Waiting until after the transfer window

Big Bruno

I may be being daft but can someone explain to me the benefits of waiting until after the transfer window closes to sign someone? Surely if they are out of contract just now we should get them in asap. I can't imagine either many contracts expire at the end of August.

Probably the time it takes to arrange these things is one factor.

But mainly perhaps that players may have been waiting for something during window and then look at other options.

There may be advantages to us in getting better players that way eg Djoum.

Occasionally there are players who negotiate being released by their club before the window ends so that they are free to move after the window. Taking time to assess free agent options can prevent poor choices being made in order to conclude deals before a deadline.

I may be being daft but can someone explain to me the benefits of waiting until after the transfer window closes to sign someone? Surely if they are out of contract just now we should get them in asap. I can't imagine either many contracts expire at the end of August.

I think there's also a feeling that the players lower their wage demands after the window shuts as ultimately they want to find a club.

letsalldothebeattie

Its worked fairly well for us under Neilson finding Pallardo, Djoum & Cowie have all signed after the close of the transfer window.

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Clubs will look to offload someone out of the plans, releasing, rather than continue to pay, whilst players, will want to get back playing and rather than sit out a contract will free themselves to get the best deal they can. Before the window shuts both parties are reluctant to sacrifice the current arrangement, whilst the chance to trade on the current situation exists.

Poker.

Why buy a 70 inch ultra HD telly on Christmas Day when you know On Boxing Day its going to be on sale for considerably less money. The transfer window is a gimic for sky sports and Jim White to jizz their pants over meaningless deals. Celebrating the ridiculous transfer fees the EPL generate as if it's some sort of badge of honour.

It won't be a surprise to see someone released with a pay off signing shortly afterwards

With the new loan regulations clubs need to trim their squads more than ever and players also know there is no chance of a move until January 2017

We might well be interested in a player who is in that very position

The Scottish window closes at midnight and who knows if a player does not get a move to another English club by 11pm he may well suddenly be available for a loan deal

I think hearts wait until the window shuts because there is maybe players whose first choice of clubs are gone so they lower their expectations djoum and pallardo are good examples.

Francis Albert

I doubt Hearts will lack competition in going for good players who are free agents after the end of the transfer window. It seems a bit more of a lottery than dealing during the transfer window ... but maybe we will be lottery winners.

I doubt Hearts will lack competition in going for good players who are free agents after the end of the transfer window. It seems a bit more of a lottery than dealing during the transfer window ... but maybe we will be lottery winners.

We've been pretty lucky with this lottery as you call it.....

Don't you think ?

The Real Maroonblood

Why buy a 70 inch ultra HD telly on Christmas Day when you know On Boxing Day its going to be on sale for considerably less money. The transfer window is a gimic for sky sports and Jim White to jizz their pants over meaningless deals. Celebrating the ridiculous transfer fees the EPL generate as if it's some sort of badge of honour.

Good points.

It won't be a surprise to see someone released with a pay off signing shortly afterwards

With the new loan regulations clubs need to trim their squads more than ever and players also know there is no chance of a move until January 2017

We might well be interested in a player who is in that very position

The Scottish window closes at midnight and who knows if a player does not get a move to another English club by 11pm he may well suddenly be available for a loan deal

Do you have Jack Wilshere in mind?

Francis Albert

We've been pretty lucky with this lottery as you call it.....

Don't you think ?

I didn't say we hadn't been. But remind me all of those who we have picked up outside the transfer window and I'll give a considered reply.

Fortunately we have picked up quite a few already so we are not over-reliant on selecting from those who no-one wanted badly during the window, or, given that we will not be alone in post-window bargain hunting, perhaps after the window as well.

I didn't say we hadn't been. But remind me all of those who we have picked up outside the transfer window and I'll give a considered reply.

Fortunately we have picked up quite a few already so we are not over-reliant on selecting from those who no-one wanted badly during the window, or, given that we will not be alone in post-window bargain hunting, perhaps after the window as well.

