Watt on the wing

Macros

Seeing as he tends to play too deep to be truly effective as a forward or alongside Sammon, but given he has undoubted ability with the ball at his feet, what do you think of playing him as a winger? Djoum isn't a winger but better as an attacking midfielder and contrary to some on here I think Sammon does offer us a battling front man who's needing someone with pace around him, not 10-15 yards behind. I'd like to see a wee experiment of playing Watt on the left wing and play Johnsen alongside Sammon. I actually thought we could have taken Walker off today and moved Watt out there and brought Johnsen on. Having said that Muirhead played well so there's another option.

Needs time on the bench IMO until he learns how to play his position.

Scoring record the likes of Nade, but hailed as a superstar.

Sammon and Johnsen next week please, with Muirhead out wide.

I'd take either of the suggestions from the first two posts. It's not working at the moment with him supposedly up front so someone else needs to be doing that alongside Sammon.

Not sure where I would play Watt, but it wouldn't be in the number 10 role. Our number 10 should be playing there. Perhaps worth giving Watt a chance up front. Or on the wing- although Muirhead probably deserves a chance there ahead of him.

Start the team that finished play today with the exception of Buaben and Ozturk

I'd go with 11 players.

My team midfield / forwards next time would be

Muirhead Djoum Kitchen Walker

Watt Johnsen

Greater pace and movement which we missed early on. Just a bit too ponderous.

Not sure where I would play Watt, but it wouldn't be in the number 10 role. Our number 10 should be playing there. Perhaps worth giving Watt a chance up front. Or on the wing- although Muirhead probably deserves a chance there ahead of him.

That's the problem. I think Watt is supposed to be up top or in the number 10 role, but lacks discipline and doesn't stick to his position. I suspect that's the reason why he was hooked before Sammon.

He's talented and pleasing on the eye on the ball, but ultimately when hes doing his entertaining work 50 yards from goal it achieves nowt for the team.

That's the problem. I think Watt is supposed to be up top or in the number 10 role, but lacks discipline and doesn't stick to his position. I suspect that's the reason why he was hooked before Sammon.

He's talented and pleasing on the eye on the ball, but ultimately when hes doing his entertaining work 50 yards from goal it achieves nowt for the team.

It's seems to me that he is being asked to play behind Sammon, and is doing that...but isn't very effective much of the time. Djoum is much better in that position.

It's seems to me that he is being asked to play behind Sammon, and is doing that...but isn't very effective much of the time. Djoum is much better in that position.

I think that's where he's meant to be, but he spends most of his time amongst or behind Kitchen, Cowie and Djoum.

Seeing as he tends to play too deep to be truly effective as a forward or alongside Sammon, but given he has undoubted ability with the ball at his feet, what do you think of playing him as a winger? Djoum isn't a winger but better as an attacking midfielder and contrary to some on here I think Sammon does offer us a battling front man who's needing someone with pace around him, not 10-15 yards behind. I'd like to see a wee experiment of playing Watt on the left wing and play Johnsen alongside Sammon. I actually thought we could have taken Walker off today and moved Watt out there and brought Johnsen on. Having said that Muirhead played well so there's another option.

With nicholson injured I think we should change to a diamond midfield, watt at the top of the diamond, kitchen holding obviously with Cowie and Djoum at the sides. Put sammon and johnsen up top with sammon running the channels and pulling the defenders to free up some space in the final third as he's clearly no use as an in the box striker. I know that wouldn't give us the width from midfield but we could get our width from our fullbacks. Just my opinion

Watt would be best placed sitting in the stand. If he drifted much deeper he would have been in there.

Time to drop him and play someone up with Sammon. Djoum was much better with Watt off.

Watt's finishing has looked poor. Its all about end product and he isn't making or taking chances.

