Ukraine U21s v Scotland U21s

Footballfirst

Luscious Laryea

How the feck did he get the job in the first place ?

Any time I have heard him on the radio or seen him on the TV, even before this job, he has come across as an utter welt and a slavering erse.

Have thought the guy was a fud ever since he dropped Jack Harper because he wanted a big physical laddie.  Utterly pathetic for under 21 football.

Footballfirst

Our strongest U21 side would have included Hamilton, Paterson and Tierney as they remain eligible for the duration of the tournament qualifying. e.g. Jack is now 22.

Diadora Van Basten

I would want the next Scotland manager to be someone who played for the 21s has full caps and managerial experience.

Perhaps Eric Black, Paul McStay or John Collins would be good shouts.

...a bit disco

I would want the next Scotland manager to be someone who played for the 21s has full caps and managerial experience.

Which means we'll end up with Billy Stark.

Again.

On paper colins would be a shout but appears to be disliked everywhere he goes

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk

Diadora Van Basten

On paper colins would be a shout but appears to be disliked everywhere he goes

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk

My thoughts as well he should be ideal for the role but Michael Stewart said it took him five mins to lose the dressing room.

I am struggling to think of other successful under 21 internationalists.

Jambof3tornado

He's done the honourable thing. I stand by my post though with the idiots at Hamden.

Stood down but still remains in a job within the national setup.

Sick of this jobs for the boys mentality.

No wonder we are regressing as a footballing nation.

Diadora Van Basten

Which means we'll end up with Billy Stark.

Again.

I hope not as an under 21 player you would hope to play for someone with a bit of stature in the game.

Stark was a good player but unless you were an avid fan of Fergusons Aberdeen then he is unlucky to inspire you.

jamboinglasgow

Scot gemmill stepping up from u17s.

He makes more sense, has done well with the U17s getting them to 3 U17 european competitions in a row. Seems a well thought of coach.

I would say to argue its the players that are useless and coach should not be blamed is wrong. Talent wise we have the best group for years, yet it has done much worse than Billy Stark who at least had the team pushing for qualification (though had my criticisms of him.)

Jambof3tornado

He makes more sense, has done well with the U17s getting them to 3 U17 european competitions in a row. Seems a well thought of coach.

I would say to argue its the players that are useless and coach should not be blamed is wrong. Talent wise we have the best group for years, yet it has done much worse than Billy Stark who at least had the team pushing for qualification (though had my criticisms of him.)

What do you think about sbragia being kept on as a mentor?

Keep hearing it's the best group of players but I don't see anything positive personally. Maybe others are also moving forward quicker & we just can't keep up.

We_are_the_Hearts

Keep hearing it's the best group of players but I don't see anything positive personally. Maybe others are also moving forward quicker & we just can't keep up.

The best 3 are Tierney, Burke and McGinn. That's why they are in the top squad. The rest did nothing to prove they are ready for the step up. Poor campaign. I'm still convinced the PY system doesn't produce players with enough character or a win at all costs mentality. We are becoming soft. Get back to S Forms.

Bazzas right boot

Good to see our young lads coming home full of confidence after the international games....

Son Of Anarchy

Szbragia has quit but apparently will keep an as yet unspecified role within the SFA.

Head feckin tea boy ?

Office cleaner ?

What a farce. He should be emptied out the door totally.

Yet another case of jobs for the boys. You just have to look at who's in charge of referees ffs. Farcical.

My thoughts as well he should be ideal for the role but Michael Stewart said it took him five mins to lose the dressing room.

I am struggling to think of other successful under 21 internationalists.

MS also told us Levein picks the team.

I have no doubt Collins rubs up people the wrong way, but he has a very strong and varied playing career and was an excellent footballer. To lose him to coaching because a bunch of neds didn't like being told they were unfit (and with the backing of a senior SFA blazer) is a shame imo

Scot Gemmill gets the 21s gig.

Sbragia to look after 16s to 19s.

So his failure is rewarded by being given the job of looking after the age group where the vast majority of Scottish (British?) players lose their way.

Well played.

Dusk_Till_Dawn

So his failure is rewarded by being given the job of looking after the age group where the vast majority of Scottish (British?) players lose their way.

Well played.

The SFA is basically Jurassic Park. Motto - 'git fired intae thum'.

maroonnicky63

I don't agree with the usual negativity on here with regard to the under 21's. I think we do have the players it is the way we manage / coach the team that is the problem.

When you consider that Strachan has taken under 21 players away to play in meaningless friendlies when Scotland under 21's have been playing in qualification games , it's madness to me, why pull players away from qualification games and play them in friendlies ??.

Another worrying thing for me is Strachan's comment that he will have a home team and an away team for the world cup qualifiers , that worries me if we go away and defend we will get murdered or lose 1 0 .

Dusk_Till_Dawn

Is that Jim Leighton next to him on the bench?

Yup. A collection of people who look as if they've no idea what's happening. Sbragia most of all.

Replaced by Gemmill

:facepalm:

He's done a good job with the 17s and, from the bits I've read, has some interesting ideas. I think it's a decent appointment.

Watched the Sweden v Holland game last night.

They said the Sweden team was made up of a lot of the U21 team that won their tournament.

In the end Holland should have won missing chances and having a good goal disallowed.

But the notable thing was how quickly Sweden moved the ball. Not the slow slow sideways, backwards we saw on Friday. They clearly played as a team too. Commentators said they tired and were a "poor team". But decent enough.

Nope. Jim Leighton

Was Scotland U21 goalkeeping coach last time I looked.

Part of team supporting Jack Hamilton's progression.

Archived