West Brom v Middlesbrough

132goals1958

132goals1958

We sometimes question the entertainment value in our own league, but watching this game it is mediocrity at best.

Boro a very good defensive unit, West Bromwich are toothless. Always going to be a dull game. (goals incoming, now I've said that)

:lol:

Jambo dans les Pyrenees

Made me wonder about Jordan McGhee.  He isn't seemingly listed in their first team squad, and has been playing for U23s which can't be nearly as good for his development as staying at Tynecastle and challenging?  

Cue a multi million pound move for him in the next couple of years now.

Watched the first half. One of the worst games I'd seen in a long time. They'll both be fighting relegation. Hopefully.

Maroon Sailor

No wonder there are empty seats - could be a theme this season as fans get bored watching turgid stuff like this.

Every point is a prisoner in that league

In my opinion pound for pound we get better entertainment in Scottish football (subjective obviously).

Yes some players lack quality but that leads to mistakes and poor challenges which adds interest and talking points.

The high level of organisation and fitness means the English teams end up stifling each other out.

Maroon Sailor

Best thing about that match was the sound of the final whistle

What happened to the beautiful game ?

Two teams who exist in the EPL simply to make money. No real ambition - see their LC / FAC line ups - only aim is to stay on the gravy train by avoiding relegation.

Shooter McGavin

No chance, it was an English Premier League match so it was an absolutely fantastic game of the highest quality and Scottish footballs just boring & s***.

The Internet

No idea why Boro are getting so much TV time.

Man City look good though, Sterling's just put them 1-0 up early on.

The EPL is a weird league.

I went to West Ham v leceister second game of the season last year, 2-1 to Leicester, and walked away having been quite bored throughout thinking that I had just seen two teams that would finish bottom 8.

West Ham went and beat Arsenal away the next week. And the rest is history with Leicester.

We_are_the_Hearts

For a while my opinion has been that the BPL is far higher quality but the SPL is more entertaining.

No chance, it was an English Premier League match so it was an absolutely fantastic game of the highest quality and Scottish footballs just boring & s***.

Beat me to it.

If this was a Scottish Premiership game it would've been blasted for its poor quality, but because it's the EPL, the reason it was 0-0 was because of the fantastic organisation and defensive qualities of both sides.

The way everyone blows smoke up that over-hyped leagues arse makes me cringe.

With West Ham pulling a goal back and now only 2-1 down the match has regained interest

Aguero should have been sent off for a premeditated elbow in the face and pretty sure we may hear more about it..........put it this way had it been in Scotland it would be back page news with demands for a life ban

Shooter McGavin

Beat me to it.

If this was a Scottish Premiership game it would've been blasted for its poor quality, but because it's the EPL, the reason it was 0-0 was because of the fantastic organisation and defensive qualities of both sides.

Feel the same mate.

I've often tuned into an EPL game on a Saturday and after about 10-15 minutes I'm bored to the point where I will just sit on my phone or get the laptop out, Honestly don't understand the hype around that league at all.

I know people who talk about English football as if it's the best thing that has ever happened then when you try and strike up a conversation about Scottish football they'll just say "nah boring" before moving on to talking about Man Citys latest ?50 mil signing.... Absolute bore.

When you've got people from Scotland claiming to be massive Man City, Arsenal, Man Utd fans I just cringe tbh. It infuriates me when they say "oh but scottish footballs s****" yet they have never followed it nor have they been to a game. I wonder if they actually feel they are a part of the club they support?

This is the reason why I have respect for every supporter in scotland regardless of what team they support (Maybe doesn't apply for OF mind you), People who could easily go for the ridicolous route of deciding to support a big EPL team.

Sorry mate just had to get that off my chest haha

Maroon Sailor

With West Ham pulling a goal back and now only 2-1 down the match has regained interest

Aguero should have been sent off for a premeditated elbow in the face and pretty sure we may hear more about it..........put it this way had it been in Scotland it would be back page news with demands for a life ban

Manc derby coming up, Jose already on the phone to the F.A

Feel the same mate.

I've often tuned into an EPL game on a Saturday and after about 10-15 minutes I'm bored to the point where I will just sit on my phone or get the laptop out, Honestly don't understand the hype around that league at all.

I know people who talk about English football as if it's the best thing that has ever happened then when you try and strike up a conversation about Scottish football they'll just say "nah boring" before moving on to talking about Man Citys latest ?50 mil signing.... Absolute bore.

When you've got people from Scotland claiming to be massive Man City, Arsenal, Man Utd fans I just cringe tbh. It infuriates me when they say "oh but scottish footballs s****" yet they have never followed it nor have they been to a game. I wonder if they actually feel they are a part of the club they support?