With nicholson injured I think we should change to a diamond midfield, watt at the top of the diamond, kitchen holding obviously with Cowie and Djoum at the sides. Put sammon and johnsen up top with sammon running the channels and pulling the defenders to free up some space in the final third as he's clearly no use as an in the box striker. I know that wouldn't give us the width from midfield but we could get our width from our fullbacks. Just my opinion

Yeah

Something a bit different is needed

Watt is still creating well

Watt would be best placed sitting in the stand. If he drifted much deeper he would have been in there.

Time to drop him and play someone up with Sammon. Djoum was much better with Watt off.

Watt's finishing has looked poor. Its all about end product and he isn't making or taking chances.

Sammon should be the first dropped so Watt has someone up with him to help hold the ball up and connect with some of his many through balls.

Can people be clear what they consider the winning team from today is please.

The last time Robbie made subs that helped win us the game against Hamilton he got slated as the tinkerman next game when he started 2 of those subs but apparently had changed a 'winning team' because he didn't start with the team that had started the week before.

So what was the winning team today?

The one that started or the one that finished?

Cheers.

Clash of styles with him and Sammon, maybe with Sammon a lack of, but one can't play off the other. It's said all the time but we need a poacher to play off one of them.

If he had played quicker passes (or passed at all) and took shots whenever he had an opportunity, I think he would've stayed on for the 90 today.

If a neutral had never heard or seen him until today, they'd be asking if he's a winger, attacking mid or holding mid. I doubt they'd be saying he's our striker.

He's some player, but overall I don't see much end product coming from his hard work, and I feel whenever he's sitting deep or taking a pass and running onto the wing, we're a man down in the box.

Sammon should be the first dropped so Watt has someone up with him to help hold the ball up and connect with some of his many through balls.

How anyone could think other than this defies logic. Watt needs someone up there with him, someone who has a bit of nous, something Conor Sammon lacks. Watt needs and indeed deserves someone alongside him with whom he can develop a good working relationship and that needs to be someone with a good footballing head and half decent ball skills and we have other players who would better fill that bill. Robbie cannot keep trying to prove something that is patently unprovable by playing Conor Sammon week in week out in the hope that the something he wants to happen might happen. 

For Killie game, bring back Rherras, start Muirhead and Johnsen. Drop Ozturk, Sammon and Watt. No denying the quality Watt has but think a game on the bench might be what he needs and will have a cracking sub to bring on.

For Killie game, bring back Rherras, start Muirhead and Johnsen. Drop Ozturk, Sammon and Watt. No denying the quality Watt has but think a game on the bench might be what he needs and will have a cracking sub to bring on.

I don't see any reason to change a winning team to that extent. Rherras back for Ozturk I agree with but Johnson and Muirhead coming off the bench is working. Sammon and Watt have definitely missed a lot of chances but we are creating a lot of chances with them in the team. It would be risk to change that. Neilson tried it once and we got beat off St Johnstone.

I feel we're going to give someone a gubbing soon and both will start scoring.

Don't know about Watt, but whenever Djoum moves from right midfield to centre mid, we suddenly look like a different team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jambof3tornado

I don't see any reason to change a winning team to that extent. Rherras back for Ozturk I agree with but Johnson and Muirhead coming off the bench is working. Sammon and Watt have definitely missed a lot of chances but we are creating a lot of chances with them in the team. It would be risk to change that. Neilson tried it once and we got beat off St Johnstone.

I feel we're going to give someone a gubbing soon and both will start scoring.

Unfair on muirhead to not start him though.

Desire skill vision delivery....4 boxes ticked. Superb again when he came on.

Agree with this.

Muirhead and Johnson both deserve a shot. Watt and Sammon haven't been scoring and haven't been playing particular great either.

Watt is playing like the best kid in a park game.  Perhaps he just ignores the instructions he is given and plays wherever he wants.  He should be playing like Rudi did - getting the ball on the edge or just inside the box, making a yard and getting the shot in.  We don't need him to be collecting the ball from the centre halves.

No sign of a partnership between Watt and Sammon.  Watched them during an injury break in play and they both came over to get a drink.  But zero communication between them - no sign of asking for the ball to be played in a certain area, a weakness either of them spotted in a defender or even asking for the passes to be played earlier.  They are not a good partnership.

