Portugal

King of the North

King of the North

were very impressive tonight. Slick, fast, technically excellent.

Some very, very good players indeed Bosingwa, Pepe, Deco, Nuno Gomes ... and that boy Ronaldo is a bit of all right with the ball. I reckon they will win it.

Portugal won me a few notes the night so am happy.

Be even happier if they win the tournament @ 7/1.

As will the Mrs be. She gets aw damp even at the mention of Ronaldo. Long necked Gideon lookalike p**ck! :P

ToadKiller Dog

Not sure if they are strong enough at the back ,they dominated turkey but the turks did get round the back of them a few times a better team than turkey may have done more.

the fact that the wont have to play spain, holland ,italy or france

they should at worst make the semis .In with a good shout.

portobellojambo1

Some very, very good players indeed Bosingwa, Pepe, Deco, Nuno Gomes ... and that boy Ronaldo is a bit of all right with the ball. I reckon they will win it.

Thought Portugal played very well, although I also thought Turkey looked a better side than either Switzerland or the Czech Republic despite losing.

Bit early yet to say if they will win it, without seeing what everyone else has to offer, but if they can maintain that standard they will be in the mix somewhere.

King of the North
Thought Portugal played very well, although I also thought Turkey looked a better side than either Switzerland or the Czech Republic despite losing.

Bit early yet to say if they will win it, without seeing what everyone else has to offer, but if they can maintain that standard they will be in the mix somewhere.

Turkey were good too... was some game, I thought. Both sides love the ball, some of the footy was technically superb.

Looking forward to seeing Croatia play, and Spain.

Got ?20 on Croatia at 12-1...

Gigolo-Aunt

Good start from Portugal. Played some decent stuff at times and got through the first game picking up maximum points. They were never really tested by Turkey so it will be interesting to see how they fair against a team who have better attacking options in the last third than the Turkish did. Pretty disapointed with Turkey, they just never looked like they had the belief that they could hurt Portugal.

Out of the two games today, Portugal were easily the best side.

Not really impressed though with the fullback Chelsea have signed. Fast player but his distribution was woeful and he was caught on the ball too much for my liking.

joshmorris1874

Deco's passing was a particular highlight, very impressed with them, although was I the only one disappointed with Ronlados performence? Yes, he was good at times but not his self. Doubt they will win it, much more physical teams than them in the competition.

i know footballs about opinions,

but for me turkey offered nothing going forward yet still managed as someone else said to get round the back of portugal.

portugal whilst having technically good players just dont strike me as a team that will win competitions?

better teams would destroy them imo.

and for the commentators and many others who creme themselves over ronaldo...thought he had a poor game tonight.

shaun.lawson

Very promising start from Portugal. I've tipped Germany, but given their tournament experience and comfortable looking draw, have always regarded Scolari's men as the most likely alternatives: and they're a very serious threat, no doubt about it. Their behaviour tonight was a heck of a lot better than at the World Cup too: just hope it stays that way once we're into the tension of the knockout stages.

My one doubt over them remains their lack of an effective centre forward: God knows, the football they play can be absolutely gorgeous, but too often, there's no real punch at the end of it. Be interesting to see whether Big Phil follows Fergie's lead and moves Ronaldo into a more central position: I thought they looked far more effective when more or less doing this during the second half, against opponents who fought hard, but lacked any real quality, especially up front. 2-0 was about right: my worry from a Portugese point of view, though, is what they were doing still only 1-0 up heading into stoppage time.

Dr Ian Malcolm

Got a ?5 on them at sevens, and the same amount on Germany at fours. The 2nd goalscorer won me a few quid on the sweep we had going as well. So far, so good.

Took Klose for top scorer at tens.

Ryan Gosling

If Ronaldo wins player of the tournament will people say he has to prove himself at another World Cup to be the best?

Buffalo Bill

Fast, slick and attacking. Easy on the eye.

Will they win it? Dunno, but they won't be far away.

Buffalo Bill

Guest S.U.S.S.

Dont know why, i just cant see them winning it, cant say who will till i see the rest, just dont think they have the bottle for it. As you say tho, some v good players, just not sure they are a team.

Archived