High definition rip-off

Professor.Arturo

Professor.Arturo

I meant to mention this a couple of weeks back on my Blu-ray thread.

I got the HD TV and Blu-ray player, but you also need a special HDMI cable to connect them, they come in 3 speeds.....

For a PS3 the cable costs ?44.99

For a Sky box it costs ?59.95

For the Blu-ray player (the highest speed cable) it cost me ?79.95!!!!

?79.95 for a fu***** 1 metre cable!! thats taking the p!ss surely :sad:

(This was in Comet)

They are trying to rip you off. All digital signals are based on zeros and noughts, these can't be improved so basically a ?10 cable is just as good as a ?70 cable. Find the cheapest cables you can and i guarantee you that they will do exactly the same job.

Cable quality only ever matter when it's analogue. Those Zero and noughts I mentioned can't be improved as they are either there or they are not. If the shop assistant/s tell you any differently they are lying.

You can get HDMI cables for a fiver. Like BlackJAC says, they are digital so they all transmit the same quality signal.

Never heard of different speeds either, whats that all about?

The gadget show couple of weeks ago done a test with ?20 cable and ?100 cable, guess what you couldn't tell which was which.

Believe me when I say that YOU personally wouldn't notice any difference whatsoever. If the cable has got decent quality connectors, then there really is no difference. Digital signals are all the same and can't be improved upon. Geeks will argue that there is a difference, but if there is a difference we're talking about .0000001 of a difference.

Just had a look round and found the AV review site, according to them there is a big difference in picture, contrast & sound quality between the various hdmi cables.

http://www.avreview.co.uk/news/article/mps/UAN/1170/v/3/sp/

These are magazines that are run by the type of headcase that claims your records sound better if you put a white sticker on the turntable.

As someone said earlier if you are using analogue gear buy the best cables (interconnects) you can, digital is all the same pretty much. The only people that can see/hear the difference are people who want to pretend they can see/hear better than the rest of us.

They can't.

Guest S.U.S.S.
These are magazines that are run by the type of headcase that claims your records sound better if you put a white sticker on the turntable.

As someone said earlier if you are using analogue gear buy the best cables (interconnects) you can, digital is all the same pretty much. The only people that can see/hear the difference are people who want to pretend they can see/hear better than the rest of us.

They can't.

There are big differences in throughput and signal degradation, but as above there is no way for your average person to really tell. Unless your samples are uber quality id say go with cheaper stuff.

There are big differences in throughput and signal degradation, but as above there is no way for your average person to really tell. Unless your samples are uber quality id say go with cheaper stuff.

I would maybe agree with that over longer distances. However over normal circumstances it would not make a blind bit of difference. It is a digital signal that either gets there or it doesn't meaning you get a picture or you don't. You get zero benefit regardless of the source quality.

Sorry Ratcatcher but you have been well and truly ripped off mate. :sad:

It's like putting sandbags under your speakers some claim it greatly improves sound quality, i say it makes a bloody mess.

Every individual sees, hears and perceives things differently, so of course some people will think a ?300 cable is going to enhance their viewing when in fact a lot of this better quality guff is simply placing their claim on the placebo effect. If I paid ?300 for a cable I'd want it to be better than something that cost ?20, so I'd make sure I'd convince myself i was seeing better quality pictures than I would have seen had I paid ?20.

I'm fairly savvy with electrics and I've yet to see anything that improves a picture to the extent of ?280. The fact is, most of those people that claim to notice a huge quality difference are talking through their backside.

I'd like to see how many of those people could walk into a room and tell if I had a ?300 cable or a ?20 cable.

Guest S.U.S.S.
It's like putting sandbags under your speakers some claim it greatly improves sound quality, i say it makes a bloody mess.

Every individual sees, hears and perceives things differently, so of course some people will think a ?300 cable is going to enhance their viewing when in fact a lot of this better quality guff is simply placing their claim on the placebo effect. If I paid ?300 for a cable I'd want it to be better than something that cost ?20, so I'd make sure I'd convince myself i was seeing better quality pictures than I would have seen had I paid ?20.

I'm fairly savvy with electrics and I've yet to see anything that improves a picture to the extent of ?280. The fact is, most of those people that claim to notice a huge quality difference are talking through their backside.

