How do people stay sane working in an office?

Solid Snake

Been working in an office for a few years now and I think I've officially lost my mind. This is a truly terrible way to live.

Yes, first world problems etc.

Decided I'm going to quit in a couple months and find another job, anything other than office work. Some folk in here have been working in an office for 20+ years. **** that. Seriously, **** that.

I'm guessing a few people on KB will have worked in an office for large period of their lives. Do you just accept your fate from the outset? I have no idea how people can feel fulfilled doing this for their entire lives.

Been working in an office for a few years now and I think I've officially lost my mind. This is a truly terrible way to live.

Yes, first world problems etc.

Decided I'm going to quit in a couple months and find another job, anything other than office work. Some folk in here have been working in an office for 20+ years. **** that. Seriously, **** that.

I'm guessing a few people on KB will have worked in an office for large period of their lives. Do you just accept your fate from the outset? I have no idea how people can feel fulfilled doing this for their entire lives.

It pays the bills.

I get to listen to music as I work, and sometimes feel like I have achieved something when I leave.

Fitzroy Pointon

Masturbating furiously in the toilets.  

Seriously though.  Sitting here this morning with a coffee, playing along to Pop Master, looking outside at the rain and wind, it doesn't seem so bad.  

Generally looking for escape routes for when the inevitable happens and someone snaps and decides to stalk the building with a shotgun.

Or deciding which ones will be the first to go should I be the one to go on a rampage.

That and mentally undressing any fit female colleagues.

Greggs sausage rolls on the radiator.

JKB on the computer.

Radio on.

Keeping out of the rain.

Building up flexi to go on more holidays.

Letching out the window onto Charlotte Square.

That was my office life a good few years ago.

ps. What Salad Fingers said came in handy too. If you'll pardon the expression. :whistling:

I work outside but have to spend time in the office to catch up on paper work, h&s, quotes, grants etc and it feckin kills me being in there, I'll take the rain, cold, heat, midges rather than be in an office, and the politics in an office, no, I could do without all that pish.

Masturbating furiously in the toilets.  

Seriously though.  Sitting here this morning with a coffee, playing along to Pop Master, looking outside at the rain and wind, it doesn't seem so bad.

In the toilets :facepalm:

The Code of Conduct is pretty clear on that one.

Pretty awkward when someone tries to skooch past you to wash their hands though. Inconsiderate.

Me and the Mrs had enough and left, I'd been 15 years in that environment. We're selling the house and working in factories and coffeeshops now, we'll be looking to rent somewhere small and cheap once we sell.

Our plan is to save for a year then flit to Spain where we hope to get the balance right, in the sun. We bought a small printing press, maybe we can print holiday merchandise and live off a tourist stall, maybe we'll have to work 4 days a week and live frugally.

But I'm never going back, I don't give a **** how much they pay

Oddly enough I was chatting about this earlier. We are contractors and currently juggling 4 sites between the 2 of us. Driving about from job to job. I was wondering if I could hack the office life.

The same journey to work. The same lift. Same desk. Same people. Same chat. Not for me.

On the other hand, I would like my son to work in an office environment.

Sent from my VF-895N using Tapatalk

1. Never sit in a position where anyone else can see your screen

2. Always clear your screen before you go to the lavvy or the Hibbies will post on kickback on your behalf

3. Never start a new project before 10am or after 3pm. Those are times for coffee's, briefing, contemplation, egg and bacon rolls and reflection.

4. Don't download dodgy software on to your work PC or laptop. Bring your own device

5. Don't go to work without headphones but not the type where you cant hear your phone.

6. Never confide in anyone that you watch box sets in slacker moments. They will grass you up eventually. Usually at the Christmas party.

7. Never go drinking with Poles, Czechs or folk in their 30s. They can drink more than you and you'll make a fool of yourself

8. Never admit to an office romance but be prepared to discuss others indiscretions to get you through the day.

9. Never open/close blinds or windows without getting a majority consent. NEVER EVER Adjust the heating without the 100% consent of the womenfolk

10.Never agree to take the keys, lock up, open up. Give lifts. Make coffee. Go for rolls. Contribute to the lottery. Organise social events.

Get a banana boat company going somewhere, and watch the money roll in.

If you need someone to drive the speedboat. PM's...

Got my powerboat level 3 bud, you can chill and get a skinful ;)

Edit - that should say level 2, ICC equivalent

Me and the Mrs had enough and left, I'd been 15 years in that environment. We're selling the house and working in factories and coffeeshops now, we'll be looking to rent somewhere small and cheap once we sell.

Our plan is to save for a year then flit to Spain where we hope to get the balance right, in the sun. We bought a small printing press, maybe we can print holiday merchandise and live off a tourist stall, maybe we'll have to work 4 days a week and live frugally.

All the best, I hope it works out for you both. Life is too short not to enjoy what you do, this sinks in to me everyday I go to work, love it and would hate to do something I didn't enjoy.

