Can you imagine supporting any other club?

Craigieboy

MacDonald Jardine

I backed dundee united in the 80s in Europe without any probs.......

Yes but you also seem to back Hibs now.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brick Tamland

Only Hearts for me, if there was no HMFC I wouldn't bother with the game at all now.

SFA and their refereeing and the pandering to Celtic and Sevco have destroyed the feelings I had for the game.

Love Hearts hate the SFA.

If hearts never existed, I think most people on here would support another edinburgh club, not hibs though. I suppose it would depend on who my old and supported and who he took me to see.

Doctor FinnBarr

If hearts never existed, I think most people on here would support another edinburgh club, not hibs though. I suppose it would depend on who my old and supported and who he took me to see.

Mine took me to watch Motherwell, I escaped.

Only Hearts for me, if there was no HMFC I wouldn't bother with the game at all now.

SFA and their refereeing and the pandering to Celtic and Sevco have destroyed the feelings I had for the game.

Yep. If Hearts had gone under I'd have been done with football. Ditto if the plan to insert Sevco into the Premiership or Championship had come off. I might have watched the odd game on occasion, but no more.

I'm a Leith boy, but still couldn't bring myself to support the local vermin.

My Dads a Leither and has followed Hearts since he was a lad, he's 70 on his next birthday. He's seen the best and worst Hearts teams and still goes back for more.

SwindonJambo

I was a late convert, aged 18. No family Hearts connections at all. Originally from Hamilton, I moved South to Swindon with my family at 14 before Returning North 4 years later to Edinburgh as a student in 1985. I went along to a game as a Fresher's week event. If Hibs had been at home that weekend, I might have gone to that. Thank **** they weren't !!! I was in a mixed group of fans of all allegiances so effectively Football tourists.

31 years on I still remember that day vividly and the huge impression it made on me. Walking down the hill from Tollcross down into Dalry & Gorgie and seeing the crowds gathering and the old Tynie appearing in front of me was memorable. Entering the stadium for the 1st time, I just loved the feel of the place and bought a scarf from the wee wooden hut in the School End, before settling for the benches. It was a grim 1-1 draw with Dundee after going 0-1 down. I was so impressed by the passion and humour of the fans. By the 2nd half I was joining them in berating match officials and celebrated the equaliser. I became a big fan very quickly, I'm 50 next April and remain a Jambo to the core. I only get to a handful of games a season but I signed up to FoH immediately so support the club financially from afar.

So glad I discovered this club and proud to be one of you for 31 years. The highs and lows of following Hearts are the perfect training for life in general Imho. Just imagine following one of the Toxic Twins with their spoiled brat sense of entitlement and vile bigotry - no thanks. I will confess that growing up in Hamilton I did the wee team big team thing with the Accies as my local team and OldCo as my big team but I wasn't fully aware of their disgusting issues - thry were just a big team. Hate them now along with the other arse cheek. Still have a wee soft spot for the Accies but Jambo till I die.

OFGTF & FTH

Doctor FinnBarr

I was a late convert, aged 18. No family Hearts connections at all. Originally from Hamilton, I moved South to Swindon with my family at 14 before Returning North 4 years later to Edinburgh as a student in 1985. I went along to a game as a Fresher's week event. If Hibs had been at home that weekend, I might have gone to that. Thank **** they weren't !!! I was in a mixed group of fans of all allegiances so effectively Football tourists.

31 years on I still remember that day vividly and the huge impression it made on me. Walking down the hill from Tollcross down into Dalry & Gorgie and seeing the crowds gathering and the old Tynie appearing in front of me was memorable. Entering the stadium for the 1st time, I just loved the feel of the place and bought a scarf from the wee wooden hut in the School End, before settling for the benches. It was a grim 1-1 draw with Dundee after going 0-1 down. I was so impressed by the passion and humour of the fans. By the 2nd half I was joining them in berating match officials and celebrated the equaliser. I became a big fan very quickly, I'm 50 next April and remain a Jambo to the core. I only get to a handful of games a season but I signed up to FoH immediately so support the club financially from afar.

So glad I discovered this club and proud to be one of you for 31 years. The highs and lows of following Hearts are the perfect training for life in general Imho. Just imagine following one of the Toxic Twins with their spoiled brat sense of entitlement and vile bigotry - no thanks. I will confess that growing up in Hamilton I did the wee team big team thing with the Accies as my local team and OldCo as my big team but I wasn't fully aware of their disgusting issues - thry were just a big team. Hate them now along with the other arse cheek. Still have a wee soft spot for the Accies but Jambo till I die.