This is the reason why I have respect for every supporter in scotland regardless of what team they support (Maybe doesn't apply for OF mind you), People who could easily go for the ridicolous route of deciding to support a big EPL team.

Sorry mate just had to get that off my chest haha

Don't be sorry, everything you have said is 100% spot on. ;)

Made me wonder about Jordan McGhee. He isn't seemingly listed in their first team squad, and has been playing for U23s which can't be nearly as good for his development as staying at Tynecastle and challenging?

He'll be at Killie or St Johnstone by 2018, horrific advice from his agent from an early age.

MacDonald Jardine

Not a sterling fan but thats a cool finish. He's looked decent today.

That was a terrific finish in an entertaining game.

On the wider point, the English League is clearly a better technical standard.

That doesn't necessarily make it better to watch.

We should be talking our game up more.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Beat me to it.

Maybe it's early-season caution but there seems to have been a huge number of EPL games sitting 0-0 at half time in the first few matches, and even to a degree in the Championship.

Entertainment is getting sucked out of English football because very few teams play without fear.

crichiejambos

If you watch MOTD and they list the games the one that's on last or second last highlights last a couple of minutes, out of 90 minutes plus added time that's it ,

2 minuets highlights kinda tells its own story the EPL is all about money,end off

I was listening to the west brom game on talksport. After the game they lambasted both teams for creating such a boring match. They went on to discuss that just because players are paid ?30k per week doesn't mean they get to play with freedom and both these teams are only hoping to survive the drop for another years payday.

The spfl Should be re brandishing the league 'real football for real fans' and tap into the apathy that's starting to show towards the EPL.

I was listening to the west brom game on talksport. After the game they lambasted both teams for creating such a boring match. They went on to discuss that just because players are paid ?30k per week doesn't mean they get to play with freedom and both these teams are only hoping to survive the drop for another years payday.

The spfl Should be re brandishing the league 'real football for real fans' and tap into the apathy that's starting to show towards the EPL.

Whilst i'm in agreement with the general tone of this thread, and i'm as anti-EPL as anyone else, lets not kid ourselves either - our own league is equally as capable of dishing up games just as woeful as anything West Brom and Boro can serve up....... only difference is theres a fraction of the folk watching to even notice.

Ron Burgundy

It doesn't help our case when our national manager talks our game down and our two biggest clubs constantly whinge about leaving and nothing ever is said to shut them up.

Hannibal Lecter

Watched the first half but no way was I wasting another 45 minutes with the second half of this yesterday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Treasurer

I feared for West Ham after 15 minutes but they really made a game of it in the second half and if a couple of their injured players had been available might have taken something from the game.

That is now two away games where the opposition striker (Aguero this week, Costa v chelski) that should have seen red but on both occasions the ref bottled it.

I expect this latest assualt by Aguero  will be looked at but unfortunately the only team that will benefit will be the mancs with him banned for their derby match

Whilst i'm in agreement with the general tone of this thread, and i'm as anti-EPL as anyone else, lets not kid ourselves either - our own league is equally as capable of dishing up games just as woeful as anything West Brom and Boro can serve up....... only difference is theres a fraction of the folk watching to even notice.

Completely. Our top league can throw up some shockers. I just think we still have a connection with our teams, how can a Swansea fan feel a connection with a ?20m signing.

We should almost advertise our game in a way that relates to fans wanting a real connection to the game. Some fans will earn on par with some of the players from the lower spl teams, no one in Swansea will earn remotely close to a Swansea player.

We need to create the buzz about the away day, romance of the cups. You don't always need the quality of you have the passion and entertainment. Instead we create a product that's only aim is to replicate a English version of a game that is slowly boring the fans to death.

Stephane Grappelli

The irony is that both clubs will get millions from Sky for dishing up that utter horseshit.

This.

Got the West Brom keeper and a defender in my fantasy team though so I'll take the two clean sheets and move on.

Maroon Sailor

This.Got the West Brom keeper and a defender in my fantasy team though so I'll take the two clean sheets and move on.

I've got McCauley - always worth a few points for clean sheets and the odd goal

Stephane Grappelli

I've got McCauley - always worth a few points for clean sheets and the odd goal

Aye, I left him and Foster on my bench in Week 1. Still annoyed about it!

Made me wonder about Jordan McGhee.  He isn't seemingly listed in their first team squad, and has been playing for U23s which can't be nearly as good for his development as staying at Tynecastle and challenging?  

According to McGhee himself, he's learning more from being down there passing folk like Negredo in the corridor than he would up here.

It's a good move for both him and the club. We get rid of a player who wasn't that interested in being here anymore and he gets the chance he was looking for. Good move all round.

Archived