Told off for swearing

Snedds76

Hard to comment on this without really knowing the exact circumstances and context of what was said by both parties.

If someones gone off on some raj rant with more sweary words than non sweary ones, and a steward politely reminds them to keep it in check - I've no real issue with that.

For me that's a million miles away than a scenario whereby someone lets one wee sweary word out and has some power hungry steward come down on them like a ton of bricks with threats of ejection and banning orders being chucked about etc.

From whats been said so far - i'm inclined to say what happened here was more a case of the former than the latter.

It most definitely wasn't the former trust me maximum 3 F bombs in a couple of sentences which as tame compared to Mr Tourettes accross from us!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

True story

About 13 or so years ago we played Celtic at Tynecastle in the league cup. Midweek game.

Took my Man U mate along and he spent the whole game shouting at the ginger c""t right back for Celtic - a young Stephen Pearson.

He didn't just get told off for swearing - he got asked to leave.

Nothing to do with Ann Budge believe it or not.

People need to realise that business imperatives dictate how football clubs set their standards.

If clubs want more families to attend and a more diverse crowd, then standards have to be higher.

You wouldn't walk up Princes street yelling obscenities, don't expect HMFC to accept that sort of degenerate behavior.

Sent from my SM-G928I using Tapatalk

Also it might help to attract a better standard of sponsor in the future too. 

I remember a regular in the Main Stand coming out with the poetic lines (addressed to the referree) "Get tae f... ya f...ing f...!!"

Haha probably had an IQ of about 20!

This thread is mental. In a world where kids are hearing swearing on a daily basis on TV, or in song, where non entity celebs spew the f word for far vacuous reasons than us, us football fans are slated for swearing? Really?

There's a real danger here. People will get shite arguments about swearing mixed up with Ann's banning of the Gorgie FTP brigade. They're two different things altogether but lumping them together could see people sitting at Tynie feart to open their mouths for fear of reprisal. All because they can't tell the difference between "**** off" and "**** the pope". It's a slippery slope and we need to be careful what we wish for here.

It's crazy reading guys on here slating others for swearing. Absolutely mental. It the football, people get passionate, what's the problem?? Kids at the game? Well there has always been bairns at the fitba (haven't we all been kids at one point? Didn't we all hear swearing at the games growing up?) so why all of a sudden must we change?

Again, at a time when Keith Lemon and Gordon Ramsey are effin and blinding on TV every other night for no reason at all, us fitba fans are meant to curb our language, even when it's as a result of us being fiercely passionate about what we are watching? Nah, surely not!!

This thread is mental. In a world where kids are hearing swearing on a daily basis on TV, or in song, where non entity celebs spew the f word for far vacuous reasons than us, us football fans are slated for swearing? Really?

There's a real danger here. People will get shite arguments about swearing mixed up with Ann's banning of the Gorgie FTP brigade. They're two different things altogether but lumping them together could see people sitting at Tynie feart to open their mouths for fear of reprisal. All because they can't tell the difference between "**** off" and "**** the pope". It's a slippery slope and we need to be careful what we wish for here.

It's crazy reading guys on here slating others for swearing. Absolutely mental. It the football, people get passionate, what's the problem?? Kids at the game? Well there has always been bairns at the fitba (haven't we all been kids at one point? Didn't we all hear swearing at the games growing up?) so why all of a sudden must we change?

Again, at a time when Keith Lemon and Gordon Ramsey are effin and blinding on TV every other night for no reason at all, us fitba fans are meant to curb our language, even when it's as a result of us being fiercely passionate about what we are watching? Nah, surely not!!

I think you have summed it up perfectly.

Do the people who are so worried about their kids hearing sweary words at the football stop them watching TV ?

I don't really approve of bad language myself but if there is one place where a bit of slack should be cut its at the football.

My Dad started taking me to the Hearts matches when I was 6yo and believe me there was plenty of swearing at the match then. He never swore at home in front of the kids and us kids would never have dared to swear at home either.

Nowadays there is swearing everywhere but it's not allowed at the football. Strange

times we live in.

Sometimes in football frustration gets to you but other people seem to think waving a paper is ok im different ie passion

In English please?

That wasn't a question its a answer as my god people ive been near in last 30 years at tynie are colourful but now we have family section if you dont want too many colourful words go there but when i was young the language wasn't a problem i was there for the football

Stephane Grappelli

I would never have a go at another fan for swearing (mainly because I'm too scared I might get a bat in the mooth) but I think people should have a bit consideration for those around them, especially if there are children nearby.  We all get passionate at the football but if all you do at the games is belt out swear words you are showing yourself up to be a bit of a thicko.

We_are_the_Hearts

I would never have a go at another fan for swearing (mainly because I'm too scared I might get a bat in the mooth) but I think people should have a bit consideration for those around them, especially if there are children nearby.  We all get passionate at the football but if all you do at the games is belt out swear words you are showing yourself up to be a bit of a thicko.

Why do people connect swearing with intelligence? Always found this a bit odd and in my experience they don't seem to be linked.

Stephane Grappelli

Why do people connect swearing with intelligence? Always found this a bit odd and in my experience they don't seem to be linked.

For me it just shows a limited vocabulary.  More intelligent people can express themselves well without resorting to vulgarity, obscenity and filth.

We_are_the_Hearts

For me it just shows a limited vocabulary.  More intelligent people can express themselves well without resorting to vulgarity, obscenity and filth.

Maybe we could get a chair shouter at the match then, who can do this without swearing. And the rest can shout "hear, hear" if they agree.

jaUuA67.png

Swearing is not the issue, it's the antics of those nearby or officials that cause the problem when it detracts from dross on the park.

I think there's a level or amount people can be expected to put up with before they say something and ask someone to tone it down a little,when they take kids to a football match. Swearing doesn't bother me one bit neither does people that get very animated it's football it's passionate some people react more than others. My ST is in the Gorgie Stand and I have heard some choice phrases from around me. Will it stop me going ? No. Will it stop me taking my kids ? No.

That said if someone was sitting next to me with and suffering from football tourettes while I had my kids I would ask him/her to tone it down a little once it got to a certain level.

Son Of Anarchy

Swearing is not the issue, it's the antics of those nearby or officials that cause the problem when it detracts from dross on the park.

Eh?

This 100% I started the thread as I was completely miffed at being asked to watch what I was shouting after a couple of sweary words, will it stop me in the future? Will it ***

When my old man took me to my first game 30 years ago you just accepted that you would hear swearing as that's what happens in football grounds whether you agree with it or not. Totally agree any form of racism or sectarian abuse then definitely it should be an ejection not a warning but a few wee sweary words?! Do me a favour! Also some of the comments about linking intelligence to folk swearing is absolutely comical!!

Stephane Grappelli

Maybe we could get a chair shouter at the match then, who can do this without swearing. And the rest can shout "hear, hear" if they agree.

jaUuA67.png

Magnificent idea.

Archived