Eckersley

Pallardo

Djoum

Swanson

Kitchen

Francis Albert

Eckersley

Pallardo

Djoum

Swanson

Kitchen

Thanks. Wasn't  a fan of Eckersley or Swanson. Kitchen and Djoum good buys. Pallardo fine for the second tier. So as you say we have been pretty lucky in the lottery as I called it - or to be more neutral pretty successful in post-window bargaining.

Eckersley was fantastic in The Championship and is still better than any of our current left backs.

Dont ruin my evening! We let Eck go & got Osh in FFS! I still cringe.

Eckersley

Pallardo

Djoum

Swanson

Kitchen

You can add Cowie to that list.  Only Swanson has been a fail from these 6, so a pretty good success rate all in all.  Eckersley and Pallardo were both very good players for us in the Championship.

You can add Cowie to that list.  Only Swanson has been a fail from these 6, so a pretty good success rate all in all.  Eckersley and Pallardo were both very good players for us in the Championship.

I think Cowie was still within the Transfer Window.....but only just.

Dont ruin my evening! We let Eck go & got Osh in FFS! I still cringe.

We let a better than average Championship left back who barely kicked a ball the following season go. That was a good decision. Oshaniwa was a bad signing.

Andy Murdoch released from his contract, seems to have lost his way at Ibrox, is he one that we could reinvigorate like Soutar.

Eckersley was fantastic in The Championship and is still better than any of our current left backs.

1. He couldn't defend crosses.

2. He didn't look very good against the handful of semi decent wingers in the championship.

3. He offered next to no attacking threat.

4. He was injured.

Letting him go was a good decision.

We simply can't compete financially during the Window, so wait for players who haven't secured a contract or released by their clubs. 

The Window inflates fees to the point where you can't pay anything except over the odds for a player. Unfortunately it's all relative to TV Finance coming in. 

Much rather we concentrate on developing our own academy players, complimented by bargain buys like Sow, Souttar, Rossi etc. It means some players coming in can be hit or miss, but so far the policy appears to be working fairly well. 

A_A wehatethehibs

Players will lower their wage expectations if they have no contract.

It's this. Free agent players who haven't got a club during pre season due to high wage demands fall into our price bracket, there is a quote from Robbie to this effect from before the window. The key business is done, now we're just fishing for a bargain.

Lord Beni of Gorgie

1. He couldn't defend crosses.

2. He didn't look very good against the handful of semi decent wingers in the championship.

3. He offered next to no attacking threat.

4. He was injured.

Letting him go was a good decision.

5. Give Rherras a chance

We simply can't compete financially during the Window, so wait for players who haven't secured a contract or released by their clubs.

The Window inflates fees to the point where you can't pay anything except over the odds for a player. Unfortunately it's all relative to TV Finance coming in.

Much rather we concentrate on developing our own academy players, complimented by bargain buys like Sow, Souttar, Rossi etc. It means some players coming in can be hit or miss, but so far the policy appears to be working fairly well.

Pretty happy with squad just now

It's a team game too. So Swanson, who mostly played away from home limiting the number of people who can really comment on how he did, wasn't really integrated into how we played.

Cowie is happier having Watt and Sammon in front of him to link play with so it's not just he is fitter.

Prince Buaben

Be interesting to see who is out there just now. 

Reckon though they will cast the net quite far. Not just look around Scotland. 

Murdoch could be worth the punt..

Templeton :ninja:

We_are_the_Hearts

Be interesting to see who is out there just now. 

Reckon though they will cast the net quite far. Not just look around Scotland. 

Murdoch could be worth the punt..

Templeton :ninja:

You do know we are always looking to improve?

We_are_the_Hearts

Ivan Bobko

Mind the Zap Knight fan told us we were getting Alcacer lol.................did that roaster get banned?

Mind the Zap Knight fan told us we were getting Alcacer lol.................did that roaster get banned?

Think he has a new username nowadays. Did Alcacer not just sign for Barca? :rofl:

Francis Albert

"We simply can't compete financially during the window" ... but we do, as that's when most of our signings are made!

I wonder how many we will bring in? 2?

RN said a couple of weeks ago that he was looking to bring in a left midfielder and that, if Juanma left, he would look to bring in another striker so two is a good shout. It will, of course, depend on who is available but I doubt we'll bring anyone in just to be a squad-filler.

Archived