This is more a reply to him as a #10 than as a winger.

For me, a true number ten should have similarities to a 10 in rugby or the QB in American football.

They should be excellent technical players. (You have to be to fill the position) but that is not enough to make them good at their job - it is more a minimum requirement of one aspect of it. Vision, reading of the game, awareness, an ability to bring others in to play and an excellent tactical understanding of the game are what make real tens.

Good tens should use running with the ball to draw men away from team mates to make space for others, not as an unthinking default. Whilst it can be used to buy time for a play to develop and passing lanes to open and men to get free, this requires head up play and an ability to read on the fly. Running should mainly be used in short bursts to open up angles and make space for others.

Passing, and specifically early passing, should be the default option 1, so that good runs from others are encouraged and so deter a close press on the ten. That is when variation comes in, and a forward run and pass, or solo run and shot becomes effective, as opponents have backed off leaving the space with the ten and not his first receivers.

10s who dwell on the ball consistently and fail to vary their play and use their runners effectively do not help their teams, regardless of their individual skills. Mental ability is at least as important in this sort of role.

It seems it easier to teach a passer to run than a runner to pass. I'm not sure Jamie makes a great 10 either.

As for Watt, I'd play him as a 9 alongside another 9.

This is more a reply to him as a #10 than as a winger.

For me, a true number ten should have similarities to a 10 in rugby or the QB in American football.

They should be excellent technical players. (You have to be to fill the position) but that is not enough to make them good at their job - it is more a minimum requirement of one aspect of it. Vision, reading of the game, awareness, an ability to bring others in to play and an excellent tactical understanding of the game are what make real tens.

Good tens should use running with the ball to draw men away from team mates to make space for others, not as an unthinking default. Whilst it can be used to buy time for a play to develop and passing lanes to open and men to get free, this requires head up play and an ability to read on the fly. Running should mainly be used in short bursts to open up angles and make space for others.

Passing, and specifically early passing, should be the default option 1, so that good runs from others are encouraged and so deter a close press on the ten. That is when variation comes in, and a forward run and pass, or solo run and shot becomes effective, as opponents have backed off leaving the space with the ten and not his first receivers.

10s who dwell on the ball consistently and fail to vary their play and use their runners effectively do not help their teams, regardless of their individual skills. Mental ability is at least as important in this sort of role.

It seems it easier to teach a passer to run than a runner to pass. I'm not sure Jamie makes a great 10 either.

As for Watt, I'd play him as a 9 alongside another 9.

Let's get our number 10 back playing in this number 10 role!

How anyone could think other than this defies logic. Watt needs someone up there with him, someone who has a bit of nous, something Conor Sammon lacks. Watt needs and indeed deserves someone alongside him with whom he can develop a good working relationship and that needs to be someone with a good footballing head and half decent ball skills and we have other players who would better fill that bill. Robbie cannot keep trying to prove something that is patently unprovable by playing Conor Sammon week in week out in the hope that the something he wants to happen might happen. 

Only those with their eyes open!

Sammon and Watt will never be a strike partnership because Watt is seldom anywhere near Sammon in support.  The problem is that Watt plays for Watt and must beat the mandatory 3 men twice by which time the opposition defence has regrouped.  Watt is probably our best natural footballer but until he applies that talent in a more direct way his worth is diluted.  If he does apply his talent in a more direct way he'll be playing for bigger clubs than us.

Sammon for his part can unsettle defences but all too often he was isolated.  He could also help himself if he actually jumped for a ball instead of simply arching his back with his feet stuck to the ground. This happens week in, week out and it's time Neilson and Crawford were giving attention to jumping/heading ability in training and also include our defence who were beaten in the air numerous times but that little striker Dundee had.

I'd stick with Watt but he needs to play further forward and would get more goals for us.

We played rubbish yesterday but that's the team I would stick with, apart from I'd start Johnson instead of sammon, who didn't contribute anything yesterday. Doesn't win a thing in the air for a big guy.

