Man best friend

Jambof3tornado

The Real Maroonblood

Her surgery to fix the hip has gone well. Hopefully the ligaments will hold it in and heal up nicely.

The back will be supported by a splint to be ordered and fitted next week. Till then no movement and caged.

Then a further 8 weeks of cage rest and pray.

With lots of luck on our side she'll recover from here.

Glad to hear that.

• Replies 372
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jambof3tornado

• Dagger Is Back

• The Real Maroonblood

• Bauld

She's home. Knocked out on tramadol and she'll on in that cage for 6-8 weeks to let her back heal.

20161111_194317.jpg

Thanks for the support folks, this has and still will be absolutely brutal.

She's home. Knocked out on tramadol and she'll on in that cage for 6-8 weeks to let her back heal.

20161111_194317.jpg

Thanks for the support folks, this has and still will be absolutely brutal.

Sounds awful. But could have been worse. Good luck.

Jambof3tornado

Having a pup in the house I dont envy you the job of keeping her calm. Glad she's home though.

Make sure you keep us updated mate.

Having a pup in the house I dont envy you the job of keeping her calm. Glad she's home though.

Make sure you keep us updated mate.

Her nickname is Hurricane Rana so you can imagine.

She's a lab though and we've trained her superbly. We'll be able to handle her no problem. It's just the time. She'll still be caged over Christmas and she'll have us shaking paranoid wrecks for months to come.

We're also over a grand in the hole already but thankfully the Mrs already had most of the Xmas shopping done.

The Real Maroonblood

She's a lab though and we've trained her superbly. We'll be able to handle her no problem. It's just the time. She'll still be caged over Christmas and she'll have us shaking paranoid wrecks for months to come.

We're also over a grand in the hole already but thankfully the Mrs already had most of the Xmas shopping done.

Being home and surrounded with the ones who love her should help her recovery.

The months will go quickly and I look forward to hearing she has made a full recovery. 

Jambof3tornado

Lol they do put us through the ringer at times!!

• 2 weeks later...
The Real Maroonblood

How is she doing?

How is she doing?

Vet check up today. Her back hasn't shifted so so far so good on that front.

15th of Dec she's going in to have her hip socket removed.

She'll keep the use of the leg but it will be held together by just muscle.

Apparently that's pretty standard procedure these days. Vet says he does one on average every 2 weeks.

Hopefully she'll be getting back to her best by March all going to plan.

Going to be a long shift.

The Real Maroonblood

Apparently that's pretty standard procedure these days. Vet says he does one on average every 2 weeks.

Great to hear that things are progressing.

We're putting our dog out to stud at the weekend.  The Mrs' friend has a beardy bitch, looks identical to our Bertie.  So he's going over to do his thang.  Pups by February if all goes well.

Then he's getting his Jackon's whipped off!

The Real Maroonblood

We're putting our dog out to stud at the weekend.  The Mrs' friend has a beardy bitch, looks identical to our Bertie.  So he's going over to do his thang.  Pups by February if all goes well.

Then he's getting his Jackon's whipped off!

I hope you have discussed it with him.

I hope you have discussed it with him.

Hahaha - not so thinly weiled threats when he misbehaves!  (He doesn't really misbehave...much).

At least he'll, hopefully, get use of them first.

Does that mean somebody has to sit and watch them and encourage them doing their thing?... No thanks!

Haha - I hope not.

We'll drop him off and he can spend a few hours with his bursd.

Hopefully when we return he's like,

dog-smoker.jpg

Encouraging news -- look forward to hearing of further progress and she is well on the road to recovery.. 

• 1 month later...

So last update she was to get her hip socket and ball removed on the 15th.

She had her op as planned and the tough wee bugger walked out the surgery 2 hours after she was stitched up. Doped up on methadone and general anesthetic of course.

On the road to recovery now but back to her old self if we let her. She's on strict cage rest for 2 months now with just 2-3 trips out to the toilet a day.

Here she is 2 days after her op.

20161216_141543.jpg

The Real Maroonblood

She had her op as planned and the tough wee bugger walked out the surgery 2 hours after she was stitched up. Doped up on methadone and general anesthetic of course.

On the road to recovery now but back to her old self if we let her. She's on strict cage rest for 2 months now with just 2-3 trips out to the toilet a day.

Here she is 2 days after her op.20161216_141543.jpg

Great news.

Best wishes to you and your family.

Brilliant news.

My wee lass is on her last legs now. Really not looking forward to the 9th of January next year. However I am just enjoying every moment with her.

The Real Maroonblood

Brilliant news.

My wee lass is on her last legs now. Really not looking forward to the 9th of January next year. However I am just enjoying every moment with her.

Sorry to hear that.

Very difficult time for you.

Take care.

Brilliant news.

Treat her like you would any family member you love.

Make every second count and if she's capable find a way to do one last special thing together that creates a special and lasting memory.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/epic-road-trip-bella-robert-kugler-dying-cancer-chocolate-labrador-social-media-travel-diary-a7136911.html%3Famp?client=ms-android-samsung

Edited by Bauld

Sorry to hear that.

Very difficult time for you.

Take care.

Nothing has been decided yet. The vet has left the decision up to us.

