• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jambof3tornado

• Dagger Is Back

• The Real Maroonblood

• Bauld

Jambof3tornado

Sorry for your loss JF3T.

My Mrs has always had dogs and so when i met her I didn't have the option not to either.  She lost her previous dog, Molly, soon into our relationship (Molly was 19!) and soon after she got a pup, beardy colly (with a hint of border).  So I've been there for all his time here and I love him to bits.

All the best.

They steal your heart like nothing else.

Lovely pooch.

Thats a superb photo that should be on a large canvas print somewhere in your house!! Braw looking dogs.

My wife and I are very handy with a camera so we have lots of photos like that. We'd need to convert the photos to wallpaper to fit all the ones we love on the wall.

Jambof3tornado

Home from work after a 12 hour shift the wife says she's knackered after running around with the puppy all day. I said go to bed I'll take over. 5 minutes later he was asleep. I think she's having me on!

Our taz had some problems with liver enzymes and was on medication for a few years. Best of luck with the scans.

Unfortunately my worst fears were confirmed and the wife and I had to give Ferdiie a last cuddle as he fell asleep at the vet this morning. Such a lovely boy, he had a great life. Run free over the bridge sweet guy. You were the best dog ever.

14729403_10207560710124133_7384988010331

Unfortunately my worst fears were confirmed and the wife and I had to give Ferdiie a last cuddle as he fell asleep at the vet this morning. Such a lovely boy, he had a great life. Run free over the bridge sweet guy. You were the best dog ever.

Heart breaking mate it's one of the worst feelings ever. Such a wonderful member of the family.

Jambof3tornado

Dont mind saying there's a tear in my eye as I type. Our Taz will be up there to greet him and show his round the best lampposts!!

Braw looking doggie!!

RIP

Thinking of you and yours mate. I know how tough it is, somehow you will eventually move on in a way that suits you and your family.

Shan times. Had to do this a few weeks ago. Remember the good life you gave him, and the joy the brought you. And it's alright to take time to grieve. Edited by Peebo

Jambof3tornado

Picked up our Taz's ashes from the vets today....having wee Oscar by my side didn't half help.

Our chunky chocolate boys ashes are going to be scattered next month on the beach at pease bay where he had many a fun saunter/splash/swim.

Thankyou once again for the support given. Just being able to open up about losing him has helped me tremendously.

The Real Maroonblood

My thoughts are with you.

Picked up our Taz's ashes from the vets today....having wee Oscar by my side didn't half help.

Our chunky chocolate boys ashes are going to be scattered next month on the beach at pease bay where he had many a fun saunter/splash/swim.

Thankyou once again for the support given. Just being able to open up about losing him has helped me tremendously.

It does certainly help when you can empathise with others. I have had three dogs over the last forty years, and losing them certainly doesn?t get any easier. When my youngest grandson started the school, he announced to the teacher he had a dog, but it stayed with his Nana and Granddad. The whole family treated him likewise Neighbours also engaged with him and it is amazing how dogs enrich your lives through providing an environment out and about, where you meet so many likeminded people who become acquaintances.

Good luck with the new addition

Lost my best friend on Friday night. I am still absolutely gutted about it! She was only 10 but got knocked down by a car. Absolutely devasted that she is gone before her time!

Lost my best friend on Friday night. I am still absolutely gutted about it! She was only 10 but got knocked down by a car. Absolutely devasted that she is gone before her time!

That is absolutely awful. Must be terrible for you. My sympathies.   .

The Real Maroonblood

Sorry for your loss.

My thoughts are with you.

Dagger Is Back

Oh man. What a lovely looking old chap. Sorry to hear of your sad loss.

Dagger Is Back

Oh no. So sorry to hear that. Terrible news.

Thoughts with you

Dagger Is Back

I actually think they should stickie this thread as it's clear that the thread has been a big support for many.

Handsome chap! Sorry for your loss.

Jambof3tornado

I am so sorry for your loss.

I've stopped my ambulance a few times over the years to try and catch dogs wondering freely near roads, I'd hope someone else would do the same if any dog I owned ever got out.