Could never do it.

I think I have the best job in the world tbh. I'm out in different forests on a daily basis. Kicking about with chainsaws, tractors, diggers, skidders, quads. Yeah it's hard graft and the weather can be rough sometimes but I genuinely wouldn't change it.

The very thought of an office job makes me shudder.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Could never do it.

I think I have the best job in the world tbh. I'm out in different forests on a daily basis. Kicking about with chainsaws, tractors, diggers, skidders, quads. Yeah it's hard graft and the weather can be rough sometimes but I genuinely wouldn't change it.

How do you get in such a field? Any qualifications needed

How do you get in such a field? Any qualifications needed

I was lucky enough to land an apprenticeship 4 years ago (aged 25) which gave me some certificates. Had little work experience prior to this and just showed enthusiasm and a general interest for the outdoors. Also have a relevant HND which I think helped but not entirely sure its necessary.

Ranger/warden jobs don't require many (if any) certificates although they do help. Keep an eye out on countryside jobs for vacancies and volunteering opportunities if you are considering it.

All the best, I hope it works out for you both. Life is too short not to enjoy what you do, this sinks in to me everyday I go to work, love it and would hate to do something I didn't enjoy.

Cheers dude, I really can't understand how I went so long to be honest! It now seems utterly insane to accept so much unhappiness in one of the main areas of life, but it's really hard to make that big a change, and scary too

Could never do it.

How d'you get on with coping with the Lyme Disease symptoms? I've heard it can fair take it out of you...  :o  :ermm:  :huh:  

Nah, seriously, I'd seriously consider taking my chances with the ticks than go back into some shitawful, corporate, open-plan, office environment. (Ticks vs. back-stabbing, two-faced, manipulative, self-serving, sociopathic, "colleagues" and managers...?!?!?!? Tricky one...)

2. Always clear your screen before you go to the lavvy or the Hibbies will post on kickback on your behalf

I agree  , got banned for about 6 months  , the hibby I worked with put something about Romanov    ,  I tried to explain to the mods but was told it was my pc so my problem

I was lucky enough to land an apprenticeship 4 years ago (aged 25) which gave me some certificates. Had little work experience prior to this and just showed enthusiasm and a general interest for the outdoors. Also have a relevant HND which I think helped but not entirely sure its necessary.

Ranger/warden jobs don't require many (if any) certificates although they do help. Keep an eye out on countryside jobs for vacancies and volunteering opportunities if you are considering it.

Yeah will keep an eye out.

HND Forrestry? Considered applying for that a while back.

Could never do it.

I now picture you as a Bear Grylls character   :) Working and living in the wild

Only wild animals for company .... :)

I could never hack an office job....I work from home and travel quite a bit as well, 2 days in Germany this week and 3 working from home

Next 2 weeks working from home then off to NY for a weeks work

I'd love to find myself another job but there are no good jobs out there that I'd stand a chance of getting.

I've done around 12 years of office work and desperate to get out.

The NHS appeals to me, I used to work for them and i actually didn't mind it, should never have left.

I now picture you as a Bear Grylls character   :) Working and living in the wild

Only wild animals for company .... :)

He lives in Aboyne so you're pretty much spot-on.

I'd love to find myself another job but there are no good jobs out there that I'd stand a chance of getting.

I've done around 12 years of office work and desperate to get out.

The NHS appeals to me, I used to work for them and i actually didn't mind it, should never have left.

Me too but opposite worked outside all my life.

Finding it more difficult as im older.

Whos going to pay me what i get now to learn.

One benefit i think to working outside is i dont think i could handle a hangover in an office.

Kennedy Bakircioglu

About four years ago I posted something similar (more about office jobs being unfulfilling rather than being enclosed/inside/same walls etc). Stuck out two and a bit more years with the bank I was working with at the time then decided I had had enough on the Tuesday and the Wednesday was my last day. I started at the new job shortly after and a year and a bit later I now really enjoy my jo. It's long hours at times (marketing role), but I take pride in saying where I work now and am happier in life. Its a smaller office with less pay but overall it is great. I'd disagree that office life is always terrible. Don't rule out office work, find a company or person you want to work for, whether that be office or outdoors based and you'll quickly feel more motivated in the workplace.

Craig Gordons Gloves

I guess it depends on the work you are doing.  I've been office based for years, although i do have the benefit of traveling once or twice a month and also not being tied to my desk from 9-5 given we don't have strict hours.  I could imagine if you're doing a mundane job over and over each day in an office it could become quite dull but if your work is varied it's quite good.  I get to stare out the window at I494 whenever i'm bored and as there are over 4000 people in the office, a wee trip down to the hub in the summer is a welcome distraction if it's needed.

