Told off for swearing

Snedds76

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Football is one of the social situations where swearing as fair game, imo of course.

If someone being excessive, slavering and veins near bursting out their head, then aye have a word but anywhere apart from the Gorgie and I think a wee swear is sound.

Son Of Anarchy

I thought I was going to be ejected for letting one off. Seriously eggy stink bomb type one. Guy beside me went nuts, effing and blinding. Female steward gave him it tight. Bet he's spewing about it tonight, literally ;)

Let's not swear in family section if possible but the rest of the ground it's ok. Steward should have been told to **** off & mind his own business.

Been following the hearts for 30 years and today I hit an all time low....told off from a steward for ranting off about Paterson after yet another woeful cross in the second half! Forgot I was at the cinema and not a football match!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can't stand the way football is going these days football is a game of emotion an absolute disgrace don't these steward's understand football .

I wanted to report someone for low vocabulary as all they did was shout very loudly 'prick' every few minutes, though on occasion mixing it up a with a naughty word and the player/person it was aimed at.

He was spot on with shouting about Imrie being a prick but I was disappointed there was no leading swear word.

This tube was near us.

His patter was embarrassing & actually getting really boring.

Even my young son was shaking his head & cringing for the poor guy.

I tried to explain to him that I thought he probably had Tourettes.

I don't see what's wrong with having a wee bit respect for the people around you,

a bit of swearing is fair enough, but to be constantly shouting it at the top of your voice just gets a bit much.

Surely it's not too much just to tone it down a bit. 

Wait!.... a steward actually done something?

Normally they're good at taking a bottle of juice from someone.For what they earn I'm surprised they even face up to a supporter.Are they not 'here for your safety'.And for what it's worth I don't think it's either big or brave to tell them to F off

Governor Tarkin

I was speaking to the steward at the top of the stairs between sections F and G yesterday.

I remarked that it was unusual to see a steward up there for the duration of the game, to which he replied that they'll be posting someone up there as standard now due to complaints about naughty language and behaviour in that part of the ground.

Maybe he was talking pish.

Can anyone clarify?

I take my kids and I couldn't care less if somebody swears in front of them. It's my choice to take them and amazingly enough they still get on with their lives after hearing a bloke shout a few swear words. Budge would love your type right enough.

It's not much effort to shout other words unless you have an incredibly stunted vocabulary. I swear all the time among friends but will show a bit of respect and rein it in when there are lots of bairns in earshot.

People who foam at the mouth at every bad pass are a bit strange tbh. ;)

The guy behind me is like that. Total throbber.

He's definitely on for that stress-related heart attack by October.

It's not much effort to shout other words unless you have an incredibly stunted vocabulary. I swear all the time among friends but will show a bit of respect and rein it in when there are lots of bairns in earshot.

Totally & absolutely spot on.

That's exactly what I am saying.

Anyone who says or acts otherwise seriously need to take a long hard look at themselves if they really can't control their self.

I swear along with mates, but I've never sworn in front of my son, parents older relatives etc & don't intend to. I know when not to. So, why should others?

Is it really that difficult?

I'm as passionate about my team, I just don't need to have an attack of Tourette's to prove it. 

Why do we do it?We are all normal members of society,yet on a Saturday we forget everything.Abuse seems the norm.I can't answer that question and I've been going to football most of my life.

the sub goalie

Yup, totally agree.

We sat in the Gorgie last season and have moved back to the Wheatfield this season mainly due to the woman who sat behind us. Now I'm no shrinking violet but she was unbearable, every second word was c u next Tuesday and we left each game covered in her spit.

If you get that worked up about a misplaced pass when 2-0 up at home to Ross County then your getting life wrong.

Lord Beni of Gorgie

I heard of two pensioners telling each other to f off yesterday, apparently over Souttars only misplaced pass of the day. One apparently you would think is Souttars grandfather the other just turns up to yell abuse at any mistakes.

Even at pension age they froth so don't panic Snedds it was just your bad luck to find the steward who was awake

Should say this abomination took place in Section D of all places

Francis Albert

Spot on. I have to admit I swear a lot at football but if one of the parents of kids around me, or a steward, asked me to stop I would rather shamefacedly do so. Not get all affronted.

heartgarfunkel

Methinks this smells of I fancy the steward bursd and am hoping someone kens her and arranges a 'reconciliation' meeting. :thumb::silly:

Just to be clear. We're talking about not swearing at the football now. AND being annoyed at Paterson for being angry at team mates?