Surprised so many people want Watt on the bench. Technically probably our most gifted footballer, should be on the pitch. Robbie needs to find the best way to harness that talent, that is the job of a manager

He is a quality player who I would love us to sign. Unlikely I know but if he works away quietly, keeping a low profile Charlton might just cut their losses.

Watt doesnt play upfront (in the sense he never stays there) and doesnt play through balls. I lile Watt as a talent but he isnt contributing at the minute.

By The Light..

:tlj:

You mean Rherras, right?

Yes Rherras for Ozturk but I'm assuming he was injured so if he was still out then id rathr see Oshinawa than Ozturk.

But thats for another thread.

On Watt and Sammon its a mystery that needs solving quick as we could have easily lost yday.

Rather see Oshinawa than Ozturk.

**** me, each to their own and all that, but I really have read it all now.

I think part of the problem, apart from the utterly hopeless Sammon, is the 4:4:1:1 formation.

This seems to be another one of Neilson's concepts, to help keep things tight.

When the midfield get the ball, there is no-one up front to pass to as Sammon can't find space or hold the ball up. As such Watt is forced to come deep, exacerbating the problem.

Watt should be on and told to feed off the centre forward, just like Robbo used to do with various partners. That just leaves us to find a new replacement for Sammon who can do it every week. The last time Johnson started he was utterly rank.

Muirhead made a difference yesterday but he has been distinctly average in all games so far, so he's not the great saviour. He needs to be eased into this team and certainly not at the expense of Watt, who made a bucket load of opportunities for others yesterday.

Watt must be higher up and close to the CF to feed off them.

Winston Ingram

I said umpteen times on here when Watt signed that the key time would be around... now. Immediate impact, hype etc as he gets everywhere he goes. Then after a short time he downs tools and goes back to old ways. So what happens over the next couple of months will be really interesting (including for Watt's future in football). 

I've no problem with him playing as a maverick (he takes opposing players out of the game) but he has to do it further up the pitch. We have other midfielders, Watt is a forward. Reading between the lines yesterday, he was told this at half time but didn't change his approach hence didn't last long into the second half. He played far, far too deep. 

He can either now screw the nut and learn or his time at Hearts will fizzle out as he soon looks for another loan move. 

Needs time on the bench IMO until he learns how to play his position.

Scoring record the likes of Nade, but hailed as a superstar.

Sammon and Johnsen next week please, with Muirhead out wide.

I think the opposite mate. He's a very good player that our management bent over backwards to get and we don't know how to use him effectively. When he's on the ball we tend to lose our shape.

At first I was sceptical when we signed Watt, I was unsure whether he would improve our squad but from the short time we have seen him, there is no doubting the ability he has. I do like the free role he seems to have behind the striker, allowing him to drift out wide or drop deep and get on the ball and run at the defenders. He can make space for himself well but his link up play doesn't quite seem to be there yet. If that clicks, this has the potential to be a very special team.

I had a look at our team's stats up to this point and Watt has one of the lowest contributions per minute in our squad. Johnsen and Muirhead have the best record per minute with a goal or assist every 98 and 100 minutes but neither have played more than 200 minutes this season. Walker, Nicholson and Paterson are our top 3 from those that have played over 200 minutes. Walker with a contribution every 111 minutes, Nicholson every 119 minutes and Paterson every 180 minutes, not bad from right back. Sammon is next on the list with a goal or assist every 207 minutes, Cowie just behind him on 209. Watt is below Rossi, Buaben, Djoum and Ozturk on the list with just 1 goal in his 735 minutes.

I do feel Sammon gets a hard time from fans and Watt doesn't, despite the facts showing Sammon has contributed a lot more to the team than Watt in the short time both have been with the club.

Be keen to see Muirhead in midfield. He said in an EN interview that he likes playing left midfield.

A great opportunity to show what he can do with nicholson being out. Did well when he came on yesterday

Broxburn Jambo

Don't know about Watt, but whenever Djoum moves from right midfield to centre mid, we suddenly look like a different team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can't agree more

Archived