Pete Burns...Dead.

...a bit disco

...a bit disco

Aged 57. Heart attack.

Cue jokes about spinning in his grave, etc.

...a bit disco

Honestly thought You Spin Me Round was a Depeche Mode song.

Not a child of the 80s I take it?

...a bit disco

Nope.

They do sound quite similar though IMO.

Keep those sorts of opinions to yourself please.

:thumbsup:

Genuinely shocked never to have seen him on a bursds thread on here before going by the kickback standards.

RIP Pete. 57 is a decent age for his lifestyle.

Genuinely shocked never to have seen him on a bursds thread on here before going by the kickback standards.

RIP Pete. 57 is a decent age for his lifestyle.

Drugs or plastic surgery?

Drugs or plastic surgery?

Both, I was channel hopping recently and started watching a docu on plastic surgery with him one of the subjects.

He was getting treated well and starting to look less grotesque. But then he went and got and got all facially injected again by some back street joker. Had to get it all scraped out, horrible to watch (compelling all the same).

Total fruitloop, but surprisingly likeable.

He came out with a few crackers on that big brother thing he was on but I thought he came across as a bit of a bitchy freak in general. Didn't think much of his musical output either if I'm honest.

Had that attitude that he did not care much about anyone or anything and seemed to lack any sort of emotion, hence the rather low key coverage of his death.  Famous for one hit and being a bit.........odd

Early career of band[edit]

220px-Nightmares_In_wax_1980.jpg

Nightmares In Wax (March 1980)

In 1977 Burns formed a band with contemporaries Julian CopePete Wylie, and Phil Hurst, calling themselves The Mystery Girls. They played only one gig (opening for Sham 69 at Eric's in Liverpool in November 1977) before disintegrating.[4] Burns returned in early 1979 with a new band, Nightmares in Wax (original name: 'Rainbows Over Nagasaki'), featuring a gothic post-punk sound, with backing from keyboardist Martin Healy, guitarist Mick Reid (ex-Crash Course and Glass Torpedoes), drummer Paul Hornby (ex 051 and Pink Military), and bassist Walter Ogden.[4] Nightmares in Wax played their first gig at Eric's in July 1979,[5] and were signed to the associated Eric's Records label, although their only recording, a three-track 7" EP entitled Birth of a Nation, was released in March 1980 by Inevitable Records (a 12-inch single featuring two of the tracks from the EP, "Black Leather" and "Shangri-La", was released in 1985).[6] The EP featured "Black Leather", which halfway through turned into K.C. & the Sunshine Band's "That's the Way (I Like It)" (a song later revived by Dead or Alive).[4]

In May 1980, after several line-up changes since the start of the year, and just before they were to record a radio session for John Peel, Burns changed the name of the band to Dead or Alive.[4] The band went through several different line-up changes over the next three years while recording a series of independent singles. Burns' eccentric and androgynous appearance began attracting attention, often leading to comparisons withCulture Club and its lead singer Boy George.

Dead or Alive's singles started charting on the UK Indie Chart, beginning with 1982's "The Stranger" reaching No. 7 on that chart.[7] This prompted major label Epic Records to sign the band in 1983. Their first release for Epic was the single "Misty Circles", which appeared at No. 100 on the major UK Singles Chart in 1983. At this point, the band was a five-piece consisting of Burns, Mike Percy (bass), Tim Lever (keyboards/sax), Steve Coy (drums), and Wayne Hussey (guitar). Two more singles, "What I Want" and "I'd Do Anything", attracted club play, but mainstream success continued to elude the band.

Dead Or Alive's debut album, Sophisticated Boom Boom, was released in May 1984 and featured their first Top 40 UK single, "That's the Way (I Like It)", a remake of the 1975 hit by KC and the Sunshine Band. Hussey departed Dead or Alive just before the album's release, despite having had a hand in writing much of the material that appears on it. The single peaked at No. 22 in the UK and the album at No. 29.

ToadKiller Dog

I like characters like Burns they upset the moral majority hard of thinking insecure types but apart from that I don't have any interest in reality TV stars his or his career ,his big hit was a decent pop hit of its time .

Doesn't seem as if he was a bad person ,those who knew him personally seemed to like him ,but doesn't seem he across to well to those who didn't .

Most surprising thing about Pete Burns is that he held down a marriage for 28 years (78-06).

Did they have any kids?

Archived