She isn't in pain however she is blind, going deaf and she has started doing the business in the house over night despite being walked as late as possible. I am Worried about her dignity as you can tell she hates the fact she has done it. I no Longer even make attention of it because what good will that do.

It is very difficult. However I am leaving it until after the year, going to enjoy her company and then decide.

As for the above advice... Yes we are frequently taking her to her favourite walks such as crammond beach, figgy Park and along musselburgh.

Edited by AlimOzturk

Dagger Is Back

Brilliant news.

Aww man. That is so sad but you're doing the right thing by making the most of your time.

God bless

Jambof3tornado

Here she is 2 days after her op.

20161216_141543.jpg

Oscar sends his best wishes!!

post-637-0-91762600-1482443940_thumb.jpg

Jambof3tornado

Brilliant news.

You simply do what you can for them.

Good luck mate.

• 1 month later...

Barely slept a wink worrying about my wee guy but this thread has given some comfort. My wife and I noticed that our pup was off his food the last 48hrs but yesterday he started showing other concerning symptoms including heavy breathing, general lethargy (which isn't like him at all) and there was also signs of blood in his stools. We rushed him down to the vets and they began a whole load of blood tests and ultrasounds etc and it was decided they needed to keep him in so they could aggressively treat whatever it was attacking his immune system. My missus is in absolute bits and I must admit to feeling so down, he's such a massive part of our day to day life. He's only 7 so we are just praying it's nothing horrendously serious but something that can be treated over the next few days. He's a wee fighter but it was so hard to leave him there.

post-27942-0-48084400-1486531842_thumb.jpg

The Real Maroonblood

Barely slept a wink worrying about my wee guy but this thread has given some comfort. My wife and I noticed that our pup was off his food the last 48hrs but yesterday he started showing other concerning symptoms including heavy breathing, general lethargy (which isn't like him at all) and there was also signs of blood in his stools. We rushed him down to the vets and they began a whole load of blood tests and ultrasounds etc and it was decided they needed to keep him in so they could aggressively treat whatever it was attacking his immune system. My missus is in absolute bits and I must admit to feeling so down, he's such a massive part of our day to day life. He's only 7 so we are just praying it's nothing horrendously serious but something that can be treated over the next few days. He's a wee fighter but it was so hard to leave him there.

Hope everything goes well.

Jambof3tornado

Hope there's good news soon. Seen a lot of stories on facebook about wankers putting ratpoison in public parks plus a story about another park where dogs were getting ill after visiting.

Fingers and paws crossed for your pup!!

Thanks for the kind comments, they are really appreciated. 

Today has been brutal, I tried to take my mind off things with work and thinking about the game on Sunday but its been impossible. He wasn't improving late this afternoon despite having had a whole load of tests, x-rays and an ultrasound and having been on various meds. So we decided to go ahead with a blood transfusion this evening and we now need to wait and see how he responds. Just praying for the wee man. I went and spent half an hour with him before he had the procedure and he was so pleased to see me but you could tell he was totally confused by what was going on and it was really heartbreaking when I had to leave.

My wife is in a terrible state as she had him from a puppy and he's been there for her during some tough personal times within her family. I really don't know how we are going to manage going home if he isn't there cos he's such a loving presence in our flat. I walk him every day and I dread the thought of losing my wee pal. Just so difficult to comprehend whats happened over the last 48 hours completely out of the blue. 

Really hope things work out for the three of you.

Thanks bud, I've really been grateful for the messages and this thread in general. I've been fortunate to have this dog in my life the last few years and it's been an amazing life experience.

chester copperpot

This thread has been a bit heartbreaking following it.

However, it's been also warming to know that are so many caring people out there treating their dogs like their family.

I genuinely hope everything works out for all yourselves and your wee guys.

The Real Maroonblood

This thread has been a bit heartbreaking following it.

However, it's been also warming to know that are so many caring people out there treating their dogs like their family.

I genuinely hope everything works out for all yourselves and your wee guys.

This.

Thanks for the kind comments, they are really appreciated.

Today has been brutal, I tried to take my mind off things with work and thinking about the game on Sunday but its been impossible. He wasn't improving late this afternoon despite having had a whole load of tests, x-rays and an ultrasound and having been on various meds. So we decided to go ahead with a blood transfusion this evening and we now need to wait and see how he responds. Just praying for the wee man. I went and spent half an hour with him before he had the procedure and he was so pleased to see me but you could tell he was totally confused by what was going on and it was really heartbreaking when I had to leave.

My wife is in a terrible state as she had him from a puppy and he's been there for her during some tough personal times within her family. I really don't know how we are going to manage going home if he isn't there cos he's such a loving presence in our flat. I walk him every day and I dread the thought of losing my wee pal. Just so difficult to comprehend whats happened over the last 48 hours completely out of the blue.

I feel for you and your wife.

Let's hope your wee pal makes it through.

It leaves an enormous void when they are not around. Just got to hope he is running around enjoying his walks again soon .

Jambof3tornado

Hope the wee man pulls through. The thread shows the down side to having dogs as family members but it really is the positives of having a family pooch that can make you sit back and take stock of it all.

Fingers crossed things start turning for the better.

chester copperpot

Best of luck to the wee man hope it gets him fighting fit again.

How's your wee fella mate? Updates are vital here

Edit* I love yer dug

Edited by chester copperpot