I regret massively getting in to the office working trap. Finding alternatives is the tricky bit when thats all your CV will show

Worked on the queensferry crossing driving telehandlers then got sick of the weather and long hours so jacked it in and worked in an office this year when my mate gave me a job in his department, tbf it was decent as it was just the three of us on our own and one of those was my mate who was also the boss of the department, after 6 months I realised that office work just isnt for me. Been working back on the telehandlers for 3 weeks now and I could not be happier to be back, missed the patter, the graft and cutting about in a forklift all day, wages are almost double to office work too.

Not everyones cup of tea and certainly not the most glamorous workplace but theres alright money to be made in construction if you have the right tickets.

Just prior to leaving the job, I sat beside a guy who continually burped and blew his nose very loudly. This did not bother me in the least. What really did drive me round the bend was that the guy opposite me used to love all this and would kill himself laughing at every burp and nose trumpet. Every one. Daily. Throughout the day. Every week. He would also be trying to catch my eye in an attempt to share the joy of burp and nose noises. All the time. Every day. Every event.

Burp.. tee hee hee. Hooot.. ho ho ho hoo hoo.

That can actually destroy you.

I guess it depends on the work you are doing.  I've been office based for years, although i do have the benefit of traveling once or twice a month and also not being tied to my desk from 9-5 given we don't have strict hours.  I could imagine if you're doing a mundane job over and over each day in an office it could become quite dull but if your work is varied it's quite good.  I get to stare out the window at I494 whenever i'm bored and as there are over 4000 people in the office, a wee trip down to the hub in the summer is a welcome distraction if it's needed.

True, all depends on the work you do, which sounds pretty desperate for many on here.

I worked Project Manager in construction retail fit-out mainly, at least when I was in the office, I could get some work done.

Depends on what your office is like and what you're doing.

I share with two other folk. We have a bit banter, we've got a playlist with 3000 songs and some of it is quite random. I do a lot of planning and problem solving in my role and I'm on my feet frequently around the building.

Oh, and I'm on this site at times when I need a brief zone out ;) 

Depends on what you are doing in an office, but difficult to just generalise.

If you are doing an entry level repetitive job for low money, then yeah it is not going to be much fun. If you are doing a job with a bit more variety and for an Ok salary then it's alright.

I've worked in an office for 27 years, since I left school. I've almost saved enough money for a semi-automatic machine gun....

15 years. I have no transferable skills. Nobody would pay me what I get paid anywhere else. The money allows me to go on plenty holidays every year and enjoy my life out of work. Generally most of the people I have worked with it have liked. The job itself can be boring at times but all things considered it's bearable.

Interested to know if you are learning the lingo already mate, would definitely recommend it, especially if you are starting a business over there.

i just think it depends on what your line of work was when you first started working which depends on how you see office work

i worked in an office for about 15 years, realised after all these years that it wasn't for me. Been working in a wood factory in cowie for 9 months on shifts and it's absolute Tam Kite!!!

Money is decent but absolute dross so heading back to the office world next week

i just personally think it's what you first do at the start

Good banter in an office & a good set up goes a long way in making office work that bit better

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Interested to know if you are learning the lingo already mate, would definitely recommend it, especially if you are starting a business over there.

We've got some courses but haven't got past the basics yet. We're likely to take proper conversational lessons before we go, and one of my Mrs' spanish mates has offered to help when we move into amsterdam, which should be in a couple of months.

All in all I reckon we'll be OK when we turn our minds to it - we learned enough Dutch to know we're not total language retards, and they say Spanish is easier

I did work experience in an office at sixteen . Knew then it wouldn't be for me. I've been lucky enough to work all over the world and work in environments from -50 to +50 degrees. I also get to travel and play sport round the world and still get paid . When I'm out doing that stuff and think of my mate stuck in an office meeting i know I made the right choice for me. But each to their own and if it's for you then fair play!

Spent two years in an office many moons ago. I think I left around 20 years ago to the day. It was absolute shite!

Much happier being out and about around different people and not having anyone look over my shoulder.

Quit bitching and just thank your lucky stars you're not in a retail job!

17 years and counting. I'd love an office job but no chance of finding one that starts me on anything close to what I make at the moment, so I just try my best to get through everyday without getting a bit stabby...

Not read any of the responses but wouldn't be surprised if this has been covered....

Swearing! I find letting off steam and swearing a lot helped me. Apart from the time my MD heard me calling people a bunch of *****.

I find that caffeine, nicotine, cynicism & sarcasm make the days bearable. Also the fact that i'm nearly fifty helps as I can see my pension in the hazy distance, every working day is a day closer to retirement.

Stephane Grappelli

Like a lot of people have said, it's far too easy to generalise. There are lots of different types of offices and different types of office jobs.

Working with good people that you can have a bit banter with definitely helps though.

I work in a wee office with 6 good folk. Radio on working away, get the job done and have a laugh. Big open plan though, that's a different story

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

Archived