in reasonable time which was a bonus.

Italian Lambretta

Yeah we will be in there before the game.

However when it all goes tits up during the game I may decide to go for a pint hence the reason I was asking if the supporters bar was open during the game.

Hi mate, this place normally has a decent hearts turnout before the game

http://www.chieftainhotelinverness.com/

Maroon Sailor

Away games are superior to home games. Love an away day.

Ibrox was a bit ropey the night the match was abandoned !

Ibrox was a bit ropey the night the match was abandoned !

It was, the A9 on the way to the game was even more so, roads were terrible that night.

Always go.

I was raging on the way home last night and I'm still unhappy with how piss poor we are away from home but I'll be there on Saturday. All part and parcel of supporting Hearts I'm afraid.

How many tickets have we sold for Saturday? Looking forward to it now

Pay at the gate for me, left it too late ( live in Inverness )

I'll probably end up at quite a few due to living in Glasgow and having a lot of Premiership grounds nearby, although I'm already considering giving Hamilton a miss.

Doctor FinnBarr

Don't get to many away games nowadays due to working 2 out of 3 Saturdays (or home games for that matter) but I'm on the sick now due to a slight accident at work that I made out to be far worse than it really was. I could make the game on Saturday but due to company rules about sickness I've got to report in every day in the first week at 14.10 to tell them of my progress.....no fickin danger I'm doing that from a Sneckie pub or thereabouts expecting other folk to be quiet!

Maroon Sailor

Don't get to many away games nowadays due to working 2 out of 3 Saturdays (or home games for that matter) but I'm on the sick now due to a slight accident at work that I made out to be far worse than it really was. I could make the game on Saturday but due to company rules about sickness I've got to report in every day in the first week at 14.10 to tell them of my progress.....no fickin danger I'm doing that from a Sneckie pub or thereabouts expecting other folk to be quiet!

Could get caught on camera as you celebrate Sammon scoring the winner as well

Doctor FinnBarr

Could get caught on camera as you celebrate Sammon scoring the winner as well

Celebrating? With a back like mine? More chance of a lost Stickleback scoring the winner

We_are_the_Hearts

Could phone from the ground these days and the work would think you were in your livingroom

The Treasurer

There are many good reason why people don't go to games (home or away) but if you claim to be a supporter, then thinking the team won't be playing like Barcelona is not one of those reasons

I gave up on away games after a Falkirk game where I was surrounded by guys spouting vile sectarian crap. Don't want to be associated with that.

William H. Bonney

I gave up on away games after a Falkirk game where I was surrounded by guys spouting vile sectarian crap. Don't want to be associated with that.

You should have been in the hearts end then

You gave up going to away games because some men sang inappropriate songs? :lol:

The Treasurer

Need to choose your friends better  :sunny:

Archived