OFGTF & FTH

Brilliant Mr Swindon

scott herbertson

OFGTF & FTH

Excellent response = a virtual pint from me sir

SwindonJambo

Excellent response = a virtual pint from me sir

Thank you good sir. After downing some of it, I can tell you I travelled up for a couple of games in the early 90s with London Hearts and on the amazingly cheap group travel tickets you guys managed to sniff out in those days. I met Drew Goldie, Mark Hennessy and a good few others. Stuart Brodie was on one of the trips and after that I used to bump into him at Scotland & Hearts Away games all over the place as the 90s wore on. He went by the handle of Dodac in those days!

People say that that Final is over emphasised and that continually bringing it up is poor form. I have to disagree.

None of us or our Children will likely ever be involved in a match of such significance. And that statement is true regardless of the scoreline.

With the result now done and dusted it literally has to go down as the greatest moment of all of our time supporting football, and as a result, the worst moment a Hibs fan could experience.

It was a monumental achievement then and will last forever.

We will win more cups in the future, but until the day we win the league it will never be bettered.

Big Slim Stylee

Lower league ... RAITH

I look out for teams a family member played for - Stirling, Raith.  Watched a large London team for a long time when I was down there and lived round the corner.  But I'm a Hearts fan really, and that's it.

Bishops Stortford. They play in the English 6th tier.

My Dad played for them, 3rd in the all time list of appearances for them.

Mind you long way to go on a Saturday mind......

passed my driving test there in 1972

My dad was a hobo. We then immigrated to south Africa. Divorced when I was 3 back in scotland by 4. Step dad by the time I was 5. He was a Jambo.he was a good man. And that was it for me. I remember being in big trouble for the 86 final vs Aberdeen after our dens park fail. Grounded for something and wasn't allowed out my room. My step dad came in 5 mins before kick off. (My mum was at the bingo) This may be the only time you see Hearts win the Scottish cup son so come and watch. He was the 1st person I phoned from celtic park in 98. I was in tears. We did it i told him. Great moment. Never forget it

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Buffalo Bill

One of the things that I love about Hearts is that I've always felt we could go on to that 'next level', if only we could get things right on and off the pitch. Going back over the last 30 years, there were various times in the previous three regimes that we were close, but Mercer never pounced on the chance in that 1986-90 period, neither did Robinson in 1998, and neither did Vlad in 2006. In fact Vlad had it, but threw it all away.

Now Ann has it within her grasp, and this time, I truly believe we'll get to that next level, as long as the fans keep their shit together and try to see the long game. 

We are steadily building up the playing side. We're planning on expanding the stadium. We'll soon be increasing our revenue streams and the players will enjoy top class facilities both at Tynecastle and Riccarton. Most importantly, the fan base is there. There are loads of Hearts fans out there.

And I honestly think that in a couple of years, we're going to be flying.

Now, add that to our amazing love for the club. Heart of Midlothian is steeped in history and heritage. We have quite literally the greatest name in world football. We have the best club crest in world football. Our club colours ooze class and sophistication. Our stadium, when fully functioning - is a bear pit, snuggled deep within the heart of our community, surrounded by pubs, old buildings and transport links; not some soulless, windswept ground stuck out on the edge of some dreary retail park. The stands at Tynecastle Park meanwhile, they tower over the pitch. And the new stand could push our average attendance up towards 20,000.

Everything about Hearts is about love and passion, but now we can add 'potential' to that mix; a potential that is finally about to be realised. We are only at the beginning of this next chapter.

Now, imagine supporting St Mirren?

We_are_the_Hearts

Another here who would support Partick if anything ever happened to the famous. Hope we pump them today tho

In answer to the original question, the answer is no. Like Craigieboy, I have huge admiration for Partick and their fans because they choose football over what passes for glory in Scottish football.

Buffalo Bill's post sums it up for me. The club, for me, has never been in as safe a position as it is now, and it does feel as though we could be on the verge of something special.

Pretty harsh on County - impressive that they are where they are based in a town of about 5k people and with more fans than the team that nurses the conceit that it is the "big" Highland Club. One of my happiest times at Hampden was to see them pop two past the hooped demons in a cup semi.