Budge. Your work is done. We're now the nicest, quietest, politest fans in football. How cute.

Just to be clear. We're talking about not swearing at the football now. AND being annoyed at Paterson for being angry at team mates?

Budge. Your work is done. We're now the nicest, quietest, politest fans in football. How cute.

Don't think there is much chance of you qualifying on any of these points TBF.

People who swear have always been spoken to if someone complains or the stewards/police think it excessive. The vast majority of peopl at football who swear don't get spoken to, in my experience. Note that I have no idea what the OP shouted or how bad, or not, it was.

People will continue to swear at football imo.

That bit was intended as sarcasm mate!

Sorry.  I was reading quickly and probably didn't need to make a comment on it.

Sorry. I was reading quickly and probably didn't need to make a comment on it.

No worries mate I did start the post as more of a laugh than anything else seen as my mates were giving me a bit of a ribbing, yes I swear at times during the game but no consistently like some of the bangers around me!

I'm in the Gorgie with my two kids 8 & 11 and when we hear a swear word I tell them that's just part of football but for it to be in every sentence, is it needed, especially prick & c unt I have been going with them for 8 years but never feel the need to swear but say I was with the boys in section N I probably would but I do always respect kids around me.

...a bit disco

No worries mate I did start the post as more of a laugh than anything else seen as my mates were giving me a bit of a ribbing, yes I swear at times during the game but no consistently like some of the bangers around me!

I sit in S. Were you the bloke who was unlucky enough to let rip just as it went a bit quiet?

Turned a few heads right enough!

:biggrin:

Jambof3tornado

Kids hear bad language at school.

Swearing shows you have a good handle on the english language.

And its cool.

Go F yourself!

I sit in S. Were you the bloke who was unlucky enough to let rip just as it went a bit quiet?

No I just had a wee shout about Paterson mate with a couple of F bombs and that was it, we sit just above where the wife's and girlfriends sit. Funny thing is there was a guy along from us that was cursing constantly but the female steward said nothing to him. As I say I have the odd shout and swear just like the next guy and certainly won't stop but certainly not one of these guys that constantly rants and swears!

...a bit disco

No I just had a wee shout about Paterson mate with a couple of F bombs and that was it, we sit just above where the wife's and girlfriends sit. Funny thing is there was a guy along from us that was cursing constantly but the female steward said nothing to him. As I say I have the odd shout and swear just like the next guy and certainly won't stop but certainly not one of these guys that constantly rants and swears!

Keep on swearing buddy.

Can't be as annoying as the bloke sitting next to me who, every 5 minutes, came out with 'timewasting referee?'.

Over and over and over and...

I admit I modify my language around 'bairns' as well, but isn't it all a bit fallacious really?

What are we protecting them from? Growing up to be adults who swear like us?

I started taking my son to the games a good few years back and told him that he would hear swearing a lot and also that I would swear there, whereas I dont really do so too much in everyday life. He accepted this with no issues, also swore at the games but it didnt become any kind of issue at all.

I honestly do not see the problem with it. The danger with this type of thing is that you take the unique passion out of following a football club then you take the unique loyalty out of it, as well.

Normally they're good at taking a bottle of juice from someone.For what they earn I'm surprised they even face up to a supporter.Are they not 'here for your safety'.And for what it's worth I don't think it's either big or brave to tell them to F off

I reckon most of them would s**t themselves if there was a serious incident and would be clueless in what to do.Although I've seen a lot of bullying of fans by their sia guards and supervisors.

Swearing is part of playing football at an adult level. Don't like to hear it when kids under 16 are playing but there's no problem with it at Tynecastle. The steward should have been told to **** off

You talking about the bloke down at the front row ?

He sits quiet as a mouse for an hour or so

then it all seems to build up and out comes the rant.

Saturday's rant was the funniest yet Dougie Imrie was getting it tight.

Luckily no stewards around.

Lots of sensible posts on this subject.

It would be an idea for someone to bring

these things to Mrs Budge's attention that while we love her to bits for all she has done for the club we don't want to sanitise football so much that it loses its characters from the stands.

...a bit disco

You talking about the bloke down at the front row ?

He sits quiet as a mouse for an hour or so

then it all seems to build up and out comes the rant.

Saturday's rant was the funniest yet Dougie Imrie was getting it tight.

Luckily no stewards around.