All roads lead to Gorgie

I am so sorry for your loss.

I've stopped my ambulance a few times over the years to try and catch dogs wondering freely near roads, I'd hope someone else would do the same if any dog I owned ever got out.

I'm still glad to this day that someone did that for me when my old pooch went missing on Corstorphine Hill and was found by the road at Clermiston. Some good people out there !

Jambof3tornado

I'm still glad to this day that someone did that for me when my old pooch went missing on Corstorphine Hill and was found by the road at Clermiston. Some good people out there !

Remember once grabbing a wee staffie type pooch and having to use oxygen tubing as a makeshift leash!!!

All roads lead to Gorgie

Remember once grabbing a wee staffie type pooch and having to use oxygen tubing as a makeshift leash!!!

Staffie types are difficult to get hold off. I tried to leash a loose staffie once and it gave me an angry look a ran off. I said " your on your own mate" :biggrin: 

Jambof3tornado

Staffie types are difficult to get hold off. I tried to leash a loose staffie once and it gave me an angry look a ran off. I said " your on your own mate" :biggrin:

Haha some dont want caught to be fair but I hate seeing them near roads.....nightmare stuff.

All roads lead to Gorgie

Haha some dont want caught to be fair but I hate seeing them near roads.....nightmare stuff.

Cats as well. A friends cat got hit and now hops around on three legs. Cost her a fortune on vets fees as it was touch and go for a while it would pull through. Pets get loose by accident but anyone just letting them roam free should consider the consequences.

Jambof3tornado

Cats as well. A friends cat got hit and now hops around on three legs. Cost her a fortune on vets fees as it was touch and go for a while it would pull through. Pets get loose by accident but anyone just letting them roam free should consider the consequences.

I couldnt have cat. One I'm allergic to them but more so I wouldnt sleep at night if the wee bugger was roaming the streets!!

I am having to seriously consider my dogs Quality of life which is actually making me feel so miserable about even considering having to do this. So miserable and worried.

People maybe think I am over reacting or be saying get a grip but I have had this dog for over 8 years. (edited)

She has went blind, her skin condition has become so difficult to manage as she getting Older. The only option now is steroids. She is now pooing in the house which she has never done before. I can't have this with a 4 year old.

My major problem is despite the above she is still active, tail wagging and apart from the scratching doesn't seem in any pain.

Going to get her to the vet but I am worried about my best pal.

Edited by AlimOzturk

I am having to seriously consider my dogs Quality of life which is actually making me feel so miserable about even considering having to do this. So miserable and worried.

People maybe think I am over reacting or be saying get a grip but I have had this dog for over 8 years. (edited)

She has went blind, her skin condition has become so difficult to manage as she getting Older. The only option now is steroids. She is now pooing in the house which she has never done before. I can't have this with a 4 year old.

My major problem is despite the above she is still active, tail wagging and apart from the scratching doesn't seem in any pain.

Sad times. Speak to the vet, then you'll probably know what to do.

Some vets will give you grief for it but some people I know have put years on their dogs by switching them over to raw feeding.

Both my labs (pictures earlier in the thread) are raw fed, rana the pup has been raw fed since 10 weeks and Luna who is 5 today started on a raw diet a year ago.

The vet was unhappy with Luna but she went from 36kgs to 29kgs in about 3 months and put on some good muscle. She is now leaner and twice as fit as she was on regular dog food (usually Harringtons or bakers) and the vets are absolutely delighted with her.

I have heard of it being the solution to skin problems and all sorts.

If you want to consider it there's a raw feeding rebels page on Facebook which is brilliant for advice.

Some vets will give you grief for it but some people I know have put years on their dogs by switching them over to raw feeding.

Both my labs (pictures earlier in the thread) are raw fed, rana the pup has been raw fed since 10 weeks and Luna who is 5 today started on a raw diet a year ago.

The vet was unhappy with Luna but she went from 36kgs to 29kgs in about 3 months and put on some good muscle. She is now leaner and twice as fit as she was on regular dog food (usually Harringtons or bakers) and the vets are absolutely delighted with her.

I have heard of it being the solution to skin problems and all sorts.