St Johnstone? Would be handiest for me now and they're, well, St Johnstone, aren't they?

Name-wise the only one that comes close is Queen of the South. Is there a more romantic fixture anywhere than Heart of Midlothian v Queen of the South?

But it's Hearts, always Hearts. If it had all gone ***s up a couple of years ago I'd have gone along to Saughton to see Hearts FC.

Buffalo Bill's post for me too.

I think there's a general awareness that we could and should progress to the 'next level'. There's expectation to do so but that expectation also has it's negative aspect because the expectation often manifests itself as impatience. Intolerance of setbacks. The good side is the hope and promise of 'next level' Nirvana.

The support has been steadily growing and is still growing. I think the long term key is to make sure the support keeps growing further. The hard bit is to sustain it.

People say that that Final is over emphasised and that continually bringing it up is poor form. I have to disagree.

None of us or our Children will likely ever be involved in a match of such significance. And that statement is true regardless of the scoreline.

With the result now done and dusted it literally has to go down as the greatest moment of all of our time supporting football, and as a result, the worst moment a Hibs fan could experience.

It was a monumental achievement then and will last forever.

We will win more cups in the future, but until the day we win the league it will never be bettered.

Have to agree with that. I still feel my first cup in 1998 was my favourite. But as you say nothing will better humping our arch rivals until the day we win the league.

I'd probably be a rangers fan if i wasn't Hearts, I honestly don't know how i ended up supporting Hearts, most of my family are Rangers and I'm the only Hearts fan, have been for as long as I can remember, thankfully for me my dad was good enough to take me along to games as a kid despite not being a fan himself.

I've gone to watch many clubs play. Clyde, rangers, celtic, Queens Park, Falkirk etc etc.

The most fun I've had outside of hearts would probably be the clyde games but that was probably down to the fact they were playing rangers and it was borderline scary.

Nothing compares to Hearts and Tynecastle though. Hearts are a club that is truly special, the arguement over who has the best fans in Scotland is frankly put to rest. We proudly give the club everything we can and saved it from oblivion. Creating a model that is not only sustainable but allows us to thrive which in Scottish football is close to a miracle.

It's got it's arseholes like any support but I look at Rangers bumping their gums about sell outs and season ticket sales and I asked them where they were a few years ago when the club was liquidated, The people just stood back and watched it happen.

It has an effect on you that can't be described but it can be seen in the players. Not many clubs in the world have an effect on players like Hearts does. They fall in love with it. Rudi is the best example that everyone old and young can relate to. His love for this club is right to his core and soul, yet he never grew up a hearts fan. He came in with probably very little knowledge of who we are. But like so many others he fell in love with the club and regardless of where he went to he always maintained his love for us.

It's in my blood and bones to love this club and I absolutely live and breathe it.

B_IRM1-XIAAbxcL.jpg

Ball boy at Meadowbank Thistle and during the darkest days of Romanov went to watch Cowdenbeath but no emotional connection, just didn't bother me enough if they won or lost so no, couldn't "support" another team as that requires the emotional investment of years of ups and downs to mean anything.

Thank you good sir. After downing some of it, I can tell you I travelled up for a couple of games in the early 90s with London Hearts and on the amazingly cheap group travel tickets you guys managed to sniff out in those days. I met Drew Goldie, Mark Hennessy and a good few others. Stuart Brodie was on one of the trips and after that I used to bump into him at Scotland & Hearts Away games all over the place as the 90s wore on. He went by the handle of Dodac in those days!

Ah Stuart " the black spot "

This for me.

Governor Tarkin

I'd probably be a rangers fan if i wasn't Hearts, I honestly don't know how i ended up supporting Hearts, most of my family are Rangers and I'm the only Hearts fan, have been for as long as I can remember, thankfully for me my dad was good enough to take me along to games as a kid despite not being a fan himself.

I've got a couple of mates who are lifelong huns but take their laddies to Tynecastle every other week.

Good guys.

A few years ago I thought that Peterborough must have been quite a fun team to support. They went from League 2 to League 1 to the Championship in consecutive seasons - even if you only went to home games you would have seen them play around 70 different teams in 3 years. Compare that to playing the same dross up to 6 times a season up here.

It's also located fairly centrally in England so if you went to away games there would be dozens that were less than a couple of hours away.

