Help to Buy Scotland

Hampden Demolition

Hampden Demolition

Has anyone used this to buy their first property? We currently have the 5% deposit but from what I believe, the government would be willing to pay up to another 15%? Has it been useful for you?

Currently doing that government backed ISA thing. ?200 per month pays ?250 as long as you spend it on your first property. Which seems decent.

Slow build up of cash, but of course you can have other savings to go towards the purchase, or just not be in too much of a rush I guess.

I'm not sure how the 5% thing works tbh. Personally I think the larger the deposit the better.

I think I'll just wait for that Lifetime ISA to start.  I'm well past the age for a Help to Buy to be of any use. Besides with only a max of ?3000 bonus after the full term, seems rather low.

I'd be asking 101 questions before starting a help to buy ISA http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/help-to-buy-isa-savers-outraged-government-bonus-accounts-deposit-house-first-time-buyers-a7200511.html

Help to buy is a good idea, but when I looked at it the shitty interest rates on offer for it, they made it useless.

I'd be asking 101 questions before starting a help to buy ISA http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/help-to-buy-isa-savers-outraged-government-bonus-accounts-deposit-house-first-time-buyers-a7200511.html

Help to buy is a good idea, but when I looked at it the shitty interest rates on offer for it, they made it useless.

The way interest rates are in the banks these days, you'd be better off just shoving your savings in a box.

We just got a standard 95% mortgage from RBS.

Don't know what all the fuss is about.

You get a lower rate of interest with help to buy as effectively you have a 20% deposit.

It also allows you to have slightly bigger budget.

It allowed us to buy a reasonably sized house rather than a flat or a smaller house.

The way interest rates are in the banks these days, you'd be better off just shoving your savings in a box.

I meant with a help to buy mortgage. When I looked at it a couple of years ago the best rate on offer for the product was 3.99%apr. This may have changed but at that time the benefits of a better interest rate from 80% Ltv wasn't on offer to help to buy customers.

Juan Jose Carricondo Perez

Do you work there? :10900:

Haha! No I don't. I did speak to them when I applied for Help to Buy though.

Not entirely the same, but when I bought my flat 7-8 years ago, I took up one of these 'shared equity' type deals through the property developer.

In essence its a loan on top of my mortgage. At the time, it was great and allowed me in to a nice flat which i'd never have been able to fund on my own.

7-8 years down the line and i'm now considering moving house. The 'loan' becomes payable either after 10 years, or is taken as a percentage of the value of the property at tiem of sale.

I think the expectation is that in the 10 year period you're meant to be able to save up the value of the loan in order to be able to pay it off - but needless to say....... that hasn't happened.

I'm going to have to have a sit down and a chat with an advisor with regards to what this means for me in terms of buying my second home and how much i'll have to spend on it.

Its been a great scheme and have loved the flat I was able to buy - but i'm a wee tad worried about where it'll leave me for my second place when the time comes in a few months.

Not entirely the same, but when I bought my flat 7-8 years ago, I took up one of these 'shared equity' type deals through the property developer.

In essence its a loan on top of my mortgage. At the time, it was great and allowed me in to a nice flat which i'd never have been able to fund on my own.

7-8 years down the line and i'm now considering moving house. The 'loan' becomes payable either after 10 years, or is taken as a percentage of the value of the property at tiem of sale.

I think the expectation is that in the 10 year period you're meant to be able to save up the value of the loan in order to be able to pay it off - but needless to say....... that hasn't happened.

I'm going to have to have a sit down and a chat with an advisor with regards to what this means for me in terms of buying my second home and how much i'll have to spend on it.

Its been a great scheme and have loved the flat I was able to buy - but i'm a wee tad worried about where it'll leave me for my second place when the time comes in a few months.

Been through it with shared ownership and it was smooth enough. Stamp duty was complicated as we had to sell the property as if it was all ours so it meant we had to 'buy' it as we sold it. That cost us a couple of grand. The housing association were paid directly from my solicitor for their share and we walked away with ours.

Shared ownership/equity loans don't really work in the way they promote them. Most people either won't ever be able to afford the whole property or they'll have outgrown it by the time they can.

Erik, I'm about to go through the same process. We bought our house with Ogilvie Homes 7 years ago, we have another year left on the mortgage deal we're on and then we are selling up. I'd be very interested to hear how it goes for you if you go through the process before I do.

I'm certainly a bit concerned about the whole process when buying our second home as well.

Erik, I'm about to go through the same process. We bought our house with Ogilvie Homes 7 years ago, we have another year left on the mortgage deal we're on and then we are selling up. I'd be very interested to hear how it goes for you if you go through the process before I do.

I'm certainly a bit concerned about the whole process when buying our second home as well.

It wont be immediately, i'm due to finish paying for my car in December, so i'm waiting for that monthly outgoing to vanish before I start the process, but certainly come the turn of the year it'll be happening.

I might need to start looking in to the numbers before then though.

Will try and remember to come back to you on it when it happens.

It wont be immediately, i'm due to finish paying for my car in December, so i'm waiting for that monthly outgoing to vanish before I start the process, but certainly come the turn of the year it'll be happening.

I might need to start looking in to the numbers before then though.

Will try and remember to come back to you on it when it happens.

Sounds like you'll definitely be before us, we won't really be looking to put ours up until next October at the earliest. 

Definitely let me know how you go.

Out of interest, who's your builder?

Sounds like you'll definitely be before us, we won't really be looking to put ours up until next October at the earliest. 

Definitely let me know how you go.

Out of interest, who's your builder?

Miller Homes, although I believe the 'loan' part is managed by another company whom I cant remember the name of. Miller administered it themselves I think till fairly recently before signing it all over to third party company.

Most of it is well over my head, my understanding of mortgages / property in general is about as limited as it gets, hence i'll need to sit down and have a chat with someone and see what the script is.

Miller Homes, although I believe the 'loan' part is managed by another company whom I cant remember the name of. Miller administered it themselves I think till fairly recently before signing it all over to third party company.

Most of it is well over my head, my understanding of mortgages / property in general is about as limited as it gets, hence i'll need to sit down and have a chat with someone and see what the script is.

Same boat :lol:

I'm recently in the midst of inheriting a share in an estate but the lawyer has said that if the property is placed in trust until a certain time I can still qualify for help to buy. The official help to buy website states that those with properties held in trust do not qualify. I don;t know what is right?

Archived