If you want to consider it there's a raw feeding rebels page on Facebook which is brilliant for advice.

She already gets raw food and raw meaty butcher bones. She also gets high quality dog meat. I have always fed my dogs raw food Along with their regular meat. Like you say vets don't recommend it but you will usually find their studies are usually funded by the big Commercial dog food companies and they are not tailored towards their dietary needs.

Always makes me laugh when people Come in seeing a tiny jack Russell chewing this massive butcher bone. They look horrified. My wife gags when I chuck her raw liver, kidney ect :laug: she fecking loves it.

Edited by AlimOzturk

She already gets raw food and raw meaty butcher bones. She also gets high quality dog meat. I have always fed my dogs raw food Along with their regular meat. Like you say vets don't recommend it but you will usually find their studies are usually funded by the big Commercial dog food companies and they are not tailored towards their dietary needs.

Always makes me laugh when people Come in seeing a tiny jack Russell chewing this massive butcher bone. They look horrified. My wife gags when I chuck her raw liver, kidney ect :laug: she fecking loves it.

Fair enough, Our dogs love it as well. We buy the bags of made up chicken mince, beef, fish, tripe, ofal etc and make up our own tubs with chicken thighs and drumsticks etc from the supermarket. Allows us to balance all the different stuff they need and weigh out the correct amounts. Tubs all go into the freezer and we just take it out as needed.

The Morrisons supermarket is a gold mine. We're in all the time getting the cheap yellow ticket stuff to make up the tubs for freezing. Their lamb neck bones are brilliant as well and really cheap.

• 2 weeks later...

My lab pup is in the hospital tonight.

Hit by a car over her back end. Dislocated hip and chips on her spine.

Hopefully she's going to make a full recovery but if not she could lose the use of her back legs.

My wife and I have been inconsolable for the last 4 hours.

Hopefully she's going to make a full recovery but if not she could lose the use of her back legs.

That's shit news, fingers crossed that you get the best outcome.

That is awful mate. Hope she makes a full recovery.

Jambof3tornado

Fingers crossed for you all mate.

The Real Maroonblood

Sorry to hear this.

Keep us informed.

She's been moved to the university hospital glasgow overnight.

She's currently have air removed from her chest cavity to make her comfortable.

Her hip will be put back in place tomorrow morning provided she stays strong through the night.

The fear is the spine. It's in bad shape. They can't actually understand how she's standing and wagging her tail. She's bright as a button.

As long as the swelling doesn't damage her spinal cord due to pressure she will hopefully be put on the road to recovery.

If her back end goes then it will be more serious and it will start with an MRI scan costing minimum 2k and climbing from there.

No sleep for me tonight that's for sure.

The Real Maroonblood

Her hip will be put back in place tomorrow morning provided she stays strong through the night.

The fear is the spine. It's in bad shape. They can't actually understand how she's standing and wagging her tail. She's bright as a button.

As long as the swelling doesn't damage her spinal cord due to pressure she will hopefully be put on the road to recovery.

If her back end goes then it will be more serious and it will start with an MRI scan costing minimum 2k and climbing from there.

Looks positive so here's hoping everything goes well. Edited by The Real Maroonblood

Dagger Is Back

Oh man we're all rooting for her. Hope all works out OK

Her surgery to fix the hip has gone well. Hopefully the ligaments will hold it in and heal up nicely.

The back will be supported by a splint to be ordered and fitted next week. Till then no movement and caged.

Then a further 8 weeks of cage rest and pray.

With lots of luck on our side she'll recover from here.

Jambof3tornado

Her surgery to fix the hip has gone well. Hopefully the ligaments will hold it in and heal up nicely.

The back will be supported by a splint to be ordered and fitted next week. Till then no movement and caged.

Will keep our fingers crossed. Hard times ahead but hope she does well. Puppy Oscar says best of luck too!!!

I would be totally lost with out my Springer Spaniel. She's my best mate and goes everywhere with me. Fully trained to the gun now (as well as I can train her anyway) and amazing picking the pheasants up. Hell of a good nose on her.

Number one friend and companion.