What A Come Back;

maroonlegions

Jimmy Irvine was one of my favourites from that period. He was signed from Middlesbrough and had been so popular there that for a while some of their fans made the trip north to watch him play after the transfer.

scott herbertson

I used to go to the matches with a couple of older guys. One of them worked as an accountant for the Scotsman. He had gone to this match and told me that when his bus got back rushed back to the house to tell his old man all about it as he was a great Hearts fan but not able to get the games.

On entering the house no dad to be found

"Where is he?"

Mother "Gone to bed - he was upset about the result"

"Whit?"

"Aye - he turned it off as soon as that printer thingey said Dundee United 5 and swore a lot and went off to bed!"

Dundee were playing rangers in the cup at dens the same day so if my memory serves me right we kicked of at 2 O'clock and the dundee rangers game kicked of at 4 O'clock.

My dad took me to this match and due to the traffic it was 2-0 to Hearts before we got in.

maroonlegions

I used to go to the matches with a couple of older guys. One of them worked as an accountant for the Scotsman. He had gone to this match and told me that when his bus got back rushed back to the house to tell his old man all about it as he was a great Hearts fan but not able to get the games.

On entering the house no dad to be found

"Where is he?"

Mother "Gone to bed - he was upset about the result"

"Whit?"

"Aye - he turned it off as soon as that printer thingey said Dundee United 5 and swore a lot and went off to bed!"

:laugh4:

Bet you he was jumping when he found out the final score.  :verysmug:

My Dad was at this game with my Grandad. Often tells me about it. My uncle (allegedly a Hearts fan as well :)) decided before the game he was going to go see Dundee v Rangers game because it would be a far more exciting game...

maroonlegions

My Dad was at this game with my Grandad. Often tells me about it. My uncle (allegedly a Hearts fan as well :)) decided before the game he was going to go see Dundee v Rangers game because it would be a far more exciting game...

I was also there, 20 years old, amazing game!Got back to Edinburgh and ended up in the'Berkely on Lothian Rd for the night celebrating !

I wasn't there but heard the result on the radio (at my grandparents' house for tea - they had no telly)

Dundee United 5  (Oh no)  Hearts .....         

Some things you never forget.

Rene Moller had just arrived I think.

I also heard the result coming through on the Radio as I was marking the scores for my old man's coupon.

On Hearts 6 up went the paper and the fountain pen to create a lovely pattern across the ceiling. As you say somethings you never forgot!

maroonlegions

Best comeback I've saw:  

:P

Was there myself  at the 4-4 and will never forget it.

Was four years old when we we came back and won 6-5 in 68 though.. :laugh4:

maroonlegions

Its nice hearing from the more senior members on here who where either at these games  way back or knew folk who were.

Different game back then i would imagine, nae pink boots or fancy hair doos , players were hard as feck i would imagine.

avhudtheteeshirt

Was speaking to Wilson Wood who played for Dundee United in that game before signing for Hearts. He told me before the game in the dressing room the Dundee United players were arguing with the Manager over bonus payments right up until they ran on to the park. Still it was a great day, and remember the train on the way back left at 5 past 6 from Dundee and all the way down everyone was singing "The Six Five special coming down the line" all the way to Waverley!

I remember one of their players being carried off and lots of fighting behind the goals with cans etc being thrown. All that and 11 goals.

maroonlegions

Was speaking to Wilson Wood who played for Dundee United in that game before signing for Hearts. He told me before the game in the dressing room the Dundee United players were arguing with the Manager over bonus payments right up until they ran on to the park. Still it was a great day, and remember the train on the way back left at 5 past 6 from Dundee and all the way down everyone was singing "The Six Five special coming down the line" all the way to Waverley!

"The six five special coming down the line, all the way to Waverly"  ..  :laugh4: . good one. 

I was only five when that game happened. I can remember a big fancy brochure being produced for something and lots of colour photographs of this game being in said brochure.

maroonlegions

I remember one of their players being carried off and lots of fighting behind the goals with cans etc being thrown. All that and 11 goals.

Judging by the video of that game there appears to be a mixture of fans behind the goals. No segregation in those days i take it.

maroonlegions

I was only five when that game happened. I can remember a big fancy brochure being produced for something and lots of colour photographs of this game being in said brochure.

Can still recall my dad talking about that game to me in later life. Said it was a fantastic game and was joyous in the Hearts win.

Judging by the video of that game there appears to be a mixture of fans behind the goals. No segregation in those days i take it.

at half time the fans swapped ends which is when the fighting usually happened but not everyone swapped ends so you ended up with a mixture of fans at either end.

maroonlegions

at half time the fans swapped ends which is when the fighting usually happened but not everyone swapped ends so you ended up with a mixture of fans at either end.

Aye thought that when we scored a goal  at one end there was a lot of people celebrating , then come the second half..   :laugh4:

Shanks said no

My old man talked about that game, and of course mentioned that Arthur Mann was playing, one of his all time heroes.

maroonlegions

Donald Ford taking corners.Let the seethe begin :)

There  was no seethe from players when the pen was awarded for possible deliberate hand ball  by the ref.  No red or yellow from the ref .Just got on with the game, no players trying to get the player booked. Not like today when players are falling over themselves to get opposition players booked.