My dad was a hobo. We then immigrated to south Africa. Divorced when I was 3 back in scotland by 4. Step dad by the time I was 5. He was a Jambo.he was a good man. And that was it for me. I remember being in big trouble for the 86 final vs Aberdeen after our dens park fail. Grounded for something and wasn't allowed out my room. My step dad came in 5 mins before kick off. (My mum was at the bingo) This may be the only time you see Hearts win the Scottish cup son so come and watch. He was the 1st person I phoned from celtic park in 98. I was in tears. We did it i told him. Great moment. Never forget it

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Very similar to me bud - the old man was an arse, step dad's a jambo - some things are just meant to be ! 

thought about that a couple of years back with the possibility of us going tits up, decided I would rather watch youth football along the park than support any other football team.

SwindonJambo

One of the things that I love about Hearts is that I've always felt we could go on to that 'next level', if only we could get things right on and off the pitch. Going back over the last 30 years, there were various times in the previous three regimes that we were close, but Mercer never pounced on the chance in that 1986-90 period, neither did Robinson in 1998, and neither did Vlad in 2006. In fact Vlad had it, but threw it all away.

Now Ann has it within her grasp, and this time, I truly believe we'll get to that next level, as long as the fans keep their shit together and try to see the long game. 

We are steadily building up the playing side. We're planning on expanding the stadium. We'll soon be increasing our revenue streams and the players will enjoy top class facilities both at Tynecastle and Riccarton. Most importantly, the fan base is there. There are loads of Hearts fans out there.

And I honestly think that in a couple of years, we're going to be flying.

Now, add that to our amazing love for the club. Heart of Midlothian is steeped in history and heritage. We have quite literally the greatest name in world football. We have the best club crest in world football. Our club colours ooze class and sophistication. Our stadium, when fully functioning - is a bear pit, snuggled deep within the heart of our community, surrounded by pubs, old buildings and transport links; not some soulless, windswept ground stuck out on the edge of some dreary retail park. The stands at Tynecastle Park meanwhile, they tower over the pitch. And the new stand could push our average attendance up towards 20,000.

Everything about Hearts is about love and passion, but now we can add 'potential' to that mix; a potential that is finally about to be realised. We are only at the beginning of this next chapter.

Now, imagine supporting St Mirren?

Excellent post BB. In Mercer's peak years we had alternate good and bad seasons right through from about 1983-92 until he lost interest thereafter and sold up in '94. Robinson never really had the fans on board, although he did well to carry through Mercer's plans to redevelop Tynie and put up the 3 new stands in the 1990s. His appalling mismanagement of the SMG cash injection led us to the shit that brought in Romanov and near meltdown.

This time, I have a strong feeling that things may just be different. A strong, steady and level headed CEO, and Steady build up of infrastructure, both on and off the field. We have a clearer and steadier sense of direction than I can ever remember. The Tynecastle matchday experience is first class and this is borne out by its huge popularity with visitng supports. I love my handful of visits per season and try to make a day of it when they come. Your point about us being nestled deep in the heart of our community adds a lot to the club's appeal. Edinburgh has a growing population and economy and we should be well placed to attract support from new arrivals. As the Toxic Twins' issues become even more alien and out of touch with modern society, hopefully far fewer local fans will have their heads turned and head West. Indeed we might even attract more fans in the opposite direction (We already have a good few, myself included).

I honestly believe that once our new stand is built and kitted out, we'll put (even more) clear blue water between ourselves and the neighbours.

OFGTF & FTH

Was that 1-1 draw not the start of our 31 game unbeaten run that season. Skippy scored the equaliser on what I think may have been his debut.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

SwindonJambo

Was that 1-1 draw not the start of our 31 game unbeaten run that season. Skippy scored the equaliser on what I think may have been his debut.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

It was definitely the 1st game of the 31 game unbeaten run. The equaliser was scored by Ian Jardine but I don't recall his nickname being Skippy and I don't think it was his debut! Happy to be corrected on both. Only 8,500 at the game with 5/600 down from Dundee.

I'd never support another big club, Whitehill Welfare is my other love in football, my son was born in Elgin and he's keen on them so I keep an open for them but thats it, can't even begin to contemplate supporting another big/biggish Scottish club.