I'd like to see how many of those people could walk into a room and tell if I had a ?300 cable or a ?20 cable.

The people that say they can see/hear the difference are probably trying to convince themself rather than anyone else.

Professor.Arturo
I would maybe agree with that over longer distances. However over normal circumstances it would not make a blind bit of difference. It is a digital signal that either gets there or it doesn't meaning you get a picture or you don't. You get zero benefit regardless of the source quality.

Sorry Ratcatcher but you have been well and truly ripped off mate. :sad:

Oh well :sad:

I'll know better next time. I never knew much about HDMI at the time, so took the salesman at his word.

so took the salesman at his word.

I try not to do that, I had one clown trying to flog me headphones on the grounds that they were for digital sound and I needed them to hear it. He wasn't impressed when I gently pointed out that as I'm human I can't hear digital sound.

I'll know better next time. I never knew much about HDMI at the time, so took the salesman at his word.

I would take them back and tell them the salesman lied to you. Really annoys me that these parasites get away with this crap.

The Old Tolbooth
I would take them back and tell them the salesman lied to you. Really annoys me that these parasites get away with this crap.

Beat me to it Dazo, I'd do exactly the same, and if he argues with you, then shove it down the tossers throat!

I hate seeing people get ripped off :mad:

All digital signals are based on zeros and noughts, these can't be improved so basically a ?10 cable is just as good as a ?70 cable.

Not strictly true. The signal that goes down a cable isn't truly digital, it's an analog representation that's bloody close.

Therefore the quality of the cable does effect the quality of the signal, as it can conduct better, and resist interference.

The vast majority of cables are good enough for the average system tho, so there's no real need to spend a lot of money. As long as it has gold plugs.

Not strictly true. The signal that goes down a cable isn't truly digital, it's an analog representation that's bloody close.

Therefore the quality of the cable does effect the quality of the signal, as it can conduct better, and resist interference.

The vast majority of cables are good enough for the average system tho, so there's no real need to spend a lot of money. As long as it has gold plugs.

You must work in comet.

Like i said, though, IF there is a difference, it's so subtle it's not worth paying an extra ?200-odd for. It's splitting hairs and very fine ones at that.

Unless people are going to be sitting examining every minute pixel etc, then it's not noticeable. Some people really do take the "I've got a better picture than you" mentality a little bit to the extreme.

kiltedjedi
They are trying to rip you off. All digital signals are based on zeros and noughts, these can't be improved so basically a ?10 cable is just as good as a ?70 cable. Find the cheapest cables you can and i guarantee you that they will do exactly the same job.

Cable quality only ever matter when it's analogue. Those Zero and noughts I mentioned can't be improved as they are either there or they are not. If the shop assistant/s tell you any differently they are lying.

Over a short distance then yes, not a lot of degradation will happen, but, it is not a bunch of 1's and 0's flowing down the cable, it is a voltage level at a certain frequency which can be attenuated if the cable is over 5 metres which is then translated by the reciever as a 1 or a 0. I don't know how much difference it would make to the signal output as I've not really looked that much into it, although I think anything around 5-10 meters would be fine on copper.

I would still take the cable back to the shop and get one of the cheaper ones since you've been sold a pup there bud.

coppercrutch
Beat me to it Dazo, I'd do exactly the same, and if he argues with you, then shove it down the tossers throat!

I hate seeing people get ripped off :mad:

Harsh but fair !!

Although perhaps the chump in the store is just passing on nonsense that he has had spouted to him ?

Although selling stuff like that he should really make an effort to find out.

You are right **** him. Down the throat !!

BTW - This Germany game is quality.

vegas-voss
I meant to mention this a couple of weeks back on my Blu-ray thread.

I got the HD TV and Blu-ray player, but you also need a special HDMI cable to connect them, they come in 3 speeds.....

For a PS3 the cable costs ?44.99

For a Sky box it costs ?59.95

For the Blu-ray player (the highest speed cable) it cost me ?79.95!!!!

?79.95 for a fu***** 1 metre cable!! thats taking the p!ss surely :sad:

(This was in Comet)

You can get a 1080p one for your PS3 for under ?15 and you can get one for your SkyHd for as little as fiver and the PS3 one is the same as a Blu Ray one.

vegas-voss

Take them back tell them you were sold them under false pretences.

Archived