Best comeback I've saw:  

A tourist was sat next to me that day, he was taking in the match as it coincided with his holiday in Edinburgh. I was gutted that his possibly one and only visit to Tynecastle saw us on the verge of us losing 4-2 to that lot, so I took it upon myself to show him that we don't go down without a fight, so I was screaming all sorts along the lines of 'never give up!' 'we can still do it etc'. That we actually did it was nothing short of miraculous given how little time was left. We all just about the hit the roof of the main stand when the fourth went in. Superb memories.

Best comeback I've saw:

It's funny because this sticks out in my mind as one of the best moments I have ever witnessed, pure joy and chaos. Yet in retrospect we only got a point at home to Hibs :)

Very nearly missed the goals. My Dad had to pick my sis up in Montrosr before driving home to Fife so we were on the stairs headed for the exit when Weir scored his first.

1968.  Unfortunately we went on to lose he final 1-3 to Dunfermline. 

I remember that game though.......the best I've ever seen from Rene Moller getting the opener to Jim Irvine's amazing run from a half way line throw in for the winner when it was 5-5.

maroonlegions

I remember that game though.......the best I've ever seen from Rene Moller getting the opener to Jim Irvine's amazing run from a half way line throw in for the winner when it was 5-5.

:sob:

jambo-in-furness

If I remember correctly it was Rene Mollers 2nd game, I think he played the week before, away to the Sheep.

Segregation came in about 1977 or 78, I reckon.

Although there were fights, you could easily pick your spot well away from any trouble if that wasn't your thing. Rubbing shoulders with opposing fans was mostly civilised and civilising. I'd go to derbies with Hibs mates, and to Hearts/Celtic games with a Celtic supporting pal and his dad.

I was at Aberdeen Rene Moller took a free kick from the touch line about 10 yards up from the half way line at the Main stand side and scored, a Legend was born. We won 1 - 0.

Another highlight of that day was because our game had started early we were able to listen to the radio coverage of the other cup ties coming home on the bus.

Much merriment when news of Hibs getting knocked out by Airdrie came through.

We were then able to goad them about 67 years in a row.

Probably my most memorable game ever. We were 2-0 up, then 4-2 down before we scored a third on the stroke of half time.

Rene Moller scored an acrobatic 4th goal not long after half time. Dundee Utd then scored a fifth and then Kenny Garland saved a penalty. Hearts equalised from a penalty from George Miller, who pretty much scuffed the ball down the middle.

With a few minutes to go Jimmy Irvine burst through the Utd defence to hit a screamer into the roof of the net!!

I can recall the game vividly - although I might have got the penalty save out of sequence!!

Went to this, the quarter final at home, the semi  and the final. What I love about watching that and this (the semi) is being able to see all those players again. Seems like yesterday and at the same time several life times ago, if that makes any sense.

Fantastic game, 12 year old and my first season following Hearts home and away.

Older guys on the bus were calling me a lucky mascot as we went all the way to the Final.

Luck ran out in the Final though, and for many years after that !

That was some game and, I remember coming back down to Glasgow and going to my Best Man's 21st (he is a Hibby, by the way) and, because of the party he had put the TV away..  So, myself and Alan Dick, who was red hot Hamilton Accies fan and went on to be their Secretary before moving to Motherwell, nipped out, up the road to his house to watch Sportscene.

I still believe that, so enraged was I with the referee's display (no surprise when you see who it was - The Gollum of his day) I would have been on the park if Eddie Thomson hadn't scored just as I reached the bottom of the terracing.

Went to this, the quarter final at home, the semi  and the final. What I love about watching that and this (the semi) is being able to see all those players again. Seems like yesterday and at the same time several life times ago, if that makes any sense.

Brilliant stuff.  

I cut my honeymoon short to make the replay.. Being married the previous Thursday, I managed to persuade (read bribe) my wife to come to the first game.  No chance for the second!!!  So, back home it was, just in time for that replay.

jambos are go!

If you check the clip you will see thst Irvine picked up a terrible throw in by a defender across his own 18 yard line beat one mane and thrashed it in . Great goal though.

My dad didn't take me to this game and our tv was broken so he contrived a visit to a pal on the Sat night so that we could hang on and watch it on his telly that night.

That was some game and, I remember coming back down to Glasgow and going to my Best Man's 21st (he is a Hibby, by the way) and, because of the party he had put the TV away.. So, myself and Alan Dick, who was red hot Hamilton Accies fan and went on to be their Secretary before moving to Motherwell, nipped out, up the road to his house to watch Sportscene.

I still believe that, so enraged was I with the referee's display (no surprise when you see who it was - The Gollum of his day) I would have been on the park if Eddie Thomson hadn't scored just as I reached the bottom of the terracing.

Referee. Bobby Davidson?

I also heard the result coming through on the Radio as I was marking the scores for my old man's coupon.

On Hearts 6 up went the paper and the fountain pen to create a lovely pattern across the ceiling. As you say somethings you never forgot!

similar to me. I took the trannie up to my Grandad's room to listen to the results. Dundee Utd 5 (bugger) Hearts 6 ya beauty.

Archived