Pubs/bars in edinburgh

Eddie

My mates call "The Kings Arms" Jakey Central. It's a scream. It looks such a welcoming neighbourhood pub from the outside but once you get it, it's a mad house. It's the only pub I've ever been in where I've seen a local come in, tie his dug to a table, get a pint, leave and do his shopping at Scotmid and return after 45 minutes with a fish supper which he then devoured. Bar staff didn't bat an eyelid. You get a laugh watching tourists trying to figure what they've walked into. Also a laugh at the "banter" amongst the jakey locals especially on Karaoke nights. As has been said - worth a visit for just the last one!

Yeah, it's a bit erm... different!

Goldstone Wonder

The Anchor, Gunner, Ferry Boat and Doockit(sp)!

Not even sure if some of these are still open but it will be an interesting afternoon anyway.

Was waking past the Anchor a few months ago. Two big guys outside. Stripped to the waist, having a square go with an even bigger guy being the ref. They had a dash for a bit then shook hands and went back in!!

Pure old school

The Gunner is currently shut. The Anchor is sadly now my local pub. A truly scary gaffe. Do not under any circumstances let the local know you're a Hearts fan!

Another one here for the Stockbridge option. There are a few other decent pubs close by - St Vincent, Clarks Bar, Smithies, Cumberland Bar, Star Bar, Kays bar etc.  

The Gunner is currently shut. The Anchor is sadly now my local pub. A truly scary gaffe. Do not under any circumstances let the local know you're a Hearts fan!

Another one here for the Stockbridge option. There are a few other decent pubs close by - St Vincent, Clarks Bar, Smithies, Cumberland Bar, Star Bar, Kays bar etc.

I'm temporary living in Wardie. It's entertaining just having a wander to Granton Superstore!! Some characters round here.

Is there not a hearts flag up above the door?

Surprised no ones mentioned the New Town. Kay's, :toff:, The Cumberland and The Star Bar. The beauty being you could start or finish in Stockbridge or Thistle St.

Good choices,Is the Star Bar still open?

Morningside has a lot of good pubs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

:thumb:

Morningside has five pubs.

Four of them are good.

The Merlin is a hing out for the less desirables.

William H. Bonney

If you choose Morningside don't indulge the assholes who own and run the Canny Man!

I could be wrong but I thought I heard it's under new ownership.

I could be wrong but I thought I heard it's under new ownership.

No.

Still the Kerr family.

The son, Tristram is a good lad.

Another vote for Stockbridge.

All great pubs, all very different.

Have to agree that the Canny Man's owners are weird as hell, wouldn't go near it.

If you're going to the Shore, the Carrier's Quarters is great.

King Arms :wtf:

The Kings Arms was my pub of choice when I lived in Edinburgh. I also worked there for a couple of years. Best pub in the area back then.

The Real Maroonblood

Surprised no ones mentioned the New Town. Kay's, :toff:, The Cumberland and The Star Bar. The beauty being you could start or finish in Stockbridge or Thistle St.

That's a good shout.

Goldstone Wonder

I'm temporary living in Wardie. It's entertaining just having a wander to Granton Superstore!! Some characters round here.

Is there not a hearts flag up above the door?

I stay in the new flats on Waterfront Avenue. Walking along Lower Granton Road on the day they won the cup was entertaining! There is a Hibs flag above the door at the Anchor.

I stay in the new flats on Waterfront Avenue. Walking along Lower Granton Road on the day they won the cup was entertaining! There is a Hibs flag above the door at the Anchor.

Sure there's a Hearts one as well, I'll look again. Thankfully I wasn't staying in Wardie in May

Archived