I still remember the Dundee game. We had already lost to St.Mirren, Aberdeen, Rangers, Motherwell and Clydebank. Nobody could possibly have imagined what a tame home draw with Dundee was starting.

Celtic and Rangers - no mark, generic, 'big club', sectarian filled bile with only glory hunting, small man syndromed arseholes as their supporters. 0/10.

Aberdeen - purple patch 80's, chino wearing, Man U supporting ****'s. 1/10 for sheer glory hunting ****ery.

Dundee - living in the past, playing second fiddle to their bigger neighbours. Dens Pk is a ****ing crumbling, derelict shithole and I'm amazed it even gets a safety certificate. Ugly ****'s anaw. 2/10.

Motherwell - They'd get a bye from criticism other than the fact that they're a complete non entity. Decent wee place to go for a game but imagine rocking up each week with 1.5k fellow ST holders in place. Depressing in every way. 2/10.

Kilmarnock - They have more hotel guests than fans. Priding themselves on pies and corporate facilities. The sort of stadium that gives people deep vein thrombosis. Shite. 3/10.

Inverness - fair play but they have around 863 fans. Should never be in the top flight. Embarrassing. 4/10.

St Johnstone - decent wee club but they beat Dundee Utd in a cup final so they can **** off. 6/10.

Partick Th - great wee club. Nothing but admiration for their supporters who have a choice. Pretty much free from critique. 9/10.

Ross Co - Another embarrassment. About 456 ST holders. Beat Hibs in a cup final but let's be honest, it's no hard. Good away trip but still - 4/10.

Hamilton - makes me wonder why I even bother with Scottish football. Pigeon shite running down the back of your neck. The least atmospheric ground in Scotland. Pish. Points for relegating Hibernian though. 5/10.

Heart of Midlothian - Completely unique in Scottish football. The grandest name in world football. The royal, regal colour of maroon sets them apart and distinguishes them from every top flight club. The club's home, hemmed in and uniquely placed in working class Gorgie. The history that is glorified with names like Walker, Bauld, McKay, Robertson, Skacel, to name only a few. The supporters, loyal in every way, leaving behind in their recent history the remarkable story of saving their club on an individual and collective basis. And not forgetting the undeniable dominance in local derbies over their entire history, culminating in destroying the risible shite in a never to be repeated Scottish cup final.

Call me bias ;).

But, I can't imagine supporting any other club.

<3

I could have supported any one of those clubs depending on who my dad supported and where I was brought up.

Thankfully my dad supports Hearts and I was brought up in the west side of Edinburgh. Lucked out big time.

Different Class

Partick, Ross County 8/10

Dundee, Kilmarnock 6/10

Inverness, Motherwell 5/10

St Johnstone 4/10

Hamilton 3/10

Aberdeen 2/10

Celtic 0/10

Rangers N/A

Big Slim Stylee

OFGTF & FTH

Enjoyed that.

Dagger Is Back

OFGTF & FTH

I know you well matey and you've damn well nailed it. I think you've shown me how much some people can take things for granted.

When you come up you really soak up the atmosphere. It's like you've got to get your fix until next time and you don't know exactly when that will be.

Your story just shows how people get bitten by all that is Hearts. It also shows how important it is for us to get our marketing right. New stand should give us opportunities to get free tickets to schools, target the visitor market and Edinburghs student base as well as communities like the Polish one.

SwindonJambo

I know you well matey and you've damn well nailed it. I think you've shown me how much some people can take things for granted.

When you come up you really soak up the atmosphere. It's like you've got to get your fix until next time and you don't know exactly when that will be.

Your story just shows how people get bitten by all that is Hearts. It also shows how important it is for us to get our marketing right. New stand should give us opportunities to get free tickets to schools, target the visitor market and Edinburghs student base as well as communities like the Polish one.

My story is not unique either. Most non elite clubs attract fans with no obvious connection but I genuinely believe we do more than most just on the sheer charm and atmosphere around the club. Look, for example at our 2 regular American posters, one of whom now lives locally and has a Season Ticket. There are definitely Jambos dotted around the West and not all with Edinburgh origins. You've got it spot on about 'getting my fix'. I'm looking at the fixture list and will probably manage an early Autumn trip up for my next 'fix'. The extra capacity the new stand will hopefully give us an opportunity to get some school kids on board. Can't wait to see it taging shape, planning permission permitting!

Archived