Toughest Sport Rio 2016

Neilson's Shank

Neilson's Shank

Been glued all the way through and really enjoyed it, I was debating with myself what is the toughest sport. For me it came down to Cycling or Rowing, my feeling on reflection is that Cycling is the toughest, these guys really are Iron Men. Your opinions fellow Kickbackers ? Sorry to drag you away from the purient interest that many of are displaying in Salad Fingers love life but would welcome your opinions.

indianajones

Been glued all the way through and really enjoyed it, I was debating with myself what is the toughest sport. For me it came down to Cycling or Rowing, my feeling on reflection is that Cycling is the toughest, these guys really are Iron Men. Your opinions fellow Kickbackers ? Sorry to drag you away from the purient interest that many of are displaying in Salad Fingers love life but would welcome your opinions.

The gymnasts. 

Unbelievable strength to do the stuff they do. Its verging on super human. 

Malinga the Swinga

10km open water swim.

**** that for a laugh.

Agree with you.mswin for 9.9k and then fight, kick and scratch for the last one, hoping some old fat joker on a boat doesn't give you a yellow card because they want to be seen on tv.

The track events without a doubt for me. The sheer level of dedication (doping or not!) is incredible. Athletics is the purest form of Olympic sport IMO.

Captain Price

Enjoying the Olympics more this year than I enjoyed the Euros.

Difficult question to answer however. All are tough in their own ways.

I would say cycling or tennis.

Cycling is pretty obvious, but the reason I add tennis to this is that I can't think there is any other sport in the Olympics that has so much time on court/track/field etc to win a Gold.

Not sure of Andys or JMDP total time on court to win gold and silver but must be approaching 10 hours each - JMDP probably more. Is there another individual sport that requires as much intense game time - I add intense as i know the golfers probably played 12 hours or more, but it's not as physically demanding as Tennis.

I could run 5000m slowly but if someone said "pole vault over that bar up there"I wouldn't have a clue

Depends how you split it. Physical toughness or technical toughness? For technical I'd be tempted to go with table tennis.

Watching Chris Hoy training a few years ago was eye opening. Watching him building his lactose intolorence, I've never seen anyone put themselves through that much abuse for a sport.

4x100m medley in the pool

pent/decathlon

10k open water

Cycling Omnium

Marathon

Those are very tough but I still find it incredible that swimmers can compete across different events at such a high level, Michael Phelps in Beijing swam in 24 races on his way to 8 golds which is mindblowing seeing as there can be very little recovery time in between the different events!

Thunderstruck

Frank Dick, the Scottish Athletics Coach paid our school a visit and took the 5th and 6th year for a training session which he described as the "type of thing that wee lassies do twice a day".

Those of us that bothered with sport - we were well catered for with good PE teachers - got to do football, rugby, basketball, athletics and less common activities such as canoeing, sailing and fencing. We thought that Frank Dick's session would be a bit of fun. How wrong we were - physically sick during the session and muscles we didn't know we had aching for days.

My abiding memory was him telling us that those of us (who might have the talent and wanted to be serious about athletics) would have to commit to a training regime that would make the session he had just taken look like a Sunday afternoon stroll.

This always comes to mind when these events are on - being able to run, jump, throw, cycle, row, paddle, swim for a few minutes or even hours is built on many years of commitment and very hard graft. I have nothing but admiration (and a bit of envy) for anyone who has put the effort in to compete at that level, no matter the sport.

Watching Chris Hoy training a few years ago was eye opening. Watching him building his lactose intolorence, I've never seen anyone put themselves through that much abuse for a sport.

Even now he still looks like a machine.

All roads lead to Gorgie

Not saying it's the toughest, and It's a weird fecking sport, but synchronised swimming must be hard as ****.

I don't know about that but when it is on I am hard as **** ha ha !

The 10k.

Mo's last lap was probably twice as quick as I could ever do my first lap. After running 9600 metres. Mental.

All roads lead to Gorgie

BMX races are insane

For ten year olds I agree. For adults just strange !

For ten year olds I agree. For adults just strange !

Why strange? No more strange than kicking inflated leather around a park for 90 mins really tbh and it requires skill and an element of bravery/fearlessness

Why strange? No more strange than kicking inflated leather around a park for 90 mins really tbh and it requires skill and an element of bravery/fearlessness

BMX racing just isn't an Olympic sport.

Should be kept to the X Games, which are excellent.

BMX racing just isn't an Olympic sport.

Should be kept to the X Games, which are excellent.

Tbh that is a fair point it does seem strange having it in the olympics

All roads lead to Gorgie

Adults on bikes that are far too small for them just looks odd but they are fearless I will give them that. Could they not do the same on mountain bikes though which would be more grown up surely !

Some good points on here

Probably all or most sports have a case.

First thought was the open water swim partly as they are drinking sewage and it seems to be all out punching and kicking at times.

The triathlon always seems tough - pretty amazing to do three tough sports one after the other.

But listening to the cyclists talk about their training it's as tough as the training you do.

Being interviewed by Claire Feckin Balding.

But seriously the women's hockey looks dangerous.

One GB lassie got a ball in the mouth.

Matron_6.jpg

Archived