Lots of sensible posts on this subject.

It would be an idea for someone to bring

these things to Mrs Budge's attention that while we love her to bits for all she has done for the club we don't want to sanitise football so much that it loses its characters from the stands.

That'll be him.

Saturdays was award winning!

jambos are go!

There is only one thing worse than sitting next to a loudmouth at a football match. Its sitting next to a loudmouth who swears like a trouper. IMO.

Known a few who wont or stopped going because of bad language. Cant recall anyone who went to hear it.

We_are_the_Hearts

There is only one thing worse than sitting next to a loudmouth at a football match. Its sitting next to a loudmouth who swears like a trouper. IMO.

Known a few who wont or stopped going because of bad language. Cant recall anyone who went to hear it.

Really? Say's more about them to be honest.

People need to realise that business imperatives dictate how football clubs set their standards.

If clubs want more families to attend and a more diverse crowd, then standards have to be higher.

You wouldn't walk up Princes street yelling obscenities, don't expect HMFC to accept that sort of degenerate behavior.

Sent from my SM-G928I using Tapatalk

I think you will find more people who stop going to matches if behaviour standards are to tight. People won't want to run the risk of being criminalised just because of a wee swear at the football.

It's strange that there is all this tut tutting about swearing at the football when in an awful lot of families it's common for parents to use bad language in front of their children. That bothers me far more actually but when I have mentioned it to friends and family the answer is "well they hear it everywhere nowadays anyway". I prefer to keep my swearing in moderation and mostly at the football.

Baird, King and Michael

My young son and I have had a season ticket in the Gorgie Stand for years. The swearing in there is as bad as any other area of the ground to be honest especially in the bigger games. Once or twice over the years I've asked people to tone it down a bit but normally you get met with an aggressive response which can make things uncomfortable for kids. I'm not a sweetie rustler, not easily offended, can understand that people are going to get animated and annoyed at the football but sometimes it is breathtaking the lack of self-control regularly displayed by grown men and women at football games especially in areas that are supposed to be designated as family friendly. In recent years I've watched a fair few games across both the English Premiership and Championship and I have to say there seems to be considerably less swearing at games down there. Hearts need to encourage as many new supporters and families through the doors as possible, I would hope that fans could self police themselves on this issue. Get passionate, get animated, moan at the ref or at a misplaced pass but try and have at least some self awareness about who may be around you in the stadium.

Hard to comment on this without really knowing the exact circumstances and context of what was said by both parties.

If someones gone off on some raj rant with more sweary words than non sweary ones, and a steward politely reminds them to keep it in check - I've no real issue with that.

For me that's a million miles away than a scenario whereby someone lets one wee sweary word out and has some power hungry steward come down on them like a ton of bricks with threats of ejection and banning orders being chucked about etc.

From whats been said so far - i'm inclined to say what happened here was more a case of the former than the latter.

I wanted to report someone for low vocabulary as all they did was shout very loudly 'prick' every few minutes, though on occasion mixing it up a with a naughty word and the player/person it was aimed at.

He was spot on with shouting about Imrie being a prick but I was disappointed there was no leading swear word.

was that guy at the roseburn stand?  heard a guy use the prick word a lot on sat but mixed it up with ginger prick at times. lol

was that guy at the roseburn stand?  heard a guy use the prick word a lot on sat but mixed it up with ginger prick at times. lol

This

I know of some who are put off going because of the aggressive, and foul language - no need it in, especially in the Family stand!  Passion does not mean you have to swear!

My young son and I have had a season ticket in the Gorgie Stand for years. The swearing in there is as bad as any other area of the ground to be honest especially in the bigger games. Once or twice over the years I've asked people to tone it down a bit but normally you get met with an aggressive response which can make things uncomfortable for kids. I'm not a sweetie rustler, not easily offended, can understand that people are going to get animated and annoyed at the football but sometimes it is breathtaking the lack of self-control regularly displayed by grown men and women at football games especially in areas that are supposed to be designated as family friendly. In recent years I've watched a fair few games across both the English Premiership and Championship and I have to say there seems to be considerably less swearing at games down there. Hearts need to encourage as many new supporters and families through the doors as possible, I would hope that fans could self police themselves on this issue. Get passionate, get animated, moan at the ref or at a misplaced pass but try and have at least some self awareness about who may be around you in the stadium.

Well said

Why can't the people who want to swear move away from the Gorgie stand!

Archived